The pandemic period made adjustments to the sewing business. Instead of men’s suits and prom dresses, ateliers are now sewing reusable masks. Handmade women, many of whom have been trapped at home for long periods of time, are not far behind.
As a result, by the fall of 2020, demand for sewing machines has increased by 46%, causing its rise in price. TASS reports. Masters will now have to be even more thoughtful when choosing a typewriter.
Modern sewing machines can be electromechanical, electronic and computerized.
Beginners and home masters suffice electromechanics with 10-20 basic types of stitches, foot pedal and manual control switch functions.
Experienced seamstresses who want to make the process more convenient and are willing to splurge on expensive equipment, we can recommend electronic equipment with push-button start and switches. Not unreasonable will be a screen that shows the selected parameters of sewing.
Professionals, along with complete electronics, it is worth considering computerized options. What sets them apart is the handy touch control and built-in microprocessor. Some models have the ability to connect via Wi-Fi. Such machines know hundreds of operations, including suitable for embroidery and circular sewing.
Those who work with knitwear, “slippery” or crumbly fabrics, we advise to pay attention to the overcasting technique, overlock or carpet maker.
For dense fabrics require a powerful and heavy machine with metal accessories, special needles, pressing and moving elements.
#Types of sewing machines
All sewing machines are divided into industrial and domestic. Usually the domestic can do many things at once, but the industrial one can do one thing very well and for days, years, miles without breaking. At least, that’s the idea.
However, industrial machines are unlikely to interest you, unless you intend to open a small sewing enterprise, they are very expensive, cumbersome and noisy in operation so in this article will focus on domestic. Household machines are divided into:
- Electromechanical ,
- sewing and embroidery
- quilting machines.
What does it all mean, and which category to choose?
Electromechanical sewing machines are the easiest of all. All internal stuffing such machine mechanics, that is levers, shafts and gears. Electric is the only motor that drives it all.
Of the undoubted advantages of this type of reliability, low Simple, affordable, reliable.
Computerized sewing machines are distinguished by the presence of a computer board, which carries out the overall management of the process, which allows this type of machine to perform quite intricate stitch programs. The movement of the needle in relation to the fabric is controlled by the microprocessor. The amount of memory and the number of programs of this machine brain determines what a particular model can do.
Their starting price is about two or three times higher than the price of electromechanical. At first glance, the sheer number of stitches seems like a definite advantage. This 15 kinds of different buttonholes, and a chain of different flowers-leaves, and a dozen overlock stitches, and knit stitches. But look closely at this list and think about which of them you personally will really use? It turns out that the part you do not need, and another part is a numerous takes of the same thing with minor deviations.
Personally, I regularly use six or seven of the 56 lines I have in my machine, and I use two more from time to time. However, it is impossible not to notice that this already greatly expands my capabilities, in comparison with the work on the electromechanical sewing machine. So do not be tempted by the abundance of functions, it is not certain that you will need them all. Or rather, the fact that many of them you are unlikely to even ever try.
Several overlock stitches, knit stitch, triple reinforcement stitch, knitted buttonholes and eyelets are useful, in addition to the usual buttonholes, of course. The rest is up to you, just don’t let the variety go to your head. It’s a shame to pay extra money for something you will never use.
The undoubted advantage of a good computer machine is the speed and accuracy of work. If your plans include kilometers of fringes and sewing to order for 8 hours a day, a computer machine will save your time and give you additional opportunities for creativity. A buttonhole with an eyelet is a trifle of course, but this trifle affects the whole look of the coat.
Of the minuses are high price, capriciousness in adjustment, and repair, in case of what, more expensive.
Sewing and embroidery machines. It’s simple, in contrast to the industrial embroidery machines that can, in fact, only embroider, such combines often combines two functions.
In my personal opinion, the budget versions of sewing and embroidery machines combine these functions out of handicap. They are too capricious compared to conventional sewing, and in comparison with the full-fledged embroidery too limited in embroidery capabilities. And more expensive models even scare the price. So I recommend to consider this class of machines only as an embroidery machine and buy based on these goals.
Also, do not think that buying an embroidery machine for 100 300 thousand, you immediately create a masterpiece. Sewing machine embroidery is also an art, which must learn. On courses or on their own, from books or online tutorials. In general, the work on it something like working in Photoshop. You can go to a specialized site, dial there someone drew motifs, quickly read the instructions and glue them together as they turn out, adding a stamp of stars and hearts. But if you look at the masterpieces created by professionals, it becomes clear that this is not even a third of the capabilities of the tool.
So, think carefully about whether you need it, and frankly, in most cases it is much easier and incomparably cheaper to order embroidery in a workshop, which already has serious equipment and a good craftsman. Outsourcing is our everything. Personally, this is how I usually do.
Sewing machines. They’re also called flat embroidery machines.
Designed to perform elastic flat stitch, used to close the hems of the edge of the knitted product. All this complicated word structure means the stitching, which you can see on the hem and sleeves of almost any T-shirt.
Among home machines flat stitches can perform their two types: flat stitch machines and quilting. A regular stitch looks the same on the front side and on the back, as the upper thread is looped around the lower thread (bobbin) and tightened. Flat or chain stitch looks different. It is obtained by simultaneously working two or more needles and buttonholes.
This type of sewing machine is designed to work with stretch fabrics. If your main focus is on T-shirts, swimwear and tracksuits this is your choice. Price range from 1015 thousand.
Overlock is a machine with one or two needles, equipped with a trimming mechanism and is designed for overlocking the seams of a wide variety of clothing. When choosing an overlock, you should primarily focus on the convenience of threading and sewing. Do not forget about the possibility of overcasting with different numbers of threads. Most overlocks perform 3- and 4-stranded overlocks, suitable for most types of fabric, and rolling overlocks. On overlocks of a higher class there is a 2-thread overlock, designed for the finest fabrics such as silk or chiffon, as well as to perform decorative trim.
In principle, overlock features are in a computer sewing machine. But a stitch made on a real overlock machine is much neater and more reliable. In addition, overlock is equipped with blades, which themselves cut off the excess allowance, aligning the edge, which significantly saves time. In general, if you sew regularly, and space allows you to place two machines overlock will be a very useful acquisition, but if not you can do without it. In any case, it does not replace the sewing machine, but only supplements it. For the assembly of parts of the product is not intended. for overlock starting from 6 7 thousand for 10 you can buy quite a decent model.
Overlock is a relatively new invention, with which many are not particularly familiar. This name was invented by Pfaff marketers for their range of such machines, and patented it, after which it became firmly ingrained. It combines the word overlock and the English term coverstitch, that is covering or closing the stitch. This machine can perform as a sewing overlock, and flat and straight chain stitch, that is, combines the overlock and flat sewing machine. Price for a quilted machine is quite high and starts from 2530 thousand.
Just like a sewing machine, a quilting machine is designed to work with knitwear. The design also includes several (from 2 to 10) of the upper thread and buttonholes, with which you can create different, sometimes very complex stitches, indistinguishable from the industrial seams.
What to choose to work with knitted fabrics overlock or pair of overlock plus rasoshivalnaya machine? On the one hand, a carpetlock has a greater number of buttonholes, which allows you to perform more complex stitches, it takes much less space, and its high price is quite comparable to the total cost of spinner and overlock. And with the other processing of the garment may need first overlock, then a flat seam, overlock again, again a flat seam and so on every five minutes.
In the case of the two machines is not difficult, and every time you have to readjust the machine from a flat seam to overcasting or overcasting-sewing and back again. And this is quite a long and laborious process, which even with skill takes a few minutes. It’s up to you to decide.
What parameters should choose a sewing machine for the home?
There is no universal model. The market offers many devices for working with fabrics.
The choice of one should be based on the following criteria, the main ones:
- Budget. Important parameter, since the price of different models can vary at times.
- Ease of operation. Buying a complex device with many functions and settings is not reasonable for a beginner.
- Type of shuttle. A successful option is a rotary horizontal. the lower thread is practically not tangled, noise and vibration are minimized. Reliable vertical rotary hook allows you to control the thread tension, which is convenient when working with materials of different thicknesses.
- Variety of stitches. For general tasks you usually need at least five: straight, zigzag, overcasting, elastic, countersunk.
- Type of fabric. If you mainly plan to work with dense fabrics (denim, leather, drape), you need to choose a more powerful device.
Rating of top 10 according to the CP
Cute compact sewing machine Japanese manufacturer with a full range of basic operations. Flap is a vertical metal device, due to what the machine works well with different fabrics. Automatic needle threader.
Concise multifunctional machine of Russian brand performs 19 sewing operations. In the opinion of users, easy and intuitive to use. There are tips on the body for threading the upper thread and winding on the bobbin. There is a removable sleeve panel that will allow you to sew very narrow items.
Light and compact sewing machine. Good equipment: zipper foot, buttonhole, blindstitch, and all-purpose foot, three needles, a knife-sparger, screwdriver, four bobbins, foot pedal, soft pouch.
Beautiful and comfortable model equipped with a special side table for more comfortable work with large pieces of fabric. 17 built-in operations allow you to perform a wide range of tasks.
Swiss quality embodied in this sewing machine is reflected in its durability and ease of use. Metal base, ergonomic foot pedal that regulates speed well. Sleeve platform that allows you to handle narrow edges of products and other thoughtful details make the sewing process better and more pleasant.
Computerized sewing machine will delight you with a variety of sewing operations. 100 pieces. Comprehensible navigation on the monochrome display allows you to quickly find the desired stitching and adjust the settings. Features twin needle capability and comfortable sleeve platform.
Domestic brand has long been a high-tech and reliable companion to beginners sewing and experienced tailors. The sewing machine Chayka New wave 760 has a sufficient functional set for comfortable work with different types of fabric and types of sewing. Clear settings and easy operation allows you to quickly get up and running.
Has a powerful electric motor that allows you to work with many types of fabrics. Optimal sewing is provided by flexible settings and the ability to vary the pressure of the foot on the fabric. Horizontal type shuttle requires no lubrication and minimize vibration when working.
Computer controlled model for advanced users. 2-step lift foot, an overview of the stitches, stepless speed adjustment, direct selection of stitches and adjustments stitch. will raise the quality of production of any product to a professional level.
Model with all the basic, necessary functions used for most sewing jobs. Includes extra sleeve platform, bobbins, zipper and quilting feet, and handy pouch.
|Type of shuttle:||vertical oscillating|
|Number of operations:||22|
|Maximum sewing speed:||600 st/min|
|Maximum stitch length:||4 mm|
|The maximum stitch width:||5 mm|
|Maximum foot lift height:||12 mm|
|Stitchable materials:||Light to medium fabrics|
Pros and cons:
Many still have at home the Soviet heritage created at the intersection of machine and light industry, which is noisy and creaky, but it works. Even sometimes useful in the home. But in 2021, technology in sewing machines has stepped forward. The process of operation has become many times more convenient and the quality of sewing is better. “Komsomolskaya Pravda” tells about the best sewing machines for home, as well as share expert advice on choosing a new device.
Tips for choosing
Professionals when choosing a sewing machine advise to pay attention to such factors when deciding how to choose a sewing machine for home for all types of fabrics:
- The type of fabrics that most of the time will be worked with;
- number of stitches;
- the need for automation;
- machine model;
- the manufacturer and reviews about it;
Among the selection criteria, according to experts, are highlighted:
Repair and accessories
When choosing a machine, you should pay attention to the fact how easy it will be to repair it:
If the answer to both of the above points is negative, then you should consider whether you need such a model, which at the first breakage will remain for a long time to stand in the corner, waiting for repair.
Therefore, when choosing should pay attention to these criteria:
- the availability of the possibility of repair by own efforts or by the efforts of a professional;
- the availability of spare parts and components;
- the possibility of ordering accessories;
- popularity: the more well-known options are easier to find spare parts (and order from the manufacturer). But if the manufacturer is little-known or even leave the market, this repair will be problematic.
Maximum stitch length. Zigzag stitch
Each machine option has a stitch length adjustment feature in order to sew normally.
When choosing, you should pay attention to the following points:
Necessary sewing operations
For the average amateur it is enough a set of the following functions:
- Implementation of at least six basic types of stitches: straight, sweep, overlock, countersunk, zigzag, elastic;
- The possibility of adjusting the stitch length and width;
- Adjustment of presser foot pressure by automatic option, depending on the thickness and type of fabric. With this function, the stitch is neater, and the speed of work is higher;
- the presence of overstitching foot and foot for a zipper;
- the presence of a piercing stabilizer of the fabric and the function of locking the reverse;
Desirable but optional features include:
- The function of decorative embroidery;
- Availability of a container for threads;
- interchangeable foot kit. Although in their absence, such a set can always be purchased separately.
Which machine is better to choose, computer or electromechanical
In today’s stores you can find mostly two types of machines:
Advantages of electromechanical options:
- belong to the professional level;
- Ideal for those who sew a lot and often;
- wider functionality;
- Are able to work with a large number of tissues better quality;
- stitches are smoother;
- The stitch speed is higher.
Different Types of Sewing Machines
Preferred type of threading
There are two threading options: horizontal and vertical. Here is what you should pay attention to when choosing:
- machines with a horizontal version are more functional, they have more stitches;
- Machines with a vertical hook. more reliable, less likely to break down and fail;
- vertical hook is suitable if you plan to use the machine for sewing thick fabrics.
What is the difference between domestic and industrial sewing machine
The main differences between the two variants of machines from each other are.
- will not pull a large amount of work;
- will not pull complex types of work;
- characterized by an increased number of operations and functions: straight stitch, zigzag, buttonhole mode, etc.д.
- used in production;
- As a rule, performs only one operation;
- performs one operation well;
- performs a huge amount of work per day;
- durability and reliability are guaranteed.
Important! For beginner amateurs sewing machine at the initial stages it is necessary to choose a household purpose. With professional models is not so easy to handle. The risk of injury is always high.
What sewing machine to choose for beginners
The variety of manufacturers and brands of sewing machines in today’s market is amazing.
However, when choosing a manufacturer, you should pay attention to time-tested and reliable. It will not be superfluous and the option to get acquainted with the reviews of real buyers.
When choosing, it is necessary to follow the golden rule: “price-quality”.
Among the most popular and reliable manufacturers stand out:
- Praff, Husqvarna: quality options, professional models. But expensive in terms of price and repair (maintenance);
- Brother: a popular brand for many years. There are reviews about the poor quality of pedal control and execution of stitches;
- Janome: the best option for the combination of price and quality. Beginner needleworkers have many positive reviews;
- Astralux: budget. But a lot of bad reviews about stitch quality and speed.
Where to buy a sewing machine
There are so many options to buy a sewing machine that you can choose between delivery conditions, discounts, promotions, level of service, reliability of the store.
- Internet. Most major appliance stores sell household goods, including a wide variety of sewing machines. Sites usually have all the features, descriptions, photos, reviews. According to the rating, you can choose an interesting option.
- Specialized store. An experienced salesman will tell you about all the advantages and disadvantages of this or that model, will show you, give you the opportunity to touch it, and you will be able to determine tactilely whether the option is suitable for you.
- Avito. Recently, one of the popular options for making purchases. You can find quality and good options at a significantly lower price. But there is always a risk of buying a pig in a poke. Therefore, you should take someone knowledgeable in sewing machines to the deal to check the performance.
Horizontal or vertical hook
Most modern models have a horizontal hook. Sewing thread tangles are eliminated, as well as thread breaks. Emitted sounds are much quieter. However, this type of hook is used on conventional versions, suitable for intermittent work.
Important! Experienced professionals prefer models with a vertical, double looping design. This is the best option, and is generally found on more expensive machines, such as those for professional use.
Top 15 best sewing machines for home: rating 2022
Sewing machines have grown in popularity over the past year. The reason is quarantine, which forced to spend more time at home and changed the behavioral habits. Sewing and needlework that you can do in your apartment have come to the fore. A good and reliable sewing machine can be your indispensable helper.
Online stores offer customers a wide choice of devices for a variety of requirements: for beginners, for professionals, inexpensive and of high quality, electronic, with a large number of operations, quiet and simple. To understand all the variety, we offer the top 15 best sewing machines for home 2022, which you can order from an online store with delivery in Russia.
Sewing machines, produced by modern industry, are able to meet any challenges in sewing or repairing products from different fabrics. On the market there are simple models for beginners, and powerful sewing computers with the broadest possible programming operations.
To buy a sewing machine for home that meets the specific requirements of the buyer, you need to clearly define its purpose. To work with medium-density fabrics and perform basic operations will be enough machine with electromechanical control and 9-17 operations. Electronically controlled models offer a greater number of operations and additional improvements for sewing comfort. The parameters to consider when selecting are:
- Number of operations. Note that on simple models often there is no possibility of changing the length and / or width of the stitch, so the number of operations can be counted several stitches zig-zag / straight stitches of different width / length;
- how to process a slit loop (semi-automatic, automatic). Entry-level machines perform only one buttonhole option, more expensive. Over ten;
- type of shuttle device (vertical or horizontal);
- The needle threader, which greatly speeds up the threading of the upper thread;
- The sewing speed can be adjusted on the machine body;
- Control buttons (only on electronic models), such as sewing without a foot control, auto-fastening, reversing and needle positioning;
- a way to lock the lower conveyor belt (for darning, quilting and button sewing). Simple models use a special darning plate, in the more advanced. turning off the switch.
Almost all modern machines are equipped with built-in lighting and the possibility of stitching in the reverse direction (reverse). Provides a narrow sleeve platform, which opens by sliding the work area.
Depending on the model, sewing machines are equipped with a different set of accessories. The buyer gets at least one universal presser foot and basic tools for machine maintenance.
Our online store offers a wide range of sewing machines from world famous brands at affordable prices. Buy equipment for the home or studio can be in installments or on credit.