Disassembly and Disconnection
When the water is drained out, you should partially disassemble the device and pull out the heating element. First remove the protective cover on the bottom of the boiler. It is attached to the screws, which should be unscrewed with a Phillips screwdriver. Some of the bolts may be covered with protective stickers. After unscrewing the screws, the cover will either come off easily, or you will need to pry it open to remove it from the latches. In boilers firm Gorenje lid mounted only on the latches, do not unscrew anything.
Next, disconnect the power wires and light bulbs.
It is important to remember the connection of wires. Usually the blue wire is the neutral, the yellow-green is ground (it is sometimes attached to the body itself), and the brown or black is the phase. On the device itself the letter “L” indicates the phase, the letter “N” zero. To reinsurance, you can draw a simple diagram or take a picture of the wires.
The thermostat is removed next. To do this you need to pull it down.
Care of water heaters of different manufacturers
All water heaters are arranged similarly, however, the manufacturers sometimes make adjustments in the design. Consider the peculiarities of disassembly of boilers of three popular brands:
- Ariston water heaters have a different flange attachment. To remove it, you push it inside the enclosure. Turn the flange clockwise in the tank and remove it from the outside. To clean an Ariston water heater it is not necessary to remove it from the wall. All the main nodes are located from below and can be easily removed.
- To clean the Baksi boiler from scale, first remove the thermostat. Do not fully unscrew the nuts on the flange to drain the remaining water. At the bottom of the tank will be a maximum of 2-3 liters of liquid. When the water drains off, unscrew all the nuts, and then gently remove the flange with a heating element.
- The Termex water heater is disassembled in the same way as the Ariston water heater. The device differs in the magnesium anode maintenance. Protector is replaced once a year.
Other brands of boilers complex design features do not differ.
Choosing the products
Cleaning the boiler, for example, Ariston, will be much more effective in the presence of special products. Visit a household cleaning supply store, you will surely find the product for cleaning. Just do not forget to find out whether this product is suitable for you, because some chemicals may not be suitable, for example, to the rubber seal, can spoil it.
As previously mentioned, a saturated solution of citric acid (sold in sachets) is a good cleaner. To use it, take half a kilogram of the substance and dissolve it in 2 liters of water (preheat it so that the acid dissolves completely).
Stages of work: how to clean the water heater
Clean the water heater, it is a necessary measure, which should be carried out at least in order to ensure that the device works properly, that is, the water did not overheat and reached the desired temperature in the minimum period of time. In addition, the corrected electric device energy costs are much lower, in contrast to its faulty sample.
In order to clean with their own hands successfully and at all started, you will need:
Before you clean an electric boiler, you need to unplug it and prepare a set of tools
How to remove limescale from a kettle with lemons (quick & easy)
Descaling is quite a meticulous process, so patience does not hurt. So, armed with everything you need, you can proceed to the dismantling of the water heater design. We will have to open the lid, breaking the seal (first it is necessary to drain the water, of course). Water should be drained by connecting a hose suitable in diameter to the drain hole. Particular attention should be paid to the heating element, it is thanks to him the water heater increases the temperature of the water. It is necessary to remove the heating element, inspect all parts for breakage and corrosion, and other troubles. Inspect the condition of the tank itself.
It is important to pay attention to the electronic part of the boiler, it is necessary that it is well sealed and does not leak water, otherwise, just destroy your water heater or worse, there may be a short circuit.
Almost every boiler is protected from corrosion by a magnetic anode. If you do the cleaning for the first time, you will have to be prepared for not the most pleasant experience in the inner world of the boiler. When you have taken out all the “insides” of the water heater, it may seem that cleaning it is quite easy, but you should not relax. First of all, this applies to chemical cleaners. For example, chemical agents can easily damage the part of the rubber layer responsible for the tightness of the vessel with water, so do not be afraid to use folk remedies.
Descaling the water heater and the THEN electrode
This article will help you remove limescale in the home from the tanks and heating elements of washing machines, water heaters, kettles and other appliances.
At the end of the article will be a small video instruction on cleaning electric tube heaters, where you can visually see the process. The process of descaling the tank is quite simple and straightforward, so it is simply described below.
Scale on the electrode of the heating element worsens the heat conductivity. Therefore heating to the maximum temperature becomes impossible. And the heating time becomes many times longer. Accordingly, it spends more electricity.
Draining the water takes place in a few basic steps:
- Closing the water supply valve in the apartment.
- The easiest way to drain the water from the water heater through the check valve. To do this, connect a hose to it, the other end pointing into the bathroom or toilet and open the valve. You can simply put a bucket underneath and pour out the water from time to time. The disadvantage of this method is a long time of draining. To drain 100 liters of water from the boiler through the valve, you may need up to 4 hours.
- You can remove water faster by unscrewing the water outlet pipe from the boiler and removing the valve. After that, connect a hose to the outlet of the heater and gradually unscrew the pipe from the inlet of the boiler. This way air can get into the tank and the water drains out in a few minutes.
Drainage of water can be hindered by limescale on the bottom of the tank. In this case you need to push it sideways by sticking a screwdriver into the hole from which the water pours.
How to remove limescale and rust
The owners of small boilers with a capacity of 10 to 50 liters can remove the device from the wall. This will facilitate its disassembly and further activities to clean the tank from scale and rust.
Before removing the boiler, it is necessary to disconnect it from the network, shut off the stop valve and drain the water from the water separator.
The owners of devices with a large volume, from 80 to 200 liters, it will be very problematic to do this. Therefore, it is better to clean such boilers without disassembly.
The cleaning technology is the same for flow-through water heaters of any volume. There are two ways to perform preventive maintenance:
There are many drawbacks and advantages of each of the above methods.
The mechanical method of cleaning requires disassembly of the device, with the risk of damaging the heating and control elements. The chemical method is simpler in nature, but less effective, and in addition, its results can be judged only by indirect signs. Performing a combined chemical cleaning followed by mechanical removal of dirt from the boiler gives the best results.
To carry out such work, it is necessary to disassemble the device to access the internal tank. To do this, you will need such a tool:
Before you begin dismantling the device, you must shut off the cold water supply and open the hot water flow tap. After all the water has flowed out, you can begin the process of dismantling the heater elements.
All work connected with the cleaning of the boiler, its removal and disassembly must be carried out with the previous disconnection of the power supply (complete disconnection of the power plug).
The most complicated variant is possible, when the hot water outlet is so clogged that it is impossible to drain the liquid. In this case, have a lot of patience and a pair of basins, one of which should be placed under the bottom of the boiler, and the second to keep at the ready.
Disassembly of boiler for mechanical cleaning
Disassemble the device in the following order:
- Remove the cover plate and the thermostat handle;
- Remove the screws to access the electrical panel;
- disconnect the power cable of the boiler and remove the connection terminals from the heating element and the thermostat;
- Carefully start unscrewing the flange with the thermostat and heating element. When water stops flowing, remove the flange completely.
In order not to confuse the electrical circuit of the appliance, photograph the internal connections with any camera.
Next, use a knife, chisel or other sharp object to clean the surface of the fuel element of scale. In doing this, try to work carefully so as not to damage the tube of the fuel element.
Remove limescale from the walls carefully with a plastic scraper, taking care not to scratch the surface of the internal tank.
After finishing the work, it is necessary to assemble the boiler in the reverse order.
When reassembling the unit, pay attention to the condition of the magnesium electrode. It may be so worn that it needs to be replaced. Usually the magnesium rod is replaced when its length decreases to 20 cm or less.
For the chemical cleaning of the tank’s inner surface it is necessary to remove the limescale that fell off the walls. Then the tank is filled with water with the addition of special chemical reagents. If your water supply system suffers from rust disease, use preparations containing orthophosphoric acid.
This is one of the few acids that reacts only with metal compounds. Good results are achieved by using AlphaPhos or Thermagent Active. If these products are not available to you, use Cillit ZN/I, Cillit FFW/TW, Aipacon and others. When purchasing, please be aware that formulations based on other acids are more aggressive toward the water heater itself.
Therefore, in the case of its long-term operation and heavy wear and tear, it is better to use reagents containing surfactants, such as Steeltex or Alumtex.
In the case of an increased hardness of water in your mains, it is better to use agents specifically designed for decalcification.
After soaking for a certain amount of time (usually indicated by the manufacturer of the product on the package), dirty water is drained and the boiler is washed with warm water and detergent.
In the case of large-volume tanks, chemical cleaning is difficult, because this method is associated with the dismantling of the device. However, there is a way in which you can pour the solution into the tank without disassembling the appliance, without removing the boiler from the wall. To carry out such an operation, proceed as follows
- shut off the cold water supply and disconnect its connection to the boiler’s cold tap;
- open any hot water tap and drain 2/3 of it from the tank;
- dissolve citric acid at the rate of 5 g per liter of tank capacity in 2 liters of hot water;
- connect a flexible hose to the cold water supply tap;
- Raising the edge of the hose above the water level in the boiler (at least half its height), using a watering can pour the solution into the hose;
- add 1l of water for the solution to pass completely through the tank;
- Remove the flexible hose and perform reverse connection of the device to the water supply line and open the liquid supply;
- After 5-6 hours, the cold water supply tap is closed, and the hot water tap is opened, draining the contaminated solution.
Peculiarities of disassembly-assembly of the water heater Termex, Ariston, Polaris FD, Gorenje, Hotlex
Boiler Ariston Boilers of different brands have their own peculiarities of assembly and disassembly. It is worth considering, so as not to accidentally break this or that element. Here are the peculiarities of disassembly-assembly of water heaters:
- Ariston. When disassembling a water heater of this brand, pay attention to the way of fastening and the shape of the flange. To remove it, push the flange toward you, turn it over while it is still inside and only then pull it out. The heating element in Ariston boilers is at the bottom, so it is not necessary to remove the device from the wall. This is convenient because you can disassemble the design without removing the tank. easy and fast.
- Gorenje. In boilers of this manufacturer it is difficult to remove the front panel. But this only appears to be the case at first glance. It is important to press the bottom edge of the panel and pull slightly towards yourself. The panel is easy to remove, as it is held in place by two latches. Also take into account that the device of this company is very heavy, so you can not remove it yourself, you need an assistant.
- Termex. Disassembling the boiler and cleaning the heating element of the device of this manufacturer is performed in the same way as for devices of other manufacturers. But the difference is that the magnesium anode quickly comes into disrepair. It needs to be replaced almost every year.
- Polaris FD. With disassembly of this device will have to tinker, since it is difficult to get the heating element out of it, if you do not know the nuances. When you disconnect the taps and the thermostat, you need to remove the heating element. Unscrew the retaining bracket and at an angle remove the heating element from the tank. If you pull the element in a straight line, it will not work, as if it is jammed inside. It is important to do it at an angle, taking your hand to the side.
- Hotlex. In this water heater, the heating element is easy to take out without any effort. The only thing is that the tank has to be removed from the wall, as it is not possible to do it on the weight.
It’s easy to clean the broiler yourself. Follow our instructions and you will be able to do it easily. Read below for tips on how to operate your heater tank to ensure your boiler lasts long and in good working order.
Cleaning the water tank
Although on the surface of the tank of the boiler is deposited much less scale than on the heater, this does not mean that it can not be cleaned.
First of all, there is slime that builds up over time. Secondly, if the water is hard enough, fouling will appear here as well. Scum can easily be removed with an ordinary stiff sponge. The main thing in no case use abrasives (soda, powders) and metal brushes. The slightest damage over time can lead to equipment failure.
Limescale can be removed in the same way as from the water heater’s heating element. with citric acid or vinegar essence. If you use the latter, it is enough to dilute it in the proportion of 2 teaspoons per liter of water. Pour the solution into the boiler tank and leave it overnight. After that, drain the contents and rinse the tank thoroughly with cold water.