How to Replace a Rubber Cuff on the Washing Machine LG with Your Hands
If there is a hole, chafing or bloat on the washing machine’s door cuff, then the rubber urgently needs to be replaced. Such damage breaks the necessary seal and causes water to leak out of the tank during the start up cycle. And that is unfinished laundry, dirty floors and flooded neighbors.
Replacing the cuff on the Indesit washing machine will take no more than an hour, with enough to open the door and prepare a minimum of tools. The main thing is to disconnect the power beforehand and follow the instructions exactly. And the detailed algorithms for removing the ruined part, installing a new rubber and preventive measures are given below.
Disassemble the front panel
In order to remove the rubber band from the drum of the washing machine completely, you must also disassemble the front. This is not difficult if you follow our recommendations:
- After unscrewing the fasteners at the back of the machine, remove the top cover.
- Remove the detergent dispenser. underneath you will find the other bolts that hold the front panel in place.
- Taking a thin screwdriver, bend the latches of the control unit, remove it and put it on top of the housing.
- Also remove the bottom panel (where the drain filter is).
- Walk around the perimeter of the front panel to unscrew the fasteners holding it in place.
- Now you can pull the wall toward you, thereby providing access to the inside of the gasket.
When to change the part?
The signal that the rubber seal in the LG washing machine is worn, are paths of water, appearing on the front panel from under the boot door, as soon as the tank is filled with water and starts washing.
At the same time, the washing machine signals a problem with the cuff (closing the hatch) error code DE (displayed on the screen). If there is no information panel on the washing machine, the problem with the cuff can be understood by the flashing temperature, wash and rinse indicators.
A puddle of water in front of the washing machine indicates that the rubber cuff is broken. It is not safe to operate the washing machine with these damages. The household appliance must be immediately disconnected from the mains, turn off the water supply tap and begin troubleshooting (yourself or call a master).
What are the causes of the fact that water leaks from the bottom of the LG washing machine, how to find a problem and fix it, this article will tell.
Causes of damage
Replacement of the cuff is most often due to the appearance of tears or cracks on the seal, leaking water during the washing. As a result of the formation of such damages, the owner of the machine will see water leaks under the hatch, and having examined the cuff itself, will notice cracks or tears, which may have different sizes. Causes of this situation are such factors:
- Natural wear and tear on the gasket. The cuff is subject to constant friction between the drum and the laundry when the machine is in use. It heats up during the wash cycle and then cools down. It can also be affected by detergents. Over the years, this leads to brittleness and brittleness of the rubber.
- Poor quality detergent. Exposed to cheap detergent and detergents of questionable quality, the rubber of the cuff begins to deteriorate, so saving on detergent leads to the cost of replacing the seal.
- Dosing too much detergent. If excessive amounts of detergent or liquid are used, the structure of the sealing rubber can also become damaged, which means that the cuff has to be replaced.
- Items of clothing that can damage the seal. Metal and plastic fittings can be such items. In addition, screws, nails and other objects can get into the machine from clothing s, which can cause tears in the cuff.
Over time, if you do not clean the sealing collar, mold may grow on it. Therefore, it is necessary to periodically clean the washing machine. You can see how to do it in the following video.
Wear and tear and time
After each wash, the life of machine parts decreases. The sealing rubber deforms, stretches or shrivels (depending on the material and how often the equipment has been used), becomes less airtight, with small cracks and then large holes.
Mechanical damage from washing
- If things are loaded or unloaded sloppily;
- Due to sharp objects in the s. As the drum rotates, even a coin or a piece of paper can become them, so carefully check your clothes by turning out the s while still “dry”;
- from the friction of hard objects or parts: in some Indesit and Ariston models, the drum touches the cuff and rubs against it.
The most common cause of seal rupture is cheap or low-quality laundry detergent. Aggressive chemical components in an inexpensive powder deteriorate the cuff material, making it “compressed”, porous and therefore brittle.
Indesit Washing Machine Bearings How to fit, change & replace.
Mildew and dirt
Fungus and mould appear because of poor ventilation and care of the machine. The causes. installation in a highly humid place, improperly connected drain into the sewer, constantly closed door (because of which after washing the moisture does not evaporate). Fungus is manifested by dark stains, they are supplemented by an unpleasant smell from the machine.
How to replace the gum on the washing machine
The sealing rubber sleeve serves for waterproofing the door of the machine and prevents water from penetrating from the drum into the housing of the machine during the washing. The rear edge of the seal is put on the drum and the front edge is put on the door hatch on the front panel. Crimping clamps ensure a tight fit of the part. Some manufacturers have technological holes in the rubber part for design elements. This should be taken into account when choosing a spare part and its installation. Remove the rubber band from the washing machine for replacement can be done in several ways, depending on the specific model of the machine. In the article the sequence of work to replace the part is described by the example of LG, Indesit and Samsung washing machines.
The peculiarity of replacement of the sealing rubber on the hatch of the LG washing machine is that it is necessary to remove the top cover, the front panel and drum counterweights.
The method is not recommended if the machine is under warranty. the organization providing warranty service, in subsequent repairs may have questions to the owner of the unit.
- Having unscrewed two screws on the back wall, remove the top cover of the machine.
- Remove the detergent tray.
- Unscrew the fastening screws and remove the panel with the electronic control unit.
- Use a long screwdriver to lever out the rubber buffer collar.
- Remove the leading edge of the lip seal from the edge of the hatch on the front wall and tuck it in.
- Unscrew the fastening screws and remove the front panel and door.
- Use a socket wrench to unscrew the 8 bolts securing the two concrete counterweights.
- Carefully remove the stones.
- Insert a screwdriver and take out the inner spring clip.
- Pull the gum off the washing machine by applying slight pressure in a forward direction.
- Clean debris and dirt from the sealer seating area. If necessary, wash with detergent.
- Slide the new sealing collar onto the edge of the drum so that the grooves are seated tightly.
- Slide the collar on.
- Reinstall the counter weights and screw them down.
- Fit the front panel.
- Insert the gasket over the edge of the hatch, put on the crimp collar.
- Install and screw on the control box panel, powder compartment, top cover.
The suggested method allows you to remove and replace the rubber band from the drum of an Indesit washing machine without removing the front of the household appliance. Its disadvantages:
- You have to work in conditions of limited space
- Visually impossible to check the correctness of the installation, only by feel.
- There is a heavy load on the fingers of the hand, they can be injured.
- At the bottom of the hatch under the lip of the rubber band use a screwdriver to hook the crimp collar and pull it out.
- Remove the collar from the edge of the hatch and push it into the hatch.
- Grasp the inner part of the upper part seal with your hand and pull it down along with the second spring clip. Attention! It requires quite a great deal of force.
- Pull the removed oil seal out through the opening in the roof hatch.
- Clean any debris from the mounting location. Wash with detergent as needed.
- Lubricate the grooves of the seal to be installed with liquid soap to reduce the resistance when putting it on.
- Align the technological holes on the rubber band with the elements of the machine and, pressing with fingers, put the rubber band on the drum, making sure that the edge of the rubber band goes into the groove to its full depth. This should be done carefully, gradually moving in a circle from the bottom point to the top and back again.
- Apply liquid soap to the clamp groove.
- Stretch the inner clamp and put it on, moving from the bottom of the hatch upwards. A little tip: To avoid pinching your fingers, you can wrap duct tape around them.
- Pull the front edge of the rubber band onto the front panel hatch.
- Put on the front collar.
- As no visual inspection is possible with this method of installation, start the machine in rinse mode after completion of the operation and check the tightness of the seal.
The seal in the Samsung machine is often torn in the area of the lock due to the nature of its design. A damaged sealant cannot be replaced without removing the top and front panels of this model of washer-dryer. Unlike LG models, stone counterweights are not removable. Difficulties in repair usually do not cause. Sometimes the screw fixing the electronic control unit in the area of the detergent tray gets so oxidized that it has to be drilled out.
- Unscrew the two screws fixing the top cover on the rear wall and remove it.
- Unscrew the three front panel fastening screws from the top.
- Take out the detergent drawer.
- Unscrew the three fixing bolts of the electronic control panel.
- Remove the plastic cable ties at the top of the unit that hold the circuit wires. Do it carefully so as not to damage the wiring and contact groups.
- Remove the control panel. This is necessary to access the bolts fixing the front panel of the machine.
- Unscrew the front wall fasteners.
- Use a flat screwdriver to grip the cable tie and pull it out.
- Remove the collar on the inside of the door.
- Undo the lower decorative plastic cover.
- Unscrew the four fastening screws.
- Remove the front panel.
- Unscrew the 3 screws and remove the top panel.
- Use a screwdriver or an electric screwdriver to unscrew the clamp tension adjustment screw on the drum.
- Remove the clamp.
- Remove the defective seal.
- Slide the correct rubber part onto the drum, put on and tighten the clamp.
- Reassemble the machine in the reverse order.
How to replace the door seal of Indesit washing machines
Before you begin to replace the cuff of an Indesit washing machine it is necessary to disconnect it from electricity. Repair may be necessary if it is damaged or if mold accumulates.
The door seal can be replaced without disassembling the machine or removing the tank. Since its outer end is fixed to the front body of the machine and the inner end to the tank, it is necessary to begin removing the old collar from the front.
The photo shows detaching the door, but this is not required. It is sufficient to open the hatch and access to the collar will be ensured. If it is more convenient for you to take it off, you should unscrew two screws, slide the whole structure upwards, pull the door slightly towards yourself and the door will detach from the body together with the hinge.
The cuff is attached to the front wall using a metal clamp, which is a wire in the shape of a circle, the ends of which are connected by a piece of spring for tensioning. To disconnect the clamp you need to find the spring on it by inspecting the perimeter of the circle and pick it up with a flat screwdriver. Then, by sliding it to the side, remove the collar.Starting at any area and moving along the perimeter, manually detach the outer edge of the collar from the front wall. After that it is necessary to get additional access to the inside of. To do this we must remove the top cover of the washing machine. You will see the tank and its connection to the collar, which is fixed to it with a solid spring clamp.
To disconnect, simply grasp the gasket by hand anywhere close to the tank and gently pull it out along with the clamp.Prior to the installation of a new oil seal it is important to compare it with the old one to visually verify the similarity of its dimensions. Then find and understand for yourself the places where it will be fixed, as well as the marks of the upper and lower point:
- The upper point is almost always marked with a triangular protrusion and aligns with the marking on the tank when installing.
- The reference point for the lower point, in addition to the same marks can be a hole for the flow of water in the cuff itself.
WARNING! It is very important to install according to the marks. Otherwise, when installing the collar, it may shift and be damaged during subsequent work.
The installation should begin on the top edge, aligning the lip of the lip with the mark on the tank. Hold the upper part that has already been assembled with one hand and use the other to push the rubber seal completely into the housing. Then starting from the top and moving along the perimeter in either direction, completely put the inner edge of the collar on the tank of the washing machine.
For convenience of installation, it is better to look through the top, through the opening of the removed cover (photo in the center). After attaching the inner part of the lip seal to the tank, it is necessary to carefully check the alignment of marks. If in the process of installation there was their displacement, it is necessary not to be lazy, to remove the collar and re-produce installation. The next step is the installation of the spring clip. This is the hardest part of changing the lip seal. For convenience, it is desirable to wrap its outer edge inside. Disconnect the door lock by removing the two screws, as shown in the photo. The next step is to install the spring clip. This is the most complicated part of the oil seal replacement. For convenience, it is desirable to roll its outer edge inward. Disconnect the hatch lock by removing the two screws, as shown in the photo. In the hole for blocking to slip a screwdriver and catch for it a spring clip (in the photo on the left). It is necessary so that when you pull the clamp on the collar, it did not come off, and will remain fixed.
It is necessary to stretch the clamp along the perimeter in any direction, both up and down. During tensioning, constantly check the position of the screwdriver, especially if work is carried out alone, without an assistant. in case of slackening or other abrupt changes the screwdriver can slip to the side and the spring will come off.
When the spring is fully installed and located in the recess of the housing on the cuff, holding it, slowly pull the screwdriver out from under the spring.
Next, use your fingers to feel around the entire spring circumference to make sure it is properly seated in the cavity and that the lip of the lip is always in contact with the pot and not crumpled. Tighten the spring to correct any looseness.
WARNING! If the spring does not fit snugly into the cuff seat, leakage may occur.
Also at this stage it is advisable to check the seal tightness of the cuff and the reservoir:
- To do this, use a scoop to fill the reservoir, but do not allow it to run out of the reservoir.
- If there are no leaks, then the spring is properly installed.
- Should the water leakage be detected, the leaks can be found where they occurred, then the water should be drained and the leakage situation remedied and the leakage test carried out anew.
Before proceeding to fix the outer edge of the seal, return the hatch lock into place and fix it with two screws. The front edge of the seal has a curve with a specific shape that corresponds to the curve on the edge of the hole in the front wall of the machine. By bending the front edge, as shown in the rightmost photo, you need to put it on the body of the machine and so on all around the perimeter. Before proceeding to mount the outside edge of the seal, return the door lock into place and secure it with the two screws. The front edge of the oil seal has a curve that is identical to the curve at the edge of the front hole in the appliance. By bending the front edge, as shown in the rightmost photo, you need to put it on the body of the machine and so around the whole perimeter. When the cuff is finally worn on the front, you need to view and probe it around the perimeter in order to finally reinsert it into the seat. As the last step of assembly remains to put on the outer collar. To do it the first time is not always easy, because the spring is not easy to stretch by hand. Nevertheless, there are two ways to fit the clamp:
Remove the cuff from the machine hatch
There are a number of models of washing machines, in which the manufacturer provides the possibility of independent dismantling of the rubber. There is no need to dismantle parts of the washing machine housing. Other options require the removal of the front of the wall for such work.
Changing the washing machine door cuff does not require any special skills. All this can be done fairly easily with your own hands. When you do this kind of work it is necessary to remember about the accuracy. This is especially true when assembling the new part.
Before beginning any work on the replacement of the rubber band, make sure that the two pieces are identical.
After checking this fact you can start dismantling the rubber part. First you should remove the clamps that serve as a fixation. It should be remembered that the outer part of such a collar is deepened in a special opening located in the outer wall of the washing machine housing. This is where it is secured with a clamp. This collar is made either of plastic or on a metal basis in the form of a wire.
To remove the clamp made of plastic, you should take the part where there are connections of snaps. Then it is necessary to pull them in their side.
If it is necessary to perform the procedure of removing the clamp, made on the basis of a wire, it is necessary to unscrew the screw. There is also an option, when you need to pry under the spring with something that has a flat shape.
After that, it is necessary to search for the mark that is available on the rubber band to be dismantled. It is with this marking marked the desired location of the rubber band in relation to the tank of the washing machine. If the installation will be carried out correctly, then we can talk about eliminating the possibility of leakage during the operation of the washing machine.
Read The Most Common Causes of Washing Machine Breakdowns
If you can’t find the marking yourself, you can mark the removable cuff with a marker. Then it will be possible to correctly orient the position of the new door cuff.
Now we remove the clamp and remove the sealing rubber.
Disassembling the collar
Before removing the seal from the washing machine, it is necessary to buy a new one, identical to the original one. No problem with the purchase, since you can buy a new oil seal practically anywhere. in a service center or in an online store. The main thing is to choose an identical part. Therefore, before visiting the store, carefully write down the full name of the washing machine model, its serial number. The new gasket should bend well and be soft to the touch.
Now on to how to remove the collar. The procedure for removing the part in all automatic machines basically follows the same step-by-step pattern:
- Remove the securing front clamp that connects the manhole seal to the outer casing of the washing machine.
- Removing the front of the washing machine.
- Removing the second clamp that secures the seal to the washer tank.
Remove the first clamp
Start with removing the first (front) clamp to remove the oil seal. Follow the directions below.
- Unplug the power cord of the SM.
- Get the tools. You will only need screwdrivers (in most cases two are enough: “cross” and “star”).
- Locate the latch (if it is a plastic clamp). Grasp and pull toward you where the latches are located. In the case of the wire rim, which can be tightened by means of a spring or screw, you will either have to unscrew the screw or use a screwdriver to slightly undercut the spring. The spring is most often located on the side near the locking latch or at the bottom of the boot door.
- Unclip and pull out the metal/plastic rim.
- Fill the rubber inside the tank.
Before you remove the gum from the washing machine drum, note the two special triangle-shaped marks. One is located on the seal itself, the other on the drum. It is important that they are placed parallel and aligned. If there is no marking, place it yourself. This will come in handy later when putting on the new part.
Remove the front panel
To completely remove the seal from the washing machine, in most cases you have to remove its front panel. You do this as follows:
- Unscrew the bolts from the back of the washing machine and remove the top of the washing machine.
- To unscrew the bolts holding the front panel, pull out the powder cuvette.
- Unlock the latches that hold the control panel, and gently remove the latter.
- Unscrew all the bolts from the front of the housing.
After these steps you can easily get to the second clamp.
Remove the damaged part
A damaged door cuff is not a sentence for a washing machine. On the contrary, such repair is much cheaper than replacing the control module or the faulty electronics. And what is even better. almost every Indesit model owner will be able to remove the cuff from the drum with their own hands and install a new one.
The first thing you must do is to prepare for the replacement: buy a new collar that is identical to the damaged one, taking into account the diameter, marking and recommendations of the consultant at the store. Next, we take care of our own safety: unplug the machine from the mains and wipe the housing with a dry rag. After that we proceed directly to dismantling.
- Remove the fixing clamps. If the holders are plastic, then, holding the joint of the two latches, pull forward, and the metal rims should unscrew the screw or pick up the spring with a flat screwdriver.
- Carefully slide out the front part of the rubber seal.
- Looking for the mounting mark indicating the desired location of the cuff to the drum of the washing machine (most often the mark will be a characteristic tab).
- Use a marker to mark the marker on the body.
- Pull the rubber gasket towards yourself and remove it from the recess.
Having removed the old seal, do not hurry and mount the new part. It is important to carefully clean the lip of the collar from dirt, limescale and detergent residues. For this purpose a generously sponge with soap and water will be perfect, and the soap will not only clean but also lubricate.
Important! There is no need to rinse the foam and wipe the notch dry: the slippery solution will help speed up the installation process.
Instructions for installing a new rubber
To put the rubber door seal back on the drum, you will have to try a little harder. The factory collar is quite elastic and tight, has a strong “resistance” to the installation, which often causes difficulties for amateur craftsmen. The following instructions will help with the elastic band:
- The new cuff is applied to the seating place so that the mounting marks on the gasket and the tank correspond to each other.
- Begin the changeover at the top edge, with one hand holding the inserted portion in place while the other hand pulls the rubber band over the edge.
- Next, the inner edge is put on, starting from the center and moving in turns to both sides.
- At the bottom, the cuff is pulled firmly onto the tank.
- The gasket is probed along its entire length and finally pressed into the lip for a tight fit to the body of the washing machine.
- Check the alignment of the fitting marks. If it has misaligned, it is advisable to remove the gasket and repeat the procedure from the beginning.
For convenience, it is better to remove the front door to provide free access to the washing machine. However, it is worth remembering that on Indesit models, the replacement of the cuff is also done without the opening being released.
The most difficult step is the installation of the internal collar. The method of installation depends on the type of holder. For example, for washing machines with metal clamps on the screws will need to loosen the locks, and then tightly lay the rim on the seat. With plastic clips just loosen the holders by pressing on the place of connection “tails”, pull the rubber band on the edge and fasten the clamp back. If the washer has a wire mount without tensioners, you need to place it evenly along the entire length, tighten the ends with round pliers, and the resulting knot is hidden in a special tab on the cuff. The most difficult to cope with the spring tension, which should be inserted flat screwdriver into the hole blocking the hatch, pick up a spring and put a bracket.
Finishes the installation by putting an external clamp. This is done in two ways. In the first suggestion is to take hold of the rubber at both ends of the spring, and, stretching and maintaining the tension, push it until it is fully seated in the existing cavity. The second option is to fix on one end of the spring and pull the rim only to one side.
Warning! Only old clamps that are undamaged can be reinstalled. If there are any defects, cracks, chips, distortions, it is important to replace the holders with new ones.
If everything was done correctly and accurately, the collar and clamp should lie tightly in the seating. To check the quality of work is not difficult: it is enough to test the tightness of the tank. This is done very simply:
If there are no leaks (not even drops under the door), then the installation of the collar is correct. Otherwise, you need to drain the water, inspect the tightness of the rubber against the edge, tighten the clamp more and re-test the machine for leaks. In case of repeated leakage you will have to dismantle the seal and install it anew.
How to place the collar on the drum of an Indesit washing machine?
How to put the rubber band on the drum of the washing machine Indesit with your own hands? In fact, the collar is stretched over the edges of the tank, not the drum itself. The experienced technician will be able to cope with such a task in a few minutes. If you are removing and installing the rubber band for the first time, you will have to “work” with it. Let’s look at how the process of removing the old sealing collar and installing a new one, give a couple of tips that will greatly facilitate the repair.
In fact, the replacement of the oil seal for the beginner at home is quite realistic. The job does not require any special knowledge or skill. All you need from the tools. minus and plus screwdrivers, pliers, you will also need a new rubber, and two clamps to fix it. The rings can be metal or plastic, it depends on your C.M.A.
The repair kit must be purchased for a specific model of Indesit washing machine.
You will also need sandpaper, a pair of sponges, liquid soap, and a rag in the process. This is to prepare the cuff seat and make it easier to install. The first thing to do is to remove the deformed rubber band. To do this:
- Open the hatch door;
- Bend the edge of the cuff at the bottom until you find the outer collar;
- Use a slotted screwdriver to pry up its spring;
- Leading a screwdriver around the perimeter, remove the clamp from its place;
- tuck the outer part of the gasket inside the drum;
- Remove the upper cover of the housing by unscrewing the bolts fixing it;
- Use a plus screwdriver to loosen the bolt securing the collar from the inside;
- remove the inner clamp;
- Remove the sealing rubber from the washer.
Before you put the cuff on the tank, you need to prepare the landing place. Use sandpaper to remove any encrustation that may have formed. After washing the area with soapy water and a sponge. When the seating is ready, the collar can be tightened.
Carefully inspect the new gasket. At the bottom of the rubber band there is a hole for the drain. The top of the seal is marked with an arrow, which must be aligned with the mark on the manhole. Further actions will be as follows:
- Lubricate the seating place with liquid soap, pay special attention to the edges of the hole;
- Also treat the grooves of the rubber cuff with soapy water. Do not lubricate the entire gasket with soap or it will just slip out of your hands when working;
- Observing the top and bottom, tuck the gasket inside the body of the washer;
- Pull the upper part of the rubber band over the inner tab of the cistern;
- tuck the lip seal in, working around the circumference of the lip seal. This is the hardest part of the job, as the “unruly” gum usually does not want to stretch over the inner tab. Exercise patience. If necessary, additionally lubricate the edges of the seal with liquid soap;
- Install the inner collar, fix it by tightening the fixing bolt;
- Next, pull the outer part of the cuff onto the housing. The seating place can also be additionally treated with liquid soap, this will facilitate the work;
- Replace the outer retaining ring. Holding the clamp spring with your finger, tuck it into the machine in a circle;
- Replace the top cover of the housing.
When you have succeeded in placing the collar on the tank, close the drum door. There should be nothing to prevent the door from closing. If the door does not close all the way, it means there was a mistake when installing the gasket. Check the installation, correct the elements if necessary.
How to know if the seal needs replacing?
If you find a leak under the hatch or body of an Indesit washing machine, the first thing you should do is inspect the sealing collar. If the external part is defective, water is leaking from under the door. If the inner part of the gasket is damaged, water will collect under the housing of the machine.
It is best not to repair the collar by putting a patch on it, as it will leak again in a few washings.
There can be several reasons for a damaged sealant:
- Wear and tear. The cuff rubs against the drum during the washing process, and also constantly experiences thermal effects. The cuff can crack after a short period of time. It is through these cracks that water will begin to leak;
- Improper care. If you do not wipe the cuff after every wash, over time mold will form on it, which will penetrate into the upper layers of the rubber. Such a cuff will no longer be able to ensure the tightness of the system;
- external influences. Foreign objects in the drum (coins, paper clips, nails, forgotten in s) during washing damage the rubber seal. Also the condition of the cuff can deteriorate because of the popping when the door is closed carelessly.
If properly cared for and not subjected to mechanical stress, the oil seal will last for years. But there is nothing difficult in the replacement of the seal, it is realistic to perform it yourself at home.
The nitty-gritty details of repairing the lip seal
Sometimes there are situations where the “rubber band”, located on the washing machine door, is torn, and there is no possibility to replace the cuff yet.
For example, at the moment you cannot find a suitable part for your machine model, or it is ordered and you have to wait a long time for its delivery.
There are circumstances when it is now impossible to allocate money from the family budget to purchase a new part. In such situations, the repair of the cuff, that is, sealing the place of damage will help.
The high temperature, detergents and constant friction of the laundry will soon do its work, and the hole on the cuff again will make itself felt
Please note that gluing the patch is a temporary measure. So it is necessary to try to replace the worn out seal with a new one as soon as possible.
The first thing to do is to inspect the leaking sealing lip and find the cause of the damage. This is the only way to find out if it is worth repairing the seal or if it makes no sense. To do this, you will have to remove the cuff from the machine in the above way.
Only by removing the front collar and pulling the cuff toward you can the damage be determined and the size and extent of the repair be assessed
If the cut, puncture or scuff is small, then the repair definitely makes sense. And when the damage is big or there are several of them, it is better not to hurry with sealing.
After determining the cause of the repair, select the material for the patch. It must be strong and flexible at the same time. Some masters recommend using condoms or medical rubber gloves for this purpose.
A great option. special patches designed to repair air mattresses. You can find them in sports stores.
The glue planned for the work should have excellent adhesive properties. The product must retain its elasticity after it has dried completely. This is exactly how agents designed for the repair of shoes and rubber products behave.
The sealing of the rubber seal is an activity that does not require any special knowledge or skills. However, so that the result is not disappointing, it is better to follow the instructions clearly.
We suggest the first method of repair. gluing. It is carried out according to the following scheme:
- Preparing the patch. Sections of the selected material are folded in several layers and glued together. The size of the patch should be 1.5-2 times larger than the defect itself.
- Degrease the damaged area and the area around it. Use alcohol, acetone, white spirit, etc. Wait until the degreasing agent dries completely.
- Apply glue on the cuff and the patch.
- Lubricated surfaces are pressed together either immediately or after a few minutes. it depends on the instructions on the tube of glue.
- Fix the cuff in its natural position with suitable objects. Leave the part in this way for 24 hours.
After the adhesive dries completely, the gasket can be installed in its place.
The repaired cuff should be re-installed using the same technique as a new cuff. Since the rubber is already stretched, not as much effort is needed as when installing a new part
There is a second method, which is considered more reliable. It combines sewing and gluing.
- Use a thick synthetic thread to stitch the fault back together. A soccer stitch is used.
- After everything is abundantly impregnated with silicone sealant for rubber and plastic.
Read How to equip a carport correctly
Then, as in the previous method, the cuff is left in its natural position for 24 hours, after which it is placed back into the machine housing.
After the repair is done, it is necessary to check the quality of work. To do this, load the drum with laundry and run the wash on the shortest program. At the end of the cycle, inspect the bonding area for repeated tears.
Myself can change not only the cuff, sealing the front door of the washing machine. Home craftsmen are quite able to replace the washing machine belt. Step by step instructions for carrying out this work is described in detail in our recommended article.
For what reasons do you need to replace the cuff of the washing machine
How to replace the door cuff without damaging other parts? You do not need special tools for this, round pliers and a flat screwdriver will be enough. Just in case, prepare a cleaner and a rag to remove lime scale, mold and other dirt, if any.
How To Replace The Washing Machine Door Seal | Indesit Washing Machine
- For ease of operation and easy access to the rubber gasket, you need to remove the front panel of the machine. Remove the powder tray and remove the screws holding the top and bottom panels together. Then it’s the turn of the screws on the front of the machine. When removing all the panels, remember which screws belong to which panel: they must not be confused.
- When the front of the washing machine is removed, you can detach the door seal itself. Sealing gum for the washing machine is usually attached to the body of the tank with two clamps. If the clamp is made of metal and retained by a spring, simply pry it off with a screwdriver and pull it toward you. Unscrew the additional screws. Sometimes the clamp is made of plastic and it is much easier to remove than a metal clamp.
- After removing the first clamp, unscrew the upper part of the rubber band. On it you will see the mounting mark, which indicates the correct location in relation to the tank of the machine.
- Similarly to the fixing clamp remove the second and release the replacement collar completely. At its bottom there is a second mark. Note that the rim of the hatch also has similar marks. it is guided by them, you can then properly place the new collar.
Before fixing a new sunroof cuff, make sure it is exactly the same as the make of your car, otherwise the seal will be loose. Thoroughly wash the so-called “rim” of the manhole from accumulated dirt, lime and mold. It is enough to take any soapy solution.
Check if the installation marks on the edge of the tank and the collar itself coincide, and pull the cuff on the hatch. Hold the lower part of the fingers, pulling the top, then. vice versa. The same soap solution will be useful as a lubricant.
Then proceed in the same way as when you remove the rubber. Replace the clamps, screw the screws and check if the cuff is “sitting” firmly. After all, if the installation turned out to be of poor quality, in the future it is possible to leak.
- Initially, it is necessary to prepare the place where you are going to conduct the replacement of the detail. So the surface should be cleaned of dirt.
- Then it is recommended to apply a solution of water and soap to the place of installation of a new cuff. This will make the surface a little slippery. Then the installation of a new part will be much easier.
- It is now necessary to put a new collar on the washing machine tank. This process may seem complicated. Here you need to remember that there is an upper position of the sunroof collar in relation to the tank itself. Therefore, it is necessary to follow the marks.
- Combine the marks on the tank and the rubber part and make installation of the cuff deepening on the tank itself. To this end, using the thumbs of the hand, pull the elastic band around the inner side of the. Thus the process should go easily because the edge has first been prepared with a soapy solution.
- Now put on the inner and outer clamps one after the other. When adjusting the inner clamp with the screw, loosen it to the necessary diameter.
- Then mount the band onto the gum itself and secure it by tightening the screw. In the variant of the clamp with a spring, the process proceeds a little longer. First fix it at the point of initial tension.
- Use a screwdriver inserted all the way into the locking opening for final locking. Now put on the spring and by pulling it back you can put in its place and the clamp itself.
- In machines that were purchased a long time ago, you should use round pliers to secure the clamp.
Thus, the replacement procedure for the cuff on the washing machine will be carried out correctly and the washing machine will serve for a long time yet.
- Prepare for work a flat screwdriver, and if your machine is old, then round pliers. In addition, do not forget to de-energize the machine and disconnect it from the water supply.
- First remove the door from the machine, as well as the hatch lock. Your basic steps for disconnecting the cuff will be to remove the clamps used to secure the rubber band to the front of the machine and to the tank body.
- Carefully unscrew the front edge of the cuff, then loosen and remove the first clamp. If this part is plastic, it is fixed with clips, and the clamp made of metal is fixed with a screw or spring, which can be removed with a screwdriver. The screw must be unscrewed and the spring must be slightly unscrewed and loosened. Using a screwdriver, the collar can be removed. If the machine is an older model, there are no adjusting bolts or latches in the design of the clamps, and to remove such clamps, you will have to work with round pliers.
- Your next action is to carefully disconnect the front part of the sealing rubber. It is held in the machine by its shape and its own tension.
- After that you need to disconnect the second clamp. Sometimes this task requires the removal of the cover of the machine. Using a screwdriver, unscrew the bolt of the clamp or simply shift it out. The cuff can then be removed from the machine.
To replace the collar, you must first remove it and that, in turn, requires some disassembly of the machine. The practical guide is as follows.
- Start by removing the top cover, which is held by several screws.
- Take out the basket for backfilling laundry detergents. Behind it there are the fasteners that also need to be unscrewed.
- At this stage we can already remove the control panel, which is fixed by plastic latches. They are easy to pry with a Phillips screwdriver. Be careful when pushing on the latches as they can easily break.
- Do not make any sudden movements when removing the panel, because there are wires attached to it. There is no need to disconnect them. the panel together with the wires can be placed on top of the machine body.
- Using a flat screwdriver, pry up the hatch cover, behind which the garbage filter is concealed. This part is located at the bottom of the panel.
- After removing the cover remove the emergency drain hose and unscrew the decor panel fasteners. It is also held by the latches, which should be carefully pinched and then pull the panel.
- Open the door of the door and with a flat screwdriver pry up the spring on the collar. Pull the spring aside and remove the clamp.
- Insert the clamp inside the drum and move on to the locking system. It is fixed on two screws, after unscrewing them the part can be pressed into the housing of the machine.
- The front wall is held by several fasteners which, if unscrewed, allow it to be completely removed. The hatch cover remains in its place for now.
- The collar connector connects to the hose, which must be removed.
- On the seal there is an inner clamp that is removed in the same way as the outer one. pick up the spring with a screwdriver and pull it toward you.
- It is now possible to deal directly with the cuff. Its disassembly requires some effort because it is firmly seated in the grooves. Here you can not be afraid of using brute force, because the old seal will be thrown away anyway.
How to replace and install the new one?
When the old rubber sleeve has been removed, the new part can immediately be installed. This should be done very carefully:
- There should be a triangle-shaped projection on the upper part. It is docked so as to coincide with the marking on the machine. To make the installation easier, the notch in the rubber can be lubricated with a few drops of liquid soap or shower gel.
- At the bottom, use the marks and outlets as a guide.
- The replacement process starts from the top. Hold the rubber band in position and tuck the sealant in.
- Moving to the left or right, you must gradually put the rubber band on the tank.
- Once the gasket is on it is necessary to check the coincidence of all marks.
- After the rubber band is installed, the clamp should be put on. You can do this by wrapping the edge of the gasket inward. To ease the installation of the clip, it should be pinched and guided with a screwdriver, constantly checking the position.
- After the clamp is put on, you should check its location and quality of fixing the rubber. If a wrinkled or creased rubber band is detected, it is straightened out, eliminating the defect.
- If there are doubts about the quality of the first stage of installation, check the tightness of the rubber seal. Manually fill the tank with water using, for example, a scoop or a large mug. If there is a leak, it must be immediately eliminated. After the test, the water must be drained out.
- The outer part of the collar is mounted by pulling the rubber band on the body exactly along the entire perimeter of the hole.
- The outer collar is installed in a recess over the entire part so that it fits into the notch designed for it.
If after putting on the rubber band it is found that the marks are misaligned, the part must be removed and reinstalled.
How to change the cuff on an Indesit washing machine, will prompt
Appeal to a master
If you are not sure that you can replace the rubber seal on your Indesit washing machine by yourself, you should enlist the help of a specialist. Finding an appliance repair company is easiest on the internet. Setting in the search “Indesit washing machine repair” and pointing to your city.
Determine the choice of company will help to study reviews about the company and working in it specialists, as well as studying the information from the site.
Please note that the cost of the rubber band is not included in the amount.
When contacting a company to repair your appliances is desirable to specify the brand and model of washing machine in which you want to replace the rubber band. If the sealant that should be put, has already been bought, you should also inform the dispatcher about it.
If you need to repair other malfunctions at the same time, such work is paid separately. After the work is done, the specialist of the company issues a warranty.
Appealing to a random master on the announcement represents a risk, as the expert may have low skills, or simply appears to be a cheater.