The length of pants directly depends on the width of the styles of the product. There is a classic rule to remember: tapered pants should be shorter, and flared longer.
Women’s Pants Length
According to the laws of etiquette, women’s pants should reach to the heel. It looks gentle, beautiful and visually lengthens the legs. This length would be considered traditional, but in recent days there are so many new styles, so it is difficult to say about a single correct length of pants. For bell-bottom pants such standards are no longer suitable.
The correct pant length for different models:
- Straight. The length reaches to ½ of the heel. Visually the legs look longer and slimmer. This also applies to jeans;
- Pipes. Free cut styles from the point of the hips. Pants that are too short visually make the hips look bulkier. With a good cut, almost the entire heel is not visible, but the toe should stick out. The correct distance from the ground is 2 cm;
- With arrows. The style is suitable for the office, straight, reach the middle of the heel, on both sides there are smooth arrows;
- Sporty. If chosen correctly, you will feel comfortable and soft when exercising. If pants have an elastic band, the ankle should not be visible.
For sports pants have their own nuances. Since the pants are knitted, it is not always possible to do it by hand. Tailors for this use special machines, and at home you can do it on an ordinary overlock machine.
To prevent the fabric from tattering, masters suggest using needles with slightly rounded ends. To stretch the material better, it is desirable to put a thin paper strip. The process of working with sports pants:
- Measure the material for the bend and cut it;
- Go over the edges with an overlock;
- Fix the bends;
- Stitch on the inside.
Next, you need to make another seam at a distance of 4 mm. If the zipper is on the side, then it needs to be ripped, making 5 cm for the crease.
Pants with bulbs are hemmed at the location of the decorative seam. The same is allowed if the garment has an elastic band.
Important! The main disadvantage of knitwear is that it quickly stretches under the influence of mechanical factors. To avoid this, it is advisable to use a special foot to cautiously advance the material in the process. New styles of sewing machines have an additional stitch for such a fabric.
The length of men’s pants
When buying pants, you should try on as many models as possible. Since it is very difficult to find the right one the first time. Sometimes stores have a pant fitting service right on the spot. It is desirable to be in the shoes that you plan to walk with the pants.
Note! It does not matter what kind of pants were bought, the main thing is that they fit well and match the shoes.
For official receptions it is better not to take short cuts, such as slacks, joggers, chinos. They will be narrowed to the ankle, suitable for everyday wear. For celebrations it is better to take classic pants and oxfords.
Technique of hemming pants
Methods using duct tape and blindstitching are described in the relevant articles, to which there are links below, but here we will touch on the most simple hemming using a sewing machine.
After fitting and marking, we cut the excess fabric. The resulting edge should be overstitched. so it is less spoiled and retains a nice appearance.
Now more about the stages of hemming pants:
- The first thing we do is to sweep the trouser band at the level of the trouser hem;
- The stitching is carried out on special textured strips all around the circumference;
- When you go all the way around and get close to the overlap of the ends, you should lower the needle and raise the sewing machine‘s foot;
- Across the tape, stitch the seam and move on to stitching the other edge of the tape;
- Now iron out the pant braid;
- Bend the pant leg and stitch with suitable threads, or sew by hand with a blindstitch;
- Iron the seams and enjoy a great pant.
How to shorten pants with duct tape
It is easy and quick to hem the pants with the help of tape (webbing). Put the adhesive tape on the wrong side of the fabric with the paper layer facing upwards, cover with a clean cloth and iron. After it has cooled, remove the strip of paper, fold the seam allowance and iron it out again. Cobweb is applied so that the adhesive layer does not stick out from under the fabric, otherwise it will stick to the iron and leave traces on the product.
To keep the tape from coming off during wear and washing, you can then hem the pants by hand with a countersunk stitch. At the same time, the areas where the side seams with allowances pass, fix with extra stitches.
How to Choose a Length
Today it is rare to buy pants that fit perfectly in length. Every time you have to shorten them. If there is no time to carry in a workshop, then hem with your own hands.
Even experienced seamstresses consider the choice of length to be almost the main part of hemming pants. After all, the wrong length can ruin the whole look.
Tip! Linen, denim, cotton clothes should be washed first, because they can shrink a lot.
Choose the length of women’s pants. If you will wear pants with high heels, their length should reach to the middle of the heel. If the shoes are without a heel, then the bottom of the items should reach to the beginning of the low heel. The front of the product should cover the middle of the instep.
Put the person you want to shorten on a chair. Tuck, pinned, then sew a tracing stitch.
Materials and tools needed
In order to exactly replicate the factory finish, you need an industrial machine. Most home sewing machines will not sew multiple layers of denim. Good if you still have an unpretentious machine from my grandmother, it will cope with the work better than modern “whiteshaveks. In addition to heavy equipment for the work will be needed:
- sharp scissors, ideally tailor’s scissors 2;
- Machine denim needles 00-130;
- Thread to match the fabric 0 and finishing 0;
- Sailor’s chalk or regular soap;
- Steam iron.
A brief list will come in handy for doing the most technological hemming on a home sewing machine.
How to properly take in pants
The problem with re-stitching pants to size smaller can arise for a variety of reasons. First, the update may not fit perfectly on the figure. The irregular figure of girls pushes to the specified operation in the pursuit of beauty. For example, height, fullness or thinness. often than not, the length is shortened.
Second, the product may stretch if not washed properly. Most often it is not a temperature or spin cycle. Remake the length or width of trousers.
Third, the favorite thing became too big after losing weight. You have to change the width of trousers, at the waist, hips. Fourth, the purchase was made under the influence of a moment of weakness. I liked the model, but the right size was not available. But on closer inspection, it was decided to sew or re-sew the product.
Fifthly, adhering to fashion trends is not always affordable to fashionistas. And you have to go for tricks. One of these changes is to alter the existing pants. Or just change the model of pants. Sixth, the pants may sit well, except in some places. For example, a placket in the thigh area.
Seventh, you might find scuffs or marriage of the product. In the atelier, such services can be expensive. Therefore, it is better to sew at home with minimal knowledge of sewing.
Before you start cutting jeans pants, you need to think carefully about how they will be worn next. If you plan to wear high-heeled shoes under them, then the fitting should take place exactly in them.
Pay attention! Even a few centimeters can ruin the style and appearance of the pants.
Determining the length requires careful attention. Professionals measure the right pant leg and then symmetrically transfer them to the left. But as practice shows, each person has his own specific figure silhouette, so it would be better to make a mark on each of the pants. You should not adjust the length based on an old pair of pants, even if they are the same size and model. This is explained by the fact that every pant can look different when worn.
Before you hem jeans by hand without a machine need to prepare the following tools:
You should also prepare an iron with steam, which will need to iron the product after sewing.
If for hemstitching denim models having a prominent seam at the lowest level of the pants is a necessary attribute, then the classic pants need a countersunk seam.
Often needlewomen do not take up the blindstitching, citing the difficulty of the work. Of course, you can easily address such a repair to the atelier. masters will easily cope with the proposed action. But such a restoration technique is easy enough to learn.
The most elementary is the mechanical execution of a secret seam for pants. We will need a thin needle, a not twisted thread of monochrome fabric, pins for fixation and a little patience.
Bending pants and fixing the edge with pins. You should well iron the edges and turn the pant inside out.
HOW TO HEM PANTS | Shorten Pants Without Sewing Machine
To preserve the countersunk seam, it should be performed directly under the edge, trimmed with an overlock.
The sewing technique is simple. the inside ties are about 7 mm long, and on the outside you should try to snag one thread.
Sew up pants with a countersunk stitch on a machine
The technique of sewing pants with a countersunk stitch on the machine in the first stages is identical to other works of this kind:
- fitting. the breeches are fitted, the bottom is set at the level of the middle of the heel;
- make a chalk mark, bend the pants;
- Fix the lily of the hem with white thread.
Now we proceed to the main work. how to hem the pants with a countersunk stitch, using any sewing machine:
- set the foot for straight stitching;
- remove the removable part on the machine;
- choose a setting for straight stitching;
- Sew the trouser tape around the whole circumference, with the marked fishing line on the left side;
- Change the foot to a countersunk-cutting and set the special settings. looks like a specific zig-zag;
- secure the edge with pins;
- Turn the pant inside out;
- there should be a protruding edge of about 4-7mm;
- sew it all around the circumference.
Repeat the procedure with the other pant leg, and you can enjoy the work of hemming the pants with countersunk tape.
Instructions for hemming with preservation of the factory seam
An integral part of the garment is the decorative seam. Many people, bought jeans, which at the waist is ideal for them, but have the wrong length, wonder how to save the factory trim.
This requires adhering to the following order of action:
- Determine the length and width of the hems on the wrong side;
- Unfold the thing and straighten all the folds;
- From the planned length to measure up the width of the hem;
- Draw a line parallel to the floor and set aside 1 centimeter down;
- Draw the second line and perform all the above steps on the other pant;
- Trim along the second line;
- Take a scrap of the factory stitching and set aside from the hems 1 cm;
- draw a line and cut off the excess.
A pair of jeans with saved seam should be hemmed as follows:
- Attach trim pieces to the pants;
- Level the seams and staple inside and to the sides;
- Carefully sweep the parts together;
- to baste from the factory seam in 1 mm;
- make a cut of the seam allowance before the stitching in a few millimeters;
- Trim the seam allowance to 4 mm;
- To the hem, scuff out the edges;
- from the factory seam in 1 mm stitching and sweep the seam allowances.
This is an easy way to hem jeans with the preservation of the factory seam.