Whirlpool automatic vertical washer writes clean the pump how to do it
If you use your Whirlpool washing machine often, the pump can get clogged. If you do not take immediate action, sooner or later there will be more serious problems with the pump, and it will break down at all. To avoid this, let’s figure out how to clean the drain pump in the washing machine.
If there are problems with the pump, there will be a number of characteristic signs by which you can easily determine that the pump is defective. Among them:
- buzzing and hissing when draining water after washing;
- The water takes a very long time to drain with difficulty;
- Sometimes the water won’t drain at all if the pump is clogged too badly.
What caused the appearance of such “symptoms” in your washing machine? We’ve already figured out that a clogged pump is to blame, but why does it occur? The fact is that the drain path must be periodically cleaned, and if this is not done, all the debris that gets there during the washing of clothes (hair, dust, threads) or from the drain pipe gradually clogs the pump. Also, some cheap detergents are poorly soluble, and the sludge that forms after using them also stays in the tract. This is what leads to malfunctions later on.
Prepare the machine for repair
So, open the manual and take a close look at where the Whirlpool washing machine pump is, so you don’t spend a lot of time looking for it or damage other parts. If you are sure you have the problem, have two kinds of screwdrivers ready, a flathead screwdriver and a Phillips head screwdriver, a wrench and a flatware of some kind. The container is needed to ensure that the water from the pump does not spill on the floor. Disconnect the appliance from the electricity and water supply first, for your own safety, to avoid any unexpected problems.
Before dismantling the pump, clean the filter and drain the remaining water.
Now you can proceed directly to the dismantling. Open the small door on the plinth panel of the washer (it is at the bottom front). That’s where the filter is located. With careful movements counterclockwise unscrew it. Depending on the model, the filter may still be secured with an additional bolt. Then unscrew it with a screwdriver!
Let’s prepare the machine for repair
So, open the manual and take a close look at where the Whirlpool washing machine pump is, so as not to spend a lot of time looking for it and not to damage other parts. If you are sure you have figured it out, prepare two kinds of screwdrivers: flat and Phillips, as well as a wrench and some flatware. A container is needed so that the water from the pump does not run onto the floor. First of all, disconnect the machine from the mains and the water supply for your own safety to avoid unforeseen problems.
Before dismantling the pump, clean the filter and drain any remaining water.
Now you can proceed directly to the dismantling. Open the small door on the plinth panel of the washing machine (it is at the bottom front). That’s where the filter is located. Carefully unscrew it in a counterclockwise direction. Depending on the model, the filter may also be secured with an additional bolt. Then unscrew it with a screwdriver!
Clean the pump
The pump is at the bottom of the machine, we can say at the bottom. Sometimes the bottom of the machine is not covered with anything, and sometimes manufacturers attach an additional panel there. To get to the pump, you have to remove it. You can also put the machine in a comfortable position for you to freely interact with the contents of its lower part.
When you see where the pump is, loosen the hose clamps and free the pump from them. You need to remove everything that holds it in the car: bolts, clamps, fasteners. When it is done, take the pump out and proceed to clean it.
The pump structure consists of two parts: the so-called volute and the pump itself with the impeller. In order to clean it, the construction will need to be disassembled, but it is not difficult: unscrew a few screws that connect the parts. You can now take a closer look at the impeller. Usually, this is where the problem lies: all the debris winds up on it and prevents the pump from working properly. Remove the debris from it, reassemble the pump and put it back in place.
Place the machine in its original position, connect to all communications and run the wash to see how the water drains out. If all is well, you have solved it. If the problem persists, then you need to change the pump: it is out of order. Here are some simple rules to avoid premature pump failure.
- Use special detergents for washing machines.
- Do not wash clothes with lots of decorations in non-designated machines.
- Carry out periodic cleaning.
That’s it! In fact, maintaining the condition of your home helper is not that difficult, you just need to do it regularly, otherwise you’ll have worse problems!
Principle of operation
Whirlpool washing machine pump functions as follows:
- The control module signals the pump to come on. The signal is transmitted by wires.
- The pump is activated by starting the rotation of the impeller, due to which the water begins to be pumped out of the tank.
- Liquid will overflow into the strainer through the inlet pipe and then into the impeller and then into the drain pipe and hose. It goes into the sewage pipe.
- The pump continues to run until it receives a “Stop” signal from the control module. It will happen at the moment when there is no water left in the tank.
The entire process is interconnected. If one of the elements fails, the system stops functioning as a whole. Particular attention should be paid to the filter, which must be kept clean.
If it is clogged, it affects the functionality of the pump. The motor will work too hard and may burn out.
Where it is located?
In a Whirlpool washing machine, the pump is located inside the housing, in the bottom, just under the tank. You can see it by twisting the back wall. However, to remove the part you will need to turn the appliance on its side, as it is most convenient to get to the pump from the bottom of the washing machine.
If it is necessary to remove the pump, firstly the clamps securing the nipples must be loosened, after which the cables leading to the control board must be disconnected. For fixation of the part inside the device are responsible for the screws, which must be twisted.
How to clean the pump in the washing machine
Sometimes housewives notice that the washed laundry is dirty or the machine suddenly stops working. This can be caused by a power outage in the house, a program failure. But more often the cause of malfunction is a clogged pump, through which the water is flushed out of the appliance.
The main signs that the pump is clogged
The first thing that happens to the washing machine when the drain filter is clogged. when washing, water is very slowly fed into the drum, sometimes it is not pumped at all by the appliance.
The second sign of malfunction. extraneous, buzzing sounds, sometimes a deafening hum, coming from the machine while drawing water for washing or rinsing. Also there is no discharge of dirty water, it does not come out.
Important! There are other reasons water will not drain. the drain hose is caught or laundry blocked the drain hole in the bottom of the centrifuge tank.
Do the types of pumps differ depending on the brand of washing machine (whirlpool, indesit, LG)
In washing machines, manufacturers use two types of pumps. simple and circulating. The first is found in older models or budget versions (Deu). Circulation type of pump is installed in most units of popular brands. whirlpool, indesit, LG. The only nuance is the location of the pump.
In washing machines Samsung, Ariston, Candy, Ardo, LG, Whirpool, Indesit, it is enough to turn the device (“lay” on the side panel), unscrew a few screws and remove the back cover. Firms Siemens, Bosch made it difficult to dismantle the drain pump and replace it with a new one. To carry out the procedure, it is necessary to remove not only the back panel, but also the front, as well as the control panel.
What steps you need to take to remove the pump through the bottom of the device
The location of the pump in the washing machine is indicated by the position of the drain hose. In most models of Indesit washing machines, the pump is located at the bottom of the appliance.
If it comes out of the bottom, then you need to remove the bottom panel to clean the part. For this purpose it is necessary to disconnect the device from a network of power supply, to lay it on a side, to remove a cover from the bottom.
Then loosen the plastic drain pipe clamp with pliers and take it out of the rubber branch pipe. Then loosen the clamp securing the branch pipe to the pump chamber, disconnect the branch pipe from the socket.
Then it is necessary to loosen the clamp, disconnect the plastic tube of the pressure system and the branch pipe connector. The next step is to loosen the clamp securing the nozzle to the tank. In parallel with loosening it is necessary to unscrew the tension screw. Completes the process of disconnecting the spigot from the tank.
Reference! Performing cleaning of the drain pump it is necessary to check the condition of the rubber gaskets. If they are loose, have a damaged structure, then they will need to be replaced to avoid breakage.
How to remove the pump through the facade
In the models by manufacturers AEG, Bosch, Siemens, access to the pump is located in the front, on the front. behind the tank for detergents. To get to the pump, you need to remove the tray, then unscrew the screw that is under it. Next, you need to drain the remaining water through the filter located at the bottom of the unit, after which you must remove the pump for further cleaning.
How to Remove the Pump Through the Back of the Washing Machine
Behind the back of the drain pump is located in the washing machines brands Zanussi, Electrolux. To remove the pump you will need tools: flat and Phillips screwdriver, wrench, bowl or bucket to drain the water. Next you need to follow the instructions:
- Disconnect the unit from the power supply, cut off the water access.
- Disconnect the drain hose.
- Turn the machine so that it is on the side, remove the panel using screwdrivers.
- Drain the remaining water into a container, turning the machine slightly on its side.
After that you need to unscrew the pump, disconnect the sockets from the drain hose and filter. The final stage is to clean the pump.
How to clean the pump
Fine debris (lint, foreign objects) clogs the pump impeller, it is this that must be removed to clean the parts. This is done as follows:
- Unscrew the self-tapping screws that connect the two parts of the pump body.
- Remove debris.
- Clean the volute inside.
- Connect the parts.
To test the functionality of the washing machine after cleaning the pump, you need to run the device in test mode after assembling the parts. without laundry and detergent.
To protect the washing machine from breakdowns, in particular. from clogging the pump (drainage pump) can. To do this, you need to adhere to the following recommendations:
- Carefully check your s before washing for foreign objects (e.g., small money, metal or plastic objects). These parts can damage the inside of the pump or block the opening of the drain hose.
- Soften the washing water. Synthetic agents (Calgon, Uplon, Kupava) and special filters can help. The former remove the scale formed by small particles of salts and metals (hard water constituents), and the filters do not allow these particles to penetrate the washing machine.
- Do not overload the appliance (load into the drum only the amount of dirty laundry recommended by the manufacturer).
Protect the machine from this kind of failure will also help regular cleaning of the filter, which is located between the pump and the drain hose. By following these rules, you can protect the appliance from damage.
Where to go for help if you can’t do the cleaning yourself
At home to fix the washing machine is worth it when at hand there is a detailed instruction. Without having basic knowledge in the field of repair of household appliances (the ability to remove the panel, unscrew or tighten screws) is better not to perform repairs at home. If you can not clean or replace the drain pump yourself, you can ask for help from professionals. a service center of the manufacturer or a master repairman of household appliances.
How to clean the pump in a washing machine Whirlpool
If you use your Whirlpool washing machine frequently, it may have a clogged pump. If you do not take emergency measures, sooner or later with the pump will begin more serious problems, and it will break down at all. To avoid this, let’s figure out how to clean the drain pump in your washing machine.
How to understand that the problem is in the pump?
If there are problems with the pump, there will be a number of telltale signs that you can easily tell if the pump is faulty. Among them:
- Whirring and hissing during water drainage after washing;
- The water drains for a very long time with difficulty;
- Sometimes the water does not drain at all if the pump is very clogged.
What caused the appearance of such “symptoms” in your washing machine? We have already realized that a clogged pump is to blame for everything, but why does it happen? The fact that the drainage path must be periodically cleaned, and if you do not do this, all the debris that gets there during the washing of clothes (hair, dust, threads) or from the drain pipe gradually clogs the pump. Also, some cheap detergents are poorly soluble, and the sludge that forms after using them also remains in the tract. This is what leads to malfunctions later on.
Preparing the machine for repair
So, open the manual and take a close look at where the Whirlpool washing machine pump is, so as not to spend a lot of time looking for it and not to damage other parts. If you are sure you figured it out, have two kinds of screwdrivers: flat and Phillips, as well as a wrench and some flat container. The container is needed to ensure that the water from the pump does not pour on the floor. Disconnect the appliance from the electricity supply and water mains first of all for your own safety to avoid unforeseen problems.
Before dismantling the pump, clean the filter and drain off the rest of the water.
Now you can proceed directly to the dismantling. Open the small door on the plinth panel of the washer (it is at the bottom front). There is a filter. Carefully unscrew it in a counterclockwise motion. Depending on the model, the filter can also be attached with an extra screw. Then unscrew it with a screwdriver!
Clean the pump
The pump is at the bottom of the machine, you could say at the bottom. Sometimes the bottom of the machine is not covered with anything, and sometimes manufacturers attach an additional panel there. To get to the pump, you need to remove it. You can also put the machine in a comfortable position for you to freely interact with the contents of its lower part.
When you see where the pump is, loosen the hose clamps and free the pump from them. It is necessary to remove everything that holds it in the car: bolts, clamps, fasteners. When the job is done, take out the pump and start cleaning.
The pump is made of two parts: the so-called volute and the pump itself with an impeller. In order to clean it, the construction will need to be disassembled, but it is not complicated at all: unscrew a few screws that connect the parts. Now you can take a closer look at the impeller. This is usually where the problem is: all the debris gets wrapped around it and prevents the pump from working properly when it’s running. Remove the debris from it, reassemble the pump and put it back.
Set the machine in its original position, connect to all communications and run the washing to see how the water drains. If all is well, you’ve done it. If the problem persists, then the pump needs to be replaced: it is out of order. Here are some simple rules to avoid premature pump failure.
- Use special detergents for washing machines.
- Don’t wash clothes with lots of décor on them in unintended washers.
- Periodic cleaning.
That’s it! In fact, it is not so difficult to maintain the condition of your home helper, it just needs to be done regularly, otherwise there will be worse problems!
How to get to the drain pump
To clean the drain pump, you need to get to it, as it is located inside the machine housing, this will require:
Pay Attention! Study the manual that came with the washing machine to understand where the drain pump is located. Then you won’t have to act randomly. In washing machines, produced under different brands, to get to the drain pump will have different
Manufacturers of brands Beko, Indesit, Samsung, LG, Ardo, Whirpool, Candy, Ariston most simplified this process. In their machines, you can get to the pump through the bottom of the housing, as the lower part may be missing or easily unscrewed. Many Indesit washing machine models are good examples in this regard
In washing machines, produced under different brands, to get to the drain pump will have different ways. Manufacturers of brands Beko, Indesit, Samsung, LG, Ardo, Whirpool, Candy, Ariston have simplified this process. In their machines to get to the pump can be through the bottom of the case, as the lower part may be missing or easily unscrewed. A good example in this regard can be considered many models of Indesit washing machines.
Important! Before attempting any work on the washing machine, do not forget to disconnect it from the mains and turn off the water tap. So, let’s perform the actions:. So, proceed as follows:
At the bottom of the washing machine find the panel and with a flat screwdriver open it, in some models there is a special door. Unscrew the screw that holds the drain filter in the body of the machine
Tilt the machine slightly backwards and put the container under the water
Carefully counterclockwise unscrew the drain filter cover to empty the water remaining inside. Now, turn the pump counter-clockwise to recess it into the body of the washing machine and gently pull it out through the bottom of the machine
For your convenience, the machine can be placed on its left side (when viewed from the side of the door). Carefully disconnect wires and, having loosened collars (clamps), remove pipes.
To solve the problem, how to remove the drain pump in machines under the brands AEG, Bosch, Siemens, it is necessary to dismantle the front of the body of the machine, which, as a rule, is fixed with three screws. In this case, you need to perform the following sequence of actions:
- Take the powder tray out of the machine.
- Remove the screw located underneath
- Open the access door to the drain filter on the underside of the machine.
- Unscrew the screw holding the panel and remove the panel itself.
- Find the two screws and unscrew them.
- Now remove the clamp from the hatch and disconnect the collar from the front housing.
- Disconnect the hatch locking device (you have to unfasten the clamps).
- Let’s take off the front part of the body.
Cover removed, now we can get to the pump. To do this:
- Unscrew the self-tapping screw.
- Place a container under the machine for water.
- Disconnect the hose clamp and remove the spigot.
- Drain the water.
- Disconnect the electrical wires.
Solving the question of how to remove the pump from the washing machine brand Zanussi or Electrolux, you must first remove the back of the housing of the machine. Proceed as follows:
- Disconnect the drain hose, mounted on the clips, which will have to unscrew.
- Using a suitable screwdriver unscrew only the screws around the perimeter of the cover that hold it.
- Remove the cover.
- Disconnect terminals with electrical wires.
- Unscrew the drain pump using a wrench
- Disconnect the pipes from the drain hose and from the drain filter
- Now you can clean the pump.
Important! When disassembling the washing machine for the first time, take pictures of each step when you disconnect something, photos will help to reassemble the machine in its original state
The device of Indesit washing machine pump
What is the drain system?
Used water from the drum flows through a short pipe to the drain pump. After receiving a signal from the electronics, the pump presses the water into the discharge pipe and then the water flows into the sewer. As soon as the tank is emptied of water, the drain pump is turned off.
This entire system is fixed to the volute, so called the distributor, which is shaped like it. A huge load affects the pump, especially in the spin mode. A filter is included in the drain system and it plays a huge role in the washing process. The water from the tank falls into the filter, which is a grid through which large debris must not seep: coins, pins, buttons, etc.д. This is what saves the pump from premature failure due to clogging.
The filter is clogged
The most common cause is a faulty drainage system. To remove it, you just need to clean the pump, the drain filter and the volute. How to do it?
- Turning off the power to the washer-dryer.
- There is a small door at the bottom which houses the drain filter. Before you start unscrewing it, you need to put a low container or lean the machine back and put a basin, for example. Liquid flowing out is usually no less than 1 liter.
- Unscrew the filter counterclockwise.
- Stage of cleaning and rinsing under a strong head of running water.
- Reassemble and start test wash.
If the drain still does not work after that? So we move on to the pump.
Damage to the pump
The rule of thumb for de-energizing and shutting off the water is imperative!
Before you get to the pump and check its functionality, you will need to get inside the washing machine. Equipped with a wrench and screwdriver you must first study the instruction manual of the appliance. This is done in order to find out where the pump for Indesit washing machine and other models is located, since depending on the model, its locations are different.
How to clean the pump
In the process of washing, debris gets inside the pump. It can be any small objects from clothing: buttons, buttons, or lint. The clogged cavity must be cleaned and the debris shaken out. The body of the pump mechanism is connected by screws, which are unscrewed in advance. When the blockage is removed, the parts are put back in their place.
To check the performance of the automatic washing machine and make sure that the pump is now in order, the appliance is plugged in and run the empty drum idly, without adding detergent.
Disassembling the front of the appliance
To reach the drain pump of AEG, Bosch, Siemens brands is possible only by removing the front panel. This is a little more complicated, proceed in sequence:
- Remove the top cover from the case. To do this, unscrew the two screws on the back and slide the cover in the opposite direction from yourself.
- The control panel should now be removed.
- Pull out the detergent dispenser tray by pressing the catch in the center.
- Unscrew the two screws behind the dispenser and one on the opposite side.
- Unfasten the latches and remove the panel from the case.
- It is not necessary to disconnect the control module wiring, you can put the panel on top of the enclosure.
- Next you need to remove the plinth panel.
- Now open the hatch door. Remove the two screws that hold the UBL lock and remove the collar clamp.
- It remains to unscrew the screws around the perimeter of the panel and remove it from the housing.
The process of removing the pump is the same as in the previous case.
Before disconnecting the nozzle and pump, place a container underneath as water may leak out.
Clean hose if completely clogged
In the case of a complete cessation of water removal from the washing machine, you will need a second method of cleaning, which will need to completely disconnect the hose from the washing machine. You will need the simplest tool for this. a flat or shaped screwdriver and pliers. The sequence of actions in this case is quite simple:
Disconnect the washing machine from the power supply. Shut off the water supply. Carefully disconnect the hose from the machine, first placing a container for draining the remaining water. After disconnecting the drain hose from the drain, clean it.
To de-energise the washing machine, simply pull the plug out of the socket. On the hose that supplies water from the water system, there is usually a tap, it should be closed. Basically, the drain hose is attached to the nipple, which is located on the back of the washing “unit”. Using a screwdriver or pliers, unclamp the retaining clamp and remove it. The washing machine for easy access and work with it preliminarily put on the side, laying under it a floor or other rag. Sometimes users do not connect the drain to the sewer, but simply place the other end of the drain hose into the bathtub or sink.
Cleaning should be carried out with a Kevlar rope, which has a small brush on the end, metal objects should not be cleaned. After cleaning the hose in one side, the operation should be carried out in the other, then rinse well under running hot water.
To be more certain that the hose will not have to be removed again, it is recommended to inspect the filter. It may also need to be inspected and cleaned.
Different manufacturers have their own case designs and filter mounts that will need to be accessed. Trademarks LG, Beko, new models Indesit, the bottom is closed with a lid, which can be easily removed with a flat screwdriver. Zanussi, Electrolux to access the filter you will need to remove the back panel. German manufacturers of washing machines. Bosch, Siemens, made a removable front panel. Then, depending on the design, the filter is removed. It is attached to the body with snaps or screwed (screw, self-tapping screws), sometimes screwed into the drainage pipe. You may need to remove the neck with which the drain hose is connected in order to disassemble it. The work must be carried out carefully, without damaging the gaskets and seals.
The filter should also be thoroughly cleaned and rinsed under running hot water. Then reassemble in the reverse order. Tighten all connections, especially the hose clamp. The pressure at the outlet of water is small, but still there is.
After the machine is assembled and connected to the power supply, it is desirable to wash it with a cleaning agent to completely remove small particles. In addition, the connections should be inspected for leaks, and if necessary, the clamp should be tightened.
As a preventive measure, once every 1-2 months it is desirable to do a machine wash from clogging and scale, in areas with high water hardness use agents to soften it. It is also recommended to use a special bag for washing.
During the automatic washing of laundry in the drain sometimes gets not only used water, but also garbage, items forgotten in the s
That is why it is important to regularly clean the system from clogs. How to clean the drain hose of a washing machine without resorting to the help of a master? The main thing is to know the sequence of actions, which we will tell you about
How to clean the drain pump in a washing machine: repair tips
The washing machine. an indispensable assistant for any housewife.
Helping a person to look flawless, sometimes the technique itself fails. And the absence of such a helper, leads to great inconvenience.
The sooner the problem is eliminated, the better. Otherwise you will have to deal with serious consequences.
How to clean the pump in the washing machine, let’s understand in this article.
The causes of pump malfunction
There are situations when during washing the machine begins to emit an incomprehensible buzzing, which was not there before. Or it simply can’t drain the water.
Probably there was a clog and you need to clean the drain pump of the washing machine.
Clog in the pump of the machine appears due to a large number of foreign objects, but there are also other causes of failure:
- An object that has fallen inside;
- Failure of the connection between the tank and the pump;
- Drain hose failure;
- Sewer clogs, restricted access to the passageway.
Despite these signs, when the water does not drain well, you need to clean the pump.
To carry out the cleaning procedure, you do not need special knowledge. It’s just worth knowing what types of clogs there are and how to remove them.
Types of clogs
There are two types of clogs that can put a drain out of order:
The first type occurs when small parts get inside, such as buttons, clasps, coins, which bounce off clothes during washing. They penetrate the hose and prevent water from running down. After which there is a failure of the entire system.
The second type of clogging consists of wool, fluff, hair, which accumulate in the filter, in consequence there is a breakdown.
It takes a few minutes to clean the washing machine pump filter, so do not forget about it.
The following standard set of tools will be required:
Determining the location of the pump
The next task will be to study the instruction manual of the washing machine. For what? To find out exactly where the right part stands for us.
Not all brands of washing machines, the pump is in one place. Therefore, you will have to act, depending on the brand, in different ways and with a special approach.
Pump location Indesit, Samsung, Beko, Ariston, Argo and LG
For example, cleaning the pump of a washing machine Indesit, Samsung, Beko, Ariston, Argo and LG will be much easier, as the part can be squeezed through the bottom of the housing. Some of them do not have one at all or can be removed without much effort.
- Through the special door, which can be unscrewed with a flat screwdriver, reach the screw holding the filter and unscrew it.
- Drain all the liquid into a prepared container. You only need to twist the filter clockwise to fully drain the liquid.
- After you have to scroll the filter counterclockwise, pushing inside and pull out through the bottom. The machine must be placed on its side beforehand.
- Disconnect everything (clamps, wires), pull out the pump.
Location of pumps in Bosch, Siemens
To get the pump for drainage in machines of the brands Bosch, Siemens, it is necessary to disassemble the front of the device:
- Remove the compartment designed for filling with detergents, remove the self-tapping screw.
- At the bottom remove and remove the self-tapping screw. Now you can remove the front panel too.
- After locating the panel inside the machine, unscrew additional screws, disconnect the cuff, remove the rubber band from the hatch, unclip the clamps.
- Remove the pump, drain the liquid, remove the remaining parts, including the hose.
Pump location of Electrolux, Zanussi
In washing machines Electrolux, Zanussi the pump is removed through the cover on the back:
- The clamps at the back of the appliance that hold the hose are unscrewed and the hose is removed.
- Remove self-tapping screws and panel.
- Disconnect the wires, remove the pump, disconnect all parts from it.
How to Clean a Pump in a Washing Machine
The task of cleaning the pump is to make the impeller work properly.
It is possible to get to it by removing a few screws and a part of the pump housing. In good condition, the impeller spins. Accordingly, it winds various elements of things on its body. It should be cleaned of accumulated debris (hair, threads, wool). All operations must be carried out carefully.
Now you can assemble the pump and install it back where you got it. All manipulations are performed in reverse order.
Whirlpool heat pump dryer cleaning inside. how to clean a dryer
The washing machine should be checked, run the wash in standard mode. Absence of abnormal noises and water draining without disturbances means that everything is done correctly and the part works properly.
If the measures taken do not lead to the desired result, the pump has to be replaced.
How to repair?
The pump can only be repaired if it can be dismantled. Then its components can be removed and replaced or cleaned:
- If the impeller is clogged, the pump is removed, the casing is opened and the obstruction to impeller rotation is removed. If the vane is broken, the impeller must be replaced completely.
- If the filter is clogged, you do not have to remove the pump. It is enough to remove the trim panel, take out the volute and wash it under running water. You can use a toothpick to remove small dirt and hair.
- If the motor breaks, it is twisted and a new part is installed.
Only original components should be used when replacing components.
Removal and Replacement
To remove and replace the pump in a Whirlpool washing machine, carry out the following steps:
The device is disconnected from the communications, moved away from the wall;
After replacing the pump, check that it operates correctly, without loading the laundry into the drum. To do this, select a brief washing program and monitor the correctness of its implementation. If the machine drains and does not leak, you can continue to operate it in the same mode.
How to Repair?
The pump can only be repaired if it is collapsible. Then its components can be removed and replaced or cleaned:
- If the impeller is clogged, the pump is removed, open the housing and remove the objects that prevent its normal rotation. If the blade is broken, the impeller is replaced completely.
- No need to remove pump if filter is clogged. It is sufficient to remove the bezel, take out the volute and rinse under running water. To remove small dirt and hair you can use a toothpick.
- If the motor is broken, it is twisted and a new part is installed.
Only original parts should be used when replacing components.
Whirlpool washer Drain pump cleaning
How often should the Whirlpool drain filter be cleaned
The need to clean the filter may also be indicated by problems in the operation of the washing machine:
- The machine has started to drain water poorly or does not drain at all, even forcedly;
- the drain seems to work, but the laundry is poorly spins, a second spin may work well or may be ineffective;
- Washing stops abruptly in the middle of a cycle and does not resume;
- rinse and / or spin programs do not start.
The most precise recommendations on how often to clean the filter of your Whirlpool washing machine can be found in the instructions for your machine. There is also a procedure for the procedure. But you can use our recommendations. We tried to describe everything in as much detail as possible.
Where is the drain filter of the washing machine Whirlpool
All washing machines have filters located near the drain pump. This is the place at the bottom of the cabinet (regardless of the type of laundry loading. front or vertical), usually diagonally from the powder tray. There you can see a small hatch or a small removable panel, behind which the drain filter is hidden.
Normally it is very easy to reach. But each brand (and sometimes individual models of washing machines) has a slightly different design and location of the drain filter.
Check out the summary chart to see where your washing machine’s drain filter is located:
|Washing machine brand||Location of the drain filter||Photo by|
|LG||Behind the door, on the left or right side of the cabinet|
|Indesit, Ariston, Ardo, Hotpoint Ariston||On the right side of the case, behind the removable panel|
|Candy||Behind the small door on the left or right|
|Bosch, Siemens, AEG||Behind the faceplate, on the right side of the cabinet|
|Samsung||In the right bottom corner of the body, covered with a manhole or a decorative panel|
|Electrolux, Zanussi with front loading||On the right-hand side, behind the plastic door; some models are on the back of the cabinet|
|Electrolux, Zanussi with a vertical load||In the drum of the washing machine, built into its edge (the filter must be taken out from inside)|
|Whirlpool with a vertical load (and many other washing machines of this type)||On the bottom, on the left, behind the small hatch|
|Atlant||On the right, at the bottom of the case, behind the small hatch|
|Some brands of small washing machines with a load capacity of up to 3.5 kg||No drain filter|
Cleaning the Whirlpool drain filter step by step
- Prepare a large cloth that absorbs moisture well. If you can lift the washing machine, take a low flat basin. in it you will pour out the water that remained in the drain system. You will not get much water (up to 0,5 l).
- Unplug the washing machine.
- Turn off the water tap.
- Once you’ve determined where the drain filter on your Whirlpool washing machine is located, open access to it. Remove the hatch (decorative panel). Pull it toward you, and if it fails, try sliding it from right to left. The cover may be easy to open by hand, but sometimes the latches hold tight. In this case you will have to use a screwdriver or a knife. Be careful not to damage the delicate plastic! Gently pry open the cover and pull it aside.
- Place a cloth on the floor under the filter or place a prepared container by raising the housing of the machine. Many models of washing machines have a special emergency hose for draining residual water. It’s near the drain filter and covered with a plug. The hose should be taken out of the mount, opened and lowered into the container. When the water flows out, it must be closed and reinstalled. After such a drain there will still be some water in the filter, so do not remove the rag.
- Take out the drain filter. To avoid flooding the floor, do it gradually. first unscrew the part a quarter turn and let the liquid drain off. Next, unscrew the assembly completely and pull it out. Interestingly, some models of washing machines have a plug in front of the filter itself. Unscrew it and let the water drain, then remove the filter.
- Thoroughly clean the removed filter. Remove any coarse debris, then wipe off the plaque with the abrasive side of a clean kitchen sponge. Rinse the part under the faucet with clean, warm (not hot) water!) with water. Do not use detergents. Cleaning chemicals as well as hot water can damage the plastic and rubber gasket of the filter.
- Clean the filter opening and drain pump in the washing machine. Remove any remaining debris and wipe accessible surfaces with a damp sponge. Look inside the drain pump (better to shine a flashlight there). If there is debris, threads wrapped around the impeller, they must be carefully removed. Also try the spinning impeller of the pump. It should twist easily. when the blades are stuck, it may mean that there is still a clog in the pump. Try to gently remove it yourself, and if you can’t, contact a Whirlpool repair technician.
- Reinstall the cleaned filter. Make sure it sits flat and tight. Do not over tighten the plug so as not to damage the threads of the soft plastic.
- Be sure to check how the machine works after cleaning. Turn it on, open the water and run a short rinse cycle. You need to make sure there is no water leakage near the filter. If it starts to drip or even individual droplets around it, you’ll have to deal with the problem (how exactly. read below).
- After checking that there are no leaks around the attached filter, close the filter with the decorative flap (panel). Now the machine can be put in place, connected and used.