Why is the thread torn at the line?
Failure breaks are one of the most common problems when working on a sewing machine. There are many reasons why the thread is torn and most of them can be eliminated even by the beginning seamstress. Let’s take a closer look at each case and ways to solve a specific problem.
In most cases, the thread is torn due to improper tension of the upper thread. Some modern computer machines are already equipped with electronic tension adjustment, but ordinary household machines require manual adjustment.
Be sure to check the tension of the thread when switching to work with a denser fabric, after installing a new needle or threads of a different density!
Correctly stretched upper thread gives a beautiful line from the face and inside. The weave of the upper and lower thread should be drowned in the fabric and be inconspicuous. It will be more convenient to configure this line if put in the backlog the lower thread of the contrasting color.
An additional sign of proper setting is not a very tight thread of the thread from under the lowered foot, if you just pull it with your hand.
Sometimes a weak tension can be the cause of the cliff. During the line, then large loops in the shuttle compartment are formed then, and the thread gets confused, and then breaks.
The tension of the lower thread in the shuttle is regulated in extreme cases, for example, when sewing very thin or thick materials, or a line with very dense or thin threads. The adjusting screw is turning at a maximum of half a turn, otherwise, with vibration during sewing, it can get out completely.
A properly stretched lower thread should leave the cap with a sharp jerk for it with a hanging free cap by 3-5 cm. If the cap continues to unwind, then the thread is slightly stretched, if the thread does not come out at all, too tight.
Thread is torn: Causes and solutions
The reasons why the upper thread is torn in a sewing machine is confused or the lower thread breaks off is a lot, but most often the source serves:
- tension system;
- improper selection of a needle and/or threads;
- malfunction of the shuttle mechanism and wear of the needle plate;
- Lack of lubrication on mobile elements of the machine.
Each case has its own characteristics and nuances that should be considered separately in order to know when the breakdown can be eliminated independently, and when you can not do without a competent master.
DISPECTION in the tension regulator
The tension unit is located on the outer side of the case. Its task is to ensure the stable passage of the upper thread and prevent its sagging. Often the source of the malfunction is the wrong assembly of the regulator, namely, the installation of a conical spring is not the same side. Often this device is disassembled by children or incorrectly collect after prevention in the service center. To eliminate the breakdown, it is necessary to correctly install all the elements of the mechanism in the correct order (it is important that the spring is directed to the narrow end to the outside).
If Zazubrin is detected, curvature and other deformations on the details of the tension unit, it is recommended to replace them with new.
Quality and correct selection of sewing accessories
Poor.quality thread is one of the frequent causes of a break in a line. When sewing, it is worth abandoning heavily twisted fibers, and you do not need to use old Soviet threads 0, since they often do not withstand standard tension and can have nodules, unevenness and other defects on the surface. The gap can occur near the coil, under the needle or in any other place.
The stitch break also occurs in the case of using a large diameter bobbin. Such coils are intended more for industrial machines, and not for household. Too large mass of yarn and bobbin diameter interfere with uniform tension of the fiber and its stable feed.
Defective needle is another reason for the problem. If the curvature of the tip or any other defect is detected, the needle must be replaced. The thread is often torn if the size of the needle is incorrect when working with too dense fabrics (cotton, leather, tarpaulin, wool).
The correct choice of sewing accessories will avoid a break in the stitch in most cases.
Damage to the needle plate and shuttle
With prolonged intensive operation of the machine inside the holes of the needle plate, hezabines, roughness and other defects can appear, about which the thread will cling and break. With a slight wear, flaws can be eliminated by grinding holes with a diamond stone. If this does not help, you need to put a new plate.
A failure in the work of the shuttle mechanism leads to a break in the upper thread due to too strong tension. At the same time, the machine makes a rattle and knocks. The problem is solved in two ways. installing the shuttle in the correct position or cleaning the internal space from dust, fibers of fabric and other contaminants. Otherwise, you need to replace the shuttle or the entire mechanism.
Why does the sewing machine vomit the upper thread: irregular materials
The reason that the thread is roared in the typewriter can lie not only in the wrong installation of parts, but also in the wrong choice of materials. If the reason that the machine does not sew as it should lies in this, then it will not be difficult to solve the problem. You only need to replace materials with more suitable.
Because of which the thread is confused and torn in the typewriter:
- If you use threads from old reserves, then pay attention to their quality. Cotton threads with nodules will constantly break. Also do not use too thick threads. Magpies do not like imported cars such as Janome and Brother and Mini PMZ.
- Incorrectly selected needle can cause a thread rupture. Such tools need to be chosen under the thickness of the fabric that you sew. Otherwise, the loops will not be neat, and your sewing will have an untidy appearance.
- The problem can lie in the defective needle. Check the edges and ear and nose of the needle. If they have a zabins, then change the needle to a new.
- If the bobbin is too large or small, then during sewing the thread is not correctly wound on it, from which it is torn. Spulk should be suitable for your typewriter in size.
It doesn’t matter whether you have a manual, foot or electric machine, the wrong choice of materials will lead to a break in the threads. To fix this problem, you need to check all the materials, finding the inappropriate replace it with a new.
The reasons for passing the stitches
If the machine began to skip stitches, start searching for the cause on the principle of “from simple to complex”.
First of all, the factors should be checked:
- Tension of threads. Errors in the refueling of threads, as well as the contamination of the device may affect this parameter. Check and adjust this parameter in the method specified in the instructions.
- Type of needle. Perhaps an industrial type needle was installed in a household sewing machine, with a round flask, or another, not corresponding to your machine. The inappropriate needle will not give the necessary interaction with the shuttle, as a result of which passes will appear. Be sure to check the marking of the needle, it must coincide with the machine indicated in the instructions.
- The needle can be bent or blunt. Put a new one and check the line, perhaps the problem of passing the stitches will be solved. Many masters recommend changing the needles after sewing 2-3 products, and the changed sound when puncturing fabric is an unambiguous signal about the need for such a replacement.
- A combination of a needle and fabric. Sewing from knitwear, jeans or leather requires the use of special needles. An attempt to sew complex materials with a universal needle can cause a bad line.
- A combination of a needle and thread. A thick thread in a thin needle when sewing can lead to the appearance of a loop at the output of the material and, therefore, to the passes in the line.
- Low quality threads can also be the cause of the problem. The twisted thread forms nodules, leads to the incorrect formation of the loop and the nose of the shuttle cannot pick it up. Use high.quality threads when sewing with uniform thickness and without severe torsion, selecting their size for the needle and fabric used.
- Damaged needle plate. The “broken” hole in the plate draws in the plate inward fabric, which does not allow the thread to move freely and form the necessary loop. In this case, only a complete replacement of the needle plate can help.
If you checked all these reasons, and the car still demonstrates the wrong line, you need to check the gap between the ear and the nose of the shuttle. It will be easier to do with a magnifying glass.
- Install the operation “Direct String”.
- Remove the needle plate and clamping paw.
- Maximize the needlewoman. Raise the needle by 1.8-2 mm. At this moment, the nose of the shuttle device should be 1.1-2 mm higher than the ears, and the distance between them (clearance) should be from 0.15 to 0.25 mm. The maximum allowable value is 0.3 mm, a larger indicator will not allow the nose to capture the loop of the upper thread.
If you are convinced of the irregular values of the gap, the equipment will require mechanical adjustments to. We advise you to entrust such work to a professional, especially if the car is under warranty service.
The reasons given will help you find out why the sewing machine began to pass the stitches when sewing. Before work, check the correspondence of the needle, threads and tension settings, and also do not forget to periodically clean the car of garbage.
For what reasons the upper thread can be torn
The reasons why this happens can be how much:
- Problem in the string regulator of thread. You can try to loosen the upper thread to the maximum possible value for a start. Further, it is recommended to slowly pull the regulator to the desired degree of tension. A thread break can occur both with its too weak tension, and with too strong;
- The thickness of the thread for this needle was incorrectly selected. If the thread is too thick, then, moving at high speed, it will get stuck in the ear and burst. In addition, the gap can be associated with the poor quality of the thread itself;
- The refueling of the thread was incorrectly carried out;
- The needle in size does not fit this type of fabric;
- The needle was incorrectly installed: it should be installed in such a way that the groove “looked” towards the filamentor.
Often in this case, replacing the goned or completely broken on the tip of the needle can also help.
Loop the thread in the typewriter
Often happens that the thread in the typewriter does not break, but simply loop. It is also impossible to sew clothes in this case. After all, parts of the pattern cannot be stuck together by seams.
The reason can be the same as with a thread break. Therefore, in this situation, you first need to check the tension of the thread, then make sure that there is a spring in the tension regulator. If everything is checked and fixed, but still looping the line, then the problem may be that the lower and upper thread of different thicknesses. It is very important that both threads are one number.
Another reason, which is why the line is looped, may be pucks not clamped in the tensioner. If so, then you should disassemble this part of the device and check all its details for the presence of rust and pollution. If everything is done correctly, then the machine will start working properly.
What Causes Thread Breaks | Redline Embroidery Machines
If the machine is malfunction, you should not immediately contact the master, most likely it is simply collected incorrectly. Having checked each of the options described above and making sure of the quality of the materials, a seamstress, having found the reason, can easily eliminate it on its own. If he cannot do it, then it is better to invite the tuner.
If a woman wants to look great and go out in beautiful clothes, she should purchase a sewing machine and learn to work on her. Using her most daring solutions and imagination, she can become irresistible, elegant and especially feminine.
Reasons for increasing the gap between the needle and the shuttle
Among the main reasons why the distance between the shuttle and the needle increases, the following can be called:
- Incorrect parameters of the needle. The sewing machine is a complex device, therefore the needle in it is significantly different from the usual manual. over, the MerryLock machine is unlikely to be suitable for Astralux or Jaguar. The fact is that the form of sharpening the blade, its length, as well as the shape of the flask of different models are different. If you decide to experiment and used the needle from one machine for another, be prepared for unpleasant consequences.
- A blunt blade. How often to change the needles depends on how often and how much you sew. If you use the same needle for a long time, the blade is dull, begins to tear the fabric, the seams become sloppy. In addition, due to abrasion of metal, the gap increases.
- The failure of the details, due to vibrations created by a swinging vertical shuttle. Their deformation and displacement gradually lead to an increase in the gap.
In addition to increasing the gap, there are other reasons why the line is not formed properly.
The upper thread is torn: Reasons
In fact, the reasons why the sewing machine tears the thread is a lot. over, some of them can be eliminated independently without resorting to the help of qualified specialists:
- Incorrect tension setup. Most likely the upper thread is too tight. To eliminate this problem using a special regulator consisting of a spring and two plates, you need to loosen the tension of the upper thread. It is not scary if she begins to loop a little. After that, gradually strengthen the tension until the machine starts to work in normal mode. If the upper thread is weakened, nodules form during the creation of the seam, as a result of which there is a thread rupture. Proper tuning for tension of the upper thread will help get rid of these problems.
- The thickness of the thread is incorrectly selected. We are talking about its ratio to the thickness of the needle. If it is much thicker than the ear of the needle, in the process of sewing it will meet certain obstacles in her path: to get stuck in the ear and then break. Low.quality threads tend to bloom and shake. in this case there is also a break. That is why to work on a sewing machine, you need to buy only high.quality threads.
Why Thread Breaks? Main Reasons of Upper Thread Breaking on Sewing Machine
- The correct refueling of the thread. Do not be shy about the fact that from time to time you refuel the thread not entirely correct. Even the most experienced seamstresses can incorrectly pave the way from element to refueling element. If you find errors, correct them and check the work of the device.
- Needle parameters. Pay attention to the fact that for sewing different fabrics you will need different needles. In this case, the thinner the fabric, the thinner the needle should be. Also make sure that the needle is installed correctly. When buying needles for sewing machines, do not forget to check their quality, make sure that the inside of the ears is not acute. in this case the thread will cut and break right at the needle itself.
What to do? General recommendations
Each case requires an individual solution. But there are general recommendations so that the thread is not torn during sewing:
- Be sure to check and adjust the tension when they installed a new needle, switched to threads or material of a different thickness.
- Use high.quality needles, threads and other consumables.
- Install parts according to the instructions.
- Choose threads and needles for thickness and type of fabric.
- Do not disassemble the machine yourself if you are not sure that you can properly assemble.
- Monitor the state and purity of the mechanism, external structural elements.
If the elimination of any of these problems did not help you, and the machine still tears the upper or lower threads, perhaps the case is in the adjustment system itself. We advise you to call the master to eliminate problems.