Why do you need salt for the dishwasher?
The dishwasher is a kitchen appliance that greatly simplifies cooking, cleaning. As well as any technique, it needs correct operation, in this case in observance of rules concerning washing of dishes. In order for the device to wash off the remains of food and dirt from the kitchen utensils qualitatively, you need detergents, special salt for dishwashers. Especially when the water in the city water supply contains a high percentage of calcium/magnesium, buy special tablets with a special composition.
What variants of salt for the dishwasher are presented, what are its features, the nuances of use. about this further in the article. In addition, let’s consider a list of the most commonly used products.
What to buy?
In stores selling household chemicals, there is a large selection of salts for the washing machine: cheap, expensive, from the middle price range. What are their differences, and what to prefer? Let’s review the most popular brands.
Products from the domestic manufacturer. Takes a place among the market leaders. Sold in packs of 1.5 kilograms for 200-300. This packaging lasts about three months. If converted to the number of washes, 1.5 kg is enough for 25-30 cycles. Its properties:
- Softens water, prevents the formation of limescale;
- Contributes to the formation of foam. on the plates after washing does not remain ugly smudges;
- Improves the quality of washing dishes.
A budget product with excellent properties. It costs half as much as “Finish”. about 150, but works just as well. Crystals are large in size, due to this the drug is consumed economically. The harder the water, the higher the consumption. Under the same brand you can find tablets for washing, which contain salt granules. If you can use the “three-in-one” agent in your machine, this tablet product is suitable.
Made of ordinary refined salt. Nothing superfluous in it, no additives. For environmental friendliness you have to pay the price of quality of washing. it is lower than with other preparations. Sold in 2kg packs. Use the pack for about one year. usage depends on water hardness.
Often products with labels indicating environmental friendliness are unnecessarily expensive. The “eco” and “bio” labels are nothing more than an advertising ploy.
A rare product. Comes in a 4kg bag and only costs 500. A good softener. Prevents the formation of rust.
Available in tablet form. Contains NaCl crystals. 1.5 kg of pills sells for 450.
How to put salt in the dishwasher for the first time
As you know, not only detergents are used in dishwashers, but salt is also added to them. This substance, in addition to increasing the service life of the dishwasher, has a positive effect on the quality of its work in general. However, it is necessary to take into account some nuances when using it. Let’s figure out how properly and how often to use and change this component, as well as how much salt to put in the dishwasher.
How to set the hardness?
Most machines have seven levels. from 0 to 7. “0”. very soft, “7”. very hard water. When setting the level is evaluated:
- Region of use.
- Use special test strips.
- They use the household method. wash your hands with laundry soap. If you have to rinse out the foam for a long time, the softness is high. If the foam is quickly flushed. high hardness.
If 3-in-1 tablets are used, the salt sensor can be turned off and the hardness level set to zero. But keep in mind, if you set “0” and water goes through the ion exchanger. does not bypass it, then the latter may be clogged, then the liquid will stop flowing into the machine at all. You either have to change the ion exchanger or buy another PM.
How to choose
The range of manufactured salt for dishwashers is large, so every consumer will be able to choose products to their taste and wallet. The most popular variant is considered to be a granular (crystalline) product, packed in cardboard boxes or plastic bags. The preparation with regenerating properties is produced by all leading producers of household detergents for washing machines:
- Clean Fresh.
- Gut Günting.
- Magic Power.
- Paclan Brileo.
- Top House.
Another form of release. tablet salt for the dishwasher, which has the form of bulk tablets. Such products are presented in the market by several brands:
Some housewives are trying to save money in the family budget, so instead of a special agent use table salt of different grind. This should not be done in any way, because over time, the ion exchanger and other parts of the dishwasher will be clogged with foreign impurities present in the untreated kitchen product, will fail and require costly repairs.
Tips for using regenerating salt
- Adjust the operation of the softener, according to the water hardness level. In more modern and expensive models, this function is set automatically, but some models come with special strips to test the level of hardness on their own.
- The product can be poured when the indicator shows a value of 2-3, but not 0.
- If the salt shortage indicator blinks on the control panel, you should refill the detergent. If this symbol is not displayed on the panel, refill the detergent when the colored marking on the water softener tank is not visible.
Be careful!! Pour the detergent into the sodium chloride tank can not. Otherwise it can lead to a breakdown of the water softener, which can only be repaired.
The most popular and popular salt brands
- Our domestic manufacturer of various detergents Finish has long ago established itself as a producer of high-quality and effective products. Thousands of customers who use the products of this brand, respond only positively about its products. Including, on the market there is a salt solution for dishwashers from this manufacturer. Means enough for 25-30 processes of washing dishes. The product is characterized by an affordable
- One of the most affordable and accessible brands of salt is “Magic Power”. Despite the fairly low
- Another effective and efficient tool is Topperr. Available in tablets or in large crystals. The composition is chosen in such a way that it softens the water, making the dishes very clean and shiny. For a pack of 1.5 kilograms or 167 tabs you’ll pay around 450.
Do not underestimate the importance of sodium chloride for dishwashers, because its action is really priceless. Thanks to this very product your dishwasher will serve you faithfully for many years, because the salt removes parts and mechanisms of technology from the harmful influence of limescale and impurities, which are in dirty tap water. And it’s the salt that cleans stubborn dirt, giving your dishes a beautiful shine and whiteness.
Today on the market of chemical detergents, there is a huge selection of different brands and manufacturers of specialized salts for dishwashers, so you can choose anything by your wallet and to your taste. Do not skimp on this tool, because later repairs can cost you a lot more. It’s not for nothing that they say a miser pays twice. A dishwasher is easy to care for. and it pays off handsomely in the long run.
Where to fill salt for dishwashers
Buying a dishwasher relieves your household from the task of washing dishes every day. But to help it perform all its functions properly, and work reliably for years to come, you need to give it the proper care.
To be fully armed after the purchase of such appliances and to have an understanding of what exactly should be used as a hard water softener, in what quantities and where to pour salt in the dishwasher, consider in detail the principle of action of this salt, its functions and forms of release.
Many housewives do not think about why it is necessary to use the considered means in dishwashers. The answer is simple and lies in the useful properties and functions of the substance:
- Softens the water and removes foreign particles and impurities;
- promotes better cleaning of dishes from impurities;
- Restores the stores of ions which have been consumed from the ion exchanger during operation;
- prolongs the life of the appliance and prevents wear and tear on the working elements;
- maintains normal thermal conductivity;
- prevents the occurrence of limescale and plaque.
The use of salt in the dishwasher contributes to the destruction of pathogenic microorganisms and harmful particles. It positively affects human health and prevents the development of diseases of the urinary system
Read more about how to use dishwasher detergent in our other article.
Dishwasher salt functions
Water quality in most regions of Russia leaves much to be desired. Apartment owners prefer to install filters on water pipes, but they don’t always help.
You can tell the hardness of the water by the appearance of faucets in the bathroom and kitchen. White plaque indicates excessive limestone. Tap water contains a certain amount of calcium ions. It precipitates when heated and is gradually compacted to form a thick coat of limescale.
If you use tap water for boiling without filtering it, the kettle gets quickly covered with limescale from inside. The same goes for the heating elements in the dishwasher. The heating tube consumes more energy to heat up water, and at some point the coil burns out under the influence of too high temperature.
Most of Russian PMs have a built-in sodium chloride ion exchange resin filter. Water passes through it, and the magnesium and calcium ions with positive charge settle on the resin particles. The water becomes saturated with negative sodium ions and becomes softer.
The resin loses its original properties over time and needs to be regenerated with sodium chloride. Dishwasher’s ion exchanger is equipped with a salt reservoir. The salt indicator light signals that it is time to replenish the salt.
Warning! The amount of salt used per wash cycle can be adjusted manually or automatically according to the water hardness.
The water softener control is located on the dishwasher lid. Most models have an option to set 7 levels: 0 for soft water, 7 for hard water. The level is determined by the amount of combined detergents and water quality.
To set the correct mode, water quality is assessed:
How do I refill my Dishwasher with salt and rinse aid
- draws information from the Internet depending on the region;
- use indicator strips;
- Soap your hands with an ordinary household soap. if the foam rinses off quickly, the water is hard, if it takes a long time, the water is soft;
- Visually assess the presence of plaque on the plumbing.
Synopsis. Sodium cation exchange is the chemical process of exchanging sodium ions for magnesium and calcium ions that affect water hardness. Sodium ions are added to the water as they are depleted to restore the ion exchange resin.
The functions of sodium salt for the dishwasher:
- softening water for washing;
- restoring the stock of sodium in the ion exchanger;
- The cleavage of limescale on metal elements;
- improving the quality of washing;
- Protects the dishes and the human body from the negative effects of limescale deposits.
Dishwasher tablets, can you use dietary salt for pmm: Tips
Why the dishwasher needs to be filled with specially treated sodium chloride? This is due primarily to the dishwasher‘s construction and the hardness of the water. It’s common knowledge that tap water can be very hard, which is indicated by lime scale in the kettle, lime runoff on taps, etc.д.
When water is heated to a high temperature, its constituent calcium and magnesium salts precipitate out, which we call scale. Scale shortens the life of the dishwasher heating element. A special reservoir filled with ionized resin has been inserted into the dishwasher unit for this purpose. The water passing through the resin becomes softer because the positively charged calcium or magnesium ions are attracted to the negatively charged sodium ions in the resin. The water in the dishwasher tank is already soft.
Over time, the resin’s ability to soften water decreases. In order to regenerate it, you need to add the sodium ions contained in the salt to the resin. If salt is not used, the ion exchanger will soon fail, and the harder the water, the faster this will happen. Thus, salt is essential:
- To soften the water;
- Prevent the appearance of scale on the heater and the inner surface of the tank;
- To wash dishes better, because we know that in soft water all washed and scrubbed much more effectively.
Using salt in the dishwasher is a must, but you can do it in different ways. If the water in your area is soft enough, the salt can be replaced with tablets for washing dishes, which already contain salt. But if the water is hard (you can find this out with a special test strip), it is necessary to use salt separately. After all, if it is not poured into the ion exchanger, it will be clogged with sediments and will break, since the water will constantly flow directly through it. As a result, without repair can not do.
For your information! In some models of dishwashers, when using tablets, water bypasses the ion exchanger, which will not affect its performance.
When there is not enough salt in the ion exchanger, the indicator light on the dishwasher panel lights up. Need to add salt to the tank, the question arises how much? You can pour more at once, but so that the compartment is not too full. How much salt is enough, depends on the quality of water, the harder it is, the higher the consumption. When using tablets with m salt, the question of how much salt to pour in, does not arise, there is as much salt in it as dissolves in one washing cycle. For a small dishwasher, such a tablet can be divided in half, but not ground into a powder.
Special or edible: is there a difference?
The need for salt in the dishwasher is more than understandable. But is it possible to replace the special salt with common table salt, if their composition is 98% the same, despite the fact that table salt is several times cheaper than special salt? But there are still differences between them.
- First, table salt differs in the size of granules and appearance.
- Secondly, table salt is less pure than special salt, even though it is a food salt. It may contain inclusions of sand grains, as you saw in the photo, as well as a lot of trace elements: iron, manganese, potassium, iodine, boron and others. Some of these elements will settle inside the dishwasher, which can affect its operation.
- Thirdly, the speed of dissolution of table salt is different from the special. Because it is finer, it dissolves faster.
If you change the regenerating salt for table salt, you should use Extra salt because it is better processed. But even in this case, before pouring salt into the compartment, look for obvious impurities and pebbles.
The important thing is ! Do not fill the salt reservoir to the top of the salt reservoir, otherwise it may not dissolve and stick at all.
So, it is necessary to use salt for the dishwasher, but why and how much, we hope you’ve figured it out. It’s for you to decide which salt to use: the more expensive one, but certainly without any impurities, or the cheaper one, but with a risk of damaging the dishwasher.
Different brands of dishwasher salt are sold in stores.
The composition of store-bought products does not differ much from each other.
Some users try replacing the dishwasher salt with table salt. Such experiments can end badly for the machine. Food salts will clog the filter and clog the entire system.
Depending on the form, salt can be tablet or granular. The convenience of tablets is that they are ready-made “doses”. One piece is consumed in one “run”. Granulated version consists of small particles, the dosage of which the owner of the machine determines himself. Manufacturers of automatic washing machines recommend to buy the granulated version. For dishwashers, special funnels for salt are made. They make it easier to pour the product.