How and How to CLEAN a Washing Machine from Dirt and Scale at Home? 8 folk ways
If you find that your machine and washed items smell foul and wet instead of fresh, it means that your washing machine needs to be cleaned. And the sooner you deal with it, the more chances that the machine will not break, you will not have to replace expensive parts and spend money to call a specialist. There are many ways to get rid of dirt, limescale and unpleasant odor. To remove limescale and mold, there are several quite effective methods using improvised means, which are easy to find in any kitchen.
Cleaning with baking soda
To eliminate dirt and mold in the washing machine there are many special means. If you do not have it on hand, you can use baking soda.
Dilute baking soda with water in the ratio of 1:1 and mix thoroughly. Then put on rubber gloves, apply the resulting paste on a sponge and treat the soiled surface. Then rinse the paste thoroughly and turn on the machine in rinse mode.
Cleaning with baking soda and citric acid
Washing with baking soda and citric acid
Plaque and scale form on the tank and heating element for a number of reasons:
- tap water with a lot of impurities;
- washing powders with chemical additives;
- frequent use of appliances in intensive washing mode.
Warning! Scale should be removed in time, as it can lead not only to extraneous odors, but also to a breakdown of the heating element.
Soda combined with citric acid is excellent for dealing with limescale build-up on internal surfaces. For this 3 teaspoons of baking soda and 150 g. stir up the citric acid and pour it into the pre-cleaned detergent tray. Then turn on an empty machine (preferably choose the program with the highest temperature), and after the end of the washing mode rinse additionally. If you hesitate to turn on the machine with an empty drum, you can throw in an old rag or an unwanted towel. Cleaning and washing clothes at the same time is not allowed.
In the fight against mold and mildew can help 9 percent vinegar. Pour 2 cups of vinegar into the compartment for liquid detergent, then turn on the machine, selecting a mode with a high washing temperature, for 10-15 minutes. Then the machine should be paused for a few hours to allow the vinegar solution to attack the scale and eliminate harmful microorganisms. Then the washing is resumed, and at the end of the procedure put the machine on an additional rinse.
You can also use a vinegar solution to treat the rubber flap seal, gently pull the rubber band away, remove all debris from the folds, and then wipe with a dry cloth. After cleaning, it is better to leave the door open for a while, so that the drum dries out and the smell of dampness does not reappear. Many housewives add a little vinegar in the process of washing to prevent the formation of limescale. It lightens the water a bit.
Cleaning with bleach
Chlorine helps to fight mold and is often used to disinfect washing machines. To do this, pour half a cup of whitewash into the drum, turn on the program with a high washing temperature and wash for about 40 minutes. After this additional rinsing is required. You should not abuse the whitewash: you should not clean the washing machine more than twice a year with it.
Cleaning the heating element
Sometimes the layer of plaque on the heating element is so large that mechanical cleaning is required. However, in order to remove the heating element from the washing machine without affecting its operation, and then put it back, you need to have certain skills or strictly follow the instructions:
- First you need to determine the location of the heating element and remove the panel.
- Disconnect the wires and sensor, loosen the fastening and carefully remove the heating element with a flat screwdriver. Do not damage the wiring and the tank.
- Remove the main layer of plaque with a hard sponge or fine grit sandpaper. Do not use a knife or other hard instruments since they can damage the appliance or leave scratches.
- To remove the remains of dirt, the FET should be soaked for a few hours (better overnight) in diluted hot water vinegar or citric acid solution, then clean it with a toothbrush and rinse under running water.
- Wipe the clean appliance with a dry cloth and put it back.
Citric acid against limescale
To get rid of limescale on the drum and FET without disassembling the machine will help citric acid. When heated, it actively attack plaque, dissolving even hard packed lime.
Pour about 100 grams of acid in the tray (depending on the load, 30 grams per kilo), then turn on the machine in the longest wash cycle at maximum temperature, and after that in the extra rinse mode. If the smell is still there, repeat the procedure. However, with heavy soiling, it is better to interrupt the washing process in the middle and leave the machine alone overnight. In the morning, continue washing again.
Do not add a large amount of citric acid and use this method often, as regular use of the product can cause damage to some parts of the machine. After cleaning with your own hands, do not forget to check the drum gum and drain hose for loose lime particles.
Descaling with baking soda and vinegar
Lime scale can be removed with baking soda and vinegar. Baking soda and water in a 1:1 ratio are mixed and placed in the tray. Then a glass of vinegar (9%) is poured into the drum. Then turn on the machine at maximum temperature and duration.
Cleaning with special agents
In the range of hardware stores you can find a large selection of specialized cleaners for washing machines at home. Their undoubted advantage is the composition, which contains only those components that effectively remove dirt and do not harm the elements of equipment. Depending on your preferences and financial capabilities, you can choose products issued in the form of powder or gel, various brands and manufacturers.
There are both universal means, and specialized, designed to fix any one problem with your own hands. One of the universal cleaners is Beckmann. It eliminates unpleasant odors, dirt, limescale. Suitable for regular use, but not always able to remove tough dirt.
Popular store remedies for removing limescale in the washing machine:
- Magic Power. effectively removes limescale;
- Topperr 3004. copes well with all degrees of limescale and is also suitable for dishwashers;
- Schnell Entkalker. quickly removes stubborn lime deposits;
- Filtero 601 is effective against limescale, it is recommended to use it once per 3 months;
- Antikalipin. designed to combat limescale in any household appliance, has a good price-quality ratio.
We also recommend the use of special detergents to prevent limescale buildup during the wash cycle. They are added to the powder or directly into the drum before normal washing.
Ways to Clean a Washing Machine Caddy from Scale of Washing Powder
“s” are called that compartment of the washing machine. What’s specifically designed to put the powder in. This unit is made of plastic, which gradually loses its attractive appearance because the powder is not completely washed out. This accumulated over the years plaque looks very unaesthetic and can adversely affect your favorite clothes.
What to clean: the best tools
Which way to fight the dirt. have decided. Now let’s find out what is the best way to clean fossilized laundry detergent. Use the factory household chemicals. It will lead to the proper appearance of the cuvette and the main units of the machine.
- Sandokkaebi. The most effective composition made in South Korea. Clean not only the container, but also the hoses and spigots of the washing machine. The affordable price is an important advantage.
A more aggressive chemical can be used for soaking the tray, because it is not poured into the machine. Plumbing and toilet bowl cleaners are also suitable. For example, Domestos or Toilet Duck.
How to clean the powder tray from plaque
Many housewives, cleaning the washing machine, forget about the container for the powder. But if it is not cleaned in time, it can negatively affect the operation of technology.
Particular attention should be paid to the condition of the tray, if:
- For washing, predominantly washing powder, not liquid detergent is used;
- the water pressure in the water supply is weak, which does not provide a qualitative washout of the agent from the compartment;
- Regular use of fabric conditioners or rinse aid with a sticky texture.
The basket needs to be cleaned just as much as the drum or the heating element. Over time, you can find lime or mold on its walls, which can be removed with the help of improvised means. baking soda, citric acid, vinegar or a combination thereof. Here are some cleaning methods:
- mix baking soda with water to form a thick slurry. Apply the mixture on the inside and outside of the tray before removing it, then scrub the dirt out with a stiff sponge and rinse. For a better effect, you can leave the applied product overnight;
- Dilute 1 cup 9% vinegar in 1 liter of hot water. Put the tray in the solution for 7-8 hours, then remove the remains of dirt and wipe the container dry;
- Take about 100 g of citric acid, pour it into the detergent tray without removing it from the machine. Run a high-temperature wash without laundry. Heated acid will dissolve the resulting plaque and leave behind a pleasant fragrance.
Citric acid is an excellent remedy against limescale
To clean the powder container is not difficult at all, but in order not to waste time on this procedure, it is better for the prevention of rinsing the tray under running water after every wash.
We hope that our tips will help you get rid of dirt, limescale, mold and unpleasant odor.
How to clean a washing machine with vinegar and other products
All owners of washing machines know that the technique from time to time needs to clean the inner parts from dirt and plaque. Even with careful treatment of the machine, it is impossible to prevent the appearance of limescale arising from exposure to untreated tap water and chemical compounds of laundry detergent.
With the help of ordinary table vinegar can effectively clean the washing machine
Many users wonder if it is possible with the help of acetic acid to remove limescale, dirt and get rid of unpleasant odor. Let’s talk about it further.
HOW TO CLEAN YOUR WASHING MACHINE !! (QUICK & EASY)
How to enable the self-cleaning feature?
The self-cleaning function is designed for preventive maintenance of the washing machine. On average, it is useful to activate this mode once a month. It helps prevent clogs, removes deposits and small debris.
Some LG washing machine models offer self-cleaning after a certain number of cycles. This is indicated by the “tei” coding on the display.
To call this code can be forced by pressing and holding for a few seconds the buttons marked with “” or by pressing the self-cleaning button, which in some models is separate.
Before starting the self-cleaning function, make sure that there are no items in the drum and that there is no detergent in the powder collector.
Next steps to start the process:
- Close the hatch door.
- If the user agrees to the self-cleaning of the washer-dryer, confirm your decision by pressing the “start” button.
- Wait for the end of the cleaning cycle. Afterwards, ventilate the machine and wipe away excess moisture.
Although self-cleaning mode is similar to a normal wash, it has its own special features:
- Do not add detergent;
- the machine defaults to a water heating temperature of 60ºC;
- A thorough rinse with a large volume of water;
- processing is long enough. 95 minutes.
Just as with self-cleaning, the following rules must be followed:
It is advisable to run the automatic self-cleaning mode to refresh the drum after washing rugs, etc.д.
How to turn on the drum cleaning function in the LG washing machine, video instruction:
Causes of bad smells and fungus
Unpleasant odor of the compactor appears for the same reasons as in the drum of the machine:
- Improper installation of the appliance. if the appliance is on the floor at an angle, the water does not drain all the way out of the tubes.
- Abuse of the low temperature wash mode. the insides of the machine are not disinfected with hot water.
- Improper care of parts and the detergent container.
- Failure to use descalers and detergents with bleaching properties.
- Constantly closed door of the machine. the drum and gum do not have time to dry out, and remain wet.
- Storing dirty laundry in the “washing machine”, where bacteria multiply intensively and a stench appears.
- Lack of preventive washing of the washing machine. inside and outside.
- Rinse aid must be rinsed off in a double rinse, otherwise an oily residue remains, ideal for fungal growth.
Important! Bad water quality is one of the causes of odor and mold. It is recommended to use water softeners, which will fight lime scale on the gum.
Learn right now how to get rid of mold in your washing machine.
Contamination Prevention and Maintenance Procedures
To avoid having to buy expensive detergents for your washing machine, it is worth following the rules of maintenance of appliances and carrying out regular preventive maintenance of dirt accumulation. To do this:
- Do not leave damp laundry inside the machine for long periods of time after washing, and wipe the rubber drum collar dry. It’s best to leave the hatch door open to dry the parts and prevent mold;
- check the s of your clothes carefully for foreign objects before loading them;
- Do not exceed the weight limits for items you load for washing, as stated in your washing machine’s user manual;
- Use antiscale agents to soften hard water;
- Rinse the powder tray regularly, without waiting for a hardened buildup.
After washing, wipe down the rubber cuff with a dry cloth
Some models of washing machines have a function of self-cleaning of the drum from limescale and dirt, which should be used at least once a month. If you follow all the recommendations for the care of the machine, the machine will last much longer than the period specified by the manufacturer.
How to clean with folk remedies at home?
You don’t have to use a special store-bought product to remove limescale. Even simple home remedies give good results.
How to clean with vinegar?
Table bite is not only a food product, but also an effective remedy for removing lime from the surface of the tubular heating element and other parts of the washing machine. You will need 400-500 grams of it.
- Carefully pour all the vinegar into the laundry detergent compartment.
- Set the washing temperature to 90°C or more, e.g. “cotton”.
- Start the wash.
- After you finish washing, wipe the inside of the machine and air it out.
You do not need to dilute the vinegar with water first.
Soda and vinegar
It is possible to clean the machine not only with vinegar, but also with baking soda. Process of removing deposits using this method:
- combine ½ cup each of baking soda and vinegar in a separate container;
- pour the resulting solution into the laundry detergent compartment;
- Pour another 1 cup of undiluted vinegar directly into the drum;
- set a long wash in hot water;
- start the cycle;
- Wipe the drum and rubber parts around the door.
The use of citric acid to clean the washing machine from scale. a method widely popular and very effective. For this treatment we need a large sachet of citric acid, weighing 100 grams.
- Pour the powder from the package into the compartment, which is designed for washing powder.
- Set the wash program to “cotton”.
- Adjust the heating temperature by setting it to 90-95°C.
- Start the wash.
- Wipe and air out the drum.
Citric acid should not be used as a substitute for lemon juice, as the result will be a weak solution that will not cope with limescale. Read more about this cleaning method here.
If the situation is already advanced
In a situation where descaling has not been carried out for a very long time (or has never been carried out at all), the standard methods may not help.
- Carry out a general cleaning using one of the recipes described above.
- Remove the upper part of the washing machine housing to open access to the tubular heating element.
- Disconnect sensor and wires from the heating element.
- Take out the heating element.
- Clean the heating element carefully with a brush, removing loose lime deposits.
- From a 2-liter plastic bottle cut off the upper narrow part with the neck.
- Pour 4 tablespoons of citric acid into the water. л. Add citric acid and pour hot water so much that the heating element can be immersed in the solution up to the strip.
- Stir the solution, allowing the grains of acid to dissolve in the water.
- Dip the appliance disconnected from the washing machine inside.
- Leave the heating element in the solution for at least 10 hours.
- Clean with a sponge, wipe off.
- Put the heating element back in place.
You should also pay attention to the filter and drain hose. The more limescale there was, the more fragments will be separated when using home and store-bought remedies. Larger particles may not go down the drain, but settle, clogging the filter and hose, which will also need to be cleaned.