Cleaning out soot can be a very unpleasant but necessary activity. Most often soot builds up in heating appliances and chimneys.
Why the cleaning of soot is so necessary? The point is that a large layer of soot can carry several negative effects: it is accelerated wear of the chimney walls, and reduced efficiency of the heater, and decreased draft due to narrowing of the channel, and the resulting danger of ignition in the chimney.
We hope that you have realized the importance of cleaning soot, and you can proceed to an overview of the methods of this operation.
- Manual method. The most widely used method of cleaning. It is carried out in several stages: firstly, the cleaning holes and the furnace door are closed to prevent soot from flying into the room. Then you can go up to the roof. Do not neglect insurance: no matter how confident you are, accidents always occur. Next check the chimney for debris. If there is one, it should be taken out or pushed down the bottom.After removing debris, you can begin cleaning. Dense soot layer should be removed with a scraper, and then use a brush or brush, with a diameter slightly larger than the chimney itself.
- The people’s way. Stoves and fireplaces have been around for a long time, so there must be a method used by our distant ancestors. One such method is to heat the stove with aspen wood. The flame from burning aspen is high enough to burn soot out of the chimney. Today, this method is not recommended by professionals, as it is a fire hazard. If you do decide to use this method, make sure that the soot is less than 2mm thick, or a fire will be inevitable.
- Chemical cleaning. Modern chemicals to remove soot are easy to use and the ability to remove soot in bends, curves and other hard to reach areas of the chimney. Such preparations are sold as scatters in a kilogram package, in 50 gram sachets or in the form of a log formed from sawdust, wax and special additives.
Soot cleaning by such means can be carried out in metal and brick chimneys, furnaces, pellet and solid fuel boilers, as well as in conventional fireplaces and fireplaces with a water loop.
Chimney cleaner consists of special crystals. During combustion, some of them turn soot into a combustible gas, while others release gases that destroy the structures of tar deposits.
As a consequence, moisture begins to evaporate, which causes the hardness of the plaque. Only fragile soot residue remains, which crumbles, splits and burns.
You don’t know how to wash off soot and its derivatives? Use reliable products from Docker Chemical GmbH Rus!
The office of BC “Yauza Tower, ul. Radio d. 24 к.1, м. “Baumanskaya” Office Hours: Mon-Fri, 10.00-17.00. sub.To order (no lunch) Tel./fax: 7 (495) 369-04-07
Cleaning off soot and grime Cleaning off soot and grime. Folk remedies. Soot is a big trouble, everyone who has encountered the problem of cleaning soot understands that. How to make it work? Our advices.
Cleaning the chimney: how and what you can remove soot?
If the fireplace is difficult to ignite and the stove smokes, if there are flakes of black smoke above the roof of the bathhouse, the chimney must be cleaned immediately. Poor chimney function can provoke carbon monoxide poisoning or cause a fire! It is not only necessary to clean in time the chimneys and pipes of wood-burning stoves, pipes of heating boilers, in which products of gas combustion accumulate, should also be cleaned.
Causes of chimney pollution
Why a chimney gets dirty? There are many reasons. Violated during masonry stove size of the internal clearance and the walls over time, overgrown with soot, so it is difficult to light the stove, and the draft is bad, and there is no heat. Causes of chimney pollution can be:
- Violation of technology in the construction of the furnace,
- illiterate exploitation,
- bad chimney material,
- debris in the pipe,
- soot buildup.
Do not burn plastic bags, cellophane bags, household garbage of chemical origin in the furnace. Do not use raw firewood with a lot of resin. Raw wood first dries in the furnace. The temperature naturally drops, carbon accumulates, and a black cloud of oxidation products settles on the chimney.
Tip! It is better not to use softwoods to fire the stove, but today they are the most affordable and obtainable. Nothing else remains but to build a fireplace more spacious and stock up on firewood in advance, lying a year or two wood is well dried and does not harm the chimney.
Build-up of soot hides the defects, cracks, untimely maintenance of which can lead to the destruction of the stove pipe. And accumulated soot has the ability to ignite spontaneously in the pipe, a fire on the roof will not lead to anything good. Accumulation of combustion products in the chimney of the heating system can lead to equipment problems, heating failure. It is obvious that the chimney cleaning, regular maintenance of heating boilers pipes is necessary.
Three grandfatherly ways
The chimney sweeping profession is practically non-existent today. You can only find a friendly sooty face in fairy tales or for fabulously large sums of money. Our ancestors cleaned the chimney of the furnace, regularly using the following methods:
- In the furnace during combustion put table salt. As a combustion inhibitor, that is, a substance that inhibits the process, salt promotes rapid kindling and slow burning of wood, while maintaining a constant combustion temperature. If you constantly put a little salt in the furnace along with the wood, you can forget about the problems in the chimney for a long time. But if the pipes are full of soot, clogged with soot. salt will not help.
- Don’t throw away the potato peelings if there is a need for regular chimney cleaning. They effectively clean the walls of accumulated combustion products, if they are added to the furnace in dried form. Add the cleaner should already be on the coals, the hot steam with starch softens the soot that has built up on the walls, greatly facilitating the process of mechanical cleaning.
- The stove cleans well with aspen and birch firewood. This wood creates a high temperature in the furnace, a powerful draft, which perfectly cleans the walls of the chimney without any ruffles and brushes. Birch firewood should be used without bark.
Tip! Salt and potato peelings are safe for the chimney. But the high burning temperatures of aspen or birch firewood can damage a soot-contaminated chimney. To prevent fires, keep an eye on the process, do not put too many logs in at once, and keep fire prevention measures handy.
Modern Chemicals to Combat Soot and Soot
To combat soot and grime, quite a few chemicals are recommended, many of which effectively remove dirt from the chimney. Today it is recommended to use:
- copper sulfate, in small quantities poured on the coals creates the conditions for soot to fall down,
- also works means Poleno Smoke, Vesely Chimney Sweep, Kominichek, HG, the recommendations for use of each tool is different, performing them you can get the desired result. a clean chimney.
All means are used during the burning of wood, coal, substances emitted during combustion are harmless to humans.
Tip! Even safe emissions are not necessary for the human body, even if the manufacturer assures in the instructions that the substances volatilize through the chimney. not superfluous will be a good airing of the room.
Chemical helpers are effective in combination with mechanical cleaning. Contact chimney cleaning is the most effective and reliable.
Mechanical cleaning of the chimney
The mechanical method of cleaning the chimney is simple and harmless. necessary equipment, tools can be easily made by yourself. You’ll need:
Brush with metal bristles, with plastic pile, hard, coarse, everyone can make their own hands. It is necessary to use a halyard the length of the chimney, a secure attachment for the brush and safety measures on the roof. A respirator, gloves and safety glasses are also needed.
The technology of cleaning is simple, its purpose is to scrape off the soot from the inside of the pipe. The weight is needed for tapping, pushing through the formed clogs, to weight the tool used. Brushes, brushes are required to remove soot from the walls, and their diameter should exceed the diameter of the pipe one and a half to two times, a ramrod for pushing debris down into the furnace.
All the scraped off soot is deposited at the bottom of the furnace ash-pan, which in its turn must be cleaned.
Advice! Do not climb on the roof in snow and rain, use dry, windless weather to clean the chimney, do not climb to the roof without a safety rope.
Cleaning of the chimney pipe is sometimes done in two directions from above and below. Increase the grip, use a core or a weight. It is worth noting that this job is labor-intensive, requiring strength, physical preparation. This occupation is dangerous; sometimes soot explodes; specialists use special vacuum cleaners. In any case it is not superfluous to contact the professionals for advice. A call to the Ministry of Emergency Situations, the fire inspection will not interfere.
Four tips from a professional chimney sweep.
- Prefer mechanical cleaning after burning potato peels.
- Do not get addicted to chemicals.
- Combine chemical and folk remedies in the process of operation.
- Perform a thorough cleaning once every 2 years or when the soot layer has reached 2 mm.
What is creosote
Creosote is a tarry, tarry substance with a characteristic odor and color, which is formed as a result of combustion of various wood, coal and other types of solid fuel. Creosote is poisonous and destructive to the metal surfaces of any heating boiler: mixed with moisture, it “adheres” to the inner walls and forms a strong tarry soot with a permanent layer-by-layer deposition.
Causes of creosote buildup
Creosote formation in solid fuel boilers. a process that is almost impossible to prevent. The reason lies in the very scheme of operation: the fuel burned (wood, coal, fuel briquettes and the like) inevitably leaves behind combustion products. The amount of tar deposits varies from model to model, fuel settings and combustion process settings. Today’s greenest automatic pellet boilers produce minimal fouling. However, even their use does not completely relieve the need for maintenance of the unit. The main causes of creosote on the walls of the “insides” of the solid fuel boiler are:
- Use of poor quality types of fuel prescribed for the boiler;
- Burning wood with increased “tarring”;
- repeated attempts to burn fuel with high m moisture;
- Burning such a large amount of fuel that exceeds the limit for a single charge;
- burning of domestic waste;
- Improper setting of the boiler’s combustion intensity (e.g., lack of air);
- The length of the chimney pipe is too short (or too long).
The destructive power of creosote
Once appeared on the walls of the combustion chamber and chimney creosote does not disappear, but only grows layer by layer with the operation of the boiler. Thus its threatening effects can lead to the following consequences:
- Creosote deposits on the walls of the chimney reduce the effective drainage of flue gases from the combustion of fuel;
- decreases the volume of air required for combustion, which leads to the formation of “dirty” flame and entails the appearance of new creosote deposits;
- low “quality” of the flame negatively affects the efficiency of boiler heating;
- A heavy blockage in the chimney leads to its failure;
- Multiple creosote deposits, coupled with its high flammability, cause dangerous situations for life and equipment.
The stages of creosote plaque formation in the boiler
Like any other unwanted formation, creosote does not appear all of a sudden: it takes a certain amount of time for its maximum negative effect to manifest itself. The scale of the “tragedy” is formed in several stages:
Stage 1. A thin layer of creosote on the inside surface of the chimney. Visible to the eye and consists mostly of soot with a small amount of tar, similar to the usual “flakes” of soot. Stage 2. The creosote layer gradually thickens due to the resins, which literally molds one layer of soot/soot to another, gradually increasing the thickness of the plaque. The deposit is fairly obvious. Stage 3. A thick layer of soot with an unpleasant odor cannot be denied. As the boiler heats up and warm air moves through the pipes, the creosote plaque becomes increasingly hard, shiny and difficult to clean. As a rule, at the last stage, more often it is necessary to disassemble the construction completely and either to make rather labor-intensive cleaning or complete overhaul, or partial or full replacement of the equipment.
The good news is that creosote plaque can be successfully dealt with if you engage in cleaning equipment with regular frequency and try to avoid 2-3 stages of creosote formation. In fact, such cleaning manipulations are not very difficult, do not require any special knowledge or skills, and take a small amount of time. And most importantly. allow you to significantly extend the life of the equipment.
Ways to clean a solid fuel boiler from creosote
Modern methods of cleaning from creosote include several ways, among which it is easy to choose the most suitable. To date, the most effective options that are suitable for different stages of the formation of destructive resins have been invented.
Manual maintenance and cleaning work on the boiler is performed using special metal or rigid plastic tools, which include known to all: pokers, brushes, cleaners, trowels, scrapers, peculiar mini-drills and other similar implements. You can find a variety of versions of all these tools in any specialized store (including Teplocom stores). Routine mechanical cleaning is very simple, effective and its results are immediately obvious. At the same time manual cleaning is characterized by a sequential algorithm of actions.
Order of the mechanical cleaning of the solid fuel boiler
Melt the boiler in the usual manner. Use low-tar wood (e.g., some hardwoods) and anthracite for kindling. Consult with a specialist, if you are not sure in the choice of solid fuel for a special kindling. 2. When the boiler is hot, stop the unit (stop all boiler operation), open the chimney flap, and allow the equipment to cool. 3. Wear protective equipment: mask, gloves, goggles (if necessary), open the boiler door and proceed to clean the internal parts on the walls of which there are creosote formations. Continue the procedure until a minimum amount of resin remains. 4. Finish cleaning, close all the doors of the boiler and melt it again. Re-lighting will remove any residual soot particles that are left behind after manual operation.
Fireway BHB-SRW110 metal wire brush
Chemical cleaning measures are easier and much less time-consuming than mechanical cleaning. Chemicals are made to remove creosote at all stages (from small manifestations to quite noticeable) and are designed to greatly simplify all maintenance procedures. For these reasons, chemical cleaning is one of the most popular and sought-after methods. The main options for chemical cleaning are acid-based treatments or the use of solid organometallic catalysts (in powder or compressed form). The method used depends on the intensity of the contamination. If the choice is not obvious, take advice from a heating specialist at any Teplocom specialty store.
Cleaning with acid-containing agents
Implies the use of preparations based on adipic or sulfamic acids. Dilute the concentrated acid detergent with water to the required consistency (may vary depending on the degree of contamination). An approximate work algorithm is as follows:
Empty the boiler of water or coolant (drain the water). 2. Dissolve with water and heat the chemical (if indicated in the instructions), fill the booster with the cleaning agent and, with the help of a pump, fill the empty boiler. If the combustion chamber is to be cleaned. fill the blaster (a special tool that sprays the cleaner over the contaminated surface. The name of the technology is “Soft Blasting”). 3. Circulate the chemical solution through the heat exchanger of the boiler for several hours. If using “Soft Blasting” technology. treat all contaminated surfaces that need to be treated. Chemical reactions will occur almost immediately. 4. At the end of the procedure, thoroughly rinse, dry, and ventilate the treated parts of the boiler.
Please note: (1) All cleansing treatments involving chemicals must be performed with strict adherence to safety precautions. Protective mask, gloves and compliance with the rules described in the instructions are mandatory in the procedures. (2) Specialists recommend acid treatments when creosote deposits are at a “reasonable level”, i.e. when the scale is really difficult to clean. These products must be used with care, because the reaction of the chemicals not only affects the dirt, but also the metal walls of the boiler.
Cleaning with organometallic catalysts
This non-mechanical way to clean the boiler from creosote involves burning organometallic catalysts (powder, “chemical” logs, “cleaning” pellets and others), which are burned with the fuel. The principle of action of the agent is based on a catalytic reaction, where there is a loosening and splitting of soot. The latter, in turn, easily escapes through the chimney. Most such means can save fuel to some extent, as they contribute to the best combustion of solid fuel.
Please note: the use of solid catalysts does not guarantee a good result in situations where the boiler has very strong creosote deposits. However, such solutions are of great service in the case of small deposits, as well as for prevention.
When it is necessary to clean the chimney
Optimal cleaning of flue pipes should be carried out on a regular basis and at regular intervals. There are also some signs that signal that this time has just come:
Cleaning a Stanley solid fuel range. not burning right or not drawing? Rayburn, aga etc.
- the color of the smoke has acquired an unpleasant dark tint (instead of the barely transparent white);
- the color of the flame has become aggressively orange (instead of light orange);
- A visual inspection of the pipes shows that dark black and oily deposits have formed on the walls of the pipes.
Specialized chimney cleaning methods and techniques
Current means, tools and methods of cleaning pipes are popular solutions. You can buy them in any specialized store, and using them at home is easy and simple. Among these are common mechanical cleaning with special tools and cleaning with chemicals.
Manual cleaning of chimneys with hard tools (brushes, brushes, blades or scrapers) made of metal, nylon, plastic or polypropylene allows for a visible effect after some effort. All that is needed is the availability of these tools and the desire to clean the chimney.
Approximate algorithm for mechanical cleaning of the chimney:
- Melt the heating equipment (boiler, stove, or fireplace) using non-smog wood logs. Let the fuel burn out.
- Allow the equipment to cool completely when the firing is complete. Burnt fuel and hot flue gases will soften a little previously formed soot on the walls of the chimney.
- Cover all openings in the equipment through which soot can escape and which are inside the room.
- Take care of your own hygienic safety: wear gloves, mask, cap and goggles.
- To clean the chimney from below: Take a cleaning tool (brush with handle extensions) and insert it into the chimney hole located in the fuel chamber. When using extensions, increase the length of the handle as much as necessary. Soot and soot will fall down.
- To clean the chimney from above: choose a clear, windless day. Prepare safety equipment in advance: since the work is carried out on the roof, attach a safety rope. Remove the umbrella head from the top of the chimney and make sure that there are no other foreign objects in the chimney besides dirt. Take care beforehand to take care that the sliders and closures in the chimney are removed. Equip yourself with a cleaning tool and perform all the procedures until you are satisfied with the result.
- After the cleaning work is complete, use an ash pan to finish blowing out the chimney. In domestic conditions a normal vacuum cleaner may be suitable as such equipment.
Brush Fireway BHB-SRW150 of metal wire (150 mm)
Note: If you are not sure of the efficiency of your efforts, you can always (and sometimes must be) referred to professionals. In addition to common tools and means that can be purchased at any specialized store, the master pipe cleaner has in his arsenal of professional equipment, which will quickly and effectively remove all contamination.
Cleaning with chemicals: Burning organometallic catalysts
The use of organometallic catalysts has an effective destruction effect on deposits in the chimney. This method is easy and can be used at all stages of dirt, including prevention. Chemical agents are logs, briquettes or pellets made of pressed wood waste, as well as powders impregnated with chemicals. The smoke produced by burning such products reacts with soot and smoke on the chimney walls and splits them. This method of cleaning is safe: all modern specialized products in the combustion exclude the formation of harmful carbon monoxide, formaldehyde or dioxides.
A rough algorithm for dry cleaning a chimney:
- Arm yourself with the chimney sweep of your choice. If it is not packed in plastic, you can not unpack it.
- Melt the equipment in the usual manner. Throw in a catalyst. Allow it to burn in the normal way.
- These chemicals have a prolonged action: even after they burn. self-cleaning (peeling off the soot) chimney is still a couple of weeks.
Means Somrast Company Chimney Sweep Express for cleaning chimneys from soot
Somrast Company Chimney Sweep Express Poleshko TE soot cleaner
Important to understand: The use of organometallic catalysts does not guarantee 100% cleanliness of the chimney if, by the time of application of the tool in the chimney formed a noticeably heavy plaque. However, the use of such products can be one of the effective stages of cleaning.
The most important thing in the cleaning process is its regularity. Even if you look after the equipment very carefully, but do it once a year, such procedures will not bring much benefit. There are certain intervals that directly depend on how much quality fuel you use.
If the raw material is wet and does not have the best characteristics, then the cleaning procedure should be carried out every two weeks. If you use high quality fuel, then once a month is enough. These timescales apply to both wood-burning and pellet and pyrolysis equipment.
However, do not be guided solely by the given interval. If you see that the combustion chamber is very dirty from the inside, and the cleaning period has not yet approached, you should still carry out the necessary procedures. There are several ways in which this is done.
The most obvious method is mechanical cleaning of the boiler walls. You will need a variety of scrapers and spatulas, poker, metal brushes and brushes. in general, a set of tools with which to make scraping of dirt.
House heating. We clean the solid fuel boiler using chemical Nitrolen
The process depends on what type of dirt prevails. If it is soot, you must turn off the boiler and allow it to cool completely, only then can you begin cleaning.
If we are talking about the fight against tar and tar, the procedure is a little more complicated.
- Since cured tar and tar is hard, to scrape them off in this state is almost impossible. Therefore, you should first soften these substances. Simply heat the boiler and wait for some time until the tar and tar have reached the right consistency.
- Then, using the tools prepared for scraping, clean the walls of the boiler.
- As a final step, reheat the boiler and wait for the deposits to burn out.
Regardless of the type of dirt, do not forget to leave the damper open when performing mechanical cleaning of the boiler.
The chemical method
A solid fuel boiler can be cleaned using a variety of chemicals. They fall into two categories:
- Crystal. Cleaning is done by pouring the product directly into the burning fuel. This causes a reaction whereby the soot and tar begin to crumble. Then the resulting fractions go through the chimney with other combustion products;
- Acidic. Used for tar and tarry deposits. Acid chemicals include solvents and reagents that dissolve deposits when treating the walls of the boiler.
Another chemical method of cleaning is a soft blasting. The procedure is carried out using a special solution, the components of which are baking soda and chalk. This substance is applied to the walls with a device designed for the procedure.
When performing chemical cleaning it is extremely important to take care of your own safety. Most of the substances are very caustic and you have to wear protective clothing and glasses in order to prevent burns to the skin or eyes.
The steam method
The good thing about this cleaning method is that it not only removes deposits but also disinfects the equipment. You will need a steam generator for the procedure. With its help, steam is pressurized on the walls of the combustion chamber, as a result of which the deposits are softened and removed. The steam method is suitable for wood burning and pyrolysis equipment.
If for some reason you do not have the opportunity to use one of the above methods, then as a temporary measure you can apply one of the folk methods, not bad proven itself. For example, you can pour regular salt on the burning fuel. As a result of this simple action, all the soot will come out through the chimney.
The second method is to use potato skins left over from peeling the root crop. They also need to be added to the burning fuel, and then wait for a short time. In the process of combustion will be released starch. It will have a softening effect on deposits accumulated on the walls of the combustion chamber.
After the potato skins burn, you should clean the boiler mechanically, using scrapers, spatulas and a metal brush, and then rinse.
All these methods. mechanical, chemical, steam and folk. have the necessary effect on the condition of the boiler. You can choose the one that is most convenient for you in terms of both financial costs and physical strength.
Remember that the most important aspect of boiler cleaning is the regularity of the procedure. As with any other cleaning method, if you do it infrequently, it can become a real chore. After all, a thin layer of soot is much easier to remove than the capital soot accumulated over several months.
With a sensible approach, the cleaning procedure will not be a problem for you and the solid fuel boiler will serve you well for years to come. To reinforce what you learned today, watch the video linked below. Share new knowledge with your friends in social networks and come back to learn something else interesting and useful for your home needs. published by econet.ru
What to do when the boiler on solid fuel smokes: a real example
Causes of smoking of the solid fuel boiler can be different. Often, when this situation arises, unit owners immediately look for information on the Internet, analyze websites and forums to find real reviews and Комментарии и мнения владельцев, how to determine the cause of the problems and fix them. Here is one such example.
One of the forum users complained that installing a solid fuel boiler Dragon TA with a classic stainless steel chimney, after two years of unrestricted operation the unit began to smoke. Products of combustion began to come out of the chimney inside the boiler room, from all the doors during firing.
Melted different kinds of firewood: spruce, birch, aspen. We used dry, wet and frozen wood The boiler was working fine for two years and then the situation changed. The owner is sure that the weather has nothing to do with it. Ventilation works great.
The boiler owner’s actions were as follows:
- He took apart the chimney and cleaned it.
- He rewound all the connections of the structure with aluminum tape.
- Cleaned the whole boiler.
- Insulated the chimney with 10 cm Rockwool.
The solid fuel boiler was still blowing smoke inside the boiler room, but the chimney stopped. The owner didn’t understand what was the problem, why was the boiler smoking?
After much deliberation and communication with people who have encountered similar problems, it was still possible to determine the cause, which was as follows.
The owner heated the boiler for two years with dry chopped aspen and birch logs. In the present season, however, the cold weather came already in October, so the dry wood ran out, and a machine of raw birch firewood was bought.
When using dried wood in the chimney accumulated dry soot, which can be removed by simply tapping on the vertical part of the chimney stick. And everything is clean and tidy. Raw birch logs covered the walls of the boiler and chimney with tar.
The owner has carried out all the necessary cleaning procedures for the boiler. Removed the tar. And all. the problem is gone.
A solid fuel heating boiler is a good means of heating. But remember, it also requires periodic maintenance and safety rules.
Why we allow soot, soot, tar and tar to form in the boiler and chimney
In the boiler, on the jacket of the heat exchanger, on the boiler gas passages, soot, tar, soot deposits will always settle, because they are formed in the process of burning fuel. But in some cases, the size of the deposits will be just gigantic compared to the normal mode of combustion, and grow lightning fast.
Conditions under which large deposits (soot, tar, tar, coke) occur in the solid fuel boiler.
- In the boiler the heat exchanger will be cold, below the dew point (recommended not below 65 degrees Celsius), t.е. The return will be cold water (below 55 deg). with the inclusion of all boiler products and acids, will wet the inside cold surfaces of the boiler and can even flow into the ash pan simulating damage to the circuit.
- The boiler receives too humid air, for example from the bathroom, which will raise the dew point temperature significantly, water can go back from the walls of the chimney.
- The heating with wet wood, which increases the humidity of the gases and lowers the temperature of combustion, with consequences similar to those above.
- Burning in smoldering mode without complete afterburning of everything that comes out of the fuel, resulting in unburned fuel particles, as well as dew.
- Use wood that emits a lot of resinous volatiles at a temperature lower than it burns (for the reasons given above), which greatly increases caking.
How not to let the boiler get very dirty
- It is necessary to use the three-way valve with a thermostat to ensure the return temperature is always higher than 55 degrees Celsius, which is important for solid fuel boilers. С. It also protects the boiler from corrosion by poisonous dew.
- It is necessary to heat with the maximum amount of oxygen, which provides the most complete combustion of fuel, while the boiler on wood and coal works with the maximum efficiency. The surplus energy released must be absorbed by the heat accumulator in the heating system. How to connect the heat accumulator In addition to ensuring optimum combustion, this is also the main prerequisite for comfort with a wood-fired boiler.
- Use wood with a moisture content of 20% or lower. In addition, only such firewood provides the required (standard) amount of energy, which will not be spent on evaporation of excessive internal moisture.
- In some cases (unfortunate models of long-burning boilers, pyrolysis units, the need to heat on smoldering, if the secondary air cannot be regulated), you need to abandon the resinous wood. coniferous, birch.
Cause of contamination
Before answering the question: how to clean the chimney in the bath, furnace or fireplace from soot with your own hands, it is necessary to understand why soot and tar are formed in the chimney.
The fuel burns and this process results in oxidation, which requires oxygen and a high temperature. If at least one of the requirements is not met, soot appears as a result of insufficient oxidation of carbon.
How to understand that it appeared? It’s very simple. If the smoke is black, it means that it contains particles of soot, but most of it remains on the walls of the chimney.
Soot can form for a number of reasons:
Raw wood. If you fill the furnace with insufficiently dry, wet wood, the equipment will have to spend a lot of energy on their drying, resulting in a temperature regime in the furnace is disrupted. The result is the underheating of carbon, a large formation of dark smoke in a clogged chimney.
In addition, the amount of generated soot depends on the type of wood used. These types of trees such as spruce and pine. not the best option in terms of speed of chimney overgrowth. It is better to use oak or hardwoods, but these species are quite expensive, and not everyone can afford it.
Ways to clean fireplace and furnace chimneys
If you have soot and tar buildup in the chimney of your fireplace or stove, you need to know what to clean your chimney with.
Today, there are three main ways to clean the chimneys of stoves and fireplaces:
- Mechanical. This traditional method has been used for a very long time. To do this, it is necessary to put a brush in the chimney and start knocking down deposits of soot on the walls. Various brushes and “kernels” are also used. The disadvantage of this procedure is that access to the pipe is not always unimpeded. Therefore, difficulties may arise, because to climb on the roof is not everyone can do, and to clean the chimney in the stove from below need flexible hoses and access to it. Another disadvantage is that all the waste will fall down, so you will constantly have to take them out, and after a long time to clean the furnace or fireplace from soot. Despite the difficulties of this method, it is quite effective and allows you to remove soot in the most remote places. Before starting the procedures for cleaning the chimney of the fireplace or stove, install some container into which the soot will fall.
- Chemical. This method involves the use of various powders and briquettes for cleaning the chimney. When the system is heated, the powders are poured into the fire, the briquettes are put in the furnace. The substances they consist of, begin to soften the soot, which gradually flies into the chimney, but it can also fall down and completely clog the passage. Therefore, this method is better used as a prophylactic, when not too much soot was formed.
- Folk. Many years ago, people knew how to clean the chimney using folk methods, for this purpose they used salt, potato peelings. And it should be noted that such cleaning of stove pipes and chimneys is quite effective.
Let’s consider each of the methods in more detail.
Mechanical tools for cleaning chimneys with their own hands
Chimney sweep brush has been successfully used for many years. This device is a long flexible rope, at the end of which is installed a brush brush brush. The diameter of such a cleaning tool is chosen based on the size of the chimney in each case individually.
Under the brush itself, sometimes tied a metal ball, which by gravity pulls it down, and then the cleaning is much easier. The entire structure is pushed into the chimney, then lifted and so repeated until the passage will not be cleared of soot.
As already noted, this method is fraught with the fact that most of the soot begins to fly into the chimney. Therefore, it is necessary to comply with safety rules. Be sure to tie yourself down so that you do not accidentally fall off the roof from the involuntary movement, in addition, you need to wear protective goggles, gloves and a respirator.
If you want to make a metal ruff to clean the chimney with your own hands, you need to hang only a centered ball at the bottom. Weights and wrenches will not do.
Not all houses chimney can be cleaned from above, for example, sandwich pipe can be located several meters above the roof, and therefore it is not possible to put a ladder to it. In this case, you need to know how to clean the chimney from the bottom up.
For this there is a special ruff on flexible rods. The boom pieces are attached one to one and the brush is moved along the pipe. Some soot will also be pulled out and the rest will fall down, so be prepared to collect it.
In addition to the ruffler, there are quite a few other devices for cleaning chimneys and ventilation ducts:
- Scraper, with its help you can get rid of soot even in the most inaccessible areas;
- brush, it can replace the ruff and tie it to the rope for cleaning the chimney, the cleaning technology is identical;
- Core and kettlebell are needed to break through the channel in case there is already a blockage in it due to debris and a large amount of soot.
If the level of contamination is not too high, it is enough to use one of the tools. In the case when the situation is neglected, it is better to use all at once.
To get rid of all deposits as well as possible, you need to know a number of rules, how to clean the chimney from soot.
- The first thing to note is that the work should be done in calm weather, when it is not windy.
- At the initial stage close the weight of the door, if you plan to clean an open fireplace, its furnace must be covered with a damp thick cloth. This condition must be observed, t.к. If you do not close it, soot will get into the room.
- In the next step, a weight on a rope is lowered into the chimney channel. In the narrowest section where the most soot has formed, the kettlebell will stop. This means that in this place you should start cleaning, punching the hole with the same kettlebell.
- Sometimes the weight fails to penetrate the clog, in this case you will need to disassemble a separate part of the chimney to get to the right place. Do regular preventive cleaning procedures to avoid such situations, otherwise you will face more problems.
- If the clog managed to break through, then you can start working with a brush.
- After the cleaning process is complete, wait for a certain amount of time for the soot to settle completely before opening all the doors and removing the soot from the chambers.
- Fireplaces with open combustion chambers can be cleaned from below through the firebox rather than through the pipe. This is done using a brush on a compound handle, which can be built up to any height.
Know how to clean the chimney in the stove is very important and you should only use the recommended tools. Using any other tools, not only will you not clean the chimney pipe, but you can also damage it.
Chemicals for cleaning chimneys from soot
Chemistry for cleaning chimneys is only suitable when it is not very clogged. Therefore, various chemicals are more suitable for prevention. If you periodically add chimney cleaning powder and other chemical compositions to the flame of the furnace, then the soot will accumulate much less. As a result, you will not need to carry out time-consuming and expensive mechanical cleaning.
What is soot and how it is formed
Smoke has a complex chemical composition, soot. it is not completely burned particles of fuel, in addition to it the smoke contains water vapor, hydrochloric acid, a number of organic acids and CO2 or carbon monoxide.
Soot fills the chimney gradually. When hot smoke collides with a cold pipe, condensate settles on the walls of the chimney, and everything that passes by, especially soot, adheres to the condensate.
The worse a chimney is insulated, the more often the chimney must be cleaned from soot
That is why the chimney must be insulated all the way from the furnace to the top edge. There is such a thing as a dew point, it is on the boundary of plus and minus. So, if the dew point is located in the insulation, then the condensate will not be on the inner wall of the pipe, and in the absence of insulation to clean the chimney will have at least 2 times more often.
Signs of a chimney blockage
Important! Don’t be negligent about cleaning the chimney of your furnace or fireplace. With a clogged pipe can cause a reverse draft effect and then lethal carbon monoxide will go into the room, and it does not smell and has no color, respectively, if it happens at night, there would be a real threat to the lives of all those in the house.
- Low draft. The first thing that indicates the need to clean the chimney is a bad draft. In addition to the firebox, every stove has an ash-pan and a damper on the chimney. Adjust the cross-section of the pipe with the flap. So, if during firing up and for normal operation of the oven you have to open the damper completely, it means that you need to clean the chimney.
- The color of the smoke. When the oven is working well, the smoke from the chimney is light or even clear. If the smoke has darkened, it’s time to clean the chimney.
If the smoke has darkened, it is necessary to clean the furnace and chimney
- The color of the flame. When the oven is working normally, the flames are light yellow in color, but if the flame has become orange and the intensity of combustion has greatly decreased, then at a minimum, you need to clean the chimney pipe, and sometimes the entire system.
Frequency of cleaning the chimney and furnace
No matter what kind of furnace and chimney cleaning it is necessary, the only question is how often to perform such work. Professionals divide 2 necessary actions. inspection and preventive cleaning. The table below summarizes generally accepted standards.
Purpose and type of furnace equipment
Preventive cleaning of the chimney in a private home
By the way, you can learn about sewer pipe cleaning, with all the nuances and a few step-by-step instructions “HERE”.
Top 5 chemical cleaning products or what the market offers us
Cleaning the chimney with their own hands is real, but troublesome, we will talk about this later, but now consider the method that 95% of the owners choose. to buy products for cleaning chimneys, according to the instructions to throw it into the furnace and forget about the problem.
Means from the brand. Dymovoy
Domestic means to clean the chimney from the brand “Dymovoy” proved to be quite a quality product. In the line now 3 variants of cleaners.
The most popular is considered a set for cleaning the chimney, it looks like an ordinary box, according to the instructions you need to remove the packaging polyethylene and throw the box into the furnace on extinguished embers.
The contents of the box will smolder for about an hour and a half, the soot will dry, and then, within 2 weeks it will fly into the chimney and fall into the furnace.
As practice has shown, the chimney cleaner made in the form of a log, people like more.
Among the chemical means pellets are considered a narrowly focused option, they are only used to clean the chimney of boilers operating on pellets.
The material is packed in 5 kg, the price of 1 package is 850. 900. According to the manual, 10 kg of the cleaner for 1 ton of fuel. On average, cleaning of the boiler and chimney from soot once every 2 months.
Tools from the brand. Chimney Sweep
Chimney sweep tools for cleaning chimneys appeared on the market almost simultaneously with the products from the company Chimney, here the most popular is considered to be a chimney sweep chimney sweep. There are 3 types of 750 gr. logs in the product line. 800 grams. and 1.3 kg, the price ranges from 220 to 550
To clean the chimney burzhuyka or a small fireplace is enough log weighing 800 grams, and to restore order in a large stove will have to buy tools to clean the chimney weighing 1.3 kg
Cleaner from “Hansa”
The German brand “Hansa” in our market since the nineties, it produces a single agent for cleaning, but in different packaging, you can buy a box with single bags or a jar with a measuring spoon and pour the powder at your discretion. Hansa” powder copes very well with a thick layer of creosote, and the peeling mass burns out completely.
, The same weight in a can will cost 600. but it is more profitable to take a kilogram can,
“Hansa” makes an excellent product for cleaning chimneys from soot, it is most profitable to use the product, packed in one-kilogram cans
Cleaner by Vortex brand
Chimney sweeping logs Vortex is the only product that is supplied to our market by this brand. This product is not bad at all, the instructions are standard and we talked about it above. The advantage of such logs is that. which for a German company is rare.
Pellet from Vortex has established itself as a fairly high quality product
Pellet packets from the Czech company “Kominicek” have been supplied to us since the times of the Soviet Union. Judging by the reviews. this tool for cleaning chimneys is not the best. One single bag is enough for 1g of fuel, ie, you kindle a firebox with 1 kg of wood or coal and throw the bag in the fire.
The manufacturer admits that the chemical is designed for prevention, but not to combat soot buildup, plus users note the unpleasant smell of the product. As for the cost
At the moment, the Cominicek product is not very popular
Negative effects of deposits and frequency of cleaning
If the boiler is not cleaned regularly, the negative effects can not be avoided. First of all, the heat output decreases. The room will heat up slowly and the heat will not spread evenly. Another disadvantage is that it will be necessary to use more fuel, and therefore the costs will increase.
Solid fuel boiler, which is not cleaned in time from ash, soot and tar, will not last long at all, as its main elements, responsible for high-quality heating will quickly fail.
Carrying out a regular cleaning of the pyrolysis boiler, you will not only ensure its efficient operation, but also increase its service life.
The frequency of solid fuel boiler cleaning procedures depends on the quality of the fuel used.
If you use high quality wood, coal, etc.д., It will be enough to clean the unit once every 30-40 days. If you use low quality fuel, with high humidity, then you need to clean the boiler at least once every two weeks.
In any case, you need to constantly monitor the operation of the solid fuel boiler. If you notice any faults and malfunctions you have to repeat the cleaning process if necessary, regardless of when it was last cleaned.
Clean the solid fuel boiler from soot, tar and tar can be done in three ways: mechanical, steam and chemical.
Either method has its own distinctive features. Consider each of these.
The process of mechanical cleaning of the boiler is based on the removal of combustion products from the walls of the unit with special tools. For this purpose the following tools are used: pokers, scrapers, spatulas, metal brushes, brushes.
Do not forget that you need to start the process of cleaning the boiler from soot only after the device has completely cooled down.
It is important that in the process of cleaning the boiler from soot, the damper is not closed.
Remove tar and tar from the walls of the machine as follows:
- Initially the heater must be warmed up. Tar and tar are quite hard, and when the boiler is heated they soften and it becomes easier to get rid of them.
- Next, using spatulas and scrapers, you need to get rid of these deposits.
- After the cleaning process is completed, it is necessary to increase the temperature of the boiler. This is done so that the tar and tar residues burn out.
This method of cleaning a solid fuel boiler is very popular. It is based on the use of different chemical compositions.
To clean the unit with a chemical agent, you need to heat the reagent and by means of a special pump fill the boiler system with it.
The most commonly used acids are: sulfamic, adipic, helium.
Adipic acid is diluted with water and pumped gently into the boiler. Once in the device, the mixture reacts with deposits, converts into acidic salts and dissolves. In the next step, it is necessary to release the pressure and wait until the salts precipitate out, and then rinse them with water.
Sulfamic acid is also diluted with water, only in a separate container. It must then be pumped into the cooled down boiler under pressure. Then you need to wait for some time for the acid to react with the scale and wash the unit.
Gel is not an acid. But it is also effectively able to clean the boiler from deposits, while not damaging its walls.
In order to clean the chimney from the soot, the most common method is the use of rock salt. It is added to the furnace at the moment when the fuel is burning. But this method is used only for preventive purposes. It does not help to get rid of soot completely.
effective in the fight against soot are potato peels. The method is as follows: while the fuel is burning, they must be poured into the combustion chamber. Together with the steam the starch will be released. This will soften the soot and remove it from the chimney. After this procedure is finished, the boiler must be thoroughly cleaned.
Carrying out cleaning of the solid fuel boiler with chemical agents, strictly follow the safety precautions.
This method involves treating the walls of the solid fuel boiler by means of a steam generator. This way you not only get rid of dirt, but also of fungus and mold in your heater.
Thus, you can clean the boiler from tar, soot and tarring in any of the following ways. Some will take more time and require a lot of effort from you. Others will get rid of deposits quickly, but will be more expensive. Either way, the choice of method is yours. The main thing is not to forget to regularly clean the solid fuel boiler, because the efficiency of its work will depend on it.