How to properly clean the oven from grease and soot?
Ideally, it is necessary to clean the oven from dirt after each cooking, but more often housewives pay attention to it not more than once a month. There are advantages and disadvantages in using both store chemicals and folk methods of removing grease stains and cinders.
A significant advantage of folk methods is their naturalness and affordability: almost all components are already in the kitchen. Qualitatively clean the oven from grease and soot can be several means:
- With laundry soap;
- baking soda;
- Citric or carbonic acid;
- leavening agent;
To clean the oven, use an abrasive sponge, but carefully, trying not to damage the surface.
A simple way, how to clean the oven, is considered the use of baking soda. It is particularly effective on burned grease and brown stains on glass. Soda is poured on the surface, slightly moisten. Wait 30-60 minutes and rinse.
You can enhance the effect of baking soda with vinegar. But use a different order of application: first vinegar is sprayed or applied with a cloth to the surface, and then the baking soda is sprinkled on the surface. This method helps to release hydrogen, they clean the oven at home effectively. This way you can clean the oven from old grease for 15-20 minutes.
Citric acid and water in a 1:2 ratio is used to wipe the surface of the oven to get rid not only of old carbon deposits, but also of the unpleasant odor inside. There is also a related method. lemon juice is added to a small amount of detergent with water in a heat-resistant container. Put the mixture in the oven and leave it on for half an hour. Then simply wash away the stale soot with light movements of a sponge dampened with water.
Another similar method is the soap solution, which is placed for 30 minutes in the oven and heated. It’s easy to clean the oven of burnt grease.
If you only have salt and detergent on hand, the following procedure can be used:
- Sprinkle salt on the surface of an electric or gas stove;
- heat it up, remove the grease and sludge with a sponge pre-soaked in a solution of detergent and water.
Salt and carbonic acid can fight stale grease. Prepare a solution of 1 kg of salt, 500 ml of water and a little acid. Heat to 120 140 ° and do not touch for half an hour. This quick method without effort and in 5 minutes will help to remove all contamination by wiping the treated surface with a sponge.
Get rid of oven cinders and grease plaque will help remedy the three components:
A layer of mixture is applied to the walls of the household appliance, on the grates, tray, handles and leave for a couple of hours. Rinse with a damp cloth or sponge. After this procedure everything will shine like new.
Hydrogen peroxide and baking soda are good for cleaning the oven. You should take 3% hydrogen peroxide and pour it into ¼ cup of baking soda. The components are thoroughly mixed until a mushy mass is formed. Apply the mixture to the walls of the oven and leave it for 20-30 minutes. Then wipe the mass and rinse with warm water.
Rock salt works well. It is liberally poured on a baking tray and heated in the oven until the salt becomes golden in color. Then take a sponge with detergent and wipe the oven. An effective method for a very dirty oven is ammonia. Cover the surface overnight with it. In the morning wash. You can use ammonia alcohol in another way:
How to Clean an Oven Quickly and Easily
- Heat the oven to 60 70 °;
- prepare 2 containers. with boiled water and ammonia;
- Place the water below the ammonia;
- Close the doors and leave overnight;
- In the morning dilute ammonia with water and add detergent;
- Wipe the walls with the solution obtained.
An unconventional way, how to clean a gas or electric stove, is considered the leavening dough. Wet the surface and sprinkle the soaking agent on it. After a few hours the dirt itself gathers in lumps and can easily be removed with a rag.
How to clean the glass of the oven
Clean the glass from the inside will help a paste of baking soda and water. It is prepared simply:
Apply to all surfaces except heating elements. This method will wash the oven door of brown stains from carbon deposits and grease. Problem areas should be covered with several layers of the mixture.
Wait at least half a day for the appropriate effect. In this interval, you can use the same paste to scrub the grids, trays.
How to clean an electric oven with built-in self-cleaning functions
Thanks to technology, traditional oven cleaning, which involves the use of chemical or folk remedies, is gradually minimized.
How to clean your oven with this simple DIY hack
These scientific methods are based on the pollution process itself. Grease molecules that bind to the surface cause them to polymerize and form a crust.
Different types of oven cleaning are built into the unit’s processor itself. This is the easiest way to keep the oven’s enamel easy to clean. The oven dissolves and removes grease by itself when heated. This function means you don’t have to worry about cleaning the oven anymore. But not all models have this built in.
Pyrolysis self-cleaning electric oven
Oven with pyrolytic cleaning is considered the most practical unit, completely reducing the effectiveness of manual work. The answer to the question of what is pyrolytic cleaning of the oven of an electric stove is the following. it is the elimination of impurities when heated, when they burn to the ground. The process itself includes locking the oven door until the cleaning process is complete. Some models offer temperature levels that allow you to avoid wasting unnecessary energy and overloading the appliance.
The use of pyrolysis implies the use of quality materials that can withstand high temperatures, so such units are expensive. But it is impossible to use the oven in a built-in kitchen set, as the walls of the furniture will start to melt already at 70 100 ° C.
Hydrolysis oven cleaning is the cheapest. The effect on dirt occurs at low-temperature settings with steam. A mold with water is placed in the bottom of the oven. Steam-softened grease is removed with a sponge.
Steam cleaning does not eliminate mechanical work. You can use a clean appliance only after the oven has cooled completely.
Catalytic oven cleaning
Another low-temperature method is catalysis. To answer the question of what is a catalytic oven cleaning, you can examine in detail the composition of the material used to coat the inner enameled surface. These are cerium, copper and manganese oxide. Pores are formed in the enamel with a catalyst that allows the molecules to be broken down into water and carbon already at 140200°C.
It is also an energy-saving method, since it is carried out during the actual cooking process.
But catalytic panels, like grease filters, need to be replaced periodically. You will still need to clean the doors and bottom of the oven yourself.
The preparatory phase
Before you can thoroughly clean your electric oven, you need to prepare it for this procedure.
- Lightly rinse all surfaces (exterior and interior) with a soft cloth dampened in water. This helps to soften grease, soot and the cleaning itself.
- After that, prepare a soapy mixture. Pour a glass of water, preferably a little warmed, into a container and add two tablespoons of any household detergent.
Modern electric ovens are most often covered with enamel. Such a coating can be cleaned in the usual way, with a damp cloth. This applies when the oven is not covered with old carbon deposits or solidified grease. If such a condition is obvious, you can not do without special chemicals.
Modern industry of household chemicals produces a lot of cleaning powders, pastes and gels, so that to get the most suitable option. no problem.
These products differ in composition, consistency and degree of impact on dirty areas. Seemingly nothing could be simpler. Bought, cleaned, enjoyed the result. You can also choose the best stove and oven cleaner from our list.
It is important to remember that not always bought expensive household chemicals can help in the fight against strong and stale dirt.
Before buying, it would not be out of place to familiarize yourself with the specific composition of this or that means, recommendations, and study the instructions for use.
These days anyone can read reviews on the Internet about the chemical agent he or she likes, and draw the appropriate conclusions. The newest product in this area is a special melanin sponge. It’s quite easy to use. moisten, squeeze lightly, and wipe the surface.
The big disadvantage of household cleaners are harmful substances that can cause skin rashes, coughs, and quite strong allergies.
Let’s take a closer look at some of the best known and most popular grades of cleanser.
This oven cleaner is not very popular compared to other analogs. The reason for this is the abrasive substances that can severely damage the surface. In addition, any powder interacts poorly with various contaminants. It takes time for the powder to dissolve thoroughly and react actively with grease or carbon deposits.
In addition, the powder causes allergies more often and more often than other kinds of cleaners.
GALA Lemon Cleaning Powder is well known to housewives. This inexpensive product consists of a complex of active components, which allows you to effectively deal with grease. It has disinfecting properties, neutralizes unpleasant and persistent odors.
After cleaning with the product, it is necessary to thoroughly remove the remains of the powder from all surfaces.
Gels, thanks to their fairly thick base, cope well with the cleaning of dirty surfaces of the oven. This consistency of the product completely covers greasy surfaces and is very convenient for cleaning the ceiling and walls of the oven.
The gel is applied with a sponge, a brush or a rag and remains on the surface for some time, after which it is further processed with a sponge and thoroughly washed off.
To work with such preparations, you must wear protective gloves.
Cleaning gels perfectly remove grease deposits, effectively clean the surfaces of the oven from burnt food particles and even rust.
On the market of household chemicals are in great demand products brands Amway, SanitaR, Faberlic, Eco-max, Sanita “Antifat” and others.
The well-known fact that aviation kerosene is great with grease served as the basis for a liquid spray cleaner. a spray. It should be immediately noted that most of these preparations have a caustic smell, so it is better to work with a respirator.
Such a product works not instantly, to remove difficult, stale fouling will require some time.
To wash old sunburned grease, the spray applied to the walls should be kept for a couple of hours. Always keep the oven closed. Cleaning is done in the standard way. wipe with a rag, rinse thoroughly.
There is almost always a strong, unpleasant smell after spraying. To remove it, you will have to do a little bit of work:
- Keep the oven warm with the door open and the fan on for a few minutes;
- Cool the oven a little, and carefully wipe all internal surfaces with a slice of lemon;
- reheat it.
The aroma of lemon juice is good for removing chemical odors, and the quality of the food during cooking will not suffer at all.
When choosing a cleaning agent for the oven, you should pay attention to the material of which it is made. This will help to better determine the right product.
Tools from the store to clean the oven
The easiest way to quickly clean the soot is to use special products. They are suitable for cleaning ovens “Bosch”, “Electrolux” and other brands of household appliances. These products are specifically designed to remove stale grease from the surface of built-in ovens. They can be used at home.
These products contain acids or alkaline solutions which can easily remove stubborn grease. They are usually available as a gel or spray that can be easily applied to the inner surface of the oven. After applying them, wait 5 to 30 minutes. Then just wipe the surface with a sponge. During this time, the soot will dissolve.
Pay attention to such products that will help to easily clean stale grease:
All these products are corrosive, you must work with them strictly according to the instructions, you need to consider the time of cleaning, method of application.
Be sure to use rubber gloves.
For example, consider how to clean the oven with “Shumanit”.
It is a caustic product that can cope with any kind of dirt. It is often used by professional chefs. If you clean the oven with it at home, you need to act as follows:
- Wear gloves, open the windows;
- Apply the product to the walls, the door;
- Leave the oven closed for 5 minutes;
- Remove with a soft sponge;
- Rinse it with clean water.
If you don’t have such a product at home, you can take those chemicals that are often used. Sometimes hostesses wonder if it is possible to clean the oven with Domestos. Use this product in the form of a cream, and then remove its residue well from the inside of the oven.
How you can clean an oven with vinegar and baking soda
Fresh dirt inside the electric oven is easy to clean with baking soda and vinegar. These are the most readily available and can be found at home. The effectiveness of such cleaning is explained by the fact that these two substances enter into a violent chemical reaction with the release of carbon dioxide. It and destroys a deposit of grease inside the heat chamber.
How to clean the oven this way from old grease?
- Make a paste of 2 tbsp.л. The baking soda and 50 ml of water.
- Apply a thick layer of it to the doors, walls, ceiling and bottom.
- . Wait for 1-2 hours.
- Without removing the baking soda, spray the inside with vinegar using a spray gun.
- Wait for the reaction to pass, usually 15 minutes is enough.
- Rub with a brush, if necessary. scrape off dirt with a spatula.
- Rinse the surface with clean water.
Note: this is the most effective way to clean the inside of the glass from soot.
Removing grease from the oven won’t be a problem if you make it a rule to always clean it immediately after cooking in it. You can use baking soda, vinegar, ammonia or citric acid to remove the soot.
With long-standing traces of grease will have to tinker. not every cleaner is able to remove them. Store-bought grease removers are easy to deal with, but they have many drawbacks.
The best and safest way to remove grease and charred spots from the oven is to use baking soda and vinegar, or a baking powder. But you can hardly remove all dirt at once without steam. Homemade cleaning pastes have proven effective.
A wide range of ovens is available in appliance stores. For those who don’t want to waste time and effort cleaning a household appliance, they suggest purchasing an oven with a self-cleaning system.
The Easy Clean Special Technology. Enables ovens to be manufactured with a special enamel coating that prevents persistent dirt from forming. To carry out the cleaning procedure, a special container is filled with water and detergent designed for these appliances. Then turn on the oven for half an hour at a temperature of one hundred degrees. After the specified time has elapsed, remove the remaining dirt with a soft cloth.
Pyrolytic cleaning. Modern models of ovens have a built-in pyrolytic mode. As a result of pressing a button the temperature of the device rises to five hundred degrees. This automatically locks the door. With this type of appliance in the kitchen, the hostess can always quickly remove grease and soot from the inner surface.
Catalytic cleaning. In household appliances with this function, the dirt removal procedure starts automatically at a temperature of one hundred and forty degrees. The inside of the oven is coated with a special coating that contains acids. As a result, the formation of soot on the walls and the bottom of the oven is not allowed. Having many advantages, catalytic cleaning has several disadvantages, namely:
- Part of the fouling has to be removed by the user.
- The self-cleaning function is drastically reduced when cooking pastry.
- The service life of the coating is five years.
- Oven interior parts need to be cleaned by hand.
- Unpleasant odors develop in the kitchen during cleaning.
- Increased electricity consumption.
The EcoClean system. Not all modern manufacturers of household appliances prefer to use this cleaning system because of the high cost of the material. The oven automatically cleans itself at two hundred and seventy degrees. All unpleasant odors evaporate and dirt turns into a deposit that you have to wash out manually.
To prevent stubborn grease and char stains, take preventive steps. After each cooking, wipe the inside of the oven from traces of grease and food with a damp cloth.
How to wash glass and what to do with rubber seals
First, about the rubber seal on the oven door. It is better not to wash it with aggressive chemicals but to soak in a solution of laundry soap. After a couple of hours, using a sponge and dish detergent, finish cleaning.
To treat particularly dirty areas, apply dish detergent to the sponge and dip in baking soda. Next, the three dirt until it is dissolved. Rinse with water, dry thoroughly and return it to its place afterwards.
To prevent the rubber seal from losing its elasticity, take it out before using the chemicals
The glass of the oven can be cleaned with the same substances as the inside of the oven. It is easier to work with gel, as it spreads easily and evenly and does not spread too much.
What you shouldn’t do when you clean the oven
After cleaning the oven it is forbidden to cook food immediately. If it is not too strong, just heat the oven for 5 to 15 minutes. This will evaporate any residual substances and the smell will disappear.
If it smells too strong, you need to chemically neutralize it. Pour one liter of water into a tray and put 10-15 tablets of activated charcoal. Put it in the oven, turn it on and leave it for half an hour or so. Make sure that the water does not boil out, and top it up if necessary. After turning it off, pour out the liquid and wash the tray. The smell should disappear (or almost disappear).
- Choose your cleaning tools carefully. As already mentioned, you should not use active chemicals for aluminum and rubber.
- Do not use abrasives to clean the walls and glass, you are sure to damage the surface. Even working with baking soda, be careful and do not rub with too much force.
- Also don’t use metal sponges and brushes too hard.
- Don’t use chlorine-containing products.
Clean the oven of stale grease
Stains that are not removed in time can be removed with more aggressive folk remedies than with comparatively fresh ones.
Steaming with vinegar or citric acid
Grease in an acidic environment breaks down into constituent parts, which are then easily washed away. It is difficult to get rid of hardened carbon deposits with baking soda alone. The method described below, involves a comprehensive approach:
- Preheat the oven to 150˚C.
- Take half a liter of water, warm it to boiling, add 50 grams of vinegar to it and stir it. If no vinegar, add 2 teaspoons of dried citric acid.
- Pour the prepared mixture into a deep baking tray or other heat-resistant dish.
- Place the container with the mixture in the lowest position.
- Close the door, increase the temperature to 200 ˚C and leave it like that for about 40 minutes.
- Half an hour after it is turned off, you can clean it with a soapy solution.
Add vinegar, citric acid or a slice of lemon to any areas where there are encrustations. After a quarter of an hour they can be removed without any effort.
An alternative option that is particularly effective if the soot is not too persistent.
- Preheat the oven until the walls are slightly warm.
- Spray the inside surface with vinegar, using a sprayer.
- After a couple of hours you can wash it as usual.
Soda and vinegar or citric acid
- Make a liquid paste by adding baking soda or baking powder to the water.
- Coat the warm walls of the furnace with the prepared mixture, paying special attention to significant accumulations of scale.
- Wait 1-2 hours, then apply vinegar to the dried baking soda layer with a sprayer. This should cause a neutralization reaction, which will ensure easy removal of dirt afterwards.
- After 15 minutes you can wash the oven with a soapy washcloth.
In place of vinegar, an aqueous solution of dried citric acid can be used in the ratio: 1 part powder 14 parts water.
Clean with baking soda or baking powder
These products are very similar in composition, so you can use both separately, but you should not mix them.
- Make a mixture of water and leavening agent for the dough, bringing it to the consistency of liquid sour cream.
- Apply to a lightly heated surface and leave for half an hour, then rinse off.
Soda and hydrogen peroxide
These two effective remedies can be used separately, but if they are combined, you can achieve greater effect in the fight against stale encrustation.
- Dilute one tablespoon of baking soda in five tablespoons of peroxide.
- Use the prepared mixture to spot clean the dirty spots.
- Wait half an hour and then rinse.
This medication is available at any drugstore and with its help you can effortlessly clean the oven of old grease and carbon deposits:
- Apply ammonia to the cold inside walls of the furnace. Use a cloth or washcloth to do this.
- Leave it on overnight. In the morning it is easy to remove the soot if you wash it with dishwashing gel.
An alternative method of cleaning with ammonia alcohol:
- Fill one of the containers with water and put it in the bottom of the oven.
- Turn it on, heat to 100˚C, wait for it to boil.
- Turn the oven off and add ammonia to the other container and put it on top.
- Leave it on overnight.
In the morning mix the contents of the two containers, add soap, stir and wash with the solution obtained, then rinse.
To remove the smell of detergent
After the burnt dirt is removed, the following recommendations will help get rid of the smell of detergents:
- Leave the oven open for half an hour. let it air out.
- Dissolve 10 tablets of activated charcoal in a liter of water, pour into a pot and boil in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Dilute water and vinegar in equal quantities and apply (spray) on the walls. Let it sit for a few minutes and then wipe it dry.
The smell of detergent can be removed by rinsing thoroughly with clean water, several times if necessary.
Recipe 2. Citric acid
How to clean an oven with citric acid?
This recipe will help clean the oven quickly, but can only handle medium dirt. Note, citric acid can be replaced by vinegar or ordinary detergent.
- Before you clean the oven quickly at home, remove all utensils from it, including trays. But leave the grid.
- Heat the oven to 200 degrees.
- In a container, the same tray will do, dilute the citric acid in water. One sachet is enough. If you decide to clean the oven from grease with vinegar. 2 small spoons. Or a little detergent.
- Place the tray with the liquid on the lower level. If you prepared the solution in a bowl, you can put it on the very bottom.
- Allow to stand for about an hour until the water begins to boil and the door is covered with evaporation.
- Turn off the oven and let it cool.
- After about half an hour, begin to quickly clean the oven of fouling and grease. First, use a wet rag to wash the inside of the electric oven and wipe down the grate. Clean particularly dirty places with a stiff sponge, baking soda or lemon juice.
- And finally put the trays and dishes back in their original place.
Recipe 3. Special product
How to clean the oven with special products?
When home recipes don’t help effectively clean the oven, try special products: Amway, Shumanit and others. For example, Amway is liked by housewives because it has no smell, it can be used economically, and the kit has a brush that makes cleaning the oven easier. Faberlic impresses with the price, but you should not expect it to suffice for a large number of cleanings. And Shumanit has a convenient form. a spray, it is quite pleasant in price, but with a pungent smell.
- Before you clean a gas oven or an electric oven from grease, take out the rack and cookware.
- Clean the oven door and the cavity. To do this, apply the product with a brush or small brush. But it is a good idea to open the window and wear gloves.
- Allow to stand for half an hour.
- Use a cloth to clean the oven of carbon deposits and grease stains. Thanks to the tool, the dirt is separated easily.
- Rinse off any gel residue with water. If it’s hard to get to certain places, this spray can help.
- Put the grate and cookware back in place. Clean the outside of the oven door.
The benefits of professional cleaners over homemade ones
Housewives appreciate folk remedies for cleaning. baking soda, vinegar, and soap solution. for their affordability and seeming innocuousness. But home oven and stove cleaning methods are inferior to household chemistry, and here’s why.
- Modern household appliances are made with delicate materials. Professional products take into account the type of coating and do not harm it, which can not be said about folk remedies. For example, alcohol destroys enamel, and citric acid and vinegar corrode metal parts.
- Household chemicals work more effectively than traditional methods. Specially developed formulas are aggressive to dirt and often do not require thorough manual cleaning of the oven. Most professional cleaners rinse off with just a little water or are biodegradable. When using home oven cleaning methods, the hostess will have to apply mechanical effort.
- Professional cleaners are environmentally friendly. They contain biodegradable surfactants (surfactants) or no more than 5% of biochemical surfactants, are harmless to the environment and harmless to humans when used correctly. The aroma of household chemicals evaporates more quickly than odors from home remedies. This is important for the cupboard where the food is prepared, because no one is likely to be satisfied with roast beef that smells like soap or muffins with vinegar.
- Household chemicals save time for the hostess. Professional concentrates have a narrowly targeted action and quickly cope with specific contaminants. If you consider that time and effort spent on cleaning is money, then artificial cleaners are more profitable than improvised home remedies.
And in order to choose the right product that will quickly remove soot and not spoil the surface of the stove, read the instructions on the package.
Fouling and grease in the oven when heated emits substances harmful to humans, so regularly clean the cabinet with folk remedies or household chemicals. Professional cleaners are more effective than home remedies. When choosing a cleaner, focus not on the price, but on the composition.
Acids and complexing agents remove rust and scale due to metal oxides; surfactants remove burnt food; lye removes grease.
Non-abrasive products in the form of gels or concentrates work faster than abrasive preparations, but when working with them be sure to use gloves, a mask and ventilate the room.