Laser hair removal: how many procedures do we need??
The modern technique of hair removal on the body and face with laser is an opportunity to effectively affect hair follicles, remove unwanted hair in the right places, and thus get rid of minor discomfort. We used to regularly take enough time, destroying the hair on our own, with a loom, an epilator, in some places even with tweezers. Apparatus cosmetology and the properties of laser discovered by science have saved us from this.
Naturally, many people think before laser hair removal: how long the results of one session are enough, whether it is necessary to repeat it, how many times to visit the salon or the clinic for the maximum effect. Laser hair removal allows to forget about the need to constantly think about repeated manipulations, but to get perfectly smooth legs, bikini zone or other parts of the body, it is still required not one session. To understand why this happens and whether it is a ploy of doctors, we’ll look at you in this article, the peculiarities of the laser and our body, inherent in nature.
Laser hair removal: contraindications and side effects for women
If you ignore the contraindications, after laser hair removal there will be burns, allergies, rashes or other complications. Contraindications are divided into two groups: absolute and relative.
Absolute contraindications to the laser hair removal procedure
Hair removal by laser is prohibited in the presence of absolute contraindications, such as:
- Oncology, tumors (growth of unwanted cells is possible);
- Diabetes (the procedure provokes a sugar spike);
- Immune and dermatologic chronic diseases;
- Individual intolerance to laser beam;
- Taking sulfonamide drugs and antibiotics (the use of drugs increases the sensitivity of the skin).
Light or gray hair is a contraindication for every type of laser except for neodymium lasers. Alexandrite, ruby equipment better removes dark hair containing melanin. It is not desirable to expose alexandrite rays to tanned or dark-skinned skin, as light spots may appear.
Sometimes contraindications include age under 18 years old. Young people have underdeveloped hair follicles, often have inflammation on the skin. Hair removal of some zones is permitted from the age of 13.
Relative contraindications to laser hair removal procedure
If there are relative contraindications, the sessions should be coordinated with a dermatologist, gynecologist, or therapist. The permission of the attending physician is required in the following cases:
- Wounds, scars, abrasions, burns, irritation, tattoos or birthmarks in the affected area;
- Seasonal allergic reactions, pigmentation disorders;
- Respiratory infections in the active phase;
- Cardiovascular and endocrine diseases;
- pregnancy, lactation period;
- epilepsy, mental illness.
Permission from a dermatologist is required if the patient has sunbathed for two weeks prior to the procedure.
Contraindications to laser hair removal
The following contraindications may be a barrier to facial hair removal:
- cancer, diabetes, acute viral infections;
- Chronic skin diseases, pigmentation disorders;
- Herpes, moles, varicose veins, wounds and other lesions;
- Saturated tanning within two weeks before and after the treatment;
- dark-haired skin, strong tan, insufficient contrast between hair and skin color (restrictions apply when using alexandrite and ruby lasers).
Laser hair removal of the upper lip has the same contraindications and consequences. If you have a lot of hair above the lip, the cosmetologist will advise the patient to consult an endocrinologist.
Is there any contraindication to diode hair removal?
Diode laser removes any hair in its active growth phase. It is most effective in the treatment of light hairs on slightly darker skin. The beam easily manages ingrown or stiff hair shafts in hard-to-reach places.
Diode laser hair removal has standard contraindications and consequences. The procedure is prohibited in the presence of cancer, epilepsy, tendency to scar tissue, taking antibiotics. In the area of the laser should not be varicose veins, herpes, fungus, allergies, wounds and abrasions, numerous moles.
Rules of conduct after laser hair removal
Immediately after the epilation procedure, erythema (redness) and edema (swelling) around hair follicles in the epilation area may occur, which may last up to 2 hours and longer. The erythema may persist for up to 2-3 days. The sensation in the area affected by the laser is similar to a sunburn, but after a few hours the sensation goes away.
On the laser-treated zones, the doctor shall apply a local moisturizer, such as panthenol spray, Bepanten cream. At home it is also recommended to continue the use of these products for a few days.
Makeup can be applied immediately after the procedure, as long as the skin is not irritated.
- After laser hair removal one should not be exposed to direct sunlight for 1 month in order to prevent skin hyperpigmentation.
- The patient should use sunscreen (SPF 30) (can be purchased at the Center) during the whole course of treatment.
- The patient should not injure or scratch the skin in the laser area, do not use any other methods of hair removal (wax, electrocoagulation, tweezing), which damage the hair follicle in the area. Shaving is preferable.
- The hair after laser hair removal burns out. From day 10 to 21, the patient may notice that the hair has fallen out. The patient can clean or remove hair while washing, carefully using a washcloth.
- After laser hair removal of the armpit area within 24 hours the patient should not use deodorants, to reduce skin irritation powder (powder) can be used instead.
- Washing is not forbidden, but it is necessary to treat the skin with care, at least the first 24 hours after the procedure.
- After the hair removal procedure, the hair growth returns partially (in 4-6 weeks for the upper half of the body and 1,5-2 months for the lower half), but not earlier than in 3 weeks. To get rid of hair permanently, it is necessary to apply to the Center for repeated one or several procedures. On average, 4 to 8 treatments are required (depending on the area).
If you have any questions concerning laser hair removal procedure you can consult with a specialist of the Laser hair removal center by the phone 8(499)973-10-80.
Why it is so important not to sunbathe before laser hair removal
The desire of getting a chocolate skin tint is quite understandable. But it is worth to postpone going to the beach or to the tanning studio for some time, if you want to say goodbye to unwanted hair thanks to the laser. Before laser hair removal it is necessary to exclude skin exposure to ultraviolet light for 2 weeks, because under its influence melanocytes produce too much melanin. The skin becomes dark, and the effectiveness of the procedure is considerably reduced. Besides, the client is exposed to a serious risk of getting a burn.
It is considered that a light tan obtained simply by driving in the city is not critical for laser procedures. But you can reinsure yourself and use sunscreens with SPF 30 or more.
Skin care after laser hair removal: what you can and what not to do?
Despite the safety and universality of laser hair removal procedure, it is important to properly care for the skin after it to maintain the effect of smooth skin as long as possible.
After the session, the master will tell you what skin care products to use improvise and you should not violate his recommendations. Usually experts advise to use a mild cream with a restorative effect, which will help the skin to regenerate.
You should not pull out the hair, wait until the hair follicle dies out completely, and the hair will fall out on its own. It is possible to remove mature hair again, but not earlier than 3 days after the visit. Use a regular loom that removes only the visible part of the hair.
- Alcohol lotions and other products containing alcohol are prohibited, especially for 48 hours after the procedure.
- Massage is not recommended on the laser-exposed areas for 3 days after the procedure.
- Use of peelings, scrubs and other cosmetics that have aggressive effects on the skin should also be canceled both before and after hair removal, at least for 3 days.
- Tanning beds and natural tanning on the beach is contraindicated for at least a week after visiting the salon.
- Exposure to high temperatures is harmful to the skin after laser hair removal, so it is prohibited to visit saunas, baths and swimming pools.
- If the face has been laser hair removal, the doctor advises to refuse decorative cosmetics and conventional creams to wait until the skin fully regenerates.
- Hygiene procedures should be performed in warm water without using soap and tonics, avoiding overheating of the skin.
If You’re Considering Laser Hair Removal, Use This Safety Checklist
We recommend to read about all the advantages and disadvantages of laser hair removal “Pros and cons of laser hair removal.
Do you want to have smooth skin and forget about unwanted hair for a few years??
Make an appointment for laser hair removal on a modern device with the built-in cooling system. The procedure is comfortable and painless, and the risk of complications is excluded.
What to do after laser hair removal?, Can I bathe after laser hair removal??, Is it possible to visit baths, saunas, swimming pools?? Kim Valeria Malikovna Kim, cosmetologist of the DM Center for Dermatocosmetology, answers:
Peculiarities of skin care after laser hair removal
Skin condition after laser hair removal is largely determined by the type of equipment used by the specialist. Minimal rehabilitation is required for the fourth generation devices. Special attention should be paid to the latest development of scientists diode laser MedioStarNext, as well as neodymium Magic 3. The devices are created on the principle of combining waves of different lengths. This exposure is guaranteed to destroy the hair and hair follicles without damaging the surrounding tissue. Built-in cooling mechanism eliminates burns. After laser hair removal no pigment spots or swellings occur. slight redness disappears in a few hours.
Unlike other devices, neodymium and diode lasers are not painful for the patient and are used for any skin type. Even when removing hair in sensitive areas, only a slight tingling sensation is felt.
Due to the fine-tuning of the beam and correction of the exposure zone the effect is achieved in a short period of time. The session only lasts a few minutes. As an additional protection and comfort using cooling gel. Patients do not require anesthesia.
How many laser hair removal treatments does it take for the lasting effect?
The ultimate goal of laser hair removal is maximum hair removal. During the procedure, the hair follicle is completely destroyed, with no possibility of subsequent regeneration. Already after 7-10 days hair falls out in the affected area. But it is not possible to get rid of unwanted vegetation on the body or face during a single session. Depending on the area to be waxed, hair color, laser power and several other factors, 2 to 12 visits may be needed.
During the first laser hair removal it is possible to destroy from about 10-30% of follicles, which are in the active growth phase. Many follicles are dormant and not growing. Therefore, in 3-6 weeks a repeat session is conducted, in which the next group of “awakened” and started active growth of hair follicles is destroyed. Each subsequent session will be scheduled with a longer time interval, and less and less hair will appear.
It is strictly forbidden
If you ignore the recommendations for skin care after laser treatment, it may lead to serious consequences. Experienced cosmetologists and specialists at Laser Aesthetics Clinic always consult their patients and share their helpful advices.
It is necessary to pay special attention to what categorically should not be done in the nearest days after the laser procedure. Absolute prohibitions include the following:
- After the procedure, you may notice burnt hairs. do not pull them out, do not shave, and do not remove with wax or sugar paste.
- If crusts appear on your skin, do not tear them off, otherwise you will be left with pigment spots.
- The first day after the laser hair removal refrain from taking a bath or shower.
- Do not rub the skin area subjected to laser procedures with a sponge for two days.
- Do not massage your skin for three days.
- Do not use alcohol-based skin care products, creams or scrubs that contain retinol, glycolic acid or large abrasive particles.
- Also, do not go to the bath, sauna or sunbathe for three days.
What to do and what not to do after laser treatment?
Over the vacations we answered the most popular questions about laser procedures and created a table to help you compare them. If you missed it, look for the post “recovery after laser” in our feed.
There is still one more important question, what to do and what not to do after the laser? Proper care after the procedure also affects the quality of the result.
We’ve compiled a list of top recommendations for you after laser treatments.
- Avoid any skin steaming procedure (baths, saunas, hot baths, and long showers) for at least 2 weeks, and for laser resurfacing 1 month.
- Forget about getting a tan. In a tanning bed or in the sun, even with a hat, under an umbrella or in a tunic, for at least a month
- Eliminate mechanical irritation: scrubbing, peeling, gommage, waxing for 1-4 weeks.
- MUST use sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 every day for at least 1 month. In some cases, your doctor may recommend a longer period.
- If you have started taking anti-viral medications prior to the laser treatment, do not stop taking them under any circumstances. It is necessary to complete your prescribed course.
- In the first days after the laser procedure, you will need sterile gauze wipes, a skin cleansing solution and a moisturizing revitalizer. Your doctor will choose it for you at your appointment, depending on the type of laser procedure.
- Carry a small bottle of thermal water with you and irrigate your face several times a day, this is especially important in the first week after some laser treatments.
- After any laser procedure, your skin is ready to take the most out of your facials! So spoil her with masks, serums, mesotherapy, biorevitalization, plasmolifting. Believe me, it will be grateful to you and will please you in return!
And most importantly, do not worry! Our doctors are experts in laser cosmetology, you can safely trust them with your beauty and health.
See more news:
Free SkinCeuticals screening and cosmetic consultation from February 28 through March 7!
You can get 4D laser rejuvenation at special price in February!
Hair loss. causes and treatments