Why is the top thread constantly torn?
The main and most important cause is great tension on the thread. Use the adjuster and loosen the tension to a normal level. This must be done every time you change needle types, fabric types, thread types. Other sources of the problem are:
- The needle is installed incorrectly, it is deformed and touches the walls in the needle plate. Thread is caught on related parts, which leads to thread breaks. It can rub against the sole of the foot or the latch of the bobbin case. Most often such problems occur on equipment from manufacturers Podolsk and Singer. Also, the needle can touch the parts and because of a defect in the bobbin case spring, which is why the latch is not completely retracted.
- Incorrect spring installation in tension adjuster. Note that the wide coils should be on the body side of the machine. You should also check the ease of movement in the axis.
- Too little tension. Associated with the fact that in the shuttle compartment formed large loops, which begin to tangle and lead to breakage.
- The tensioner is not assembled according to instructions. Before calling a specialist with the technical literature that came with the technique and perform the assembly according to the rules. If you are having trouble, call us for a consultation or call a technician.
- Low quality threads. There are knots in them or they have lost their strength, causing them to tear under even the slightest effort. Quite often this problem occurs when using supplies from old Soviet stocks.
- Incorrect needle selection. As an example, the thread will tear when installing a thin needle to work with thick material.
- Parts in contact with the threads are broken. There may be nicks and chips on them.
- Incorrect winding of bobbin case. The thread is tangled or it is caught on the screw on the bobbin case.
- Use a large bobbin from an industrial machine. Follow the operating instructions and do not use the wrong parts.
How to adjust the bobbin thread yourself
Incorrect threading is the most common cause of thread clumping when using a sewing machine. First thing to do: Check that the thread is correctly wound. This applies not only to the upper thread but also to the lower thread. Refill both according to the machine manual and try to operate the unit again.
Also, the tangle appears because the threads are unevenly stretched: the upper thread is adjusted with the correcting plates, and the distance between them is determined with a switch that is installed on the body of the device. As for the bottom, it is regulated by the plates of the bobbin case. To adjust the tension, you will need to take a screwdriver, remove the presser foot and needle plate, and then use the tool to turn the screw of the bobbin case to increase or decrease the tension of the thread.
If the lower thread does not hold the upper thread, and it climbs up while the machine is in use, then the stitches may look sloppy or tangled at all. In this case, you need to increase the tension of the lower by sliding the plate. This is done by tightening the screw on the bobbin case. After tightening the screw, you need to check the operation of the machine. If everything is normal, you can continue sewing.
Mini Sewing Machine Bobbin Threading Problem? Bobbin threading SOLVED!!!
Thread can become tangled if the bobbin is incorrectly positioned. To adjust everything, you need to use the instructions for the device. When repairing, you will hear the typical machine click shuttle.
If the tension is normal, but the sewing machine does not work well, it may be the device itself. It may be defective. Then, to adjust its work, you need to contact a master who knows how to repair sewing machines. Or replace the device with a new one. If it is a small defect on the hook, you need to remove the needle plate and visually assess what the thread is bumping. To do this, turn the lift lever wheel, gently pull out the hook and look at it. If there is a burr, it should be removed with a scalpel or other sharp object. After removing the defect, put everything back and check the operation of the device.
How to fix your thread looping under the fabric
Why the sewing machine tears the upper thread: the wrong materials
The cause of thread ripping in a typewriter may lie not only in the improper installation of parts, but also in the wrong choice of materials. If the reason that the machine does not sew as it should, then solve the problem will not be difficult. You just need to replace the materials with more suitable ones.
Because of what tangles and rips thread in the machine:
- If you’re using thread from old stock, pay attention to its quality. Cotton threads with knots will constantly tear. Also, don’t use thread that is too thick. Forty-five do not like imported machines such as Janome and Brother and mini PMZ.
- The wrong needle can cause thread breaks. These tools need to be matched to the thickness of the fabric you are sewing. Otherwise the buttonholes will not be neat, and your sewing will have an untidy appearance.
- The problem may lie in a defective needle. Check the edges and the eye and spout of the needle. If they have jagged edges, change the needle for a new one.
- If the bobbin is too large or small, the thread will not wind up correctly while sewing, causing it to tear. The bobbin has to be the right size for your machine.
It doesn’t matter if you have a manual, foot, or electric machine, the wrong materials will lead to thread breaks. To correct this problem you need to check all materials, find the wrong one and replace it with a new one.
How to correct the cause yourself
The most common causes of breakage are improperly used materials. In this case it is only necessary to review all threads and needles for defects, and change them.
You also need to check the thread tension. A properly adjusted tension must weave the thread from the inside, not the top of the material. It is best to adjust only the tension of the upper thread. Adjusting the lower part is done only in emergency situations.
If the binding has become tight and the material has started to wrinkle, it is also due to improper thread tension. In this case you need to make adjustments to both the tension and the length of the string. For thick material, the length must be increased, for thin material, the length must be decreased.
If the tension is normal, you need to check if the needle hits the plate hole correctly. To do this, slowly turn the wheel, and using a magnifying glass, make sure that the needle does not touch the walls of the hole.
Make sure the spring is in the correct position. If the main part protrudes in the wrong direction, it must be turned around. If the slot is severely overtightened, unscrew the nut slightly.
You must also make sure that the regulator, which controls the voltage, is properly assembled. What the sewing machine instruction manual will be needed for. You need to pay attention to both the correct positioning of the parts and which side they are unfolded.
It is not uncommon for thread breaks to occur after disassembling various parts of the sewing machine. As a rule, the problem is in the wrong mounting of the tappet. if this part is accidentally installed in the other side, when the flattened part of the tappet is turned to the lever, it will certainly lead to breakage. Sometimes this element is not installed in place at all. You should also pay attention to the pressure washer, it is probably also incorrectly installed.
If the machine has recently been disassembled, you need to make sure that all the elements are in place, they are not deformed and are securely attached. If a part is missing, it needs to be ordered.
Important! Most often the problem of a broken thread can be corrected by yourself. But if the problem persists after all the steps you’ve taken, you need to call your adjuster.
Sewing Machine Tension Issues SOLVED
Why is the sewing machine ripping the upper or lower thread?
Situations when a sewing machine rips thread are not always caused by serious defects in technology, but they can create a lot of inconvenience to the seamstress, reduce the quality of sewing. Your machine constantly cuts the upper or lower thread? Call the Association of Private Masters Igolka at 8 (495) 745-20-50. We specialize in sewing machine repair. Our specialists are experienced in adjusting, servicing and repairing models of different brands. We repair both domestic and industrial machines, offering our services to both private customers and small sewing companies. We carry out repair of sewing equipment at the home of the customer, leaving at a convenient time for him. Most problems can be repaired on the same day.
Why the upper thread breaks?
Before you call for sewing machine repair, try to check something: maybe the cause is easy to fix and you can handle it yourself.
- Thread tension. Try loosening the upper thread first, to the point where it becomes slightly looped. Then gradually tighten the regulator to the desired level. Conversely, if the tension is too low, the machine tangles the threads and creates knots, which also tear the thread. Again, need tension adjustment.
- The threads are too thick for this needle size. High speed thread starts to jam in the eyelet, kinks and tears. It happens that the threads are of poor quality, twisted or with thickening. For sewing machines these are not suitable, you need quality.
- Threading. Even experienced seamstresses can sometimes make a mistake when threading. Try it again.
- Needle. The size of the needle must fit the fabric. The installation of the needle can be wrong groove of the needle should face the thread guide. The ear of a poor-quality needle with too sharp an edge inside it tears the thread, so you need to replace it with a high-quality needle. A dull or broken needle can be replaced more often, preferably after each piece of sewing.
Why does the sewing machine rips thread
It can be quite frustrating when a beautifully embroidered stitch or pattern suddenly breaks thread. Often after such an unpleasantness requires re-stitching everything again. But what if this happens regularly??
Of course, you must first determine why the sewing machine rips the thread. In this case it is worth starting the search of causes with what kind of thread it breaks: the upper or the lower one.
Sewing machine rips upper or lower thread: 7 reasons
One of the most serious troubles that can occur while working on a sewing machine is a thread break. Why a sewing machine thread tears? The answer to this question can not be given unambiguously. because of the complexity of the device, there can be many options. Some breakages any, even a novice seamstress, can fix with their own hands. But there are problems that require urgent intervention of a professional. Service center “Remontano” is one of the leading places in the market of household services, so our staff can easily cope with breakdowns of any nature.
Often the machine tears the upper thread on the needle, because it does not fit the type of fabric being sewn. Machinery also does not like old threads, which are often twisted, uneven in thickness, with knots and have already lost their own strength. It is not worth saving on this consumable and suffering with old spools from grandma’s coffer.
The thread can be cut by the rough surfaces of individual parts. For example, in the thread tensioner. If you notice us not in relief due to wear, use a diamond file to smooth out the roughness.