The process of assembling the hob
When you make the holes, immediately begin to align the edges. Then there is the sanding process. For this you will need to prepare sandpaper in advance. You can also use a file.
If the worktop is made of laminated board, you will have to give the edges of the rectangle some extra work. What’s the point? The core of such boards is laminated chipboard or fibreboard. And these materials are very susceptible to moisture. That’s why you can’t allow them to get wet. To do this, prime the cut edges with glue. Nitrolac is also good for this. Remember to let them dry.
Please note that when the stove is gas, the hose with the coupling nut must be connected before the panel is installed in the countertop. If you install the hob immediately, you will have problems with gas supply. This is more difficult to do.
IMPORTANT! If you have prepared the hole as it should be, the hob can already be installed in the countertop. The appliance must be lowered into the hole that you have cut, and then align it using a level. When you have centered the plate, start securing it.
Why is the hob glass cracked
Manufacturers claim: glass ceramic panel can withstand a load of up to 25 kg per cm 2. But this does not mean that you should not be careful when handling it. Rules for using such devices are set out in the manual. Their non-compliance leads to a breakdown. To avoid cracking a glass ceramic cooktop, you can’t:
- drop heavy objects on the surface. pots, pans (sometimes a knife dropped vertically with the tip downwards is enough for chipping)
- turn on several burners at full power at the same time;
- maintain heating for a long time;
- pour cold water on a hot stove (small splashes do not apply);
- spill sugar on it, which will quickly melt. after cleaning the surface will appear small damages in the material, they easily cause cracks;
- to put the pot on a non-cleaned surface, if it sticks, it will come off together with a part of the glass panel;
- To leave unattended the boiling sugar syrup, and moreover. jam, if they overflow over the edge, to remove them without micro-injuries to the panel is impossible;
- cook food in aluminum cookware, with a flat or concave, but not convex bottom;
- use abrasive materials for maintenance, they scratch the surface, microcracks are formed. the cause of serious damage;
- using hard sponges for cleaning. scrapers and sponges for glass ceramic are needed.
But even if you do not do all this, cracks are inevitable when the glass ceramic cooktop is initially installed incorrectly: stacked against the edges. When the material expands due to heat, stress is created in the material, the consequence of which is a crack.
If the hob glass cracked, the nature of the damage can be determined by the cause:
- On impact, the cracks are branched, with lintels;
- when overheated, they appear in the cooking area, going to the edges;
- The center of the panel is cracked because of incorrect installation.
Damage to the panel can be different: a small chip in a corner or a crack that crosses the entire surface with the rays branching. But regardless of their size, cooking on it is dangerous:
- The operation of the stove is disturbed;
- the heat escapes through the cracks;
- the size of the cracks increases;
- There is a danger of electric shock, especially if you touch the wet pan with your hands.
Regardless of the extent of damage, you can not use the stove.
If the hob broke, what to do in this case? Options for further action only 2: replacement of the panel with a new, repair damage. The choice is determined by the size of the crack and the skills of the owner. There is a third option. gentle: replacement of the panel, and sometimes the cooktop in the service center at the expense of the manufacturer, if the warranty is still valid. This is possible when the reason is a factory defect. If the glass ceramic hob cracked due to improper use of the hob, you will have to pay for its replacement.
Fixing the cracked cooking surface
Even small scratches can grow into a huge problem: glass ceramic surface will be covered with cracks. To remove the smallest damage can be done in two ways:
- A paste-like mixture of baking soda and water is covered with a soft napkin, movements in a circle polish the surface with the means, all that remains, remove with a dry towel;
- with a composition designed for polishing surfaces made of metal, cover a cotton swab and wipe the top of the plate, with paper napkins remove the remnants.
Before using the remedy, you need to test its action on a small area. If all is well, proceed to remove the micro-damage.
And what can be done if the hob cracked, affecting the working area? The best option is to call in a specialist for help. If you have skills in working with glass and glue, you can repair the damage yourself. The main requirement for the materials used is resistance to high temperature. You will need:
- glue. silicate, Cosmophen (if the place of damage is not heated above 50 degrees) or cyanoacrylate;
- pieces of glass 4-5×9 cm in size;
- epoxy resin;
- Aluminum plate to the size of the crack;
- rubber spatula;
- alcohol, gasoline or acetone for degreasing.
- Disconnect the stove from the power supply.
- The panel is removed.
- Repair begins with careful degreasing.
- Lubricate the crack with glue.
- Reinforce the surfaces around the perimeter (but not under the burners) with pieces of glass, placing them on silicone.
- If the vitrified clay elements are missing, the empty spaces are filled with epoxy resin.
- Strengthen the place of a chipping by gluing the prepared aluminum plate under the crack.
When the resin has set and the glue has hardened, the hob is put back in place.
Replace the glass on the cooktop
The lucky owners of glass ceramic stoves are usually very satisfied because the device saves energy. As well as how accurately and quickly control the temperature of the burners.
However, this type of kitchen equipment has one vulnerable place. the cooking surface. It is a layer of special heat-resistant glass, which under certain conditions can crack.
Cracked cooktop is one of the most common breakdowns in glass ceramic cooktops.
Whirlpool Electric Cooktop Main Glass Top Replacement W10365146
What must a heat sealant be like?
IMPORTANT! Modern silicone sealants meet these requirements. For example DOWSIL Q3-1566, Makroflex TA145, FOME FLEX Thermo, Loctite 5399 and others.
Some of them, such as DOWSIL Q3-1566, can be used for sealing joints in household ovens, gas and electric stoves, hobs and ovens as well as in industrial heating equipment. That is, you can recognize their high efficiency.
Note that automotive sealants are also heat-resistant. Despite this, they cannot be used for kitchen appliances. Specialists pay attention to their toxicity.
Special heat resistant sealants for ovens and cooktops have a paste consistency. And that is why they do not drip when you apply them. They have high adhesion to many materials. They are able to maintain stability and elasticity over a wide range of temperatures.
IMPORTANT! When sealants harden under normal conditions, they become a strong, rubber-like substance that has excellent performance characteristics.
Oven repair by gluing
Once you have decided how to glue the glass in the oven of the gas stove, you can begin to work. The procedure is as follows:
- Unscrew retaining screws, carefully remove the glass.
- Clean and degrease the surfaces to be glued.
- Apply adhesive to the perimeter of the door, following the instructions for use.
- Press the glass pane firmly onto the metal.
- Bond the surfaces until they are completely dry.
It is important to glue the glass evenly, without twists and strong pressure, otherwise it will not break.
The oven is a complicated and dangerous appliance. It should be repaired by a specialist, but replacing the fallen out or damaged glass is within everyone’s power. It is important to choose a heat-resistant surface of the right thickness and a safe heat-resistant adhesive. Choose formulations labeled “food grade”.
If the integrity of the glass of the oven is broken, do not rush to change the entire device. Heat-resistant adhesive sealants can help repair the appliance. At the same time it is worth paying attention to the choice of their composition. When using a heat-resistant oven glass adhesive, it is important to note that it must be able to withstand temperatures greater than 260 degrees. The safety of the substance is important, because it will be in contact with food.
What to do if the glass is peeling or broken
If the oven glass is damaged, replacing it with any durable glass using a universal adhesive will not produce the desired result.
- To begin with, use non-tempered glass (even in a door with three layers, and it will be external). It may not be able to withstand the heat and burst.
- Most heat resistant adhesives are not designed for use in food storage or preparation areas. Because they emit toxic fumes, and it happens not only when they are heated.
When choosing, you need to consider two main criteria, its heat resistance and size (not all glass can be accurately cut with a household glass cutter). The best option would be to order it on the manufacturer’s website, service centers or contact them directly. Especially if it has an irregular shape.
How to choose the glue
The main criteria for selecting an adhesive are temperature resistance, elasticity and non-toxicity. After studying many forums and sources on the network we have identified several adhesive options. Most of which are silicone-based sealants.
To repair kitchen appliances need to take glue that has a specialized composition. That it could well glue different materials, could withstand temperature changes, that it was elastic and of course was not toxic. The adhesive sealant Dow Corning Q3. 1566 fits perfectly to these parameters. Sold as a paste, does not leak, does not lose elasticity at temperatures from.50 to 275. I’ve also seen RTV 118Q glue. It had a label that said it could be used in food processing equipment.
There may be many different options, for example, LK glue glues different materials, withstands temperatures up to 1,100 degrees. Also there is a glue sealant titan and Soudal. The label says that they can withstand temperatures up to 1500 degrees, and on the titanium even says that it is food grade.
There are also descriptions of other options, for example:
Silicone sealant CLT 30. The description says that it is made on the basis of rubber, and is used at temperatures from.55 to 250, unaffected by moisture. If you believe the description on the label, it can bond plexiglass, ceramics and more. It can be used as a sealant for threaded joints of plumbing and so on.
On average, branded panel costs from 2 to 9 thousand, depending on the model brand and the number of burners. Plus the work of the master is estimated at 1500. 3000 thousand. In the end, it turns out that the cost of replacing the panel will cost half the cost of the cooktop.
- The panel must be removed and wiped with a degreaser.
- The crack along the entire length should be smeared with silicate glue.
- Glue reinforcing elements around the perimeter in places where there are no burners.
- Missing pieces of glass ceramic can be repaired with epoxy resin by simply pouring them in place of a chip.
What to do if the hob is damaged
We must admit that stoves with glass ceramic hobs have become very popular. Users appreciate the fact that they have heat indicators. They also like that they are fairly easy to use. On top of that, taking care of them is not a big problem, if you follow the rules. And they also provide an opportunity to rationally use the space.
Surface of the panels is flat and smooth. It can be cleaned from dirt without any problems. However, defects on it are quite possible. The culprit is severe mechanical damage. They also occur with prolonged glowing. As a result, scratches and even cracks. The extent of the damage varies. That is, the cracks may be subtle and occupy the entire surface area.
IMPORTANT! These defects are dangerous. They cause the device to malfunction. The incandescent temperature rises. The exterior of the appliance is ruined. Fractures can increase, causing the vitrified clay layer to fail completely. And when an electric current flows through the stove, it can strike a person.