There can be several reasons for insufficient water heating. Firstly, it can be due to poor performance of the speaker. To find out the reason, you should refer to the passport of the equipment and study in detail the characteristics of the column.
Secondly, the insufficient heating of water can occur due to a clogged speaker. Signs of clogging are an abnormal yellow flame color, as well as soot under the appliance. Finally, low gas pressure can also affect the hot water temperature.
Gas Water Heater Not Heating? — Gas Water Heater Troubleshooting
Often the ignition functions intermittently due to the scarce water pressure at the faucet. This is easily corrected by adjusting the pressure level on the water sensor. Sometimes the reason may be a bad water supply, which causes a mismatch between the water pressure in the faucet and the minimum capacity of the column. In this case, installing a special pump that increases the pressure will help. Will correct the problem by cleaning the filtering systems of the water supply, which gets dirt, internal sediments. The strainer, which is located directly before the water unit, must also be cleaned.
To check if the gas pressure in the mains is sufficient, just light the kitchen stove. If the flame burns, the reason why the gas water heater does not work, can be a clogging of the filter built into the design.
IMPORTANT! If the problem is related to the gas supply system, it is dangerous to make repairs yourself. It is necessary to turn the gas supply valve to prevent leaks, open windows and then call the emergency services. Only specialists should fix problems with the gas line!
Most modern models of water heaters have built-in sensors, so that if there is no traction, the gas blocker is triggered. You can check whether there is a draft on your own. For this you need to bring a lit match to the chimney. If the flame does not flicker, then there is a possibility of clogging the air duct. Only professional workers can inspect the collector and its further cleaning. Installation of plastic windows can significantly affect the air circulation of the living space, which will reduce the draft.
Gas water heater is a reliable device that is unpretentious in operation. It is best to install it in areas where the mandatory supply of hot water is much more important than its quantity. On average, the water heater can heat up about 10 liters of water per minute. It is very important to carry out periodic maintenance and service inspection. Because the service life of the equipment depends on its proper use.
Of course, like any other water heater, the heater can break. There are situations when all the elements are in good working order, but the gas boiler stops lighting up, or first lights up and immediately goes out.
Also very often during ignition you can hear a click, sparking, but the equipment does not ignite. All of these deficiencies contribute to a number of factors, which we will deal with.
Faults of gas boilers
As practice shows, the trouble-free lifetime of gas water heaters is 10 years and more. However, even the most expensive models of famous brands are not immune from failure.
According to statistics from the service departments of gas-fired boilers for heating water are most often the result of violations of the rules of operation of the device. Problems can also arise due to a factory defect, but this is less common (in such a situation, you need to contact the seller or a customer service, where the consumer will be offered to repair or replace the device).
In the case of detection of malfunction the most correct decision. Turn to a qualified master. A specialist has experience working with such devices and a stock of components for the replacement of faulty parts, so he will be able to repair quickly and in addition will provide a guarantee for services.
- Consumers should remember that the risk of breakage of the gas water heater can be minimized by providing annual maintenance (preventive maintenance) to your water heater.
In cases when for some reason it is impossible to call a master (for example, late at night, on a weekend or a holiday) you can try to return the water heater in working condition yourself. To understand the causes of the device failure will help you to understand the instructions that come with the heater. So it is advisable to keep this document as long as you use the device.
Modern household gas water heater is not a very complex water heater, whose main task is to quickly heat running water. Manufacturers offer water heaters with open and closed combustion chamber, but the principle of operation is similar.
The devices are equipped with a heat exchanger. through which the water flows. To warm the heat exchanger. which will transfer the heat to the water, it is enough to supply gas (burner ignited by the igniter), while the gas and water nodes are regulated by a special system. Prepared warm water is fed into the pipeline, and the products of gas combustion. in the chimney. The ignition system deserves special attention. On sale you can find gas water heaters with:
- Piezo ignition. In these models, the wick always burns, and to turn on the device, you just need to press and hold the gas button.
- Auto ignition (aka electronic ignition). are models with batteries. which provide a spark for ignition. To start the water heater, you need to turn on the water.
- Using a generator (converter). Works similarly to auto ignition, but instead of batteries the spark is created by a generator.
In addition, modern models of columns are stuffed with sensors that provide a high level of safety. These are:
- Sensors of combustion (flame), protecting against gas leakage.
- Overheat sensors, preventing the water heating over the set temperature value (as a rule, the thermostat switches off the heater at t 85 0 C).
- Flow and low pressure sensors. turn off the heater at the lack of supply and, accordingly, at low water pressure.
- Safety valves. if the water pressure. on the contrary, the pressure relief valve protects the water heater pipes from bursting.
- Strain gauges. that are designed to protect the room from carbon monoxide penetration. If for some reason there is no (or insufficient) draft from the chimney, the heater will not turn on or will shut down.
For the user’s convenience, most models have a digital display. It is located on the front of the appliance and can be used to assess the status of the appliance: the display will show an error code, for example, EE. Looking in the instruction you can understand. What is the cause of the malfunction. It should be noted that different manufacturers may have different codes.
The first thing to do if the heater stops working. Check the ignition of the gas heater and the supply of gas and water. Sometimes it is enough to check the state of the batteries in models with auto ignition (supplying elements can be discharged). If everything is normal here, you should be guided by the display prompts.
- If the batteries are dead. You won’t be able to light the column, you just need to replace them with the working ones.
- The water heater will not turn on even if there is no draft. As we found out, in the construction of the speaker there is a safety sensor, which sends a signal to the fuel valve. If the chimney is clogged, the protection system is triggered and the gas supply is stopped. To make sure that the problem is in the chimney, you can do the following: bring a lighted match to the ventilation well and see how the flame behaves: if it does not change its direction, then the well is clogged (in the case of normal traction the flame is drawn towards the hood). To unblock the gas water heater. The exhaust system needs to be cleaned.
- Problems with switching on can also be caused by a low water pressure. Open the tap. If even visually noticeable that the water flow is weak, this is likely to prevent the water heater from starting. Keep in mind: the gas valve only opens when there is sufficient water pressure on the diaphragm (no water. No gas ignition, normal water pressure. The burner is on). Check the work of the piping in your apartment or house, including the condition of filters and grids, sometimes it is enough to flush or replace them (eg, the grid on the faucet faucet or inlet filter on the column). If the cold water comes with a good head, the reason may lie in the water unit of the gas water heater. The problem is often caused by the diaphragm wear and tear (it must be replaced).
In cases where the pressure of water flowing through the heater is insufficient, the protection is triggered and the gas is turned off. This is done to prevent the failure of the heat exchanger (it can burn out). One of the frequent causes of weak head is the formation of scale in the heat exchanger. If you carry out regular preventive maintenance, which involves, among other things, flushing the device, such problems can be avoided.
If it is not possible to turn on the water heater. Listen to the operation of the device. You can always hear the characteristic sound of ignition when turning on. If it is missing. Make sure that the gas supply works. For example, turn on the burners of the gas stove, if the fuel does not arrive there too, ask for help to the gas service.
If the device is functioning, but the water heats weakly. First of all, pay attention to the gas flame. If the combustion is sluggish, the cause may be the water assembly membrane (it may be deformed or torn). If you observe an unnatural flame color, you need to clean the unit (the heat exchanger may be clogged with soot). Unsatisfactory operation of the device can be a consequence of the scale formed inside the heat exchanger. Lime scale must be removed (special cleaners can be used for this purpose). There are other possible reasons for weak heating: low gas pressure and insufficient power of the device itself (in the second case, try to adjust the water supply).
- If the flame of burner has a yellowish tint, we can assume that the gas heaters is clogged with soot. Because of this, it is difficult and the output of combustion products (emergency shutdown will be triggered by the unit), and water heating.
During the operation of the water heater you can hear popping noises
In cases where when you turn on the heater you hear a pop (as if a small explosion at startup), you should check the ignition and draught. A discharged battery and insufficient ventilation can cause detonation of the gas mixture in the combustion chamber. If all these factors are in order, you may need to clean the igniter (wick).
There are many causes of self-extinguishing of gas boilers. and it can be a malfunction of the device itself, or a protective reaction to some external disturbance. For example, the heater can spontaneously turn off if there is no traction. In other cases you should check the rubber membrane. that triggers the gas valve. Need to remove the water assembly and take out the elastic webbing. Sometimes it’s enough to flush it out, and if it’s worn out, it needs to be replaced. Other likely causes of a shutdown include. Battery failure and problems with the flame ionization sensor.
The leakage can be the result of a loose connection of the supply hoses, and this. The most innocuous cause of leakage. In such a case, it is enough to replace the rubber gasket (sealing elements) and the problem disappears.
Everything is much more complicated, if the hydraulic elements, e.g. heat exchanger, are damaged. The most common leakage is observed in old gas-fired boilers. what is associated with natural wear and tear. In some cases, you can replace the leaking parts, but given their high cost, it is sometimes advisable to buy a new water heater. However, it is also possible to eliminate leaks by soldering, but this will require special tools and skills.
Although the device of gas boilers is not complicated, to diagnose and fix the problem in practice is not as easy as it may seem. With the same symptoms, the source of the problem can be different causes, in addition, there are certain differences in devices from different manufacturers. Therefore, in order not to aggravate the problem, it is better to contact a professional technician, especially if you do not have any technical skills. It is worth checking with the specialist on the call. What preventive work you can do yourself.
If the speakers “Vector”, “Orion”, “Dion”, “Selena” and other brands do not start, read about the possible causes of failure. First check that the water and gas valves are open.
Problems with draft in the chimney
If the main burner has stopped lighting, the chimney may be clogged. A buildup of soot, construction debris, and leaves from the street can clog the passage to such an extent that it leads to these consequences:
- A mixture of carbon monoxide and air returns to the burner and extinguishes it, so it does not ignite.
- Carbon monoxide enters the living space and can lead to poisoning.
Modern appliances “Bosch”, “Ariston”, “Beretta” are equipped with a sensor that monitors the presence of the draft. If there is no draft, the gas supply is shut off.
How Do Gas Water Heaters Work? | Repair and Replace
You can check the draft yourself. Hold a lighted match to the hole in the body. If the flame is deflected, the chimney is normal, if not. immediately turn off the product, because the ventilation is clogged.
Insufficient pressure in the water supply
Water heater does not work, gas does not turn on? For example, the equipment firm “Neva” is very sensitive to differences in pressure in the line. If it is insufficient, the membrane does not act on the valve. no supply to the system. It clicks, but there is no ignition.
- Open the faucet and make sure that the pressure is really small. In this case, it remains to wait or contact the authorities in charge of the water supply. Weak pressure often occurs in summer when several users open the water at the same time.
- The pressure is of normal strength? Then check the strainer, it is located at the inlet to the water unit. Remove the part, rinse under running water. If the plaque does not wash off, soak the filter in a solution of citric acid.
- It’s worth checking for blockages in the water system itself as well as the faucet filter.
- The clog in the water supply can be eliminated by turning on the reverse flow of water. How to do this, we wrote in an article “How to clean a gas water heater “.
- Turn off the water and gas supply.
- Unscrew the gas inlet pipes.
- Remove the casing from the wall and place it upside down on a flat surface.
- Using a syringe, pour the cleaning agent into the inside of the boiler and leave it for two hours.
Poor gas line pressure. If the boiler fails to light, the pressure may be the problem: the gas supply is insufficient. To confirm this, turn on the burner of the gas stove. If the pressure is low, call a gas engineer immediately. There may be a leak somewhere, which could lead to an emergency situation.
No wick ignition
Why does the burner not ignite properly?? There may be several reasons for this:
- The piezo element does not work. Astra or Zerten has a problem with the igniter. It must always be on and go off when the faucet is opened or the button is pushed. If the burner doesn’t work and the wick doesn’t burn, the nozzles are probably clogged. What to do? Disassemble the device, remove the metal cover and clean the nozzles with a thin wire.
- It takes a long time to ignite the column-automatic. Electric automatic system works on batteries: when you open the faucet, they are triggered and produce a spark that ignites the burner. In this case, the technique should crackle. If there is no spark, you need to replace the batteries, it is better to install batteries. They are located at the bottom of the body.
- Hydrodynamic system (generator, which rotates the flow of water) could also break. Turning the alternator generates an electric current to create a spark. Repair with your own hands is better to refer to the service center.
How to clean the strainer, we described above. It is also worth cleaning the heat exchanger system. For this purpose it is necessary to remove it and place in a container with water and citric acid. Then put everything on the stove and heat for about half an hour. The inner tubes can also be washed with a solution.
Burners in Junkers and other brands are prone to clogging. Soot accumulation leads to the fact that the ignition does not occur immediately. When cleaning the heat exchanger, tidy up the burner; it is better to remove soot in the open air.
Breakage of gas unit and diaphragm
If the membrane is deformed, worn or damaged, the burner does not ignite. It’s all about the principle of operation of the device. When water enters the system, pressure is created on the diaphragm. It in turn acts on the gas valve: it opens and supplies gas to the burner.
In case of failure it is better to replace the membrane with a silicone one. it is more durable.
Electronics malfunction. Modern models are packed with sensors, control modules that control their work. Failure of any of the sensors or damage to the wiring causes malfunctions. You need to contact a service technician to find out the causes and repair. It diagnoses the malfunction with the help of special equipment.
Water leakage. Most users get too hot a flow from the faucet, so they try to adjust it with the mixer. Then the heater can go out. Manufacturers do not recommend to do so, because you reduce the life of the equipment. It is better to set a smaller value on the regulator Power (power).
Incorrect igniter adjustment. It is important that the gas pressure corresponds to the construction of the igniter. The comb is on the edge of the burner, so the electrode should be placed so that the spark falls on the comb. If the pressure is too low, the fuel is produced very little, it goes down. Mount the electrode in the center of the burner, then the ignition will be stable.
Why the gas water heater does not ignite. causes and fixes
Troubleshooting, due to which the gas water heater does not ignite when you turn on the water, yourself will not always succeed. Some malfunctions require professional assistance. On the other hand, the cause of problems in the work of the water heater is not always associated with the failure of internal nodes and modules. You can fix small faults with your own hands.
Repair of the gas unit and the membrane
To replace the membrane, remove the water block of the heater. By disassembling it you will get to the diaphragm.
Sometimes the gas water heater does not light because of damage to the membrane. it reacts to water pressure and controls the further ignition. If it is torn, then the further operation of the gas heater will not be possible. Difficulties in repair will cause the fact that it is difficult to find a suitable membrane. they are rarely available for sale, and their are steep. In addition to the membrane, you need to check the entire gas block, as there are a lot of parts that can fail.
Troubleshoot the valve and fix it
Loss of serviceability of the gas valve leads to complete inability to operate the heating equipment, or to the situation when the necessary level of heating is not provided due to incomplete opening of the diaphragm.
On the other hand, there are possible causes, on the contrary, leading to a permanent gas supply to the burner of the boiler (column). That is the situation when the gas valve is constantly open.
Stage #1. a simple check of electrical components
The performance testing of the gas solenoid valve on the column (boiler) is possible without the need to remove the regulating device. In order to check it directly on the appliance, however, the gas supply should be interrupted by closing the valve on the gas main. The gas burner (boiler) remains connected to the electric network.
The device regulating gas supply to the burner usually has an electronic component, microswitch (see Fig.1). picture above), through which, when the gas heater is turned on, the main technological parts are supplied.
Specifically, the supply voltage is supplied through a micro-switch:
So, if forcibly, for example, with a screwdriver blade, act on the plate-pusher of the microswitch, these systems of the gas heating unit (boiler) will be powered.
As a result, the operation of the following components is activated:
That is, the inspector will hear the sound of a working fan, the characteristic clicking sounds of a gas lighter, and, of course, the characteristic clicking of the solenoid valve stem. Such a state of the equipment demonstrates the serviceability of the components, at least. electrically.
Step #2. Disassemble and test the valve
Various defects can be the cause of the malfunctioning of the unit.
- disturbance of the shape of the membrane seal;
- ingress of a foreign object inside the skirt body;
- fracture (wedge) of the return spring;
- breakage of the solenoid coil conductor.
The first three defects are detected after disassembly of the device by careful inspection of the design and checking the rod for free axial movement.
The last item on the list, wire breakage of the electromagnet coil, requires a separate approach to testing. On the types of failures and methods of their elimination let’s talk further.
Step #3. checking the solenoid coil and its repair
The practice of operating gas columns and boilers shows that the defect of the coil of the electromagnet is not only a breakage of the winding conductor.
The cases of inter-turn short circuits are not uncommon, which also leads to the loss of node operability. How to check the electromagnetic valve of a household gas boiler at home?
Of course, each individual manufacturer of gas columns (boilers) uses the original design of valves. Therefore, the resistance of the inductor coils that make up the electromagnet, differ significantly.
In general, it can be noted a certain range of resistance, typical for such inductors: 1.3. 7.5 kOhm. In fact, the specific parameter should be indicated in the documentation of the equipment.
The measurement of the inductance coil is done traditionally in the mode of measuring resistance by connecting the tester styli to the contacts of the inductance coil. If the device does not respond to the connection, there is obviously a break in the circuit.
If the measured resistance differs from the one in the documentation, there is most likely an inter-turn fault. Either way the coil should be replaced.
In practice, replacement of the coil as a single element in the gas boiler valve is rare. As a rule, if you find a problem with the inductance coil, the entire solenoid valve is replaced.
Such replacement is due to the difficulty of finding a specific component. And the procedure of replacement of a separate element is more complicated than the replacement of a complete gas solenoid valve.
Step #4. Find and fix mechanical defects
As noted above, the magnetic valve for a domestic gas boiler can lose its performance for purely mechanical reasons. For example, accidental penetration of a foreign element inside the valve threatens loss of tightness of the diaphragm seal.
In order to detect the cause of the breakdown, the master will have to perform a series of actions:
No Hot Water: Water Heater Troubleshooting
These manipulations allow you to detect and eliminate the malfunction associated with ingress of foreign objects inside the working chamber.
Among the mechanical defects, quite frequent is the defect of the elastic diaphragm, when there is a violation of the shape or partial destruction of the landing pad. Here, in principle, you can get by with installing a new diaphragm on the stem, but traditionally craftsmen in such cases resort to complete replacement of the solenoid valve.
The same situation is with the repair of the device when it concerns the breaking of the return spring or the loss of the necessary pressure force by this element. To replace the spring, you have to disassemble the entire construction.
In this case, some models are assembled using articulation without screws. using rivets or metal retainers. Therefore it is much easier to replace the entire structure rather than engage in restoration.
Step #5. assembling the valve and checking for leaks
If troubleshooting the gas solenoid valve involved disassembling the mechanical structure, reassembly should include a thorough leak test. Be sure to check the integrity of the gasket installed on the top rim of the skirt, if necessary. replace the gasket.
Assembled unit is checked in a standard (traditional) way with gas supply on. Take a suitable container, fill it with some water and add soap powder. A thick soapy foam is created and applied to the body of the skirt where the gasket is installed. If visually no bubbles are observed, it means that the tightness is within normal limits.
You’ve got the valve sorted out, but you’re faced with a gas heater fading or other problems? With our other articles, where we’ve covered the most common breakdowns and how to fix them: