White fouling or why you need a humidifier filter
Today let’s talk about a very hot topic, namely white plaque on furniture when using an ultrasonic humidifier. This is the most common question people have before buying a humidifier. does it leave fouling? Let’s look into what kind of plaque it is, where and why it comes from, and what to do to never have it.
A little preview: humidifiers, air washers. it’s all a product of conscious demand. It is bought when a person really starts to care about their health, this product needs to grow up, it is not for everyone. If you approach the issue of choice of such equipment thoroughly and get to the right seller, he will pick up the most correct humidifier, with which you will not have problems and use that will be a pleasure! But that’s a perfect scenario that doesn’t happen very often.
As most often happens: a man goes to a large grocery store and sees a humidifier there Buy it, because it is fashionable / useful / heard somewhere / has Tanya from next door. They bring it home, start using it, then a white deposit, then the humidifier itself fails, and that’s it, the hatred and the worst associations at the mere mention of the word “humidifier” are assured.
After that people go on the Internet and start to write under each video/text/review. we know your humidifiers, they ruined my whole apartment, white sludge everywhere, they scraped a ton of sand out of the TV and the like. First, don’t listen to these people: they bought very low-quality appliances (read. gono), their motive for buying was not a true need for the equipment in question, but simply a humidifier for humidifier’s sake. They are also very much exaggerate the nature of damage to other household appliances white plaque or even lie about it (it should work out a liter per hour, and plow a week without stopping, so that all plaque is covered, and all the cheap stuff from the stores is the output of no more than 150 grams / hour, that is the word does not moisturize at all).
After reading such opuses of incomprehensible faces suffer from normal people who take their words as naturally true and truthful and begin to cautiously look at all this technique. This is normal, because how can a normal person to know about the peculiarities of the humidifier? Just the first words about the humidifier he saw from some idiot, just no luck.
But there are also normal people who just bought the wrong humidifier (the same appliances in hypermarkets) and realized it, and now choose a good other. If you are reading this and you belong to this group of people. know that you are very good that you have not stopped the first negative experience with the humidifier. After reading our material, you will be an expert on how to prevent white plaque when using a humidifier.
So, what is this white plaque, where does it come from? The white coating is the dust that got wet and dried out. When the dust is dry, it’s in layers and it’s gray, but when it’s wet and has lime scale in the water and everything else it turns white. If you don’t clean it up in time, it will build up. White fouling is precisely a fouling, not scale, as people write. So say that this is “calcium even layers lying around the room” is not quite right.
Our water system is not good, so if you do nothing with water, then we have to breathe the same water, but mixed with air. Solved by improving the water quality / replacement filter cartridge (normal humidifiers filter cartridge is included in the kit).
This applies to very cheap humidifiers from obscure manufacturers. In case of contact with tap water and even after a short period of use you may notice that the surface of the humidifier becomes rough: this means that the casing began to crumble and all those micro-sand plastics fly up together with the humidified air. The plastic used in good humidifiers is always food grade and it doesn’t even react to 90 degree steam.
That is sold in hypermarkets, made of unknown what, about any filter inside or even the possibility to buy it too is out of the question. That is the reason for the extremely low price of the humidifier. bad plastic, which begins to crumble in the second week, the lack of filters to improve water quality. Buying such humidifiers is not necessary! It is about such humidifiers and write most often angry Комментарии и мнения владельцев that he spoiled all covered in white plaque and the like, and then people all their negative experiences are transferred to a very high-quality devices, and scare other people that are going to buy your first humidifier.
There are three solutions to the issue of white plaque in water:
Systematically use a filter cartridge, which will soften the water and remove from the water all unnecessary things that provoke the formation of white sludge. Filters are different and for different amounts of time they last: from 45 days to 8 months. Replacement filter cartridges are the Achilles heel of all ultrasonic humidifiers. If you do not use purified water (more on that later), then the cartridge you will replace about every 3 months, every 3 months you will pay for it: from 300 to 600. With a cartridge, even the cheapest humidifier does not look so cheap anymore. If you do not want to buy a humidifier, and then systematically buy its consumables. look at the air washers.
Use distilled water. without impurities. This is pure H2O, without any foreign matter. At home it is difficult enough to get it, a liter (in bulk purchase) costs about 5. Total 5 liters per day humidifier. 25 multiplied by 30 days and you get 750 months of water for the humidifier. Filter cartridges are less expensive.
Taking water from osmosis. A common filter for distilling tap water into filtered drinking water. It removes all those impurities that provoke the formation of white plaque. Yes, the water will take a long time to flow through all the filters, but in the end you will be able to save on the purchase of the filter. It may be cheaper to buy a filter cartridge, as giving the strain on osmosis in the form of an additional 150 liters/month is likely to provoke more frequent replacement of the filter for osmosis.
We fill up with imported water or bring it from a well from the dacha (if it’s clean there). Again, you need to assess the cost-effectiveness of all these actions. It may be cheaper to buy a filter.
These are the four main ways to combat white plaque buildup on furniture when using an ultrasonic humidifier. You may have good water at home and no replacement filters are needed, then you are in luck. But in any case, during the operation of the humidifier you can not miss the appearance of white fouling, if it was not before (while the filter was alive, for example).
If the water quality in your home is above average, then the filter will live longer. Perhaps you will not use the humidifier all year round, but only during the heating period, which is 6-7 months. As part of this use, spending about a thousand a year on cartridges no longer looks so scary. The easiest. just buy an extra cartridge right away along with the humidifier, don’t beat yourself up with. “I’ll buy later / or maybe I won’t need it and the like”. You are not just buying a filter cartridge, but security for your interior, no need to run out and buy this consumable. Buy a humidifier and filter cartridge at once is easier than first one and then the other.
Do not be alarmed, white fouling can only be found in ultrasonic humidifiers (from which a cloud of mist comes out), humidifiers with a traditional humidification system, steam humidifiers, air washers do not have this problem. Yes, they cost a little more, but they humidify longer (with the exception of steam humidifiers). If you fundamentally do not even want to think about consumables, and you just want to fill the tank with water, then the perfect choice for you are air washers. They have no consumables at all.
Friends, thank you for reading this text to the end. We tried to give the most detailed answer and description of the situation with white plaque and how to prevent it. Buy a good humidifier (our website presents only good humidifiers, we know all about each of them, ranging from the simplest to the most complex and multi-functional) and breathe humidified air 🙂
Modern humidifiers are mostly ultrasonic models. They can make the air not only sufficiently humidified, but also cleaner. Filter cartridges were invented for this purpose, which act in several directions:
- PP-filter is the first barrier to large dust particles, hair, pet hair, lint from clothing. It also prolongs the service life of the finer HEPA filter.
- High-tech HEPA is able to clean the air from the smallest dust particles, other household allergens and microorganisms, and it is also needed to combat unpleasant odors. The main thing why a humidifier needs a HEPA filter protection against respiratory diseases and relief for people with inhalation allergies, who need to keep the house particularly clean.
- charcoal. The best known natural adsorbent, activated carbon, is used in this aftertreatment step. It also filters out microorganisms, allergens, and fights odors very well.
- Ceramic is needed to protect the device and its surroundings from the impurities contained in hard tap water. The thing is that these salt deposits accumulate on the membrane and other parts of the humidifier, eventually putting it out of operation. Mineral impurities also coat your surroundings with white plaque. It is not only an aesthetic problem plaque can irreparably damage books, paintings, furniture, etc. To reduce water hardness, prevent white plaque and increase life span of your appliances that’s why you need a ceramic filter in your humidifier.
- Filter with ion exchange resin. Inside the filter there is a granulate of polymeric materials, which purifies tap water from mineral impurities. As we have already found out, it increases the life of the device, prevents the appearance of white plaque on the surrounding objects.
Humidifiers with several filter cartridges such as HEPA and carbon filter cartridges clean the air most effectively.
Why do you need a removable cartridge for your humidifier and what kinds of filters are available??
The main task of any humidifier is to create a favorable climate in the room by saturating the air with enough moisture. An important element of the device is the filter, the quality of which you should pay attention to at the time of purchase.
About what is a filter for a humidifier, what function it performs and what features it has, and today we will talk.
How does the filtration system work?
Filters are an integral part of the humidifier, through which the fan drives the air.
In the vast majority of cases, devices are equipped with three types of filters:
Depending on the type, the filters in the humidifier have the following functions:
- Soften hard water and clean it from impurities;
- The filters are dust and animal hairs;
- Clean the air of microorganisms and bacteria.
The result is not only more humid but also more hygienic indoor air.
What kinds are available??
To date, the main types of replacement filters for humidifiers experts believe:
- Coarse filters. Are part of the standard humidifiers. Made of plastic or metal mesh stretched over a frame. Large cells of the element retain large dust particles and pet hair.
- Activated charcoal filters. Considered the most effective. It is based on activated carbon. In addition to cleaning the air from different impurities, the filter retains bacteria, viruses, allergens, and rid the air of cinders, tobacco smoke and unpleasant smells.
- HEPA filters. Considered the most technologically advanced. Are replaceable and washable. Traps the smallest particles of dust, hair and hair up to 0.3 microns in size. Clean the air from radiation elements. For more efficient operation, some filter systems of this type are equipped with plates of metal with an electromagnetic field around them that attracts microdust particles.
- Photocatalytic filters. Act as a humidifier and air purifier. Manufactured as a cassette with ultraviolet lamp and catalyst, the interaction between which creates a substance that destroys microorganisms and bacteria.
- Electrostatic filters. Used in ultrasonic devices. Particles polluting the air are attracted to the filter by the generated electrostatic charge. The air is ionized at the same time.
What kind of filter is used in an ultrasonic humidifier?
Due to the peculiarities of design and operation of ultrasonic humidifiers, in devices of this type cartridge filters are used, designed to purify and soften water by reducing the concentration of minerals in it.
Filler adsorbs mineral salts and other impurities from water, making tap water suitable for use in ultrasound devices and preventing white plaque on surfaces in close proximity to humidifier.
Are there any with antibacterial effect?
As already mentioned, some types of filters also have an antibacterial effect (charcoal, photocatalytic). However, silver rods are particularly effective in this regard. It’s hard to call them filter elements, one rod performs an antibacterial function by disinfecting the water and saturating it with ions.
Manufacturers assure that the silver rod has a powerful antibacterial effect, and combined with a carbon cartridge makes indoor air fresh and truly healing.
The most popular filters for Philips brand devices are:
- Philips HU4801 (Philips AVENT) humidifier filter:
- product model: HU4102/01;
- purpose: for Philips HU4801/4802/4803;
- features: retains lime impurities and destroys microbes;
- Philips HU4903 humidifier filter:
- product model: HU4101/01;
- purpose: for Philips HU4901/4902/4903;
- Features: Keeps germs, bacteria, lime dust and mold out of the air;
- Filter for Philips AC4155 00 humidifier:
- product model: AC4155/00;
- purpose: for AC4080/4081;
Model 7531 AG Antibacterial Ion Cartridge Filter is collapsible and reusable. So, instead of replacing the entire filter, you can change just the filter head (granulate).
The cartridge is compatible with such humidifier models as:
The filter for the BONECO 7135 humidifier is the same as for the above-mentioned Electrolux brand devices. ionic filter cartridge 7531 AG
The following types of filters are used for BORK brand humidifiers:
- filter for humidifier BORK H501:
- model: H701 NS;
- type: ionic;
- purpose: to soften water;
- Filter for BORK H700 humidifier:
- model: H701 NS;
- type: ionic;
- purpose: water softening;
- BORK H701 NS air humidifier cartridge:
- model: Natural Shield;
- purpose: to prevent the growth of fungi and mold;
The most common filter cartridge used for the ultrasonic humidifiers brand SUPRA is a replacement model HDS-F1. This element is designed to soften water and remove impurities that can shorten the life of the device.
Average per piece.
For Ballu brand humidifiers the most commonly used filter cartridges of the following types:
- purpose: Ballu UHB-550E;
- type: filter cartridge;
- features: filtration of hard components (magnesium and calcium);
KAMBROOK AHF NS humidifier cartridge contains ion-exchange resin, due to which it effectively cleans water from harmful compounds and impurities that can settle on the components of the device.
Evaporative filter ATMOS AQUA 3800 is designed for use in humidifiers with the same name.
Features of usage
To date, quite in demand replacement humidifiers with removable filters are traditional humidifiers without filter, also called air washers. These devices are designed primarily to purify the air from allergens, dust and odors.
The process of cleaning is carried out without any filters or cartridges. only discs and water are used. Some devices operate with hydrofiltration technology.
In the first case, the principle of operation is to pass air through special rotating plates, partially immersed in water. Blown fan air passes through humidified plates, during the rotation of which the contaminants get wet, increase in weight and settle in a bowl of water. Treated airflow exits the unit through a dedicated opening on the side or top of the unit, depending on the model.
In air washers with a hydrofilter the role of the circulating blower is played by a cone instead of a drum with plates. Airflow drawn in from the room into the device passes through the air-dispersed environment created by the cone, and thus purified and humidified. This type of sinks is rarely used in everyday life.
The most popular representatives of air washers without replaceable filter are:
- Boneco W2055DR:
- Serviced area: 50 m2;
- Tank capacity: 7 l;
- water consumption: 300ml/h;
- noise level: 25 dB;
- dimensions: 360x360x360 mm;
- Venta LW44:
- serviceable area: 44 m2;
- tank capacity: 10 l;
- water consumption: 252 ml/h;
- noise level: 42 dB;
- dimensions: 420x330x300 mm;
- Electrolux EHAW 7525D:
- serviceable area: 50 m2;
- tank capacity: 7 l;
- water consumption: 500 ml/h;
- dimensions: 336x407x323 mm;
Whether and how often to change the filter in a humidifier?
Humidifiers with removable filters require regular change of the consumables. The frequency of filter change depends on the type of device, frequency of use and water quality.
The average life of a filter cartridge is 3 months. However, in appliances located in children’s rooms, experts recommend changing the filter more frequently once every 30-60 days.
How to use it properly?
Filter replacement should be done according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
How to clean the filter: instructions and video
If the humidifier is operated daily, the filter should be cleaned at least once every 10 days.
Experienced users recommend soaking the filter in warm vinegar solution for an hour. If the cleaning time is not long enough, the soak time can be extended.
At the end of the procedure you need to squeeze the water out of the filter and let it dry.
A video on this topic can be found here:
In Moscow, the sale of filters for air humidifiers are engaged in such companies as:
- “Silver Steam:
- official website: https://silverpar.ru;
- Address: the city of Moscow, Leningradsky Prospect, 80k1;
- phone: 7 (495) 005-56-14.
- official website: https://www.mediamarkt.ru;
- Address: 62 Rublevskoye shosse, Moscow;
- phone: 7 (499) 272-29-00.
- official website: https://www.irrigator.ru;
- address: city of Moscow, Shchelkovskoe highway, 3, office 610;
- phone: 7 (495) 363-45-77.
In St. Petersburg, you can buy filters for a humidifier at the following organizations:
- “Mir vozduha:
- official website: https://www.mir-vozduha.ru;
- address: St. Petersburg, Bestuzhevskaya street, 10, section 165;
- telephone: 7 (812) 313-22-65.
- official website: https://spb.lubluteplo.ru;
- Address: 8 Sofiiskaya St., Building 5, St. Petersburg;
- phone: 7 (812) 245-69-47.
- official website: https://spb.lubluteplo.ru;
- address: the city of St. Petersburg, Prospekt Sizova, 2;
- phone: 7 (812) 336-37-77.
Thus, filters allow humidifiers not only to saturate the air with moisture, but also to clean it from harmful impurities. It is worth bearing in mind that in the vast majority of filters and cartridges are consumables and require regular replacement, so if you are not ready for the additional expense item to give preference to humidifiers without replacement filters.
UV Lens Filters: Necessary or Nuisance?
Removable filter for the humidifier is part of its design. The filter element traps particles of dust, pet hair, microorganisms and pathogenic bacteria in the air, which can be harmful to the health of the inhabitants. Choosing a humidifier with a quality filter element, you can protect the occupants of the house from allergies, as well as various respiratory diseases and upper respiratory tract diseases.
To date, there are such types of filters for humidifiers:
- Coarse cleaning. often it represents a frame with a metal or plastic grid stretched on it with rather big cells. Thanks to such design the air stream is cleaned of large dust particles, insects, pet hairs, etc. Most often used in traditional humidifiers and air washers.
- Carbon filters for humidifier. They are based on activated carbon, which is able to trap not only bacteria and allergens, but also unpleasant smells, tobacco smoke, cinders and other impurities in the air.
- HEPA filters for the humidifier are the most high-tech devices for capturing micro-particles in the air. They are classified according to their degree of purification. The most expensive models capture 99.998% of impurities.
- Photocatalytic filters for a humidifier. They are used in air purifiers with a humidification function. Element is a cassette with a catalyst and an ultraviolet lamp. When UV rays and a catalyst interact, a special substance with high oxidizing power is produced. When the air flow goes through this substance, there is a destruction of almost all mechanical and organic constituents, due to which there is a high degree of purification of the air mixture.
- Electrostatic. They are most often used in ultrasonic devices. The filter consists of several panels which generate an electrostatic charge in the air stream. Dust adheres to the positively charged plates and settles in the special vessel. The electrostatic effect produces ionization of the air, i.e.е. production of negatively charged ions in it.
What does a humidifier do why you need it
Humidifiers without a filter
Along with devices equipped with a filter system, humidifiers without replaceable filters are in demand, called “air washers. Their task is to clean the air from unpleasant odors, dust and various allergens.
Filters are not used in such a device, cleaning is done with water and discs, as well as through hydrofiltration.
Humidifiers are used to eliminate dry air, and to clean the air of dust and allergens, they need to “wash” it. In order not to spend money on the purchase of two devices, you can buy a “sink” that supports the humidification function.
Functions performed by filters
Not all types of humidifiers are equipped with filters, but if they are present, they solve extremely important problems:
- trap dust (coarse filters)
- eliminate odors
- Pet hair and skin particles
- pathogenic bacteria and microorganisms
- Clean the air from tobacco smoke and chemical emissions from industrial plants (charcoal cartridges)
This significantly improves health, and allergy sufferers and people suffering from respiratory diseases, are simply necessary.
A humidifier with a filter results not only in humidified air but also in clean and sometimes healthy air (when it has antimicrobial functions).
This is the case with filters that are constructed with silver-containing parts (rods). By themselves they do not filter the air, but disinfecting water and saturating it with silver ions, have antibacterial properties. And if you combine them with charcoal cartridges, then the air in your home will not only be fresh but also healing.
In ultrasonic models, the filter cleans the water from metal salts, lime, rust, preventing them from entering the air. Use of untreated water will lead to the fact that salts will be deposited on the items of interior, plants and walls, as well as inhaled and enter the lungs. This can cause a worsening of asthma and other bronchopulmonary diseases.
Particular attention should be paid to the quality and regular replacement of filters in ultrasonic models. Due to the design features of the device, the water is taken from the tank, ultrasound is converted into a mist, then forcibly discharged into the atmosphere with the help of a fan. Therefore it is advisable not to use tap water but distilled water. This will increase the life of the filter.
In cold-type appliances, in which water simply evaporates naturally, the filter is in the form of a foam pad that traps microparticles of dust.
Steam humidifiers have no filters at all, and limescale and dirt are removed by regular washing and mechanical cleaning with special appliances.
Filter in the humidifier for air purification
Most models of humidifiers provides air purification. It is carried out by installing filtering equipment of varying degrees of complexity in the device. To achieve the result of humidifying the air with a high degree of purification, multi-level filters are used, which are able to remove most of the foreign particles from the incoming flow of the device. How does the filtering equipment in humidifiers work?
To achieve quality air purification and humidification, you need to know about filters for special devices
Types of replaceable filters for humidifiers
The following types of filters are used in humidifiers today:
- Rough Cleaner. Looks like a frame with a grid of plastic or metal with meshes. Air passing through the design leaves particles of dust, hair, insects and other contaminants in the filter material. This type of filter is installed in air washers and in conventional humidifiers.
- Charcoal. They work on the activated carbon. It traps not only dirt, but also odors, cinders, and smoke.
- HEPA. These are high-tech filters that can trap up to 99% of contaminants. Different models differ in the degree of air purification.
- Photocatalytic. Designed for purifiers with humidifying function. Looks like a cassette with a UV lamp and catalyst. When they interact, a substance with high oxidative properties is produced. The air passing through the filter breaks down organic and mechanical constituents, resulting in a cleaner air stream.
- Electrostatic. Used in ultrasonic devices. Consists of plates that create an electrostatic charge in the air stream. Negatively charged ions are generated in the air, i.e. ionization of the air is achieved.
Each of these filter types has its advantages and disadvantages. HEPA, photocatalytic and electrostatic filters are considered more modern and are more often found in devices for humidification and air purification.
With each passing day, more and more confidently in household use is not a familiar product for many users. air humidifier.
In our previous article “Neoclima humidifiers. How to choose and what you need”, we dealt with what this wonder of technology and how to choose it correctly for your room.
And today we would like to talk about and dispel the most common myths about humidification, namely devices that do it.
Myth 1. Excessive use of a humidifier will create a damp, unpleasant microclimate in the room
The percentage of probability of such a situation is practically zero. And that if we are talking about a steam humidifier. Basically, all modern units of this type have a built-in hygrostat, which controls the humidity level. Yes, and the user himself, feeling that the air is sufficiently humidified, can turn off the device.
Myth 2. White deposits on furniture when using an ultrasonic humidifier
Such an effect is created by the water itself rather than the equipment. The tap water is often hard, with various impurities of salts, chlorine, etc.д. But in Neoclima humidifiers, you can use a removable water treatment cartridge, thereby no fouling is formed.
Myth 3. Humidifier spreads and pollutes the air in the room
It’s all clear with this one! Basically, every humidifier has a filter, rod or cartridge, to purify the water. Naturally all such filters need to be changed, according to the instructions. And the water tank should be cleaned so that all sorts of contaminants do not collect there.
Everything an Air Purifier Can and Can’t Do
Myth 4. If you have air conditioning, the humidifier is useless
Just the opposite. It’s no secret that an air conditioner. dries the air. Of course, if it does not have a built-in humidification function, then the conversation is different, but this is rare. It is right to use the air conditioner with the humidifier.
Myth 5. A humidifier is bad for your health
This opinion is associated with ultrasonic humidifiers. One word “ultrasound” is more frightening and gives rise to fantasies of danger and harm to health. It is believed that ultrasound is bad for pets and humans as well.
Let’s face it. Humidifiers use specially calculated sound wave levels. Man is not able to hear the range of the ultrasonic membrane of the humidifier, as well as cats and dogs.
We can confidently state that such equipment is absolutely safe for a living organism.