Manual cleaning of machine parts: step-by-step instructions
It is important to keep the parts of the appliance clean on a regular basis. A comprehensive treatment of the components of the washing machine will not only eliminate the unpleasant smell, but also improve its functionality.
Clean the detergent dispenser
Build up a coating of water and powder granules on the walls of the washer-dryer tray. It is recommended to treat the cuvette monthly. For plaque removal, baking soda or any product with chlorine is suitable.
If the plaque is pronounced, rough, it is recommended:
- Soak the pan in citric acid solution (1 sachet per pail of water) for one hour or overnight.
- Remove the remaining dirt with a toothbrush.
- Dry the piece and put it back in place.
- Quickly remove plaque will also help and soda-vinegar mixture. The foam generated by the chemical process will soften the deposits.
IMPORTANT! Before re-installing the vessel, the compartment itself must be rinsed. Soda or a bleach solution can be used for this purpose.
Clean the door cuff and drum
The rubber part is often source of odor because it collects debris, dirt, and moisture residue. To clean the drum, simply turn on the machine (without laundry) with an antimicrobial agent or citric acid (1 sachet), which is poured into the powder compartment. You need to carefully bend the element and remove the contents. Then treat the rubber surface with a disinfectant. This may be warm soapy water, vinegar or a professional cleaner. However, chlorine-containing products should be avoided.
If heavy soiling or mold has formed on the cuff, a mixture of baking soda and water, combined in the same ratio, will clean it. Put the mixture into the cuff and drum, wait a couple of hours, then wipe off the elements and run the washing mode. After cleaning, these parts are wiped dry with a soft cloth.
Filter and hose cleaning
Small debris and objects remaining after washing, accumulate in the filter and the hose through which the liquid escapes. This treatment is recommended on a quarterly basis. To remove the filter from the machine, remove the cover panel. The part is usually at the front of the machine from below. Place a dishcloth or a cloth in front of the machine, as about 500 ml of water will be emptied.
Unscrew the filter counterclockwise and rinse.
IMPORTANT! Before cleaning, be sure to disconnect the washing machine from the power supply and turn off the cold water.
Descaling the heating element (heating element)
Limescale builds up on the element over time. To clean the heating element, you can use the services of a professional craftsman or do it yourself.
Disconnect wires, sensor and carefully remove the part. The location of the element can be found in the instruction manual of the appliance, it varies from model to model.
Why does the washing machine smell bad?
If there is a bad smell from the drum, to eliminate it, you must first find the cause. In most cases the problem is solved simply and without help.
The smell from the drum can sometimes be caused by low-quality detergent or fabric softener. Detergents of dubious origin often cause a musty odor. The substance is not fully washed out, remains on the tray walls and gives a stink.
To date, no raw material has been invented from which it is possible to make a smooth container. Lime and powder residue build up on the inner surface of the tray as it is used. There may also appear harmful organisms and mold, which also gets on the laundry. To avoid damage to the tray, it must be flushed after every third use. To remove it, press the button or apply pressure.
The tray can be cleaned with a toothbrush and soap, and then rinsed under running water. If the dirt is already encrusted, you must immerse the object in a product containing chlorine for 1.5 to 2 hours.
The duct is clogged
Plaque can also collect on the walls of the channel along which the powder flows into the door. To remove this cause, it is necessary to remove the container and shine a flashlight into the hole. Mould and dirt are immediately visible. This part of the washing machine is not easy to clean, some people use a small bottle washer. But it’s best to call in a handyman and keep the container from getting too dirty.
Drain strainer clogged
The machine has a drain filter, which does not allow debris to penetrate into the sewer. But it often gets clogged with lint, pet hair, etc.п. Clean the filter twice a year or as dirty as possible. Otherwise the accumulated garbage will begin to emit a bad smell. In addition, the machine may not work at all with a clogged filter.
Before starting the cleaning procedure, it is necessary to wear gloves and then proceed as follows
- Open the small door on the bottom of the housing.
- Set up a small container with edges or put a cloth napkin underneath.
- Unscrew the cap and remove the filter.
- Remove coarse dirt with your fingers and wash off the remaining dirt with a strong jet of water.
- Carefully return all parts to their places.
Open the small door on the bottom of the casing
A hose that has not been cleaned or replaced for a long time also provokes the stink. Dirt and detergent residue accumulate on the hose’s inner walls. It can be cleaned at home by an empty wash with water heated to 90°. Instead of powder, pour a cup of food-grade sodium bicarbonate. You can also clean the disconnected hose from both sides with a kevlar rope. If all else fails, replace the part with a new one.
Large amount of dirt is deposited on the heating element. It attracts soap, lint and water residue, too. Over time, this scale begins to stink rotten. If a lot of dirt has accumulated on the electric heater, the latter gradually burns through and exudes an unpleasant odor. Clean it by pouring citric acid instead of powder and run an empty wash at 90 °.
The problem with the drain
The stench doesn’t always come out of the washer, sometimes it comes out of the sewer. To the problems with communal communications can also indicate the stench from the sinks. Independently get rid of the unpleasant smell in this case will not work, you will only need to replace the pipes. However, it is possible to avoid stink coming out through the machine if the hose is properly attached: it must be U-shaped and lifted at least half a meter from the floor.
Abuse of detergents
It is important to pour the set amount of powder into the machine. Otherwise the excess will stick to the parts and soon begin to stink.
Mold and fungus
A musty smell always appears if the water is never heated more than 40°. Such temperature does not kill harmful microorganisms, which multiply rapidly in a humid environment. often mold is formed in automatic machines with horizontal loading, because such units are filled with less water.
Why does the smell appear
Of course, to combat the problem, you need to figure out the root cause.
often than not, a bad smell from the washing machine appears because of these situations:
- The machine “suffocated”. Many people after washing either do not take out the laundry immediately (do not believe me, but some can lie inside for more than a day), and if they do, they immediately close the door tightly. This prevents the moisture inside from evaporating;
- Water and debris are left in the folds of the cuff. The result is mold and stink;
- The “drum” is used instead of the dirty laundry tank. This creates an ideal environment for the reproduction of bacteria, and that’s why the unpleasant smell appears. And if the machine has not been sufficiently dried, then the process will accelerate several times;
- Cheap powders and gels are used for washing. Poor quality products do not rinse out completely, not only from the laundry. They also settle on the walls of the machine. Over time, this will cause a very unpleasant odor;
- too much detergent is used. The result is similar to the cause described above. Even the most expensive detergent, in excessive amounts being in the machine, will “stick” to the walls of the device;
- The powder tray is dirty. If it is not cleaned regularly, mold and a smelly film will form on the walls;
- the channel for supplying the detergent inside the machine is clogged. If you monitor the cleanliness of the tray, this will not happen;
- Dirt in the drain filter. It should normally be cleaned at least once every six months;
- old drain hose. It cannot be cleaned, so you just need to change it regularly. Slime and dirt collects on the walls, which means you get a great source of stink;
- A clog in the communal sewer system. In this case, the smell will come not only from the machine, but also from the sink, bathroom.
Most of the causes can be easily eliminated on their own with the help of both store remedies, and folk recipes.
Why the stench is forming
Before you start combating unpleasant odors, you need to study the causes of their occurrence:
- Using a lot of laundry detergent. Many housewives believe that if you add more laundry detergent than the instructions, it will only be better, but this is not true. When using a lot of detergents, all the residues, uninvolved in the process of washing, will begin to settle on the work items in the form of a scum. It is he who will later begin to emit unpleasant odors.
- Sewage system. Laundry appliances may not always be source of stench. The poor state of the sewage system can affect the work of the automatic machine. It’s easy to check: just compare the smell in the appliance with the aroma coming from the sink pipes. If they are identical, then the problem comes from the sewage pipes.
- Limescale. The water contains large amounts of salt and magnesium. The most common reason is the formation of limescale on the heating element of the washing machine. It is also affected by the large accumulation of dirt and detergents. Because of this, the performance of the machine decreases and power consumption increases. If limescale is not removed, the appliance will soon be unserviceable.
- Poor condition of the hose. The washing machine cannot work forever. To extend the life of the washing machine, it is necessary to carefully monitor its constituent parts. After a couple of years of operation, the hose in the machine can wear out. Over time, dirt accumulates on it, reducing its performance. A small buildup can be cleaned by running the washer without laundry. But this method will not help to cope with strong and stagnant dirt. In such a situation, only buying and installing a new hose will help.
- Dirt in the tray. Contamination of this element of the washing machine is a common cause of mold. If you flush the tray regularly, it will reduce the amount of dirt and prevent the appearance of musty odors. If you have not managed to keep an eye on the sump tray and it is already mildewed, you can simply rinse it under running water. When these manipulations still do not get rid of unpleasant odors, you should carefully check the washing machine for malfunction, as well as the presence of mold in other places.
- Dirt in the drain filter. Protect the sewer pipes from dirt debris, detergents, clothing items, it helps to filter. Once every 5-7 months it is necessary to change it for a new one. Otherwise, the smooth operation of the machine may be impaired. Water stagnation will begin to appear, unpleasant odors will intensify.
- Dirt in the supply duct. If the mistress poorly monitored the tray, there is a high probability of development of contamination in the channel. Not always conditioners and powders are completely washed out of the laundry tray, some remain on the walls, over time moldy. If you remove the tray from the machine you can clean the channel of moldy stagnation and dirt by hand, using an ordinary toothbrush, or a bottle cleaner.
- Use of low-quality detergents. Many housewives like to experiment. Using just one powder or conditioner sometimes makes you bored. Want to try something new: new flavor, new granules, new features. But such innovations do not always benefit your washing machine, especially when the new detergent is of poor quality. Means that should not be used for washing laundry, it is easy to calculate the formation of plaque. If there are odors in the drum after a change of detergent, it is advisable to return to a proven detergent. Otherwise, the odor will only get worse.
- Washing at low temperatures. Not all clothes can be washed at temperatures above 60 ° C⁰. But, detergents do not dissolve well when washed in cool water. As a result, they settle on the inner parts of the machine, leading gradually to the formation of fungal plaque. To reduce the likelihood of fungus, you can use chlorine bleach. They help to dissolve the slime that formed during the wash, and wash the plaque off the rubber cuffs.
Folk remedies to eliminate unpleasant odor in the washing machine
There are not a few effective folk remedies to remove unpleasant odors from the washing machine. Almost all of them are present in every home and can provide reasonable savings on the purchase of more expensive industrial compounds.
One of the proven means is citric acid. If you wish to remove limescale from the heating element with it, you must do the following.
- Take 100-200 grams of citric acid powder and pour it into the tray.
- Set the temperature to 90-95 degrees.
- Turn the dishwasher on.
- At the first buzzing sounds due to too big lumps of limescale chipping off the surface of the heating element, turn the machine off immediately. Clean the drain thoroughly. Turn the machine on again.
- After completing the washing process, carefully inspect the rubber elements, in which particles of limescale may be stuck.
- Wipe the drum and check the drain again.
With citric acid you can remove unpleasant odors from the washing machine
How to clean the washing machine from scale with citric acid. video
Want to share my washing machine descaling experience. The surest way, the advice of a loved one. Your mom helped. Her machine is always in great condition, and it washes with one of the cheapest powders.Cleaning is easy enough, you need to rinse periodically with citric acid. My neglected machine I managed to clean with the third time, 4 packs of acid at a time. a killer dose, honestly was afraid to spoil the washing machine, but the result exceeded my expectations! The drum shines like new on the inside, there is no slimy buildup, and the smell is gone!
Vinegar Table vinegar 9% also has a good effect.
Vinegar neutralizes unpleasant odors in washing machines
How to clean a washing machine with vinegar. video
If your machine has begun to exude the smell of gasoline or diesel after washing things soaked in these substances, you need to do the following.
- Set the temperature to 30 degrees.
- Sprinkle a tray of 1⁄2 packets of baking soda.
- Start your machine.
- After completing the wash, you should repeat the above steps, replacing the baking soda with 1 cup of vinegar 9%.
- Then do another wash with cold water, with no detergent added.
- After washing, let the machine air out by leaving the door open for a few hours. If the odor does not disappear the next day, a series of “dry” washes must be repeated.
Baking soda can help remove unpleasant smells from your washing machine
If you can’t get rid of the offensive smell, use bleach.
- Pour 0.5 liters of bleach into the detergent drawer.
- Set the washing cycle to “boiling”.
- Then use the extra rinse cycle.
Chlorine bleach is a powerful bleach that can also be used to clean clothes in washing machines
Dishwasher tablets may be helpful to remove bad smells from the washing machine.
- Put 6 tablets in the drum.
- Set the wash temperature as high as possible and start the machine.
- Then pause the washing process or just turn the machine off in the middle of the wash.
- Leave the boiling water in the machine drum with the dissolved tablets for about 3 hours.
Dishwasher tablets can also remove unpleasant odors from the washing machine
Laundry and dishwasher descaling powder helped me. Sold in supermarkets in household chemicals, it even comes with lemon scents, etc.д. The fabric is poured straight into the drum and washed; I do not remember which one I bought, but I was very pleased with it.к. the smell was, but now it is not, and I try not to accumulate the laundry there and after washing, keep the door open to dry out and not to get musty
How to clean various elements of a washing machine
The drum of the washing machine is only one of the internal parts. At first glance, it seems like you can get rid of the smell just by thoroughly wiping the inside of the washing machine. But after this procedure, people often find that the situation has not changed at all.
- Tray, in which the laundry detergent is poured;
- The heating element inside the machine, which is subject to scale formation;
- the drain hose and its filter, which collects all the fine debris.
To remove the stale odor completely, it is necessary to clean all of the following elements.
How to Clean a Washing Machine from Odor from a Tray
To wash the washing machine from the smell and remove the unpleasant odor, it is enough to pull out the tray, usually manufacturers make it removable, the part can be removed in one movement without the use of special tools. The tray is thoroughly rinsed with hot water, dirty places are cleaned with an old toothbrush. To remove the smell will help household soap or any means with m chlorine.
After cleaning, you need to dry the tray naturally or wipe it down with paper towels, and then put it back.
How to remove the smell from the reception opening of the washing machine
The reception opening in the washing machine is called a recess in which there is a tray for the powder. Over time dirt and unpleasant smells can accumulate here too, e.g. fungi will very quickly transfer from the soiled sump tray to the walls of the inlet.
To clean the hole is very simple, first of all, you need to remove and thoroughly wash the tray itself. After that, a damp rag or a small brush treated recess, in which it was fixed, for quality cleaning you can use laundry soap or bleach. Afterwards the sump opening should be wiped dry with a clean cloth and the clean, dry tray put back in.
How to eliminate the smell from the cuff in the washing machine
The seal on the appliance which seals the drum when the door is closed is particularly prone to the accumulation of unpleasant odours. First of all, the cuff is made of rubber, so dirt and detergent residues settle on its surface very easily, and the fungus spreads quickly. In addition, by its structure, the cuff has many folds and hard-to-reach places, they are not cleaned naturally during the rinse.
To clean the cuff from dirt and remove the musty smell from the washing machine during the wash, you need:
- moisten a cloth with soapy water and carefully wipe the outside of the elastic band on the door opening;
- bend the edges of the cuff and remove the dirt under them, which is usually where small debris accumulates and mold arises;
- wipe the gum in all recesses around the entire circumference of the hatch;
- Moisten a cloth with a solution of chlorine or other strong detergents and rinse the entire cuff thoroughly again;
- For half an hour, close the machine’s hatch and wait for the cleaner to show maximum effectiveness.
After that, it is recommended to run the machine without laundry in rinse mode to allow the hot water to properly rinse the drum and gum, this will remove the remains of the used cleaning agents without unnecessary effort.
How to Clean a Washing Machine from Odor from the Hose
To get rid of the stinky smell from your washing machine, you often need to remove the drain hose. Dirty water and small particles run through the hose every time the appliance is turned on. Over time, dirt accumulates on the inner walls of the hose and forms a thick deposit, it is the source of unpleasant odor.
There are two ways to thoroughly clean the drain hose and remove the musty odor.
- Without removing the hose. If the machine does not exhibit any noticeable clogging and the problem is just a swampy odor, you can leave the drain hose in place. It is enough to run an empty machine at high water temperature. in the powder tray, you must first pour a special cleanser to remove deposits. Powders, solutions and gels from reputable manufacturers do not harm the hose itself or the rubber gaskets inside the machine, but effectively dissolve deposits on the walls and even small rotten debris.
- With the hose removed. If there is reason to suspect that the hose is seriously clogged, it should be removed to clean it. To do this, first completely disconnect the machine from the network, then cut off the water supply. completely in the entire apartment or using a special valve only in the washing machine. Then the hose is carefully disconnected from the back of the machine, beforehand you need to put a basin to drain the remaining water. Clean the hose with a soft kevlar cable and rinse it several times with hot water to remove deposits and stink, then put it back in place and reconnect the machine to the sewer and power supply.
How to clean a washing machine from the smell from the filter
The drain filter is usually located on the side or rear cover of the machine at the bottom under the plug. It is designed to collect and retain all the small debris from clothing. Since in conditions of constant humidity garbage begins to rot, it is natural that over time there is a strong unpleasant smell.
To remove the smell of rot from the washing machine, the filter must be cleaned. To do this, the plug on the back or side wall is removed, the filter plug is unscrewed and put a pre-prepared basin, from the machine can pour out quite a lot of lingering water. The filter is cleaned of debris, washed thoroughly in hot water with soap or other household products, then rinsed and screwed back on.
Cleaning the washing machine from the smell from the drum
Despite the fact that it is quite difficult to remove the rotten smell from the washing machine, and it can come from several places, most often the strongest aroma gives the drum of the machine. It is not difficult to clean the drum. you need not dismantle the machine to access it.
To remove the musty smell, the surface of the drum is simply wiped with a damp cloth soaked in one of the cleaners. For cleaning, both chemical solutions and powders are suitable, as well as folk remedies.
After cleaning, it is recommended to run the machine without laundry at high temperatures. this will remove residual cleaning agents. But do not do it immediately, first it is recommended to leave the cleaner for 30-40 minutes, so that it had a full effect on the walls of the drum.
Unpleasant smell from the washing machine has many causes. But most often the problems are solved quite simply.
Changing the detergent
Sometimes a washing machine can “get sick” from a bad powder or laundry conditioner. A poor quality product may well provoke a musty appearance in the unit. The substance does not wash out well, settles on the walls of the drum and, as it accumulates, smells musty endlessly.
Unfortunately no material has yet been developed that can make a perfectly smooth tray. Limescale and powder residues accumulate on the walls. Sometimes there is even mold or mildew, which can easily get on the laundry during the washing process. Maximum rapid deterioration of the plastic drawer can be avoided by rinsing it after every third wash.
Press the button (usually blue) to remove the tray from the channel. It can be cleaned with a toothbrush and soap and warm water. If it is difficult to remove deposits, soak the tray in any chlorine solution. The dirt must have dissolved after 1.5 to 2 hours.
Similarly, plaque can form on the walls of the channel through which the detergent flows to the drum.
How to clean a smelly washing machine. Which? advice
You need to remove the tray and shine a flashlight deep inside. Mildew, deposits you will see at once, and the smell will not make you doubt whether there is dirt. This part of the machine will have to be cleaned. Some housewives use a special small mop. This is usually sold as a dishwashing tray. But this task is best handled by a professional. In fact, contamination can be avoided altogether by systematically keeping the tray clean.
The drain filter is blocked
A drain filter is needed in the machine so that unnecessary debris does not get into the sewer. Therefore this part is periodically clogged with hair, pet hair, etc.д. Experts recommend cleaning the filter once every six months or as needed. Otherwise, everything that has accumulated in it will certainly begin to emit an unpleasant odor.
Warning! Because of a clogged filter the machine can stop working at all, which will be indicated by a signal or a sign on the panel.
Usually the filter is on the bottom of the washer. Wear gloves. Since some water may leak out, put a basin with low edges or a rag underneath. Carefully unscrew the lid, remove the filter. Remove the main dirt with your hands and rinse off the remaining dirt with a head of water. Reinstall all parts.
The old hose
If the drain hose hasn’t been cleaned or replaced in a long time, it’s also one of the first causes of odors. Dirt and excess laundry detergent easily settle and accumulate on the inner walls of the hose.
To clean it, run the machine at the highest temperature for an empty wash. You can pour baking soda instead of powder (a little less than a cup).
Tip! You can disconnect the hose for convenience. To clean it, a so-called Kevlar cable is used. It has a scrubber on the end. Clean both sides, then rinse with hot water. If neither method works, the part will have to be replaced with a new one.
Dirt is especially attached to the electric tube heater (heating element). It usually attracts everything in a row: lint, soap, and sediment from not very good water. Then this “richness” begins to stink and smell, especially when you wash only at low temperatures. Generally speaking, high temperatures won’t save much either. If a thick layer of plaque has accumulated on the heating element, it may just burn a little bit, exuding the appropriate “fragrance”.
Tip! If this does not help, call a master. Let a professional take care of the problem.
The problem with the sewer lines
If you are sure that all the most “favorite” places of plaque are normal, and your washing machine is perfectly clean, then perhaps the root of the problem is not in it at all. Sometimes the bad smell comes from the sewer lines. Their malfunction can also indicate the stench from other sources: sinks, showers, bathtubs.
Get rid of the smell in such a case is not possible. Usually such pipes need to be replaced, which is also not in your power. But it is possible to avoid getting a rotten smell in the apartment through the washing machine. The main thing is to connect the hose to the drain correctly. It must take the shape of the letter “U” and be no higher than 50 cm from the floor. That way there’s a seal and the stench doesn’t get any farther down the drain.
Abuse of detergents
It is not for nothing that washing machine manufacturers put divisions in the tray. And not for nothing do they write instructions on the package of the powder. This is an important moment. how much detergent to put in the wash. Excess, sticking to the walls of the parts, can cause an unpleasant smell.
Mold and fungus
Dullness is inevitable if you wash constantly at less than 40 ° C. In that case, fungi and bacteria multiply at a breakneck speed, because all the conditions are created for them: heat and moisture. They cause a musty odor, and during washing they get on the laundry. mold is especially active in machines with horizontal loads, because they use much less water. That is why now the automatic machines with vertical loading become very popular.
Sources of unpleasant ambergris
The first thing to find out why it stinks from the washing machine, to find the source of accumulation of “flavors”. Putrid, musty, musty smells are caused by bacteria, fungi, mold, and mildew. Microbes thrive in warm, humid, dark environments, such as in a laundry.
Microorganisms can settle not only in the centrifuge, but also in the internal parts of the mechanism, drains, hoses. Every place that comes in contact with water is a potential environment for the development of organisms. To detect and eliminate settlements of bacteria, fungi, you should know their habitats, as well as follow simple rules for the operation of the washing machine.
Often the reason for the unpleasant smell is the wrong action or inaction of the hostess. If the musty smell comes from a washing machine a few months after purchase, it means that the owner is not aware of the rules of operation or is negligent with respect to technology. By analyzing your actions while using the machine, you can eliminate the odor factor to keep the technique clean. What do housewives do wrong?? Typical mistakes are described in the table.
|Closing the hatch||– Slamming the door immediately after removing the laundry||– Moisture retention on the surface of the centrifuge due to incomplete evaporation;. Creation of a “greenhouse effect”;. A favorable environment for fungal and bacterial growth|
|Storing dirty laundry||– Loading the wet drum with dirty laundry, keeping things inside for a long time||– Creating an environment for microorganisms to flourish|
|Washing at low temperatures||– Using only one cycle with a set temperature below 40°C||– Incomplete dissolving of powder, poor washout from clothing;. Powder “spots” appearing in machine interiors (drum, hoses, filters) on which bacteria can settle;. Providing a breeding ground for micro-organisms which are not killed by low temperatures|
|Washing at high temperatures||– Using only one temperature setting above 60°C||– Incrustation due to frequent washings at high temperature (above 60°C);. Causes the smell of burning when using the machine at high temperature|
|Using low quality powders||– Use of cheap detergent and rinse aid with no scale-protecting additives||– Poor dissolving of cheap powders;. Soap residue build up inside the hoses;. Scale or limescale build up on surfaces, inside the drum, hoses|
|Careless loading of clothes||– Failure to check s before loading into drum||– Failure to remove various items from s (up to and including passports and money);. Failure of appliances when filters and tubes are clogged;. A foul odor when small debris (tissues, cigarettes, candy) settles in internal parts|
|Ignoring filter cleaning||– Lack of periodic rinsing of drain and inlet filters responsible for preventing odour and breakage||– Delay and accumulation of large particles such as hair, dust, garbage in clogged filters;. Appearance of unpleasant smell|
|Use of hard water||– Unwillingness to use special agents to soften water, clean hoses, drain holes||– scale formation on the electric tube heater (heating element);. scale formation due to salt deposits from the central water supply, sticking lint;. scale formation from detergent residues, small debris;. settling a large amount of dirt|
|Leaving the centrifuge wet||– Unwillingness to wipe dry the rubber seal and tray, wash the powder collector||– Germination of mold and mildew due to constant humidity|
“Favourite areas for bacteria
To eliminate the unpleasant smell in the washing machine, you should know the places where the smell comes from. Bacteria, fungi, molds are active in certain parts of the machine. Usually these are hard to reach places, folds, narrow crevices. When checking and cleaning appliances, you should pay attention to the “favorite” places of microorganisms:
- the detergent dispenser (pull-out tubs);
- The channel behind the receiver that allows access to the inside of the powder and conditioner;
- The rubber lining around the door;
- Filters. for water inlet and outlet;
- Drain hose;
- heating tube.
How to get rid of odor in the washing machine with citric acid
One of the causes of undesirable formations on the parts of the washing machine and the appearance of extraneous odors in it is poor water quality and lack of filtration system of water supply at home. Limescale and scale appears on the elements due to contamination and high water hardness.
Bacteria begin to develop in such deposits, resulting in a disgusting smell of the machine.
How to get rid of odor in a washing machine and clean the heater from the limescale without hiring a master?
Citric acid, which is also used for preventive purposes, can help to solve this problem. Cleaning is performed as follows:
- Pour citric acid (30-50 grams) into the powder tray. For greater efficiency, the same amount of agent is added to the machine drum.
- Set the washing mode with the highest temperature, which is provided for a particular model.
- The washing cycle is started.
This procedure will not only get rid of plaque and deposits, but also remove odors. And regular treatment of the machine with citric acid will help to avoid such problems in the future.