Problems with the gas column
Let’s look at a few of the main reasons for the decrease in pressure readings in the column:
- Weak power. In order to have a good enough water pressure in the gas water heater, its power must be high enough. If the capacity of the appliance is less than 8 kV, the pressure in the system may be too low. It is preferable to buy a water heater with a capacity rating of 8-10 kW.
- Clogging. A variety of pipes, prone to the formation of clogs. In installed columns often malfunctions in the strainers. When the water passes through this filter too poorly, the pressure will drop.
- Limescale. Scale often forms in mechanical vessels specially equipped for boiling liquids. In a gas water heater, the heat exchanger is responsible for such functions. A layer of limescale collects on the walls of this device if the water in the water supply is too hard. Scale can build up in the heat exchanger after a certain period of time and regularly finds its way into the tubes. For this reason the pressure of hot water is significantly weakened.
- Poor maintenance. This factor is due to the scale that settles in the interior of the heat exchanger. Water hammer occurs in a situation where the water in the pipes is shut off and then abruptly resumes its flow into the system. As a result, in some areas of the mixer can form a clog.
- The speaker requires mandatory care, carrying out various preventive measures.
The best gas water heater with closed combustion chamber
Gas water heater flow type Zanussi GWH 10 Fonte can be installed in a private or multi-storey house. The device is created using modern technologies and materials.
- The design is made in the classical style.
- There are models with additional patterned glass on the front panel, such a solution allows you to softly fit the device into any design.
- Gas water heater Zanussi GWH 10 Fonte works quietly, economically consumes gas and water, is equipped with a multi-level security system.
- Zanussi water heater is equipped with an electronic ignition, which uses two standard batteries;
- The presence of LED-display, which reflects the temperature of the liquid at the outlet;
- the device works smoothly at low pressure and supplies water at an even head;
- The burner and heat exchanger are made of stainless steel, which will significantly extend the life of operation;
- closed combustion chamber;
- low cost.
Measures to prevent malfunctions
To reduce the likelihood of malfunctions of the gas water heater and enjoy hot water with peace of mind, it is necessary to conduct its periodic maintenance. You can do the work yourself or use professional services.
Prevention involves disassembly and thorough cleaning of the gas heater. We gave a detailed description of our own maintenance process in this material.
Periodic preventive maintenance, cleaning the chimney will prolong the life of the gas heater
When carrying out preventive maintenance, do not forget about the chimney. When the channel for discharge of combustion products is clogged with soot and foreign objects, the protection is triggered, the water heater shuts down.
Why the speaker goes out after turning on
The automatic water heater works as follows:
- A reducer is used as a starting mechanism, inside it is divided into two parts by a diaphragm;
- the first compartment is connected to the DHW. after filling the unit, the water enters the coil, located above the burner;
- in the second part there is a rod that opens the gas supply;
- water flowing into the reducer presses on the rubber gasket;
- The diaphragm presses the stem and opens the gas supply.
When switching to the shower, the pressure in the DHW is reduced. At a low water pressure the column turns off. The problem can be solved by installing a special pump that stabilizes the pressure in the water supply pipe. You can additionally check the condition of the mixer. The burner can go out due to debris buildup in the shower head.
Another common problem. The cause of the fault is the poor quality of water entering the heater and the resulting irregularities:
- In the water unit (reducer) the rod is stuck. the reason: the appearance of rust, as well as the weakening of the spring that returns the device to its original position after the water is closed. If the gas water heater does not go out after the water is turned off, in just a few minutes the liquid will reach boiling point and rupture the tubes of the heat exchanger.
- Breakage of the control valve. there is a valve in the water heater, which opens the gas supply to the burner. The unit turns on and off simultaneously with the opening/closing of the water tap. When the valve fails, gas is fed to the burner continuously. The regulator does not work when you close the hot water tap. The gas supply must be completely shut off and a technician must be called.
If the gas water heater does not go out when the water is turned off, you should not try to repair it yourself. The breakage requires a qualified troubleshooting by a technician.
If the gas water heater whistles after turning off the water, it is a sign of a broken water controller.
Inside the unit is concentrated rod, which has feet. It’s connected to the ignition mechanism. After turning off the water supply, a special spring should perform its function. it returns the working rod to its original position. If there’s rust on the rod, it’s stuck. The ignition system does not turn off and generates a spark.
The work of the gas water heater is always accompanied by certain sounds. Usually it is the noise of water running through the pipes, or burning fire. But it happens that the device begins to make non-standard sounds: whistles, pops, clicks and so on. If this begins to happen, it is necessary to quickly figure out why the gas water heater is noisy. The causes can be different.
Scale on the tubes of the heat exchanger
The heat exchanger consists of a shell and pipes, into which the cold water enters and heats. In any case, over time, a small layer of limescale appears inside. The main reasons of its appearance. the high rigidity of water and water heater operation at temperatures above 80 degrees.
You can repair the heater without removing the heat exchanger. Turn off the gas and close the water valve. It is necessary to remove the casing from the device and drain the water. To do this, unscrew the union nut from the water inlet to the water heater and turn on the faucet, located below in the system, usually the faucet in the bathroom. Gas water heaters Termaxi have a special tap for draining water from the system. In this case it is easier to drain the water into a suitable container.
After that unscrew the nuts on the inlet and outlet of the heat exchanger and it through a hose poured a special liquid antiscaling, which can be purchased in hardware stores. It is also possible to use a solution with vinegar or citric acid.
In this form the column is left for several hours. Then everything is plugged back in and the water valve is turned on. You need to turn on the hot water tap slowly. Dirty liquid should come pouring out. If after that the pressure has increased, it means that the heat exchanger pipes are cleaned. If necessary, you can repeat the entire cleaning procedure several times.
In order to avoid this failure, you need to use the water heater at temperatures about 40-50 degrees. You can also install a filter at the inlet, which will clean the water from salts, which form scale.
How to Fix No Water Pressure From a Hot Water Heater
Before looking for a breakdown and call a master, check that all the conditions for normal operation of the speaker are met.
- If the water has not heated up enough, check the temperature regulator and if necessary, turn it up to the right value;
- If the device works at maximum, the pressure is very good, but you need to make the water hotter, open the tap halfway;
- Check whether the gas tap is fully open, especially if you have recently turned off the gas due to repair or departure;
- If the column operates on liquid gas, call a master to inspect the cylinder and check its serviceability;
- Check if the cold water is not turned on somewhere;
- Compare the temperature of the hose at the water heater and the faucet. If it is different, the faucet must be cleaned;
- Check if the filters are not clogged.
If all of the above is working properly, and the water heating system still works poorly, you need to look for a breakdown in the device itself.
Faced with the problem of insufficient pressure? Let’s analyze what this situation can be and how to solve it correctly.
Problem #1. Insufficient pressure in the network
Sometimes problems with low hot water pressure are caused by unstable pressure in the pipeline. Particularly often encountered with this difficulty residents of high-rise buildings.
When the pressure drops, the sensors on the water heater are triggered. Not only that the water flows bad, so also its temperature does not rise above 50 ° C. Of course there should be a pressure difference between inlet and outlet of the unit, but not a big one.
If the water heater is fully operational, and the reason for the poor head is due to insufficient pressure in the central water supply, then influence the situation by installing a hydroaccumulator of suitable volume. This solution is ideal for homes and apartments with frequent water outages.
Hydroaccumulators come in different sizes. Type of installation can be vertical or horizontal. You should select the necessary volume on the basis of your personal needs
Problem #2. clogged filter
If the water pressure is normal in the water system, but the water comes out of the gas heater poorly, then you need to look for the cause in the water heater itself. Probably the filter is clogged or limescale is formed.
And sometimes the speaker can’t cope because it has insufficient power. Therefore, experts recommend buying gas water heaters with a capacity of 8 kW or more.
The most common problem with low hot water pressure is a clogged coarse filter. All because of old piping systems that haven’t seen pipe replacement or repair in years. The tiny particles of various debris get to us with the water through the pipeline. The filter “brakes” them and prevents them from seeping into the gas water heater.
Over time a lot of debris collects and water pressure becomes worse. So you must periodically clean the strainer.
You can find the filter on the water reducer spigot. It looks like a regular grid. If the water pressure is too high the strainer could bend and get caught in the socket. The strainer should be removed and rinsed under running water. For a better effect you can soak for a while in a solution of acetic acid.
Problem #3. scale buildup
Over time, in the process of heating water on the surface of the internal elements of the water heater scale is formed. The speed of scale formation depends on many factors: water hardness, frequency of turning on the heating equipment.
Scaling of the heat exchanger tubes not only reduces the pressure in the system, but also increases the amount of gas used to heat the water.
If scale is not removed, it gradually grows in the tubes of the heat exchanger and blocks the flow of water
Lime scale can even provoke a breakdown of the water heater. Therefore, at the first signs of lime scale formation you should clean the heater.
- at the outlet of the heater poor hot water pressure;
- After a short heating, the protection (thermal sensor) is triggered;
- The heater frequently turns on and off;
- It takes a long time to heat the water.
Limescale can be removed from the heat exchanger by using commercially available limescale removers or solutions specially prepared for this purpose. There are also non-chemical methods of calcium scale control.
Method #1. citric acid cleaning instructions
When the scale was formed and clogged gas boiler not many people know how to clean it, if there is no normal water pressure. The right thing to do, of course, is to ask for help from professionals. But sometimes there is no time or extra money to call a technician.
Therefore, many owners independently wash their water heaters from lime scale. A solution of citric acid is used for this purpose. But you have to be very careful not to damage the parts of the gas appliances. If you smell gas, you need to call an emergency service.
When the radiator is placed in a solution with limonka, all of its elements should be completely covered with the liquid
Algorithm of self-cleaning of the column:
- Carry out preparatory work: shut off the water and gas, disconnect the water heater from the network, drain the liquid from the equipment.
- Clean the mesh filter located at the inlet of the receiving node. The grid can be rinsed under a head of ordinary water. If there are calcium deposits, it is necessary to soak the filter in a solution of citric acid.
- Check the membrane during the cleaning process. If you notice any deformations on the part you replace it with a new one. It is easy to remove the membrane and reassemble it by yourself, since the unit is assembled with screw joints.
- Remove the heat exchanger. Do not pull it too hard, you might damage the fixing. If nuts are hardened, it is difficult to unscrew, then take “VD-40” or similar and apply it to the threaded joints. After about 20 minutes you can already try to remove the heat exchanger.
- Soak the heat exchanger in a solution: 200 grams of citric acid per 1 liter of water. Pour the obtained solution into the radiator and leave it for 10-12 hours.
- Rinse the heat exchanger with water and install it in its place. While installing the parts be sure to check the condition of the gaskets and install new ones if necessary.
- Open the water supply, make sure there are no leaks.
- The place of the connection to the gas pipe smeared with soap solution, check tightness.
- Connect the gas boiler to the mains and heat the water.
Such cleaning should be done every 2 years. If the water has high hardness values, then descaling is done more often.
Citric acid is quite popular for cleaning various appliances and appliances. So, it is often used as an effective means for cleaning the washing machine.
Method #2. use of phosphoric acid
Descaling by this method requires removing the radiator from the gas water heater. To circulate the agent through the radiator a special device and orthophosphoric acid concentrate 7-10% are required.
It consists of a device for rinsing limescale from the tank and a built-in centrifugal pump. Its use allows you to quickly and efficiently flush the heat exchanger of the heater
Removed from the column the heat exchanger is installed on a flat surface, after which the cleaning equipment is connected to it with the already filled reagent. Places of connections of the installation with the input and output of the radiator should be tight, they can be insulated with tape.
The descaling procedure takes about one hour. However, it all depends on the clogging of the radiator, if the layer of deposits is too thick, the flushing time can be extended. After the heat exchanger should be thoroughly washed from the remnants of phosphoric acid and carefully reinstalled in its place.
Method #3. descaling with hydrochloric acid
Quick descaling of the heat exchanger of the column can be carried out with hydrochloric acid. This is done by taking two pieces of hose or pipe with fittings: one part is connected to the radiator inlet, the other to the outlet. A funnel is attached to the first hose and raised above the level of the water heater. A 3-5% solution of hydrochloric acid is slowly poured into a watering can.
Foam may form during the rinsing process. Means pretty quickly corrodes scale, if at the outlet there was a strong head, it means that the deposits have already dissolved. Always perform the flushing in rubber gloves, acid can traumatize the skin of the hands.
This is how the pipes look overgrown with limescale. For their condition is not regularly monitored and not clean in time, then the normal pressure of hot water can not be restored
With the help of hydrochloric and other acids to get rid of scale in the water heater is quite easy. But you should be aware that such agents can also destroy metal parts, as well as their welded joints.
Therefore, it is better to flush by means of special closed-type equipment and use preparations designed for cleaning. Technique for cleaning gas boilers are sold in many stores. It delivers the working fluid under pressure along the circuit with the desired temperature.
In the process of treatment, the use of hydrochloric acid is alternated with several solutions. In this way it is possible to avoid the negative impact of reagents on the metal elements of the water heater. It is good to remove various sediments and prevent corrosion processes.
Limescale can form not only in the radiator, so you must clean the entire path of the fluid from deposits. In the process of cleaning should take into account the peculiarities of the materials of parts and assemblies of the heater.
If the reducer of the speaker is aluminum, it quickly fails when acid concentrates or aggressive detergents are used for cleaning. Therefore, many homeowners prefer not to use the chemical method of cleaning the gas heater
Method #4. Using electromagnetic technology
Scaling is cleaned by ultrasound. electromagnetic scale transducer.
There are several variations of the ultrasonic filter, which differ in power, as well as the way of formation of the magnetic field. The units are able to protect a section of the pipeline up to 2 km long from sedimentation.
The picture shows the converter of scale of the electromagnetic type. Such equipment is powered by a 220 V mains, consumes up to 20 watts of electricity per hour
The electromagnetic converter should be installed on the section of the incoming water pipe without scale. That means that before the first start of the magnetic filter the heat exchanger should be flushed and the water intake system should be cleaned.
The device will produce magnetic pulses that soften the water, remove deposits and do not allow the formation of new scale.
Problem #4. clogged faucet
Not always a bad hot water pressure indicates that it is a gas water heater clogged, sometimes the reason lies in the faucet. Sometimes debris from the water heater pipes gets into the faucet. The clog can form in a thin rubber hose, filter or other elements.
To normalize water pressure and fix the problem it is necessary to disassemble the mixer and wash off accumulated dirt from the parts.
The most frequently clogged filter screen, which is installed on the mixer’s “gooseneck”. It is advisable to clean it periodically to avoid severe clogging and, as a result, a significant drop in pressure
If in the kitchen the hot water pressure is normal, but in the bathroom the stream is weak, it means that the filter is clogged with debris. After rinsing it the normal pressure will be restored. If the water quality is poor, the filter mesh “gooseneck” should be cleaned every month.
Because of the constant heating of water by the gas water heater to 70 °C and more, the rubber gasket in the tap can be deformed. Chipped partially block the flow of water, which will lead to a decrease in pressure. Therefore, you can not do without replacing the gasket.
Weak hot water pressure from a gas water heater: causes and what to do?
Gas water heater is a flow-through convenient water heater. If a house has no hot water, no heating or central water supply it is the only possible way of heating.
Modern devices are much better than the old ones:
However, they can also give weak hot water pressure. The causes and, accordingly, methods of combating this problem can be different. Let us first analyze the most probable problems.
The Best Semi-Automatic Gas Columnar
Gas water heater flow-through type Bosch Therm 2000 has a lot of advantages, among which is the ability to easily switch to liquefied gas. Features:
- The classic shape, small parameters and soft shades allow you to use the device in any design.
- Electric type of burner, which is triggered by standard batteries.
- The presence of a copper heat exchanger significantly improves operation and performance.
- To use liquefied gas, manufacturers suggest using an optional kit with a burner.
- The device operates at a minimum fluid pressure of 0.15 bar.
- The presence of two separate knobs to regulate the water pressure and power.
- The heater has a high capacity and heats up more than 10 liters of liquid per minute.
- The minimum diameter of the chimney of the device is 11 cm.
- The use of European components, which significantly affects the service life.
- The presence of Chinese components, which often fail.
- Automatic ignition is too loud.
- Expensive spare parts of European origin.