Advantages and disadvantages of pipes
The decision to use sewage pipes for ventilation should be made taking into account their advantages and disadvantages. Advantages:
- Impervious to corrosion and preservation of its performance characteristics for a long time.
- Possibility to mount air exchange networks of any configuration and complexity.
- Smooth inner surface of plastic pipes does not create obstacles to air. Therefore, there is no need for periodic cleaning and you can use equipment with less power.
- Ease of installation due to low weight and connection technology. no need to use fasteners, screws.
- The technical characteristics of plastic chimneys are superior to their metal counterparts. When laying them hidden, the strength is not significant.
- The price of sewer pipes is 2-4 times lower than plastic ducts.
The disadvantages of plastic products for ventilation are the same as those of sewer pipes:
Plastic pipes for ventilation should not be used in areas where temperatures can rise to high levels. For example, PVC pipes deform and lose stiffness at 80 ° C.
A variety of types of pipes and fittings to them allows you to assemble a ventilation channel of any complexity
Pro and con arguments
Can sewer pipes be used for ventilation? This question is of interest to many private home owners. There is no definite answer to this question, although the discussion began in the early days of plastic elements on sale. Proponents of this idea give quite a sensible argument. the products can provide sufficient inflow or exhaust, installation is simple, there are all the necessary accessories and fasteners. The arguments of the opponents are more scanty. it is claimed that vinyl and other plastics emit toxic gases. The debate has been going on for decades, but the question of whether it is possible to make a vent out of sewer pipes?. never resolved. No principal arguments against this option have been found. The rejection of new ideas is often psychological. Many people simply can not allow alternative uses of plastic sewer pipes.
However, while experts break their spears, some owners of private homes have tried to assemble a ventilation of this type. It turned out that it is possible to use plastic pipes for sewage ventilation. All the more so when manufacturers guarantee that there are no harmful emissions from the material. If doubts about the quality of the material do not leave, you can choose a compromise. Only the extract from the sewage pipes is made, which removes not only the exhaust air, but also its own emissions. The inflow of fresh air is ensured due to looseness of enclosing constructions.
Disadvantages of PVC ventilation and sewer pipes
Ventilation plastic ducts have two disadvantages. low melting point and high cost. That is why the premises with high air temperature, these pipes are not recommended to install. PVC ducts lose their rigidity and shape at 80°C.
PVC sewer pipes also have disadvantages, despite the price difference with ventilation, ranging from 2 to 5 times, depending on the manufacturer and the region.
- Low fire resistance pipes also does not allow their use for arrangement of ventilation in areas with air temperatures above 60 ° C.
- They are not particularly durable. The manufacturer has tried to save as much as possible on the material, which gave a significant gain in weight and increased fragility of the product.
Polyethylene piping is devoid of these disadvantages due to the elasticity of the material. Although it is the elasticity of the material that makes the construction, assembled from polyethylene parts, not rigid enough. In the ground, special rigidity is not needed, but as a ventilation system, the rigidity of the structure is an important indicator. As a result, we obtain that the ventilation from the sewer pipes will have almost all the same disadvantages as plastic ducts.
Ventilation from plastic sewer pipes with their own hands
The ventilation system should be present in every dwelling, otherwise the owners will have to regularly eliminate fungus and mold, tolerate wetness and dustiness. The microclimate in the house can not be called optimal, and in conditions of high humidity quickly deteriorate furniture and finishes. If the budget does not allow to involve hired professionals, you can make ventilation from sewer pipes with their own hands.
Engineers do not have a consensus on whether the device is justified ventilation system using pipes. Some argue that this solution has more disadvantages than advantages. Others believe that the ventilation must meet the conditions of construction standards, in which case it can be made of any suitable material.
In fact, the homeowner should proceed from the realities. They are that sewer pipes are environmentally friendly, and systems created with their use, characterized by tightness, reliability and durability. Sewer pipes are made of such materials:
In all cases, the size range is wide enough to choose products with the right diameter. Products have a different configuration, and this is another plus: the homeowner has the opportunity to mount a ventilation of any complexity, including non-standard wiring.
Choosing pipes by cross-section, it is advisable to give preference to round or rectangular. They have thin walls, due to which the design is not too heavy, and the process of assembling it is greatly simplified. Products are connected to each other by means of socket joints. Tightness is ensured by rubber seals.
How To Make A Quality Vacuum Oil Extraction Chamber
Opponents of the use of such pipes argue that they can emit harmful substances. But this argument is easy to refute, because high-quality products are accompanied by certificates, which indicate that the products are not harmful to the environment.
The undoubted disadvantage is the formation of static electricity. Charge occurs due to air movement. Over time, because of this, dust settles on the internal walls. If you do not take measures, the system can clog. The solution. the use of antistatic. It is necessary to treat tubular products just before installation of ventilation.
Knowing what is the difference between natural ventilation and forced ventilation, the homeowner will understand what benefits provide the presence of the mounted system. Features of air circulation in the room:
- 1. The main ways through which air flows into the house are doors, vents and windows.
- 2. The movement of air is due to the difference in temperature and pressure inside the house and outside the house.
- 3. The air in the kitchen and bathroom is more humid than in living rooms.
To eliminate the negative phenomena caused by high humidity, homeowners resort to various tricks. To prevent or eliminate the formation of condensation on the pipes in the kitchen close to the ceiling, they are wrapped with thermal insulation material.
If there is no possibility to make ventilation in a separate room, a decorative grate is made in the door, through which the air will pass. Another option is to leave a gap between the threshold and the door leaf. 1 cm gap is enough to prevent dampness in the kitchen or bathroom. But this approach is acceptable only in extreme cases. It is better to find an opportunity to equip a vertical ventilation channel through which the humid air will go out. Outer side of the outlet is equipped with a filter. It will not allow atmospheric dampness and gassy air to penetrate into the room.
In a private home built of brick, concrete blocks or reinforced concrete panels, the base of the structure is made of brick, and the pipes are placed inside. For a house built from logs or other lightweight material, this option is not suitable, since the brickwork is quite massive. The optimal solution in this situation will be a ventilation system from pipe products designed for the installation of sewage.
Pipes made of plastic as a material for homemade ventilation system is preferable to other products for several reasons:
- the smooth surface of the walls;
- minimal financial and time expenditures for assembly;
- the ability to increase the height of the channel.
It is easy to convert natural ventilation into forced ventilation. It is sufficient to install equipment at the inlet, which will create an air draft. Such systems are of two types: local and centralized. To assemble a complete system that provides forced air movement, you will need the following equipment:
First the calculation of the construction is made. This is the most important stage, so it is better if it is handled by a specialist. The microclimate in the house depends on how well the capacity will be calculated, dimensioned and other characteristics of the chimney hood. Errors at this stage mean that the residents will have to suffer inconvenience in the future.
If possible, it is recommended to stock up on filter nozzles. They are needed to trap dust particles, smoke and other impurities in the air. But if the budget is not designed for such costs, you can do without a lot of filtering nozzles. In this case, install a network of pipes and equip it with a single hood.
The simplest device you can use to create air draft is a household fan. It is able to ensure the functioning of the system in a small private house. To use such a solution in a two-story cottage is inexpedient.
In addition to the main ducts make local ventilation ducts from sewer pipes. They are individual passages, where the air from each individual room enters the street. Advantages of the hood, assembled from plastic pipes:
- possibility to increase the intensity of circulation by using a more powerful fan;
- To control the temperature of the air entering the home.
The system has disadvantages. Electricity is needed for continuous operation. The structure made of pipes together with a fan takes up a certain amount of space. It can happen that the system fails due to a breakdown of the device that distributes the air.
There are regulations that prescribe all the nuances concerning the installation of ventilation systems and their functioning. The main parameter. capacity, which is expressed in cubic meters per hour. For example, a room with an area of 20 sq. m should be equipped with a ventilation system capable of “mixing” 3 cubic meters of air per hour. m of air per hour. In houses with a large square footage required capacity is calculated taking into account the number of people living. In this case the capacity should not be less than 30 cubic. m per hour on the basis of 1 person.
Calculation of air exchange in the kitchen and bathroom is done differently. The norm for the kitchen room, where a gas stove is used, is 140 cubic meters of air per hour, and if an electric hob is used, 110 cubic meters is enough. This is the norm in the case of a natural ventilation system, and for forced ventilation set higher values. Ventilation in a private house of sewage pipes fully meets these conditions, if its design and installation is carried out by a specialist.
Do it yourself sewer pipe video Inspection Camera
At the assembly of the channel should use pipes of the recommended diameter (you can do more, but not less). Standard diameters: 10, 15 and 20 mm. Similar values are prescribed for fittings. Their diameter can be 11, 16 or 20 cm.
Often there are difficulties with the docking of individual parts. Industry does not produce adapters through which you can connect the pipes to the ventilating equipment, but this does not prevent to assemble the installation, working on the principle of natural air exchange. Difficulties may arise when installing a forced system, but here too there are options. For example, you can find a specialist or a company that will make the necessary elements to order.
In addition to cheapness and ease of installation, pipe products have other advantages, due to which it is worth considering as a material for the assembly of the vent system. That’s why many private homeowners choose plastic (polypropylene, polyvinylchloride, etc) and PVC pipes.) pipes:
- 1. The inner walls do not impede the free movement of air flows.
- 2. The products are not exposed to corrosion, mold and mildew, and they are not affected by changes in temperature and humidity.
- 3. With some skill it is possible to assemble a rather complex venting system with several branches.
- 4. It is possible to join parts using the same type of elements.
- 5. The structure is light and durable.
- 6. Polypropylene, polyurethane and polyvinylchloride are not inferior in their characteristics to modern alloys, while they are devoid of their disadvantages.
- 7. The strength of pipe products is high enough, which makes it possible to lay components in a concealed way.
Dave Stanton woodworking. How to connect 4 inch PVC (sewer pipe) to 4 inch dust extraction pipe
In terms of cost, it is 3-4 times lower than when using plastic elements made specifically for the assembly of ventilation systems. Sewer pipes have disadvantages:
- a group of materials from which the products are made, has a high fragility, so when you hit or strong pressure may appear cracks;
- The melting point does not exceed 70 degrees, which makes it impossible to use sewer elements in areas where the air is heated above this mark.
In private homes should not be combined plastic elements of the ventilation system and sewer pipe products. Such a combination is not recommended due to the fact that there can be a reverse draft, and then spread around the house unpleasant smells.
The height of the exhaust pipe above the roof must be 1 meter or more. When several systems are connected into one, the diameters of the pipes must be the same along the entire length. Do not join products of different sizes, as this will complicate the transport of air flows. To ensure fire safety between the chimney and the ventilation system must be at least 2 m.
In combined and separate sanitary facilities the use of corrugated pipes is allowed. The duct lengths in these places are short, so the resistance of the waves to the moving air is not too great. In other rooms, the corrugated surface of corrugated pipes will act as a negative factor.
It is recommended to invite professionals to not only design the ventilation, but also to purchase pipes and equipment, as well as to make installation.
Material for pipes
Pipe elements for sewage devices differ in characteristics, depending on the manufacturing material.
Durable and strong material, resistant to UV rays and aggressive environments. smooth inner surface. The cost of PVC products is affordable, so for the installation of ventilation pipes from this material are used most often. Disadvantages include: low melting point (deformed at 70 degrees), brittleness in frost, release of toxic substances in combustion.
Pipes made of polypropylene have a maximally smooth inner surface, are resistant to aggressive environmental influences and chemicals, robust, available, and can withstand high temperatures (up to 120°C). With the same wall thickness, polypropylene elements are stiffer than those made of PVC.
The material is not resistant to high temperatures, as PVC. Deforms at 60°C, but withstands severe frosts. Polyethylene is chemically inert, environmentally friendly, has excellent noise insulation properties, its service life is about 100 years. Modern polyethylene pipes for sewage are connected by socket joints. Due to the flexibility of the material the pipeline can be installed with a bend.
Rules of installation
Before proceeding to the description of the procedure of construction of plastic ventilation systems, we would like to dwell on the rules of its implementation.
In addition to the fact that you must clearly follow the steps of installation, you must also adhere to the basic principles, and they are as follows:
- With the use of risers autonomous system will function better;
- The upper part of the ventilation pipe must be at least 1 m from the roof;
Pipes must be of equal diameter
Calculation of ventilation ducts
Removal of exhaust and contaminated air is a procedure to maintain optimal humidity in the rooms, to eliminate unpleasant odors, not allow critical excess of carbon dioxide levels. In order to ensure a constant outflow of harmful substances from the rooms, a system of pipes with different parameters on the cross section of the channels, their height and configuration is created. Extraction is provided for the kitchen, bathroom and basement. Traction is provided by the inflow of fresh air from the windows of living rooms, special holes in the walls or doors.
Ventilation in a private home of sewer pipes can be installed during construction or erected as a replacement for a worn or broken duct. To assemble the channel, products with round, rectangular or square cross-section are used. The size of the ventilation ducts should be chosen so as to ensure the quality of the outflow of harmful substances, even in adverse weather conditions.
When making the calculations, the following criteria must be adhered to:
- duct cross-section not less than 100 mm;
- the total length of horizontal sections not exceeding 300 cm;
- the number of right angles is not more than 2;
- access for duct cleaning;
- The ducting must be able to ventilate all living and service rooms.
If the bathroom and kitchen are located at a great distance from each other, then the ducts for them are made separate. Otherwise there will not be enough draught in one of the rooms.
Building regulations for ventilation systems
Ventilation with their own hands, no matter where it is arranged, must be made in accordance with the requirements of SNiP 2.08.01-89 as amended on April 30, 1993. 8-12, dated October 11, 1994. 8-21 and June 3, 1999. 2.
Exhaust system is assembled taking into account such regulations:
- Mandatory installation of a fan to provide forced evacuation of contaminated air. If possible, automation elements are added.
- Installation of a passing element through the roof to ensure its tightness. After the passage element is attached ventilation mushroom, which protects the channel from precipitation, debris and small animals.
- The height difference in the level of the air intakes from different consumers does not exceed 200 cm. Do not connect exhaust and heater pipes together in one duct.
- Elevation over the ridge of a pitched roof 50 cm or more, and over a flat roof of 150 cm.
- Distance to the chimney at least 200 cm. In colder climates, supply and exhaust air must be insulated to warm the intake air and prevent condensation.
To prevent grease deposits and dust from clogging the ducts, the inlets are equipped with a removable fine mesh screen. Its cleaning should be carried out at least once a month.
Disputes regarding the installation of ventilation from sewage pipes
It is clear that the ventilation must meet a number of construction standards and the requirements of the sanitary and epidemiological service. Experts have still not come to a consensus on whether it is possible to use sewage pipes for ventilation, and therefore continue to weigh all the advantages and disadvantages of these products.
In fact, the industrial version of plastic pipes (polyethylene, polypropylene, polyvinyl chloride, polyurethane) are all environmentally friendly products, which are distinguished by the special tightness of systems mounted from them, as well as increased strength. Due to the large number of shapes and sizes can pick up plastic products for the assembly of ventilation with any configuration, regardless of the complexity of wiring.
Usually, when developing ventilation in a private home from sewer pipes, the choice is made in favor of products with rectangular or circular cross section. They have quite thin walls, which reduces the overall weight of the construction and simplifies the process of installation work. The connection is made by means of butt joints at the ends of pipes, which are equipped with rubber seals for greater tightness.
Some environmentalists believe that such pipes are not allowed for installation of ventilation that supplies clean air into the premises.к. They can emit noxious substances. But manufacturers point out persistently in their certificates that the products are environmentally friendly and of the highest quality.
The disadvantage of using plastic pipes is that when the air is transported through them, a static charge is generated on the inner walls. This leads to an accumulation of tiny particles of dust and dirt and, as a consequence, a rapid clogging of the system.
However, this problem is solved quite simply, if we repeat the experience of manufacturers of plastic piping designed directly for the installation of ventilation, and treat the purchased sewer pipes with antistatic.
Requirements for the ventilation system and pipes for it
For a ventilation system in a private home applies universal requirements, which apply equally to any material from which to install all sections.
Thus, the ventilation of sewage plastic pipes should provide pumping the following volume of exhaust air:
- for a living room of up to 20 sq.m. meters. 3 cubic. meters / hour per person;
- Living rooms over 30 cubic meters. the volume of air not less than 30 cubic meters. meters. the volume of air of at least 30 cubic meters. meters/hour per person;
- For a kitchen with an electric stove. at least 100 cubic meters per hour. meters;
- for a room with a gas boiler or a water heater. 140 cubic meters. meters;
- In a bathroom and toilet the volume of air should be not less than 110 meters.
These parameters for calculating ventilation in a private home with plastic pipes are valid for natural air circulation.
In addition, when using plastic sewer pipes must be taken into account:
- durability of all elements;
- compatibility with fans and other elements of ventilation equipment;
- airtight connections;
- The use of elements of the appropriate diameter;
- the possibility of using the fasteners of the duct system;
- If necessary, installation of noise and thermal insulation;
- combination of ventilation elements with roof flashing to be installed on top of the roofing.