Independent connection of the hood to the ventilation in the kitchen
To connect the hood to the ventilation, you need to bend the hose at the outlet of the kitchen cabinets and insert the end into the ventilation shaft. Plastic pipe connectors can be used. To seal the joints treated with silicone. If fully sealed, the efficiency of the ventilation system will be 100%.
Connecting the hood to the ventilation in the kitchen is done with a plastic duct or aluminum corrugated.
When installing, take into account: the type of hood, ventilation features, electricity supply, the area of the room and the surface of the hob. For safety, current protection, grounding.
Consider the types and principles of operation
In an apartment building, a vertical shaft ventilation duct starts in the basement and goes out on the roof. In each apartment branch lines end with grilles.
There are three types of ventilation in buildings:
- The natural outflow of air due to pressure differences in the shafts.
- Forced draft on the fans for air intake and exhaust. In a self-contained system, the fan runs on the front of the building. Air inlets are installed. In a centralized network, air inlets and outlets in the house create draught 24 hours a day.
- Combined variants. Air is forced and naturally escapes through a sump. In the second option comes through the windows, exhausted with the help of exhaust fans.
How to Install a Built-in Hood
Hooking up the hood with your own hands disturbs the standard ventilation. The installation punch a hole, but the cross-section of the mine does not change. To improve air exchange put a poppet valve. It blocks the back draft when the hood works. When it is turned off, the valve opens.
Differences between the kitchen exhaust system and ventilation
Many users wonder what are the differences between the kitchen exhaust system and ventilation. Let’s try to understand.
Nowadays, sanitary standards stipulate the installation of appropriate units in different dwellings, which are able to provide quality air exchange of a particular multiplicity. To meet this requirement, structures with more than one storey have a ventilation system, which is an elaborate network of ducts in the walls that allow emissions to escape to the roof.
Ventilation ducts themselves are needed to send the exhaust air outside the living space. The intake of fresh air occurs naturally, passing through joints/slots in the areas of openings of windows and doors. However, it should be taken into account that this system is not able to eliminate various smells, cinders and other similar things that often appear when cooking in the kitchen.
In order to get rid of such troubles, install a special ventilation system, working in a forced manner. Otherwise such parts are called hoods. These devices work a little differently. They absorb the vapors that emanate from the cooking surfaces, and then with the help of a duct sends them directly into a special exhaust duct of the ventilation system.
Air ducts designed for the proper operation of the hood, there are different. They are made of different materials, which always affects their performance and final cost. Let’s consider in detail what varieties of such units exist, and according to what parameters they are divided.
All types of ducts are mainly divided into rigid and flexible types.
- Flexible type air ducts can be arranged at different angles. If required, they can be stretched or compressed (of course, within the limits of possibility). However, we must take into account that the poorly drawn air duct is characterized by a greater resistance to air flow. This is not the best effect on the efficiency of the system as a whole. In most cases such models are made of aluminum. The main disadvantage of such systems is that it is not recommended to make the corrugated box to them longer than 3 meters, as any extra centimeter in this situation would reduce productivity by about 5-10%.
- Rigid variants are easy to assemble and have an even surface on the inside. True, such models are more expensive, but their positive qualities justify their high price.
And also all the ducts are divided by their direct form. There are several options for such systems.
Let’s consider in detail, what are the ducts for the hoods.
- Rectangular and square. These types of ducts are recognized as one of the most popular and are encountered with enviable regularity. Many owners choose them precisely because of the shape, which allows you to place such appliances right behind the kitchen cabinets. Thanks to this feature it is possible to lay virtually any path from the exhaust equipment to the ventilation shaft. Rectangular units are great for kitchens of all heights. In addition, these models can boast of a good appearance.
But it is worth bearing in mind that rectangular duct units usually have poor performance, especially when compared to other options.
- Flat. These variants of ducts are one of the varieties of rectangular models. They have a very modest size and seem completely unnoticeable.
- Rounded. These varieties are more demanding. they can be installed only in rooms with high ceilings. This requirement is due to the large size of the equipment. If the outlet has a rectangular structure, you will need to additionally use rectangular adapters with the appropriate cross section to rounded models.
- Oval. These pieces have the same weaknesses and strengths as the rounded pieces.
Of the listed variants of ducts should be allocated flat rectangular models.
They are represented by products with the following parameters:
- 110×55 mm. such variants are required for hoods with a capacity of not more than 300 m3/h;
- 120×60 mm. suitable for equipping the hoods, the performance level of which does not go beyond 350 m3 / h;
- 204×60 mm. perfectly suited for operation in conjunction with high-capacity units. up to 1000 m3/h.
Ducts for exhaust systems are made of different materials. So, one of the most popular by right recognized plastic copies. As a rule, they are available with a rectangular or circular cross-section. Thus, the first are more aesthetic and neat, but the round systems boast a faster and easier installation (here you do not need adapters to attach the duct to the hood itself).
The main advantages of plastic structures are:
- smooth surface on the inside, which prevents the accumulation of grease and any dirt;
- Parts made of plastic will never be covered with rust;
- they have a very modest weight, so it is easier to install them;
- such structures are assembled quite simply;
- When the plastic duct works, it does not emit a strong and annoying noise;
- these elements are inexpensive.
The disadvantages of plastic systems are:
- in many cases, for their installation, various adapters and connection details are needed;
- These models “do not like” the impact of too high temperatures. in such conditions, ducts made of plastic can emit harmful substances.
The second most popular are air duct systems made of aluminum. The specified raw materials are used to create pipes of these structures.
The main advantages of such varieties are recognized:
- easy and quick installation;
- Aluminum is a universal and unpretentious material;
- Such structures seamlessly withstand the influence of high temperature values;
- these ducts are inexpensive.
As for the disadvantages of aluminum duct systems, we should highlight:
- not the most attractive appearance. as a rule, such equipment is “hidden” in special boxes or hidden inside kitchen cabinets;
- Aluminium itself cannot be called a high-strength material. it deforms easily and does not withstand considerable mechanical stress;
- Since this material is characterized by high thermal conductivity, it is not uncommon for condensation to accumulate in the room where aluminum air venting is installed.
But you can also find ducts made of steel. As a rule, for the manufacture of such structures is used stainless steel or galvanized. As for simple home use, galvanized versions have proven to be excellent here.
But it is worth noting that such models are no longer characterized by the former popularity. Every year steel ducts are becoming less popular.
The main advantages of such models are:
- A neat flat base, through which the velocity of the air flow does not become less, as well as in a smooth tube does not accumulate dust and carbon deposits;
- The steel duct seamlessly withstands high temperatures (under their influence, products not only do not deform, but also do not release hazardous substances into the environment);
- These models are inexpensive.
Of course, steel options have their own shortcomings, which make them not the most popular:
- such parts have more impressive weight (especially if you compare them with plastic), so it is not always easy and convenient to install them yourself;
- To fix it to the walls for steel models always need the most reliable fasteners;
- for quality sealing of ducts in such models will require special means;
- If you need to assemble a duct, which has an unusual structure, you may have to turn to additional cutting of pipes from metal;
- steel ducts produce loud noises when they are in operation, so you can forget about their quiet operation.
Determining duct diameter and design
It is very important to properly determine the diameter and design of the pipes. For this it is important to observe the following rules:
- It is desirable that the diameter of the duct is equal or larger than the diameter of the outlet from the kitchen hood and equal to the diameter of the ventilation outlet. If the duct has a smaller cross-section, the performance of the ventilation will be impaired. extra resistance to the flowing air is created. The noise level will increase, and the hood motor will have to work harder. All this will lead to a rapid failure of the equipment. There is no point in making the ductwork larger in diameter if the duct is narrowed in the area of the ventilation opening. Therefore, it is most effective to accurately measure all the elements and even before buying a kitchen hood;
- There must be as few bends as possible in the ductwork. If they are present, it is important that the angle is not greater than 90 degrees. because each such angle reduces performance by about ten percent. If there are bends in the installed system of more than ninety degrees, it can lead to reverse drafts. In this case, the use of special valves is mandatory;
- The duct length must not exceed three metres. Each meter is another 5-10% of the ventilation system efficiency.
Thus, the ideal performance is to use round plastic pipes for the installation of kitchen exhaust ducting.
Remember that installing a hood is not a substitute for a ventilation system. They must work together. That is why non-return valves are used to ensure that ventilation and exhaust systems work together efficiently. The grid of such a valve consists of a hole, to which the path is connected and special slots.
- it is desirable that the diameter of the duct is equal or greater than the diameter of the outlet from the kitchen hood. If the pipe will have a smaller cross-sectional area, it will worsen the performance of ventilation. It creates resistance to the flow of air;. The aluminum itself is not high enough to withstand the corrosive environment. This will increase the noise level and the hood motor will have to work harder. All this will lead to a rapid failure of the equipment. There is no point in making a larger diameter duct if there is a narrowing of the duct in the area of the vent. Therefore, it is best to accurately measure all the elements and before buying a kitchen hood;
- There should be as few bends as possible along the entire duct. If they are present, it is important that the angle is not more than 90 degrees. Because each such angle reduces performance by about ten percent. If there are bends in the installed system of more than ninety degrees, it can lead to reverse draught. In this case the use of special valves is mandatory;
- The length of the air duct must not exceed three metres. Every meter is another 5-10% of the ventilation system’s efficiency.
Remember that installing an extractor fan does not replace a ventilation system. They must work together. This is the reason for the use of check valves, which ensure the effective cooperation of ventilation and exhaust systems. The grille of such a valve consists of a hole, to which the duct is connected and special slots.
The importance of ducting for the kitchen
For the scrupulous housewife, this issue is no less important than the efficiency of ventilation.
There are several ways to hide the ductwork:
- The easiest way is to locate the pipes behind, inside or above the cabinets. This method does not require additional costs.
- If there are two levels of the ceiling, the duct can be placed between them. If there is a false ceiling in the kitchen the ducting can be installed directly above it. In this case, the air duct will not be visible at all.
- A special rectangular box can be used to mask the pipes. If you experiment with the color of this element of the interior, install pendant lights, then your kitchen will be transformed. And you can quickly access the pipes in case repairs are needed.
- Another option is to simply paint the pipes to match the overall design of the room. You can use modern materials and seamlessly blend the air duct into your kitchen.
It is best to buy pipes, hoods and adapters at the same time, but it is better to buy a ready-made set. Manufacturers offer a wide choice of such options. This saves you the trouble of deciding on a color scheme and your time.
- The easiest way is to place the pipes behind, inside or above the cabinets. This method does not require additional costs.
- If you have a ceiling with two levels, the duct can be placed between them. If the kitchen has a suspended ceiling, the ductwork can be placed directly above it. The air duct is then completely invisible.
- A special rectangular box can be used to disguise pipes. If you experiment with the color of this element of the interior, install pendant lights, then your kitchen will be transformed. At the same time there is the possibility of quick access to the pipes in case repairs are needed.
- Another option is to simply paint the pipes in a tone that matches the overall design of the room. You can take advantage of modern materials and seamlessly integrate the air duct into your kitchen.
The hood in the kitchen is a useful element
Today it is difficult to imagine a modern kitchen that would not have trivial appliances necessary for cooking: refrigerator, stove, microwave oven This basic set should be at everyone. Similarly, there should be no doubt about the hoods, or to be precise, the exhaust umbrellas. Thanks to these uncomplicated designs it is possible to get rid of excessive moisture or combustion products.
What elements are necessary for the installation of the hood
A relic of the Soviet system is to equip the apartment with a single ventilation duct. In fairness it is necessary to note that with the work of the hood, the polluted air is perfectly removed from the kitchen.
A similar situation occurs with the disruption of the natural system of air circulation in the home, which immediately leads to its stagnation.
Plastic air ducts are technically far superior to their metal counterparts, which leads to the gradual rejection of the latter, and entirely:
- Air ducts for kitchen hoods made of plastic are perfectly machinable. The surface is kept smooth on the inside. Metal ducts in a similar situation becomes rough, and it is already minus for their further functioning. With increasing static resistance, the progression of air in the metal structure reduces the number of masses at the outlet.
- Considering that they are chemical alloys, the plastic variety of ducts has antiseptic components, which can reduce the dustiness of the surface. As a result, cleaning is simplified. What is not an economy of maintenance?
- Plastic can be sanded and cut (compared with metal). Consequently, it is much easier to fit the plastic version to the necessary format, while with the metal one you will definitely have to poke around.
How to properly install the hood
Plastic ventilation ducts are environmentally friendly due to the clean materials from which they are made. This allows us to speak about the confidence in their safety and reliability. Plastic is more hygienic than metal, due to its corrosion-resistant and antiseptic surface.
The current technical features can well be called basic, as they are original from the moment of creation, and in any way it will not be possible to change it. The choice will depend entirely on the buyer.
Pros and cons
Plastic island hoods are quite convenient in terms of formatting. They are available in round and rectangular shapes. Additionally they are purchased with L-shaped adapters. To complete the work of the entire system will help sealant.
- Noise isolation ;
- Density of attachment. So that dirt is not clogged in the gaps;
- Low resistance ;
- Lightweight. Which makes it easier to transport them.
Despite this, it is not without disadvantages. In this case, a rather serious disadvantage is the low level of fire resistance. This affects the choice of room for installation, as you will have to be careful with the rules of fire safety in some cases.
You can not do without a duct in an island kitchen
How to Make A Metal Rigid Duct for Range Vent or Furnace
Plastic ducts do not tolerate high temperatures, so their operation in areas prone to fire is not allowed. Thus, the plastic version is not recommended for industrial enterprises, so as not to take the risk of expensive equipment. or even the lives of employees, it is better, of course, to resort to metal ducts.
How to correctly calculate the dimensions of kitchen fronts read here.
However, for home use, say in the kitchen, the plastic version is clearly more practical and is not inferior in reliability. Therefore, this is a fairly reasonable solution for ventilation in the house.
The main parameters of the corrugated pipe for ventilation, which should be paid attention to
Going to choose corrugated ducts for ventilation, you need to consider two main parameters: diameter and length. The first figure is determined by the outlet on the hood, and for the output of the pipe in the general ventilation can use a special grid with an adapter. Improperly sized ducting will increase the load on the hood, reduce efficiency and increase noise levels. Manufacturers offer 4 basic sizes of ducting for the hood with a diameter. 100, 120, 125 and 150 mm. There are corrugated pipes and other diameters, but the most used. 100 and 120 mm.
Chimney 120 mm for the hood. the most popular diameter
With regard to the length of the corrugated pipe for ventilation, then mostly produced by the air duct 1 and 3 m. To choose the right duct, you must measure the distance from the hood to the ventilation, taking into account all angles and planned turns. To the obtained value should be added 10-15% and the required length of the pipe will come out.
Standard lengths of corrugated. 1 and 3 m
Variety of corrugated pipes for extraction by material
Modern manufacturers offer corrugated pipes for ventilation in a variety of materials: aluminum, steel, PVC, etc.п. Each of them has its own advantages and disadvantages. Consider them in detail.
Steel and aluminum corrugated pipe
Aluminum corrugated duct is the most common type of air duct, which can be used in the ventilation system. Such a product has many advantages:
- Corrosion resistance;
- withstands a wide range of temperatures;
- moisture- and air-tightness;
- low weight;
- No grounding of the structure is required;
- convenience and ease of installation.
Steel strip pipes, unlike aluminum corrugations for ventilation, can withstand quite a strong air flow and high temperatures. However, they are characterized by considerable weight and more complicated installation.
The disadvantage of steel and aluminum corrugated ducts is that if a fan of high power is installed, there is a strong noise and increased vibration. Also, corrugated aluminum are susceptible to mechanical damage, so they must be handled very carefully.
Plastic chamfer for ventilation
Very often for the connection of a kitchen hood with the ventilation of the premises, corrugated pipes of the spiral-shaped PVC are used. This is due to the fact that such corrugations are different:
Rectangular PVC pipe for exhaust
However, before you buy plastic corrugated pipe for the hood, you should be aware of its disadvantages, namely, fire hazard, toxic emissions during combustion, low strength, low tolerance of low temperatures.
There are other varieties of corrugated pipes for ventilation, which are used less frequently due to objective reasons. So, for example, corrugated with thermal insulation is used to protect ducts with high operating temperature. As a rule, such designs are mounted on the outside of the building, which can significantly reduce the formation of condensation inside the pipe.
Corrugated pipe with a polyester film is a metal wire frame wrapped with several film layers. The design is obtained easily and can be used for work with low pressure and temperature. The disadvantage is that the thin film walls of the corrugation are easy to damage, so it is better to use it for concealed installation
Pipe with metal frame and polyester film
Installation features of the kitchen hood
How the hood will be installed depends largely on its design:
- If your model operates in two modes. circulation and extraction, you must take the ductwork into the ventilation. Carefully calculate the diameter of the duct (standard. 120-150 mm). The ducting is not reduced in diameter, bent or stretched. Otherwise the cooker hood can only operate at a reduced power level. Mount the duct in the form of a square or circle, the main thing is to choose a smooth material so as not to increase the noise of the working hood.
- When the appliance with charcoal filter works only in circulation mode, there is no need to make an outlet in the ventilation duct. The model works as follows, the air goes into the hood, is filtered and returns to the kitchen. Correctly install such a hood is not difficult, you need to be careful and follow the instructions. But don’t forget that such appliances have less power.
The installation process also depends on the recessed or mounted in your hood. The built-in hood is installed not on the wall, but mounted inside a furniture cabinet.
Popular Hood Installation Mistakes
We have told you how to properly install a kitchen hood.
Now let’s break down the mistakes that users often make when deciding to act on their own:
- Connecting the ductwork blindly to natural ventilation. Some owners though put a grid, but after all completely cover it with a duct.
- For a powerful hood use a small diameter corrugated pipe or pipe that does not match the socket.
- Installing the hood in the kitchen above the stove without taking the height into account. What can cause a fire?
- Ducting to the outside through a hole in the house wall. What’s not allowed in apartments.
- Long ducting with lots of bends. This affects both the operation of the device and the noise level.
- Installation of a powerful hood (800 m3/h and above) with connection to conventional ventilation, which is capable of 300 m3/h.
- Joining the parts of the duct with glue. After such a channel can not be dismantled.
- Lack of an outlet near the hood. And then you have to resort to tees and other. ways to connect the appliance to the network, which looks ugly, inconvenient to use.
- Mistakes in installing a non-return valve. Need to consider angles and slopes to keep the valve running smoothly.
- Incorrect positioning of the slots at the grille. Sometimes you want them at the bottom and not at the top.
Creator and editor-in-chief of the Techno Paradise website. Appliance and electronics expert. Have numerous experiences as a copywriter and proofreader, as well as in the design of articles on other sites.
10 ways to clean the hood from grease and dirt: effective and simple recipes
Top 15 best recessed hoods: Rating 2022 and which 60 cm model to choose for the kitchen
Grounding and GND
Before I tell you how to make a kitchen hood, it’s worth mentioning electrical safety. Because the inside of the housing gets a lot of splashing grease and accumulates moisture, the risk of electric shock increases if the hood is not properly connected to the mains.
Therefore, the kitchen hood, installed with your own hands, must be connected to the network with three wires: phase, ground and zero. The ground wire is standardly yellow with a green stripe. Before installing the hood, make sure it is properly grounded so that it can be used safely.
If the house has a grounding circuit and Euro-type outlets are installed, there will be no problem: when connected, the wire is connected to the ground terminal, which is indicated by stripes of different lengths or the word Ground (GND). If the technique does not provide a connector for grounding, it can be made by yourself, screwing the wire to the metal part of the case.Euro-socket with a connected ground in found only in new apartments But many people can not find a euro-socket at itself, and will wonder: how to connect the hood in the kitchen, if there is no grounding? In this case, grounding can be done with your own hands, but in any case do not connect the neutral wire to the pipes and radiators. You have to connect it to the dead neutral.
To do this, open the electrical panel with counters and find there a bricked-up pipe in the wall, where the wires come from (be careful, the wires under voltage of 220V!), or a special busbar, as shown in the photo. Most likely, you’ll find a ready-made pin on it and the neutral wires are already thrown on. This is the deaf neutral, the pipe is perfectly grounded. It is necessary to lead from it to the kitchen multicore wire cross section of at least 2.5 mm2, and the hood connect through the circuit breaker for 6.3А.Zero conductor on the switchboard in the entrance hall
Pay attention to! If there are wires already connected to the neutral conductor, do not disconnect them under any circumstances! There’s an electrical shock hazard. Throw your wire over someone else’s and tighten the nut
If there are no wires and the pipe is smooth, strip it and secure the wire contact with a clamp. If you are not versed in this matter, it is best to contact a professional electrician.
Installing a recessed hood in the cabinet
The recessed hood is almost completely hidden in the cabinet made for it. Fasten it the same way as described above. on screws, only they are screwed into the walls. Only beforehand in the shelves above, you need to make holes for the duct. This is done after the hood is purchased, since the location of the outlet for air depends on the company and model.
If the cabinet hangs, it is better to remove it. In the removed cabinet, install the hood in place, mark the location of the air outlet on the bottom shelf, cut it. It is easier to use an electric jigsaw and a fine-toothed saw. Almost does not leave any chips a saw for laminate. If desired, you can seal the place of the cut with a plastic C-shaped furniture profile. They are hard and flexible. Flexible to use simply. it bends at any angle, rigid before installation will have to warm up a construction hair dryer. These profiles are “set” on the glue, most often “liquid nails” are used. After installation in place, remove the remains of adhesive (with a damp clean cloth), fix a masking tape to the shelf. Surplus of a profile we saw off with a saw with small tooth, we finish off a cut with an emery paper with small grit.
The process of preparing the locker to install the hood
We make the holes in the other shelves in the same way. By the way, they can be rectangular, not round. it depends on the cross section of your chosen duct.
After that, all the shelves are put in place, the cabinet is hinged and fastened. The built-in hood is fastened to it with screws through the holes in the housing. The following is the process of connecting the duct.
Air duct installation
There are two main categories of ducting for exhaust units.
- Aluminum corrugated. They are well bendable, stretchable and can be adjusted to any size. This version of the duct does not create noise and vibration, but from an aesthetic point of view it can not be called beautiful. Usually it is hidden in a cabinet, box or inside a false ceiling.
- Ducts made of PVC or plastic. This material does not weigh much and is considered quite strong. Due to the presence of a smooth coating, air flows during movement do not form any noise.
Before installing a duct in the kitchen, make sure that the only standard air vent in the room is not covered with the pipe. If it is only one, then often the other outlet from the sump is also punctured and a check valve is mounted, which will shut off the flow when the device is activated. You can also use a special box with a valve type “clapper”.
Now proceed directly to the installation of the duct. First you need to slip the corrugation into the holes made, and in the upper wall of the cabinet, you need to give it the necessary, usually a square shape. Now you need to cut the corrugation with a small margin, as well as make cuts in the corners to bend them outward.
It is necessary to hang the cabinet with a corrugated tube on the wall. Before this, do not forget to treat all the duct joints with silicone-based sealant. This is necessary so that the construction was airtight and there was no loss of power. The next step is to fix the homemade box on the cabinet, which will connect the corrugated material to the ventilation shaft. It will not be superfluous to put it on silicone.
If the gaps are too big, it is better not to try to seal them with silicone. Then you need to use assembly foam.
Now fasten the hood into the cabinet. It is better to screw it on self-tapping screws or dowels. The second variant will be relevant if the fastening is intended for the wall.
Fasten the bracket to the extractor and fix it with a clamp. It is not necessary to lubricate the joint with sealing compound.
If the exhaust unit is connected directly to the ventilation system, it is sufficient to make a direct connection of the duct to the ventilation shaft. To carry out their convenient docking, you can use a special grid in which there is a round hole.
If we are talking about installing PVC ducts, the installation will be similar: just connect the pipes to the component corners and lead them to the ventilation.
When installing the ventilation should be as much as possible to reduce the number of pipe bends. This allows you to save a good air draft in the pipe. Each tube twist reduces draft power by about ten percent.
Useful tips and common mistakes
Corrugated will be a more interesting and effective material to create a ventilation duct for a number of reasons. For example, it does a better job than plastic pipes. Its installation will cost significantly less than that of other materials. It also does not have any loss of efficiency, which cannot be said about the plastic duct pipes. During installation, it can be stretched quite a bit, which will significantly reduce the noise level during the operation of the system.
Another useful tip. cleaning plastic pipes and corrugations should be made at least a couple of times a year, so as not to allow them to clog some specific accumulation and waste.
You should also feel free to consult a specialist in exhaust systems if you want to do your own installation. It will be good if you have an assistant, who has already encountered some problems in creating a ventilation system. then you will have someone to discuss this or that problem.
Hoods are usually equipped with special odor neutralizers, which can be:
Chemical solutions require constant replacement because their active element gets caught in a greasy film. This option can also be dangerous for human health. Electro-ionization solutions work the same as a regular air ionizer. This option has a disadvantage, as it will be located close to the person who is at the stove. this compromises safety.
Ultraviolet solutions require periodic cleaning of bulbs from cinders and grease buildup. The lamps need to be replaced every couple of years. But this option will be perfectly safe and harmless, as ultraviolet radiation here is at a very low level.
By the way, using such a solution can solve the problem of illumination of the stove or cooktop, because in addition to the aforementioned radiation, the lamps emit a subtle bluish or white color.
You should also remember that each stage of installation is important and its role is difficult to overestimate the fact that it is worth making the slightest mistake or deviation in the horizontal installation of the hood, and this is almost 100% of cases in the future to cause problems that at first seem imperceptible. For example, if you have applied a small amount of sealant or left gaps that are not visible. This will definitely affect the entire mechanism.
The most common mistakes made by builders are the following.
- A pipe is bricked up in the vent hole and the exhaust unit is directly connected to it with a check valve of the return type. If the hood does not function, it becomes impossible to ventilate the room because the valve simply shuts off the pipe when the fan is inactive.
- When installing often use a pipe with a diameter of 100 millimeters. This is not enough. It is necessary to use a pipe of 125 mm diameter for ventilation. A chimney with a given diameter removes up to 350 cubic meters of polluted air masses in one hour.
In general, these two errors are relatively easy to eliminate. just expand the entrance to the vent, as well as to carry out installation of special grilles for the exhaust mechanism.
The process of installing the hood in the kitchen involves certain difficulties, which can not always be eliminated by a person who does not have certain knowledge. That’s why it will not be superfluous when installing a kitchen hood yourself to attract a specialist or at least consult with him.
How to hide the air duct in the kitchen
For the scrupulous housewife, this issue is no less important than the effectiveness of ventilation.
Plastic air ducts are technically far superior to their metal counterparts, which affects the gradual abandonment of the latter, and entirely :
- Air ducts for kitchen hoods made of plastic are perfectly machinable. The surface is kept smooth from the inside out. Metal ducts in a similar situation becomes rough, and that is a disadvantage for their further functioning. As the static resistance increases, the progression of air in the metal structure reduces the amount of mass at the outlet.
- Considering that it is chemical alloys, the plastic variety of ducts has antiseptic components, which can reduce the dustiness of the surface. As a result, cleaning is easier. What not to save on maintenance?
- Plastic lends itself to grinding and slicing (compared to metal). Consequently, it is much easier to adjust the plastic version to the necessary format, while you will definitely have to fiddle with the metal one.
Plastic ventilation ducts are environmentally friendly due to the clean materials from which they are made. This allows us to speak about their safety and reliability. Plastic is more hygienic than metal, due to its anti-corrosive and antiseptic surface.
The current technical features may well be called basic, as they have been in place since their inception and cannot be changed in any way. The choice depends entirely on the customer.
Pros and cons
Plastic island hoods are quite convenient in terms of formatting. They are available in round and rectangular. Additionally they are supplied with L-shaped adapters. To complete the entire system, a sealant will help.
- Noise isolation ;
- Density of attachment. to keep dirt out of the gaps;
- Low resistance ;
- Lightweight. which makes them easier to transport.
Despite this, it is not without disadvantages. In this case, a rather serious disadvantage is the low level of fire resistance. This affects the choice of room for installation, as you will have to be careful with the rules of fire safety in some cases.
An island kitchen is not without a duct
Plastic ducts cannot withstand high temperatures, so they must not be used in rooms where there is a risk of fire. Thus, the plastic version is not recommended for industrial applications so as not to take risks with expensive equipment. or even the lives of employees, it is certainly better to resort to metal ducting.
How to properly calculate the dimensions of kitchen fronts read here.
However, for home use, say in the kitchen, the plastic version is clearly more practical and not inferior in reliability. So it’s a pretty smart solution to ventilate your home.
Plastic ducts fit more organically into the design of the room than metal ones. But even they can spoil the look of the kitchen, so most owners prefer to hide this element. There are a number of ways to conceal it.
- The duct pipes are hidden under multilevel, suspended or stretch ceilings. For this purpose, a special box is made of gypsum board, which hides almost the entire system. But this method is suitable only if you are planning a major repair in the kitchen with the replacement of the ceiling. If the hood is installed after finishing, it can hardly be hidden under the ceiling covering.
- You can buy or make a special PVC or gypsum plasterboard box to disguise the pipe ducting. The decorative element can easily be matched or matched to the type of finish. It is also possible to cut additional lights into the box.
- If you will purchase custom-made furniture for the kitchen, you can place the hood in it. To do this, it is enough to inform the furniture installer of your desire. The air duct can be permanently built into the kitchen cabinets or made in a retractable version.
- Finally you can simply paint the ducting. If you show your imagination, you can get quite an original decoration for the kitchen.
To ensure that all elements of the kitchen ventilation were the same color, it is recommended to buy ready-made kits. Some manufacturers sell their products according to the scheme: extractor hood, ductwork, add-on unit = effective ventilation in the kitchen.
Particular attention should be paid to the quality of materials. Please note that extractor hoods made of low-quality raw materials or with violations of the production technology will not last more than 5 years. At the same time, PVC products from proven manufacturers are designed for at least 30 years of service.
Step by step instructions for installing a plastic duct for the hood. in the video below. Questions on the choice and installation ask in the Комментарии и мнения владельцев.
Little tricks: camouflaging the ducting
No matter what kind of duct you choose, it will not decorate your kitchen interior: there is something official in this detail. Therefore, it is better to hide the assembled structure:
- To the false ceiling, if there is one in the kitchen. The vertical duct can be covered with the same material as the ceiling. To do this you just need to build a frame of metal profiles around the tube and attach to it sheet cladding with self-tapping screws (with decorative heads). The frame itself is attached to the wall;
- into a decorative box. Many modifications of such boxes are available. They differ in shape, material, color. You can buy a box with spotlights built into it;
- You can immediately buy a built-in hood, then the ducting will be placed inside the cabinet or laid on its “roof”;
- You can make a decorative box from gypsum board of any configuration and insert the lights in it. This way you can create an exclusive element of the interior.
Correct and incorrect location of the air duct
The problem of masking can be solved more easily: you can paint the pipe to match the kitchen interior or wallpaper it.
- Behind a suspended ceiling, if there is one in the kitchen. The vertical part of the duct can be covered with the same material as the ceiling. To do this, we simply need to construct a metal profile frame around the duct and attach cladding plates to it using self-tapping screws (with decorative screw heads). The frame itself is attached to the wall;
- into a decorative box. There are many modifications of such boxes. They differ in shape, material, color. You can buy a box with spotlights built into it;
- You can buy a built-in hood, in which case the duct will be placed inside the cabinet or laid on its “roof”;
- You can make yourself a decorative box from gypsum board of any shape and insert the lighting fixtures. In this way you can create an exclusive element of the interior.
Correct and incorrectly positioned ducts
Air ducting for kitchen hoods
The range of ducts used for kitchen exhaust systems varies greatly from one another in three ways:
The types of plastic used for kitchen hoods can be either flexible (corrugated) or made of smooth and rigid plastic.
Hood pipes are made of several types of plastic:
To make the connection to the hood, the first three types of plastic listed above are used: they are resistant to high temperatures and have a decent stiffness.
Ducts, in turn, have two types of cross-section:
Rectangular plastic duct has a more compact size, it is not difficult to camouflage under a suspended ceiling, and it is more convenient to install.
The round shape of the ducts promotes better air flow, and has a low noise level.
Duct sizes for hoods
Do not forget that when buying PVC ducting, you should also buy adapters. They are needed to connect the plastic tube to the hood. In addition, they are used for duct bends and the possibility of attaching to the general ventilation system of the whole house. So, if you decide to use a corrugator, you can save on unnecessary adapters.
You should know! The length of a PVC pipe should not exceed three meters. Otherwise, the level of performance of the extraction system will decrease with each additional meter of its length. Each bend fragment also badly affects the performance of the hood, so you should try to avoid ninety-degree angles. You can do not more than three bends and points.
The diameter of the plastic pipe should be chosen strictly according to the cross section of the ventilation hole:
- Dimensional range of rectangular and square PVC ducts have standard sizes. The most common sizes: 110 X 55, 120 X 60 and 204 X 60 mm;
- round plastic pipes dimensions: from 110 mm to 150 mm. (diameter).
How to fix the corrugation to the hood and ventilation
If you intend to mount the extractor hood with aluminium corrugated hose, you must solve the problem of how to fix it to the casing and to the ventilation. For this purpose, you need to buy a clamp of the right size (they come in metal and plastic).
In addition to the clamp, you will need a special ventilation grille that has a hole at the top to connect the pipe duct. At the bottom, it has a hole to remove “dirty” air from the kitchen by means of natural circulation for as long as the exhaust system is not in operation.
Please note! To fix the duct, you must use a grille with a protrusion: in this case, the hole is surrounded by a small rim. It is on it and put the corrugation, and then it is fixed with a clamp of the right size. Use the same method of attaching the duct to the hood: also with the plugs.
How to fix the duct to the walls
Plastic ducts have special fasteners in the form of a latch. First you fix them into the wall with plugs. Usually you need only one fixing for a distance of up to 60 cm. It is in these latches during installation, with a little effort, and the pipes are inserted.
When you want to fix the duct to the ceiling, use exactly the same fasteners. If you must maintain some distance from the ceiling, this kind of mounting is not suitable. Then you will need to take peorized hangers (plasterboard), fasten them to the ceiling and then fasten the PVC duct to them with small screws.
Corrugated ducting should be attached to the wall with a clamp, or plastic tighteners.
Where and how to bring the duct
As a rule, the exhaust system from the hood is carried out in the ventilation hole (that is where the natural process of general ventilation takes place, and there is a draft).
This is not a wise approach because a considerable part of the grille is closed by the duct and the air mass cannot get through the small hole left.
You should be aware of! Installing the hood in the kitchen requires the connection of the duct in a separate duct dedicated to it.
- If there is a separate duct, the hole must be fitted with a grille exactly as in the photo:
- When installing the hood in the kitchen by your own efforts, if there is no separate channel, but there is an outside wall, you will have the opportunity to make the output pipe on the street side, putting the grate outside.
These are the two main methods of installing a well-functioning ventilation, with a long service life.
How to vent to the outside
First of all, in order to make the duct outlet into the wall, you must make a hole in the wall. It is the production of the hole that is the main difficulty of this work.
When the hole is ready, it is necessary to insert the “body” of the duct into it, and close the remaining gaps with mortar. From the outside the hole must be closed with a grid (to prevent dirt, unnecessary objects, birds, etc. from getting into it).д.).
To prevent outside air from blowing into the apartment, it is necessary to put a check valve system. in the figure below, we have marked it with a beveled line:
If to look closely at the picture one can notice that the non-return valve is a light plate made of plastic or metal. It is fixed at two points to the pipe (top and bottom) and the “petals” are supported by a light spring.
When the exhaust system is not working, the valve closes the access of air masses from the street. As soon as the cooker hood is switched on, the plate, thanks to a spring, will go back into place.
After choosing a hood, by carefully matching it to the color and design of the kitchen set, you will find yourself facing a choice: seek help from professionals to install the kitchen hood, paying a solid fee for the installation of the hood for the kitchen, or hang it yourself, having previously read our article.
The most important thing when installing a kitchen hood, it is: objectively assess their strength, and the possibility of getting help from the household, assess the instrumental equipment before starting work, understand the enclosed to the hood instructions and believe in your power.