How to get rid of mold in a washing machine
Leading editor, writes on topics that are relevant to moms: fashion, beauty, nutrition, health, pregnancy, childbirth, parenting, education, hobbies.
Over time, mold can form in the washing machine. This is a visually distinguishable plaque that forms as a result of microscopic fungi. Housekeepers notice it on the rubber rim, inside the machine, in the compartment for the powder. Black mold is also the source of a characteristic unpleasant odor, which can be felt after washing.
Experts believe that mold in the washing machine can also cause health problems.
You can get rid of mold in the washing machine. But you need to act quickly and strictly follow the recommendations.
How to prepare white vinegar at home: mix acetic acid and water in a ratio of 5-10% and 90-95%.
How to get rid of mold in the washing machine?
After identifying all the places of dislocation, you should immediately proceed to the complete destruction of mold.
How to Rid Your Washing Machine of Mold.- The Doctors
To begin with, you should carry out a mechanical cleaning of the elements of the washing machine from mold. Dishwashing detergent, citric acid, sponge or toothbrush. this is an arsenal that can cope with visible colonies of fungi. This, the least aggressive method, is as follows: mix citric acid, dishwashing liquid and a small amount of water. Gel composition should be wiped the places of dislocation of the “enemy” and leave it for the day. Then wash off with a sponge or brush.
Remove mold with a sponge
Dishwashing gel successfully replaces laundry detergent. Approximately 50 gr. Mix the powder and citric acid with water to a thick paste, apply it to the moldy areas for 10 hours, then rinse with a sponge or brush.
The second way to remove mold growth is the use of copper sulfate. For ease of use, you can pour the product into a spray bottle and treat the desired surfaces. To achieve the greatest effect, the product should not be washed off for about a day. Rubber seals in particular need to be thoroughly cleaned and wiped dry.
It is fast and efficient enough. a steam generator. Even stubborn mold can be removed with hot steam.
But mechanical cleaning is usually not enough. Eliminate spores, clean hard-to-get-to places in the washing machine, and get rid of the moldy smell. Sequence of steps:
- Pour any detergent containing chlorine into the dispenser and switch to the washing mode with maximum water temperature for a long time.
- When finished, turn on the “rinse” option using vinegar or citric acid as a cleanser.
- Repeat the wash cycle with as much hot water as possible to remove the musty odor permanently.
- Dry or wipe dry the parts of the washing machine.
The most radical way to combat device mold infestation is the use of industrial fungicides. There is a large arsenal of remedies available in hardware stores. Be sure to read the instructions before using. As a rule, it must be indicated that the product is approved for use in washing machines. Improperly selected “chemicals” can cause damage to expensive parts of the appliance. Fungicides are quite aggressive, you must remember about safety precautions, to work with gloves and protect the respiratory tract from the fumes of the preparation. Fungicides are also dangerous for pets. Treatment should be carried out according to the instructions and be sure to thoroughly rinse the treated surfaces with plenty of water. Then perform a few idle cycles, to avoid leaving traces of the disinfectant on the garment.
Chlorine and aggressive chemicals can certainly cope with the plague in one go, but can cause damage to the rubber parts of the machine. They can harden, crack and break. To avoid this, do not use these chemicals too often. If there is not much black plaque yet and the smell of mustiness is barely detectable, it makes sense to disinfect with hydrogen peroxide:
- Pour about 200 grams of baking soda into the powder compartment.
- Add hydrogen peroxide, preferably in 10 pills.
- Select the maximum water temperature and start the “idle wash”
- Turn on the “rinse” mode.
- Allow to dry or wipe dry when finished.
No less important stage in the fight against fungal infestation of the device is the cleaning of all hoses and filters. You can do it yourself. In the case where the contamination has spread to parts of the heating element, the services of a qualified specialist may be required. In particularly complex cases, alas, serious disassembly of the washing machine and complete replacement of some of its parts is necessary.
If after all the efforts made independently in the machine is still felt musty smell, and even more so after washing unpleasantly smells clothes, you should immediately contact a specialist. After disassembly and inspection, he will give an opinion on the scale of the “disaster”, and decide whether it is necessary to replace the parts.
How to clean the washing machine from mold?
Black mold lives in damp, warm places with insufficient ventilation: bathrooms, toilets, leaks between the ceiling and walls. If when you open the door of the washing machine rotten smell spreads around, and on the inner surface of the rubber seal you can see a black deposit. the machine is infested with mold. Mold in the washing machine is a serious problem and it is very difficult to remove it. Therefore, it is better to install the washing machine is not in the bathroom, but in the kitchen, where the air is drier. In a spacious room it is more convenient to clean the washing machine inside than in a cramped bathroom. In this article, we will tell you how to get rid of mold in the washing machine, because it is dangerous for human health.
How to get rid of mold in the washing machine with household chemicals
Many washing machine owners wonder how to get rid of mold in the washing machine, if folk methods do not help get rid of the smell of mold. In this case, you need to pay special attention to household chemicals. Thanks to a special chemical composition, they will help to cope with the arisen unpleasantness and get rid of it quickly enough and qualitatively.
In addition, you should protect your hands from contact with the chemicals, and the best way to do this is to use rubber gloves.
Special tablets for dishwashers
Although the main focus of their use is to clean dirty dishes, they can also get rid of the smell of mold in the machine. To do this, you will need:
- Prepare 6 7 tablets;
- place the cleaning agent directly into the drum of the washing machine;
Any gel-like dishwashing detergent will also help get rid of this kind of nuisance, characteristic of washing machines. To do this, it is necessary to:
- Prepare an unnecessary toothbrush and cleaning gel;
- Using a toothbrush and dish gel, treat all parts of the machine affected by the fungus;
- run a single wash cycle (without laundry).
If the method did not get rid of the trouble the first time, then the entire procedure to remove the smell of mold from the machine should be repeated again. To get rid of the smell after a second application is obtained in 95% of cases.
This is a special product that comes in the form of a spray, which makes it as easy as possible to use. It is especially designed to fight all kinds of dirt on the rubber parts and the drum of automatic machines and it is ideal for removing the fungus smell from the appliance. Sequence of steps:
- Spray the product on the surfaces infected with fungus;
- Wait a short period of time (1 to 2 minutes).);
- Rinse the cleaning agent well from the appliance elements.
The chemical composition of this product should also be sprayed on the surface to be treated. It disinfects all parts of the appliance and helps to get rid of fungus and odor.
A very effective product that helps to get rid of fungal odors. It is not recommended to treat the rubber elements of machines with this product, since it can damage them. If you cannot get rid of the odor the first time, you can repeat the procedure.
Why is there mold in the washing machine??
Mould fungi can appear at the most unexpected moment and in the most unexpected place. So why is there mold in your washing machine??
- When washing quickly, fungus can form more often than in other cases. Because a temperature of 40 degrees is ideal for fungal growth. Especially if wet laundry has been left inside the machine for a while. In such cases, the fungus can appear both in the machine and initially in the damp warm laundry. In the case of forgotten laundry, the smell of mold in the washing machine will remind you to not only take it out, but also to inspect everything carefully for fungus.
- The powders and rinses you use also play a part. Low bleach powders contribute to the problem because they do not clean the washing machine.
- A large amount of rinse aid washes out the bactericidal substances that have entered the drum with the powder. It is the bactericidal agents that are responsible for preventing both mold and various germs from appearing and spreading. And when washed out, there is no barrier to the growth of mold fungi.
- Washing at low temperatures doesn’t kill the fungus, and it encourages it to spread. So in the drum of the washing machine mold can feel comfortable up to a temperature of 60 degrees Celsius.
So it is necessary to monitor both the modes of washing and the powders you use. The composition is important not only for your laundry, but also for the machine itself. Sometimes we try to wash laundry as quickly, efficiently and gently as possible, and this at times provokes the fungus. You should also pay attention to the dryness of the washing machine and its components between washes. Nothing like warmth and humidity for mold. And, of course, do not forget to take the washed laundry out of the drum for an hour and thoroughly dry it.
What Products Can Be Used?
Let’s briefly summarize what remedies can be used to clean the washing machine from mold:
- Chlorine-containing substances: Domestos, Belizna;
- Alkaline formulas: soda, lye;
- acidic substances (not too aggressive): vinegar, citric acid; ;
- for cleaning the drain hose: compositions for cleaning the drain (Tiret, Mole and others);
- auxiliary agents (do not kill mold, so they are used in conjunction with the above listed to clean surfaces): dishwasher detergents, laundry detergent, etc.д.
Mold in the washing machine what to do
It is frustrating when you expect fragrant, clean laundry but get unpleasant smells. The cause. mold in the washing machine. Yes, yes, the same gray and black deposit, the sight of which causes a desire not to use this machine anymore. And in vain, radical measures are not necessary. We will tell you how to clean the washing machine from mold and eliminate its appearance in the future.
How to clean the washing machine from mold ready-made remedies
An antifungal agent Domestos and others like it will help clean the washing machine.
Before processing wear personal protective equipment: thick waterproof gloves, a mask of three layers of gauze. The composition with the help of a napkin or brush is applied to all the internal parts, soak for three hours.
Wipe the surfaces with a hard sponge, rinse three times with clean water, wipe with a dry cloth. The used materials are wrapped in a cellophane bag and thrown away. This technique is used to get rid of harmful fungus that develops on the surfaces accessible to treatment. If it is localized inside the hoses, filters, disinfection is required.
How to clean the washing machine from mold: step by step instructions
It’s not always easy to clean a machine. if mold didn’t appear yesterday and has had time to develop, it can be difficult to fix. What to do in such a case?
You need to start with identifying all the places that are infested. For example, if you clean one spot, but the spores remain in another, the problem will still be there. Therefore, the very first step in the fight is a careful inspection of all places where fungus can appear.
After detecting the mold foci, you need to clean them with a special effort, but do not forget about the other places. That is, ideally you need a mechanical cleaning and treatment of all surfaces inside.
Since in washing machines, mold usually does not grow very much, you can use both folk and store-bought remedies.
Below we look at ways and stages of removal in different places.
Cleaning the trough
Just rinsing the tray with tap water is unlikely to help. For cleaning, you need to use a paste-like acidic substances, or alkaline preparations. For example, citric acid will do.
Mildew embedded along the rim of the washing machine
- The first thing to do is to remove the container from the machine.
- Apply detergent inside and clean as thoroughly as possible. An old toothbrush is ideal for this. Be sure to clean hard to reach places: Corners, cracks.
- Rinse the tray under running water. Then wipe it off thoroughly and let it dry before putting it back.
Before inserting the container, look also in the compartment in which it is inserted. It is possible that mould has already overgrown there as well. It is less convenient to clean it from the inside, but it is still possible, using the same toothbrush.
To prevent spores from growing in the tray, you must follow these rules:
- Do not use more detergent than necessary.
- If powder remains after washing, you must wash it out yourself: remove the tray and rinse it under running water.
Cleaning the sealing rubber
Washing gum is done with a 50% solution of copper sulfate. Apply the composition on a gauze cloth or any cloth, and then carefully clean the entire length of the rubber seal.
Do not rinse the solution out of the gasket after cleaning it. this should not be done for at least one day. Allow it to “harden” for a day after which the sealant can be rinsed out. If the mold has penetrated too deeply into the sealant and you can not clean it out of all the cracks, there is only one solution. replace it with a new one.
While cleaning be sure to pay attention to the condition of the rubber. Over the course of time it can become tougher, with gaps, holes, and breakthroughs appearing. In such cases, mold can appear not only on the outside of the rubber band, but also on the inside of the seal. In this case it can not be cleaned, and the cuff itself can no longer perform its functions properly.
So if you notice that the rubber band is damaged or has become too stiff, it is better not to bother with its cleaning, and immediately replace it with a new.
Clean the inside of the drum
Usually it is recommended to put a special compound inside, let it stay there for 24 hours, and then rinse it off using the hose. However, there is another way, not less effective, but more convenient.
- Firstly, pour 1 liter of any chlorine solution into the tray.
- Turn the appliance on at maximum temperature and for as long as possible.
- Once the water in the machine heats up to the maximum indicators. suspend the washing process for 2-3 hours.
- After you need to resume the process and let the machine finish washing.
- After washing it is necessary to pour a couple of glasses of apple cider vinegar into the dispenser (but it’s better not to use regular vinegar. it can damage the machine).
- Run the machine again, but already in the rinse mode.
What is good about this method. it not only allows you to get rid of mold and various fungi, but also cleans the machine from the inside.