From a can with alcohol
The debate over whether it is better to use alcohol, for heating the inside or the outside, will never end. This does not prevent campers around the world from using it as fuel for their mini tent stoves. The weight and dimensions of such a construction are insignificant, and it is convenient to take it in a hike.
Materials and tools
To make a homemade camping stove will need:
- Any tin can.
- A nail or awl for making holes.
- Alcohol 96%. Vodka is not suitable.
- Metal lid
- Knife and scissors to cut the tin evenly.
- The line.
Instructions for making
For the manufacture of an alcohol furnace no complicated schemes are needed, the principle is simple and accessible, as are the materials.
- Take two beer cans (or Coca-Cola cans).
- At the bottom of the cans, cut off about 5 cm.
- Insert the bottom into the bottom, twisting slightly the edges of the can. Make a hole in the middle in the part of the bottom that has become the lid of the stove.
- Both in beer and coffee cans make holes for the exit of the fire, with a nail or awl piercing holes around the perimeter, with a diameter of about a millimeter. The number and diameter of the holes should be determined experimentally, depending more on the size of the can itself. For the beer can stove, the holes are made in the lid, and in the coffee can at a level just above the middle.
Rules of operation
Such a burner needs to be kindled in a special way:
- The place for the stove is chosen at a small distance from the walls of the tent. It can be a stone or other immovable, non-flammable base. If the jar with the alcohol turns over, you have to wait for it to burn out.
- Put the oven on a metal lid, an ordinary roll-up will do.
- Pour alcohol on the lid under the base of the burner and light it. Burning alcohol outside the stove should warm up its contents.
Such hiking stoves for tents are used in the off-season, the design will not give a large increase in temperature, but will allow to heat canned food, boil water. One liter of water the stove will boil in 9 minutes at home, in camping it will take longer, it depends on the ambient temperature.
Types of heating for tents
What tasks should solve the heating:
- Heating and lighting of the tent in moderate cold without providing sleep. Ideal for fishermen to keep the holes from freezing. Open fire systems such as a gas burner, a multi-piece candle in a tin can casing, a kerosene bat lantern with a heat-exchanging nozzle will do. Some fishermen use catalytic heaters disposable chemical alum heaters (do not give a significant increase in heat).
When installing a metal stove in a tent, you need to take care of a safe chimney.
- Heating overnight stays during short hikes. A solid metal stainless steel stove, a gas infrared heater with a chimney will do.
- Heating tents with firewood for long hikes. The main characteristics are lightness, reliability, no carbon monoxide, the ability to use local fuel.
- Heating tents in the extreme conditions of mountain passes. The main thing here is lightness and efficiency. Gas burners with a 5-liter camping cylinder are excellent.
Attention! Carbon monoxide problem is the main thing to pay attention to! Just three breaths lead to severe poisoning, unconsciousness and death! Don’t ignore common sense for the sake of immediate comfort.
Depending on the location of the firebox, the tent can be heated both indoors and outdoors.
- Internal heating requires the removal of combustion products, as well as placing the stove in a tight space.
- External heating temperature transmission from the combustion source to the tent without carbon monoxide.
The device is designed not only for heating the overnight. It can also be used as a stove for cooking and boiling a kettle. It is also possible to dry soaked clothes and shoes in close proximity to the stove. But leaving shoes or clothes on the surface of the stove can lead not only to their damage, but also to a fire in the tent. When choosing a unit, you need to rely not only on the popularity of the manufacturer’s brand, but also on the material from which the stove itself and the chimney are made, the diameter and direction of the pipe.
Such a device has a number of advantages:
- relatively small size, which is what attracts most customers;
- good results on heating the tent;
- light weight;
- Ideal for use in both winter and ordinary camping tents.
No matter how good an acquisition it is, it will always have flaws that not everyone can easily come to terms with.
- Expensive. Not every traveler can afford such equipment.
- Size can be both an undeniable plus and a significant disadvantage for a particular hike, if it passes through dense forests or rocky terrain. This applies only to species that cannot be dismounted.
It is important to consider the material and the purpose of the tent itself. As a rule, winter tents are designed to use heating accessories in them, and they use denser materials in their construction. And also these types of tents have a double layer of walls, which does not allow too much heat loss, which cannot be said about an ordinary summer camping tent. If there is a need to use heating in it, it is necessary to take some precautions.
For example, find out the characteristics of this tent and see if the material of the simple model can withstand high temperatures, as well as install the stove itself away from the walls of the tent.
Although externally all the stoves are very similar, they have a lot of differences: in the principle of operation, design and ways of installation in the tent itself. All devices are differentiated into wood-fired and gas-fired.
Wood stove. this is the most common type. Its main advantage is practically an endless supply of fuel. While the gas one will work until the gas cylinder runs out, which is not difficult to bring with you. This option of heating will be relatively inexpensive, most importantly, safe to use.
This indispensable thing will suit fishermen in winter, as it will be much easier to bring a gas cylinder than to drag a bundle of firewood with you.
Probably the most recognizable furnace. the “burzhuyka”. During dozens of years of its existence, has undergone hundreds of modifications, but the principle of operation has not changed. It does not have a certain geometry, can be round or square, has a good heat output. This option is very popular among fans of doing everything with their own hands. Burzhuyka characterized by low costs and good results in the output.
For hikers, collapsible mini-stoves are good for hiking. They are lightweight and take up very little space when unassembled. In terms of functionality are not inferior to their “adult” counterparts, except for one problem inherent in all collapsible stoves: they do not have stiffeners, they strongly bend from the temperature. As a rule, collapsible stoves are relatively inexpensive. The price depends on the material used in the assembly process.
The better the material is resistant to high temperatures, the higher the cost.
When it comes to large tents for 10 people, as well as heating small areas such as a storage room, basement, and the like, the stove must match the volume. A portable stove is suitable for such needs. It is often chosen by cottagers, geologists and rescuers. This choice is due to the relatively small size and weight of the furnace, its economy, reliability and efficiency.
Such a device is easy to move from place to place, it does not require a lot of fuel, it is easy to install and will not interfere with other things.
Materials such as cast iron and titanium are used in the process of making stoves. Cast iron and titanium devices are more reliable, but quite heavy. Models made of these metals are durable and resistant to high temperatures, but are quite rare.
When searching for the perfect stove for your tent, you need to understand that there is no one-size-fits-all model for all life situations. Each option is designed for a specific purpose.
Whatever the equipment, there are a number of requirements for it:
- Small dimensions and weight;
- Economical consumption of fuel material;
- Compliance with fire safety standards;
- Easy installation of the device in the tent without the use of special tools;
- reliable and uninterrupted operation;
- ease of operation.
There are many options for solving the tasks set. They are widely discussed on forums, blogs, presented in information sections, video tutorials.
If you group all the methods described in online resources, we get the following two categories:
- Heating the tent with the help of materials and items, often included in the usual set of the tourist; this method is simple and quick to perform, based on elementary knowledge and principles of operation;
- Heat supply using special devices, such as a gas burner, mobile oven, lamp and others.
Stove for a tent with their own hands. How to make a safe stove for winter fishing with their own hands?! Made quickly warms up perfectly!
Winter tent material
As soon as the ice on the bodies of water is firm enough, fishermen head for the holes, taking a good winter tent for more convenience and protection. As a rule, such products are made taking into account the weather conditions, so that fishermen can do their favorite thing in relative comfort. In order to choose a reliable tent, you need to take into account a number of nuances. After all, at the present time there are many different options for such products.
Going to a specialized store to buy a reliable winter house, you need to know what design features of such a shelter should be considered. The tents are made from a wide variety of reliable and modern materials. Many models are made specifically for astronauts and military. To get acquainted with the characteristics of a particular material, which is used to manufacture the product, you need only look at the labeling of the fabric. Its deciphering can be seen in the specification.
As a rule, synthetic materials are used for the production of winter models of tents. Most often it is nylon, polyester, lavsan and others. Specialists for winter fishing and recreation recommend choosing those fabrics that are made on a polyester base, such as lavsan or polyester.
In this video you will learn about the pros and cons of a winter tent with a stove:
The tent must be big enough for the owner to comfortably spend the night with a heated stove, when his own heat is no longer warm, and there is no possibility of accidentally hit with his foot and overturn a working heating device in his sleep. If there are doubts it is better to use alternative ways in order not to freeze hands and feet. For example, you can put a heat accumulator in your sleeping bag.
The stove, including self-made, must be light, economical, work even with wood and charcoal, not forcing the tourist to buy alcohol, diesel or other petroleum products or search for plastic garbage for burning, which gives a very acrid and smoking smoke.
The main thing is that the construction must be made of metal. The best choice as the main material is fire-safe stainless steel, which does not pollute the air in the tent with combustion products that would lead to suffocation while sleeping. The best option is a stove with a chimney. The firebox must stand on its own feet and be set on an insulating base.
The stove without a chimney will lead to the fact that the owner can get burnt.
Spark arresting and efficiency
Optionally burzhuyka or chipotch can have a coil chimney, in which the resulting sparks rising up, has time to extinguish. If a hot spark falls on the tent roof, it could burn a hole, making overnight stays and camping trips in sudden heavy rain or heavy rain questionable.
If there is no sparks extinguisher in the construction, you have to install the pipe so that it does not go through the roof of the tent (vertically), but through any of its walls (horizontally). In addition, the horizontal tube noticeably improves the heating of the air inside the shelter. This approach is especially relevant on frosty days, when every degree of precious heat counts.
Best Wood Burning Stove for Camping
Types of heating for tents
What tasks the heating should do:
- Heating and lighting a tent in moderate cold without providing sleep. Ideal for fishermen. to keep the holes from freezing up. Suitable systems of open fire. gas burner, multi-pitched candle in a canning jar cover, kerosene lantern “bat” with a heat exchanger nozzle. Some fishermen use catalytic heaters. single refill chemical ones with aluminum alum (do not give a significant increase in heat).
When installing a metal stove in the tent, you need to take care of a safe chimney.
- Heating overnight stays during short hikes. A solid stainless steel metal stove or a gas infrared heater with a chimney will do.
- Heating your tents with firewood for long hikes. The main characteristics. lightweight, reliable, no carbon monoxide, the ability to use local fuel.
- Heating tents in the extreme conditions of mountain passes. The main thing here. lightness and efficiency. Gas burners with a 5-liter hiking cylinder are excellent.
Attention! Carbon monoxide problem. the main thing to consider! Just three breaths lead to severe poisoning, unconsciousness and death! Don’t compromise common sense for the sake of short-term comfort.
The heating of the tent can be internal or external, depending on the location of the firebox.
- Internal heating requires removal of combustion products, as well as placement of the stove in a tight space.
- External heating. transfer of temperature from the combustion source to the tent without carbon monoxide.
Is it possible to install a stove-saver?
For a small winter camping trip, a thin-walled steel stove is fine. It will heat a large tent, and transporting a heavy stove in winter makes it easier to use a sledge or a drag.
It consists of the furnace and the chimney. The firebox hatch must regulate the intensity of combustion and the entire structure must be hermetically sealed.
The body of the stove heats up a lot. On the one hand. a plus, it is used as a camping stove for heating a kettle or food. Minus. danger of fire. The wall of the tent next to the stove must be covered with foil-isol, the valve at the outlet of the chimney is better to be made of heat-resistant fabric. a fire hose or a fireman suit.
Installing and heating such a stove is simple. install the retractable legs, pass through a valve on the roof chimney, lay the wood.
Minus. short autonomy time, the possibility of reverse smoke when tossing wood and strong wind, sparks from the pipe at a high flame, a relatively large weight.
Hot Tent Cooking on Wood Stove
Efficient dry pipe system. The drawing
The original and proven method of heating can be a dry pipe run through a “Finnish candle” fire. If the tent is large, you can run a pipe through a campfire or a smoldering coal pit. This method is only gaining popularity, but wins over others in simplicity, efficiency, safety and transportability.
Drawing of the tent heating with the dry pipe system. Cold air moves through the pipe, on the way it is heated by the fire.
In principle, this is one of the safest options for heating the tent. The principle of operation of this device is as simple as it is. The design includes a pipe with a bend. It is desirable that the pipe was thin-walled and had a diameter of not less than 45. 50 mm. The length of the straight section is about 3 meters, the length of the section after the bend is about 1 meter.
The principle of operation is as follows. The straight pipe is led into the tent at a distance of 10-15 cm. The bend is placed in a Finnish candle. a section of a tree trunk with a selected core. The log is placed vertically, and set at a height of 10-15 cm above the ground. The section after the bend is installed so that its lower end did not reach the ground 4-5 cm. After firing the candle, the air in the pipe is heated and enters the tent, sucking the cold air into the pipe under the candle. The efficiency of this option of heating the tent is very high. Heating is fast, and most importantly, the burning time of the candle reaches 5-6 hours, which is quite enough to rest in a warm tent. And if you prepare a few candles, there will always be heat.
Stove for a tent with their own hands
Homemade stove burzhuyka for heating the tent, made with their own hands, photo of the design and size of the stove.
A very necessary homemade device for heating the tent in the cold season. A collapsible compact stove burzhuyka, will heat a tent or small room, and the cooking surface can be used for cooking.
The oven is made of 2mm steel sheet, we could make it of a thicker sheet, but this would make it much heavier.
-33° Extreme COLD Alone in a Tent Shack. Red Hot Wood Stove
The bottom was cut 40 x 30 cm, the flange was 2 cm high. The flanges were bent on a pipe-bending machine, welded, cut and drilled by ourselves.
The hinges are made of ordinary steel. Corner stiffeners 2 mm thick, 20 mm ribs on the full length of the board. The corners for mounting the steel mesh pallet are 5 cm above the bottom. M8 screws with wing nut.
Chimney. galvanized pipe diameter of 220 mm, pipe height 1.5 meters.
This is what the furnace looks like disassembled.
Oven packed in a bag, can be transported in the trunk of a car.
The stove consists of side walls, front and back walls, a crate with a hole for the chimney, the bottom, grates and chimney pipe.
The stove is quickly mounted in working condition and instantly warms up the air in the tent. Regarding the thickness of the metal thickness of 2 mm, if you heat moderately, the metal does not burn, if the metal is behavioral, it can be straightened with a hammer. The stove can be made of thicker metal, but after all, the weight of the stove is important for camping.
Types of solid fuel stoves
Among hikers and travelers are widely used different types of heating the tent in the winter time. The most popular models on solid fuel:
- “Economist”. tourist long-burning stoves for a tent. The device device allows to keep the burning process on one load of firewood up to 10 hours. Instead of a door, it has a round hole that is tightly closed with a lid with a handle in the form of a staple. At the bottom of the stove is built in an ash-pan. a small pipe, on the cylindrical surface of which are drilled holes in rows. On it tightly put the cover-cap of the length equal to the spigot. Removed position creates the maximum draft, the fire becomes more intense, quickly heating up the stove. As the hood overlaps rows of holes on the spigot the draught force is regulated. If you push the hood up to the stop, all the holes will be closed, the blowing will stop, and the wood will slowly smolder. Usually thicker logs are laid for the night, once they have caught fire the ash-pit is closed and the tent space is kept pleasantly warm all night long. In the morning it is enough to put some logs on the unextinguished embers, to move back the bellcap and the fire will start again.
- Hiking tent stove “Volokusha” has a streamlined shape, making it suitable for transporting food or small items needed by a tourist, angler or hunter.
- Round collapsible and hinged stoves can be easily dismantled, stored in compact packs that fit in a backpack. On the spot is quickly assembled, but requires some skills.
Tourist stoves have several types of installation. For example, in the “Vyuga” and “Domik” tents, the heating devices are suspended under the ridge of the tent. Sometimes attached to a central post in the tent or simply placed on legs. But such a setting is not particularly convenient. If you put the stove right in the snow, it will constantly thaw from the heat. So you have to dig a similar-sized pit through the square “window” of the tent’s bottom and cover it with fiberglass or asbestos, and then put the stove.
Homemade tent stove
Most of us are into outdoor activities. We all love fresh air, sleeping in tents under the stars and winter fishing. That said, we try to do this year-round. In summer, of course, the tent is dry and warm, but in the off-season and winter at night is not quite comfortable, so you need stoves for heating and cooking.
Today we’re going to talk about tent stoves with our own hands. There are a lot of them, from the simplest to the most complicated. Such a stove should be lightweight, economical, meet fire safety requirements, be easy to install and operate, have a long burning function, and be reliable. This is the minimum set of requirements for a camping stove. There are several options for installing the stove in the tent: in the middle on a special bracket, installation on legs closer to the wall of the tent, but if the snow is deep, it is possible to flood.
Types of stoves with a long combustion
If you have planned to build the stove of long burning with your own hands, you have all the tools and you are not afraid of difficulties, then the information from the next section of our review will be very useful to you. we will tell you about the varieties of these stoves.
The simplest of all stoves is the burzhuyka. It is an iron stove built on the basis of an old gas cylinder or sheet metal. In order to ensure prolonged combustion, its internal volume is made very large. the easiest way to do this is in models made of sheet steel, just choose a suitable size drawing.
Such a stove can run on wood, on coal, and on pressed solid fuel. It is easy to use, easy to heat and gives a lot of heat. It is also characterized by unpretentiousness. If you need a simple stove for dacha, feel free to choose a burzhuyka. it will be the simplest and most affordable option.
A wood-burning stove fireplace made of brick or stone
This option is good because we can realize in it a long combustion and work on the design. In the network there are drawings of such stoves with large combustion chambers and with afterburning chambers. these are so-called pyrolysis units. They burn not only fuel but also the gases generated in the pyrolysis process. The unit made of brick is bulky, but very effective. Here are its advantages:
- Long-term heat preservation due to the use of bricks or stone;
- Excellent appearance. it is enough to find a suitable design and make a neat masonry;
- Ability to work in the living space, in contrast to all the same “bubafoni”.
The disadvantage is that to assemble such a stove long combustion will require experience in masonry brick.
Presented furnace has an impressive size, working on wood and differs in a very simple design. depending on the volume, it will be able to burn up to 20-24 hours, not requiring frequent approaches for loading wood. For its manufacture will need a pair of metal vessels with lids (suitable barrels of 100-200 liters), pipes for the chimney and air supply, as well as the channel to create the weighted piston.
Long-burning furnace “bubafonya” most often used for heating non-residential buildings. these are garages, greenhouses with growing crops, technical facilities and auxiliary premises. Some craftsmen equip it with heating circuits, which allows you to heat living rooms without the risk of filling them with acrid smoke.