How to connect an automatic washing machine without plumbing
Convenient and reliable washing machines are successfully used in urban apartments, where there is always a good cold water pressure and sewage is available. But villagers and dacha owners continue to use outdated models that require manual filling and draining, citing the inability to properly supply water to modern devices. Let’s consider how to connect the automatic machine without central plumbing, to be able to use the benefits of civilization.
The washing machine for dacha without plumbing. profitable and convenient
All you need is water and electricity. Even in the old dacha communities there are no problems with electricity. Unstable, intermittent, with low voltage, but it is there.
Connecting the washing machine if there is no water supply
And the water supply system is still not installed in most private plots in the CIS. It is not difficult to simulate a drain. It is sufficient to take the pipe to the toilet or prepare the tank in advance. The main thing is the availability of electricity.
As for the water supply. you can choose to use:
Even in the absence of a permanent source of water, you can take advantage of rain, which often go in the dacha season.
When the machine must be connected without running water
Modern equipment makes it possible to create normal conditions for the qualitative work of any automatic washing machine even in a country house. To do this, you need to remember the principle of operation of such devices.
How does the washing machine work?
The automatic washing machine (CMA) is an intelligent household appliance capable of performing its duties with only three connections:
- to the 220 volt AC power supply;
- To source of clean water, supplied with enough pressure to dissolve detergents and fill the tank;
- to the point where it drains the used liquids.
Scheme of operation of a washing machine
All operations are controlled by the control unit which actuates the motor which rotates the drum, the pump which pumps out the liquid, the valves and sensors which regulate the filling of the tank with liquid. After loading the laundry and pouring the powder into the special tub, the valve on the water supply line opens. It flushes the powder and fills the tank to a certain level. The heating element is responsible for its heating.
Soaking, washing and spinning processes take place as the drum rotates at the required speed. During operation, the water is pumped out of the machine several times, taking with it all the extraneous inclusions. As a result, the hostess retrieves slightly damp clean laundry, which only needs to be dried and ironed.
For information! Some models are able to give out things without wrinkling in the dried state.
It turns out that there are almost no problems with the named connections in the countryside. Electrification is present everywhere. For times of power surges, you can use a gasoline or diesel power generator. Septic tanks or cesspools are available for draining dirty liquids, while the water supply is ensured by a number of technical devices which create the necessary pressure. You only need to know how to connect your washing machine without plumbing.
Advantages of using the washing machine without plumbing
The operation of automatic washing machines in villages without centralized water supply can give their owners tangible benefits:
- You can use rainwater, which is considered the softest and cleanest. It allows high-quality washing of things, using a minimum of detergents. No limescale buildup on the heating element, which extends its service life.
- For the use of water from your own well or well do not have to pay, and this is a direct savings in the family budget.
- An old model that you have deemed unsuitable for a city apartment can still serve for many years in the countryside.
If you appreciate the convenience, then you can safely take to the country house of new or used equipment, knowing exactly how to connect a modern washing machine without plumbing.
Choosing a washing machine that can work without connecting to the water supply, you should pay attention to such technical characteristics:
- the amount of dry laundry to load into the machine;
- power consumption;
- power class;
- wash class;
The amount of dry laundry loaded in the machine can vary from 1.5 to 8.0 kg. Therefore, the volume of the washing tank is chosen individually, depending on the needs of the family. The power consumption depends primarily on the load of the machine. In large machines with a load of 6-8 kg capacity, of course, more power than those in which you can load no more than 2 kg.
Currently there are seven classes of washing machines with energy and washing classes. These classes are denoted by Latin letters A, B, C, D, E, F, G. The equipment of class A consumes the least amount of electricity, and class G. the most. The letter A also signifies a higher washing class. Accordingly, G class machines wash the laundry with the lowest quality, which is little different from hand washing.
As for the manufacturers, there are quite a few. These are mostly companies which have been on the market for decades. They produce machines under the brand name Malyutka, Assol, Belosnezhka, Oka, Fairy, etc.
Necessary tools and materials
To connect a washing machine without running water is not possible without a set of tools. Careful preparation for work. the key to its rapid and successful implementation. To install the equipment will need:
- A 100-liter sturdy water tank;
- a centrifugal pump or a primitive garden pump;
- a hose that meets the parameters of the pump;
- plumbing valve, metal spigot, rubber gaskets, nuts and locknuts;
- adapter for connecting the washing machine hose;
- connecting parts;
- Wrenches of variable size;
- double-wire electrical cable;
- screwdriver, electric screwdriver;
- universal silicone sealant.
Depending on the type of washing machine and the conditions in which it is installed, the set of tools and parts may vary.
First of all we have to read the manual written by the manufacturer.
Options for connecting the automatic machine without a water supply
An automatic washing machine without connection to the central line can be used in various ways. Which one is right for you, you decide.
Container for laundry detergents
The simplest materially possible way of feeding clean water into the tank is to manually pour it through a half-open container for powder and special solutions. It does not need any technical tricks, but requires constant human involvement. He will have to use a bucket or other utensil to top up the water each time it is needed according to the chosen program.
If you think about it! In this case, the very meaning of using a automatic machine disappears. Soon the owner has the desire to buy a simple activator-type appliances.
A tank of water
The following option provides for installation at a certain elevation of a small reservoir or container, with its connection pipe or hose to the receiving nozzle of the machine. It will be able to work normally, and the water will flow by gravity. For all the reasonableness of this approach, this method has significant disadvantages:
How Do You Manually Run An Automatic Washing Machine Without Tap Connection?
- To create enough pressure to flush the powder to raise the tank to a height of about 10 meters. Agree that not every cottage has such dimensions, and specifically to build a water tower. not the cheapest solution.
- Carrying in buckets upstairs about 100 liters of water required for each wash, will not be ready for every adherent of such “automation” of household labor.
Drilling the well
Almost all issues with the provision of household appliances with cold water removes the device on a suburban plot artesian well. It is equipped with a pumping station, which maintains working pressure in automatic mode. In this case, connecting a washing machine in a house without plumbing will not differ from a regular installation somewhere in a city apartment. This method has two disadvantages:
- The aquifer can be deep. Then drilling a well and installing a powerful pump would cost a lot of money.
- Water from the well may contain dissolved mineral salts, which will adversely affect the operation of the heating element and cause the development of premature corrosion of the equipment.
Using the pump
If the main thing for the normal operation of the automatic machine is a stable supply of clean water with the necessary pressure, then even the simplest centrifugal pump, turned on for the duration of washing, will be a simple solution to the problem. It is enough to put it in a nearby drinking well or connect it to a small container installed near the washing machine. For your information! For these purposes it is possible to use a stationary surface or submersible pump, which creates a delivery pressure of not less than one atmosphere.
Using a pump
According to experts, a pressure pump for a washing machine is the most optimal and acceptable way to connect the equipment in a place where there is no plumbing. To do this you need to install a barrel next to the machine, install a tap into it and connect a hose with a pressure pump.
In addition to this method being efficient, there is virtually no cost to implement.
What tools to use to connect the automatic machine without plumbing
To install a machine without plumbing, you need to know what tools and parts to have on hand.
You can buy in advance from the store those parts that you will not find in the garage or in the cottage. So, from the tools you will need a small adjustable wrench, a screwdriver and pliers. Also for measuring work stock up on a tape measure and a building level. Do not do without a good knife and tape for sealing.
- solenoid valve;
- a 3/4″ tee tap;
- a pressure pump;
- gaskets and clamps;
- flow filters;
- hoses to organize the plumbing.
Be sure to prepare for this process. You’d better leave some extra bits and pieces. everything comes in handy when you need it!
It is important! The size of the hose depends on the model of the machine. There may be some difficulties during installation, so it is very difficult to foresee them.
Independent connection of the washing machine without plumbing
Now let’s talk about how to connect a washing machine. As you have already understood, there may be some difficulties in the process, so we offer a general description.
- Choose a place for installation. The floor in the room must be perfectly flat, preferably concrete. At the same time, there must be a socket nearby.
- Next to the washing machine install a 50-liter barrel.
- For convenience, the barrel should be with a hinged lid. you do not have to spend a lot of time filling the container.
- Make a wooden support stand with a height of 50-100 cm. place the barrel on it.
- In the wall of the tank from the bottom make a hole of 3 / 4 inches under the thread of the tap, insert the rubber gasket and install the tap-connector.
- Connect the discharge pressure hose to the faucet, connect it to the pump.
- Connect the discharge hose, using the adapter, to the inlet hose of the washing machine.
Important! Tighten the hose clamps firmly to ensure watertight connections.
Now you know that the lack of plumbing is not a problem when installing a washing machine-automatic, because you can solve it too. The main thing. the right approach to this task.
Tools and materials required
connecting a washing machine without running water is not feasible without a set of tools. Careful preparation for work. the key to its quick and successful implementation. To install the equipment you will need:
- 100 liters of sturdy water tank;
- A centrifugal pump or a primitive garden pump;
- The hose that meets the parameters of the pump;
- water valve, metal pipe, rubber gaskets, nuts and locknuts;
- Transitional element to connect the hose of the machine;
- Connecting parts;
- wrenches of variable size;
- Electric cable with two conductors;
- Screwdriver, electric screwdriver;
- universal silicone sealant.
Depending on the type of washing machine and the conditions in which it is installed, the set of tools and parts may vary.
First of all, it is necessary to read the instructions drawn up by the manufacturer.
What you need for laundry in the country?
Water and electricity. If the issue with electricity has been solved long ago and everywhere, then with water is much more complicated. Well, you can do laundry without a sewage drain. the drain in the private sector can always be arranged without much cost. Connecting the washing machine in a country house without plumbing is possible, the main thing that there is electricity and source of water, everything else is solvable. Water sources:
- Precipitation. Collect rainwater. It is better than in the well. soft, no need to add softeners. Things wash out well.
- Well. Free source.
- Well. You will have to spend money to drill it.
Let’s find out how to connect a washing machine (CMA) to a water source. what are the options for water supply.
Water supply to the washing machine without plumbing
In the village without a water supply rarely use a washing machine. Traditional activator versions are popular here. pour a couple of buckets of water yourself, wash, drain. All done by human hands. Dacha residents are city dwellers, accustomed to the comfort, so the prospect of carrying water by hand does not tempt them. If it is impossible to connect the water supply in the dacha, you have to be creative.
The manual method
The easiest and most irrational method. Why buy a washing machine for dacha, if you fill it manually?? Unless using an old machine that has been “retired”. Filling is done through the powder compartment. ingenious and simple. But keep in mind, if you act this way, you have to restart the program every time after filling:
- Pouring powder and loading laundry into the drum;
- turn on the desired program;
- several buckets are poured in;
- The washing machine freezes;
- restarting the program;
- the washing begins, the water is drained at the end of it;
- The washing machine hangs up again;
- Pour in several buckets again. for rinsing;
- start the program again. the laundry is rinsed, and at the end of the process. the drain;
- start the spin, after which the washing is finally finished.
It is clear that such washing is tiring and time-consuming. One has to stand near the machine to refill a bucket or two as needed.
Filling from tank
It is possible to connect the washing machine without a water supply if a large tank is used. It should be located at a height. on the second floor, if there is one, or in the attic. A long hose is pulled from the tank. It seems to be a simple method, but in fact it is complicated:
- There must be at least ten meters between the washing machine and the tank. You can’t build such a structure in a small house.
- If the pressure on the inlet valve is less than 1 bar, the washing machine will simply freeze. The tank has to be placed so high to provide the necessary pressure.
- The tank has to be filled first. It turns out that dachshunds have to carry buckets upstairs. One full-fledged wash requires 100-200 liters. That’s how much you have to lift up.
Given the physical procedures of filling the tank in the attic, this method would appeal to few. It is much easier to fill the tank of an ordinary activator machine.
There is another option, how to connect the washing machine to the water. to organize a mini-pump station. This connection of the washing machine in the country cottage requires an investment. What needs to be done:
- Drill a well. This is done in the warm season. when the ground is thawed.
- If the water is deep, it will take a long time to drill. The deeper the well, the more powerful mini-pump station.
- It is necessary that the liquid that comes upstairs is of high quality. complies with technical standards. If it will have a lot of metal salts and other impurities, it is not suitable for washing.
Remodeling a washing machine. automatic washing machine for working in a cottage without running water. Do not look for easy ways
Not every country house has a central water supply with constant water pressure, which complicates the use of washing machines. automatic machines, which require a head of water to work. There are many ways out: install a pumping station with hydroaccumulator or a tank with water at a high altitude to maintain water pressure, or pour buckets of water into the washing machine through the tray for the powder. Each method has its pros and cons, I want to offer my own version of modification. For it we will need:. A pump “Malysh”. radio components soldered out of various junk. A desire to get inside a washing machine and shudder there with a soldering iron.
Preface I live in a village, we have no central water supply. We get water from the well, which over time has silted up, and it has to stand in barrels. So you can’t use a pumping station that will pump water with sand into the washing machine. To set the tank to a height is quite difficult, you still need to defend the water in another container, from which it will have to fill it somehow, it is difficult to control the water level and if the water level is lowered, the pressure will be lower and will not be able to pass through the inlet valves of the machine. The only thing left was to pour buckets of clean water directly into the powder compartment. This is difficult, it is difficult to get from the bucket into the small tray and the water begins to flow over the body of the washer, probably falls into the body, contributing to the emergence of rust. In addition, the washing process loses automaticity, you have to stand by it at the ready, to catch the moment when the inlet valves begin to buzz and at that moment to pour water into it. And now came the era of self-isolation, I had some free time, and I decided to make the washing process fully automatic.
The problem: a barrel with clean water is on the ground, on one level with the washing machine. The water pressure is easy to create a cheap vibration pump such as “The Kid” in the barrel. But if the pump will run at a time when the washing machine valve is closed, the hose will be knocked out, and to hear when the valve is open and turn on / off the pump at the same time is also unreal. So, you need to make the pump works only when at least one valve of the washing machine is open.
Development of automatic switch on the pump So, there is a washing machine LG WD-80150NU. This is a conventional scheme of including valves: Inlet valve in a washing machine is essentially an electromagnet that opens the valve when the voltage is applied to it at 220v. The control signal from the washer processor via a transistor assembly goes to the triac, which opens and turns on the electromagnet. The seemingly obvious solution is to connect the pump in parallel with the solenoid valve. But since the power consumption of the inlet valve is only 30 W, the control triac is small, at 1 A. You can connect the drain pump from another washing machine also 30 W and use it for pumping water. But its power would be too low to draw water from a tank standing on the ground. You can use it as an auxiliary in that case, but the water tank must still be above the level of the washing machine. And if you connect the pump “Baby”, which consumes about 300 W, in parallel with the valve, the triac will smoke and fail, pulling also the transistor assembly, as I was convinced by trying to do it this way at first. I was not familiar with the circuitry of washing machines and somehow was convinced that the valves are activated by a relay.
The washer’s control board is lined with silicone on both sides plus the plastic on the road side and the SMD components. To get to the triac and the chip of the transistor assembly, I had to use the soldering iron to melt out windows in the plastic cover in which the board is fixed, and in addition to this I had to carefully pick at the silicone with a knife, taking care not to damage the tracks. I replaced the BCR8 triac by the SMD analog, that was taken from the non-working parts of the board of another washing machine. The same ULN2004 transistor matrix chip was found there. At the same time I soldered all the relays that are on the board (the washer periodically gave out errors and in some modes didn’t want to wash, on the Internet was such a possible solution to the problem) and put zaponlac on the bare places on the board. After that the machine worked as before. I was lucky that the circuit board with all the loose parts wasn’t damaged.
It became clear that I had to make something like a transistor switch to turn on the pump with a relay. It makes sense to remove the control signal from the CPU output and connect it to the base of the transistor. But the triac is controlled by short pulses, so this way will not work, because the key will be turned on by the same pulses. The idea arose to rectify the 220V voltage supplied to the valve and apply it to the optocoupler LED, which would open the key at the moment the LED is lit. Since there are two valves, you need to make the key be activated when the first valve works (for prewash), and when the second valve works (for the main wash), and when both valves work simultaneously (so that water passes through the compartment for conditioner during the rinse). I have sketched out such a scheme. When the washing starts and the alternating voltage is supplied to, for example, valve 1, it is rectified by diode bridge VD1-VD4, and through resistor R1 goes to the optocoupler LED DA1. Capacitor C1 smooths the pulsations of the LED. Opens the optocoupler transistor, and the supply voltage of 12 V through a resistor voltage divider R3R5 goes to the base of transistor VT1. The transistor opens, relay K1 and its contacts K1.1 switches on the pump pump pumping water into the drum. When the washer-dryer decides that there is enough water in the drum, it will turn off the valves, the optocoupler LED will turn off, the VT1 transistor will close, and a relay will turn off the pump. Similar circuit works when valve 2 is triggered, diode bridge VD5-VD8, optocoupler DA2 and divider R4R5 are used. When two valves are operated simultaneously, the transistors in both optocouplers are open, and a voltage divider is formed by resistors R3 and R4 connected in parallel and R5. The 12V key is taken from the circuit board of the washing machine. While doing the repair I found stabilizer 7812 on it and soldered to its outputs on the side of the tracks with two wires.
Automatic machine without water supply. do you need it??
In places where there is no central water supply, automatic washing machines are used quite rarely. People in the village mostly use old washing machines, in which the water is poured manually. If you want to enjoy all the blessings of modern civilization, you can’t put up with such a state of affairs. And there’s no need. You can connect the washer-dryer in a cottage or private home without running water, if you wish.
Of course, to implement this idea you will have to “sweat”. But the result of the work is worth it. The advantages of using automatic washing machines outside the city (for example, in the country) are many. Let’s highlight the main ones:
- You can use rainwater for washing. In terms of its indicators, it is several times softer than the well and tap water. Such water washes any thing with high quality and at the same time as gently as possible.
- If you have a well on a summer cottage site you will not have to pay a penny for water. Wash every day, using the gifts of nature absolutely free of charge.
- It is possible to send to a country house “in exile” an old, but still quite working automatic machine instead of which you have got a more modern model for the city apartment. The outdated unit will serve you well and faithfully in the countryside for many years to come.
As we can see, the washing machine makes washing in the cottage not only convenient, but also profitable.
And in the case of a non-heated attic space in the house, the possibility of using a basin is completely ruled out. In winter, the water in it simply freezes. You can also drill a well in the country and connect the washing machine to it. Seems like a good solution. You get a constant source of water, for which you do not have to pay. But the cost of constructing a well (call for specialists to drill, a geodetic survey to find the aquifer, install pipes, storage tank and a special pump) can be literally exorbitant.
If you often go to the cottage (or live in the city in a private home without running water), you can install a pumping station in your home. It will supply water to the washing machine at the required pressure.
High Efficiency Washing Machine Water Level Trick
True, the cost of such a station is quite high. Not everyone wants to bother with its arrangement because of the washing machine. For the careful owners who do not want to spend too much, there is one way to connect an automatic dishwasher in the country. Below we describe it.
Mounting the compact blower
To connect the washing machine is easiest by means of a small-sized and inexpensive pressure pump. A simple scheme is used in this case. It consists of three elements: water tank. pump. washing machine hose.
You need to buy the pump device itself (it costs no more than 1 thousand), adapters for it, two meters of cable (with two strands) and silicone-based sealant (you will use it to fix the adapters). Pump should preferably buy the same brand as your washing machine. In this case they will be fully compatible.
Important point! The pump device should be taken with a cover (complete). If you are offered only the impeller and motor, refuse such a purchase. Most modern washing machines have a 3/4″ threaded water hose. The pump does not have this type of connection. Therefore it is necessary to buy adapters for 3/4. The sealant can be purchased at any auto shop. Buy the silicone compound that you like.
Next, do everything according to the above scheme:
- Make a hole in the water tank, using an ordinary electric drill, and install the adapters in it.
- Be sure to treat the place of entry of the adapter with sealant. Such connection will take about 22-24 hours to dry.
- With coarse sandpaper grind on the purchased pump tubes, which are needed to connect the adapters. Lubricate the latter with sealant and put them on the tubes.
- Solder (or connect with terminals) the wire to the pump contacts. This area should be additionally protected with special tubes (they are called heat shrink tubes).
- Wait until the silicone glue dries and then connect the pump to the washer.
Now boldly start the washing machine (do not forget to fill the tank with water). When the machine needs water, you will need to connect the installed pump to a 220-volt outlet. There you go. Use your washing mate in the cottage, where there is no running water.
Now you don’t have to “guard” the washing machine. Start it up and go about your business. The pump will turn on by itself as needed, and then turn off. This system works simply. The inlet valve opens automatically when the machine needs water for washing.
The pumping device you installed also turns on at the same time. It generates the necessary water pressure. Once the desired volume of water has been drawn in, the water level indicator on the machine switches off the valve. The pump stops along with it. Congratulations. You’ve got a complete water machine at your fingertips, and it works in the house without running water.
About the existing connection options
The main condition in any variant. the organization of the water supply under certain head values. There are several solutions to get results:
- Adding water manually. Adding water goes through the detergent compartment added to the machine. But there is a significant disadvantage. the device stops every time the program ends. It is necessary to refill the water in order to continue the work. This process can be quite time-consuming.
- Installation of pumping stations, to which you can connect the washing machine in the cottage. Such solutions are associated with additional costs on money. And such costs are not always justified, especially if the cottage is used only in summer, and the connection requires only a washing machine. source of clean water is important, but such facilities are not always available.
- Creating pressure artificially. Results can be achieved by placing the water tank much higher compared to the washing machine. The 8-10 meter figure is considered optimal. It is quite possible to cope with the work in the presence of two floors and the attic. But the disadvantage is that the water is always delivered to the second floor.
- Imitation pumping station. A pump is installed between the water tank and the washing machine, which has small dimensions. The method does not require a financial investment, because many consider it the best way to connect a washing machine in the absence of water supply in the village.
Container for washing agents (manual way)
It is assumed that in this kind of work manually pour, drain water. Sometimes the choice is made in favor of semi-automatic machines. Accommodation will not cause much trouble due to the small size of the equipment. Low price, high repairability compensate for the lack of access to some other useful functions when connecting a washing machine without plumbing.
With the manual method of washing, the most serious disadvantage is the large amount of manual labor. The quality of the result often depends on heating, and to raise the temperature high enough it is not always possible. To remove the foam, a large amount of water is wasted for rinsing.
Feasibility of connecting the machine without running water
For the washing machine to cope with its purpose, it is necessary to provide:
- Access to the electrical network with a voltage of at least 220V;
- Connection to a water source, where the necessary pressure will be created;
- free drainage of the dirty water with the used solutions.
Electricity is available in all settlements, so there is never a problem with turning on the device. In extreme cases, use a diesel or gasoline generator. Water supply is organized with the help of special technical devices, creating the necessary pressure. And a cesspool or septic tank become a full-fledged alternative to sewage. Therefore, to create acceptable conditions for the work of any model of washing machine is realistic even in the village.
It is a paradox, but the use of appliances outside the city can be convenient and even profitable. If you take water from a well or borehole, the heating element does not form scale, and the laundry is washed with a small amount of powder. In addition, it does not have to pay for it, which significantly reduces costs.
Tips for connecting the washing machine (in the absence of plumbing)
Install a washing machine for dacha without plumbing is not difficult. Choosing the right location is important. It must be level, so that the unit will not vibrate during operation. If a water tank will be used, you need to provide space for it as well. On the outside of the body connect a drainage hose, the end of which is desirable to take to the pit for drains. It must be below the top of the drain hose, that is, you must provide a slope for spontaneous drainage of dirty water.
There are a lot of mini washing machines on the market for dacha. Choose them as carefully as a standard model. Since they differ in the set of programs and technical parameters.