If the glass-ceramic hob cracked
Let’s understand the causes of damage and what to do if the hob breaks.
Why is the cooktop glass cracked
Manufacturers claim: glass ceramic hob can withstand loads up to 25 kg per cm
But this does not mean that you should not be careful when handling it. The rules for using such devices are set out in the manual. Their non-compliance leads to breakage. In order not to crack the cooktop made of glass ceramic, you can not:
- drop heavy objects on the surface. pots, pans (sometimes for the chipping is enough a knife dropped vertically with the tip down);
- turn on several burners at full power at the same time;
- Keep heating for a long time;
- pour cold water on a hot stove (this does not apply to small splashes);
- sprinkle sugar on it, which will quickly melt. after cleaning the surface will appear small damages in the material, they easily cause cracks;
- put the pan on a non-cleaned surface, if it sticks, it will come off together with a part of the glass panel;
- leave unattended boiling sugar syrup, and even more so. jam, if they overflow over the edge, it is impossible to remove them without micro-injuries to the panel;
- cook food in aluminum cookware, with a flat or concave, but not convex bottom;
- use abrasive materials for maintenance, they scratch the surface, microcracks are formed. the cause of serious damage;
- Using hard sponges for cleaning. scrapers and glass ceramic sponges are required.
But even if you don’t do all this, cracks are inevitable when the vitrified clay cooktop is initially installed incorrectly: stacked against the edges. During expansion caused by heat, stress is built up in the material and the resulting crack.
If the hob glass is cracked, you can determine the cause by the nature of the damage:
- when hit, the cracks are branched, with lintels;
- when overheated, they appear in the working area, going to the edges;
- From improper installation cracks the center.
Damage to the panel can be different: a small chip in a corner or a crack that crosses the entire surface with the rays branching. But regardless of their size, it is dangerous to cook on it:
How to fix a small glass crack in an induction cooker
- the work of the stove is disrupted;
- heat escapes through the cracks;
- The size of the cracks increases;
- There is a danger of electric shock, especially if you touch the wet pan with your hands.
Regardless of the size of the damage, you can not use the stove.
If the hob breaks, what to do in this case? Options for further action only 2: replace the panel with a new, repair damage. The choice is determined by the size of the crack and the skills of the owner. There is a third option. gentle: replacement of the panel, and sometimes the stove in the service center at the expense of the manufacturer, if the warranty is still valid. This is possible when the cause is a factory defect. If the cracked glass ceramic cooking surface due to improper use of the stove, you will have to pay for its replacement.
Fixing a chipped cooktop
Even small scratches can become a huge problem: the glass ceramic surface is cracked. It is possible to remove the smallest damage in two ways:
- a paste-like mixture of soda and water is covered with a soft cloth, by movements in a circle polish the surface with the means, all that remains is removed with a dry towel;
- with a composition designed for polishing surfaces made of metal, cover a cotton swab and wipe the top of the plate, remove the remains with a paper napkin.
Before using the product, you need to test its action on a small area. If everything is in order, proceed to remove the micro-damage.
And what can be done if the cooking surface cracked, affecting the working area? The best option is to call for help from a specialist. If you have skills in working with glass and glue, you can repair the damage yourself. The main requirement for the materials used is resistance to high temperature. Will need:
- glue. silicate, Cosmophen (if the place of damage is not heated above 50 degrees) or cyanoacrylate;
- pieces of glass 4-5×9 cm in size;
- epoxy resin;
- an aluminum plate the size of the crack
- rubber spatula;
- alcohol, gasoline or acetone for degreasing.
- Disconnect the stove from the power supply.
- The panel is removed.
- Repair begins with a thorough degreasing.
- Lubricate the crack with glue.
- Reinforce the surfaces around the perimeter (but not under the burners) pieces of glass, planting them on silicone.
- If there are not enough vitrified clay elements, the empty spaces are filled with epoxy resin.
- The place of the chip is reinforced with a prepared aluminum plate, gluing it under the crack.
When the resin and glue set, the panel is put back in place.
Formation and elimination of chipped cooktop
Cooking hobs, which are now successfully entered into the kitchens of homeowners, can have different surfaces. They are made of aluminum, stainless steel, vitrified clay or enameled. Each of the coatings has its pluses and, unfortunately, minuses. For example, durability.
If the surfaces of stainless steel and aluminum are not afraid of sharp mechanical impacts, the enamel and glass ceramic is the weak point of impact, to break the cooking surfaces of this type is easy.
A step by step guide with descriptions and diagrams: how to glue the cooktop yourself
If there is a crack on the cooktop, over time it will grow and break. This is dangerous for the user. there is a risk of electric shock. The most reliable way to fix the situation is to replace the damaged surface with a new one. The price for such a service including spare parts is about 50% of the cost of a new household appliance.
In order to save money, some users decide to repair the cooktop themselves. To do this, they use a material that can hold the glass ceramic, not allowing cracks to increase, resistant to high temperatures.
The most common option is considered a silicate (stationery) glue. It is used along the entire length of the crack, adding pieces of ordinary glass. When a chipped piece is missing, epoxy resin is used. The design turns out to be reliable, but it looks unaesthetic.
To repair the panel, the following tools and materials are required:
- silicate glue;
- Rectangular pieces of glass (approximately 4×9 cm);
- epoxy resin;
- rubber spatula;
- Plate made of aluminum, the size depends on the size of the crack.
- The stove is unplugged and allowed to cool.
- The panel is removed and wiped with a degreasing agent.
- The entire length of the crack is smeared with a silicate glue.
- Reinforcing elements are glued to the places where there are no burners. Pieces of glass are attached to silicone to give the structure rigidity.
- Pour epoxy in place of the missing piece of glass ceramic, smoothing it out with a rubber spatula.
- Under the cracked surface glued aluminum plate.
This is interesting:
How to choose between a cooktop and a gas stove.
Tools for washing and cleaning the glass cooktop.
Step by step guide: how to glue independently a stove hob, on which there is a crack or a chip.
Order of work:
The aluminum plate underneath the chipped plate
The use of pots with thick or uneven bottoms or aluminum cookware not only reduces the efficiency of the glass ceramic hob, but can also cause noticeable marks on its surface. In addition, melted plastic and sugar can ruin the appearance of the product.
Manufacturers advise to observe a number of rules when using the glass surface: you can not cook food on the broken panels; it is forbidden to touch metal dishes with wet hands; the surface must be cleaned with special agents, in order to avoid damage.
- Cyanoacrylate (superglue). will not work for us in any way, because the maximum temperature of use is 80 degrees
- Epoxy resin
- Silicate glue (office supplies, liquid glass)
- Silicone sealant. temperature up to 200 degrees.
- First you need to apply a small amount of paste to the device itself;
- After that you start the polishing process with a cloth or cotton pad. You need to move in circles around the device, carefully passing the place of the scratch itself;
- After that it is necessary to clean the screen from the paste.
What to do if you break the hob?
Many modern kitchens are equipped with hobs, which are not inferior to the technical characteristics of conventional gas and electric stoves, and their range allows you to fit harmoniously into any design of kitchen sets.
The materials from which the panels are made are an important element in the kitchen. They depend on the functionality of household appliances and ease of use.
Another advantage of the hob is considered a rational use of space. The modern market offers many options for devices. They differ in their functions, materials of manufacture and design, and also have their disadvantages and advantages.
Material such as glass is used on gas, electric and induction hobs. It costs more than enameled surfaces, but the price is justified.
- Smooth and even surface;
- The food is cooked quickly because the plate heats up only in the place where it is needed at that moment;
- easy to clean. fresh stains can be removed with a regular sponge, and old and serious dirt can be cleaned with special scrapers;
- A large range of colors, as well as various designs tempt potential customers.
However, this technique is quite fragile. If you drop an object weighing two kilograms or any sharp object on the hob, it can crack or split. Therefore, in order not to break the panel, it is necessary to look after it carefully and attentively.
Fans of gas stoves, when they decide to buy a hob, but leave the gas, face the choice: tempered glass or glass ceramic.
In fact, it makes no difference, because only the burner gets hot. It is possible to break both, but the glass ceramic will break into pieces, while the tempered glass will be covered with cracks.
Electric cooktops do not use tempered glass, which heats completely, but the maximum temperature it can withstand is lower than the maximum heat.
Ceramic glass can withstand twice the temperature of tempered glass.
The positive and negative characteristics of glass ceramic are as follows:
- durable than tempered glass;
- is well able to withstand temperature fluctuations;
- it has a high heat resistance;
- Is afraid of pitting shocks;
- a special cookware with a flat bottom is needed;
- Ceramic glass hob is more expensive than tempered glass.
Advantages and disadvantages of tempered glass:
If you choose a panel for a gas stove, the experts are inclined to tempered glass, as it is a budget option, visually does not differ from ceramic glass. Sufficient mechanical properties for full performance.
Breaks in the cooktop are preceded by various factors.
- Strong and sharp impact on the surface, such as a pot. A hole appears in the center, from which cracks form later.
- At full power were turned on all burners, as a result of which the glass burst. A specific sound appears, cracks begin to spread on the sides.
- The hob is not installed correctly. Under the influence of a powerful voltage cooker hob “parted”.
- The surface can be damaged point by point, such as dropping a knife.
- Cookware stuck to the panel. Cooking jam, for example, causes it to run out and slide under the pan which is stuck. Cookware breaks off, usually with glass.
- Temperature fluctuations negatively affect the glass.
- Heated sugar, once on the panel, gets into the structure of the material. Cleaning the surface leads to damage, in particular to chips.
Cracks on the cooking surface. this is the most popular variant of breakage. Strokes or improper cleaning of the cooking plates can be the cause of this defect.
If the surface is cracked, it can be replaced. Consider the process of replacing the cooktop.
- It is necessary to contact the service center for repair of household appliances. It is important to confirm the fact that the organization has access to the official manufacturer, because the panels are not sold freely.
- The equipment is diagnosed by a service center specialist. The damage is assessed.
- It takes a few hours to replace glass. At first it seems that to change the glass. it is easy, but for quality replacement requires special skills and branded tools.
- Checking the work of the cooking surface.
The price of the service depends on the cost of services and of spare parts. As written by experts and ordinary people, the amount is approximately 50% of the cost of a new similar technique.
- Based on the above, most people have a need to do the repair themselves.
- We solve the problem at home
- If the glass ceramic is cracked, it can be sealed with glue.
The most common options are silicate glue, ordinary office supplies. It should be used along the entire length of the crack, add pieces of ordinary glass to it.
Where a piece is missing, you can pour epoxy resin. This option is notable for its reliability, but the design does not look aesthetically pleasing. The authors of such an invention do not give any guarantees.
We would like to note that the repair of household appliances should be carried out by specialists from service centers. It is safe and secure for the owner of the hob.
The basic rules that manufacturers recommend to follow include the following points:
- it is impossible to cook food on the bursting panels;
- Do not touch metal dishes with wet hands;
- The surface should be cleaned with special agents.
Tips for caring for your cooktop can be found in the video below.
What to do if the hob cracked
Today glass ceramic cooktops are replacing conventional cooktops due to their many advantages: ease of cleaning, heat indication of the cooktop, power. There are almost no problems with them, but with strong impacts or excessive heat exposure, cracks can appear on them.
And if some people are lucky and they only have a small crack in the corner of the surface, others may have a defect covering the entire cooking area.