Top remedies and filters for descaling the boiler
Special maintenance is necessary to maintain the working condition and extend the life of the heating equipment. Scale removal of the boiler at home is done by one’s own hands, or use the help of specialists.
An alternative solution. water treatment, which eliminates the causes of calcium deposits. Let’s take a closer look at these technologies to choose the best option.
Profile manufacturers produce different types of heaters in this category:
In all cases, there is contact between the liquid and the hot work surface that gradually becomes encrusted. Solids form from dissolved hardness salts as the temperature rises.
The porous layer is characterized by low thermal conductivity and therefore provokes the following negative phenomena:
Slowing down to the set temperature mode;
errors in the operation of control and monitoring equipment.
The limescale accumulation is accelerated considerably above 60°C even at a hardness much lower than the sanitary standard of 7 °F.
This means that boiler heating elements must be cleaned often enough. Experienced professionals recommend regularly monitoring the condition of heating elements to arrange for the timely removal of accumulated deposits.
Calcium porous layer is destroyed with an acid solution. For correct reproduction of the technology it is recommended to view thematic video of limescale boiler heating element cleaning with your own hands. The corresponding material can be found by searching on the internet, indicating the specific equipment brand in the request.
A typical algorithm of actions is given in the following list:
fill the working tank and shut off the supply from the main pipe;
heat the water to the maximum, pour the acid solution;
Control visually the process of destruction of calcium deposits;
After cleaning, the boiler is rinsed (2-3 times) and the temperature is raised to 40°C.
Instead of chemical agents, you can apply a mechanical method of cleaning an indirect heating boiler or other equipment of the category under consideration. In this case, use wooden scrapers and similar tools that will not damage the elements of the structure.
To clean the boiler from scale with citric acid, it is necessary to prepare a solution in the proportion of 20 g of crystals per liter of water. The quantity of the reagent is calculated from the working volume. Duration of treatment can exceed several days with a thick layer of solid scale. Increasing the temperature accelerates the decomposition of calcium.
If you choose table vinegar (9%), a solution with water is created in the ratio of 1 to 10. Processing is carried out according to the above algorithm. If a more concentrated essence (70%) is used, 13 ml per liter of water.
Specialty products with this common popular name come in a variety of designs. About 30-40% of the composition is sulfamic, oxalic or other acid.
Add auxiliary components:
See accompanying documentation for dosage and other information for proper use of the specific product.
Use limescale protection instead of complicated descaling procedures. Study of standard samples of specialized equipment will help you choose the best option.
This manufacturer offers main-line filters with plastic and steel housings in the appropriate category. For detention of large mechanical impurities it is recommended to install polypropylene module.
A higher level of purification is provided by the use of a combined cartridge with the proprietary Aqualen filler. Two working layers are created in this device. with fiber and activated carbon. The working zone prevents even individual dissolved chemical compounds, eliminates unpleasant tastes and odors.
If you choose this filter, even for the basic model will have to pay more. from 31 thousand. However, such an investment is justified by several features:
Peculiarities of cleaning a dry heating element
Dry TEN. this is a special analogue of the traditional element, which has a ceramic coating. The approach to its cleaning at home is not much different from the above, but still has a number of nuances:
- In this case, cleaning the water heater prohibits the use of mechanical pre-treatment method. The appearance of even the smallest scratches on the surface of the product can adversely affect its functionality.
- Not only citric acid, but also a concentrated vinegar solution can be used to soak the item in order to remove scale. In addition, you can pick up a suitable version of household chemicals from a specialty store. The main thing is not to deviate from the rules stated in the instructions.
Recommended: How to choose a good electric meat grinder for the home?
After completion of all works the heating element is rinsed in clean water and installed back in its place. It is not necessary to dry it! The appliance is ready for further use.
Preparing for work
The first thing to do is to disconnect the water heater from the power supply. Then shut off the water supply by turning the valves on the connected pipes. Before starting the cleaning process, be sure to drain the water from the tank.
To the drain valve you need to connect a hose, through which will drain Source santehnapevi.ru
These are the instructions of this stage of work, which is designed for a particular variant of the installation of the water heater.
Diagram for correctly connecting the boiler to the water supply Source wp.com
The installation of water heaters can be different, which makes some adjustments to the process of draining water. For example, if there are no drain taps, the drain may be by means of a safety valve. The pipe that supplies hot water from the boiler must be unscrewed and installed in a bucket. The valve is then removed and the water is drained.
See also: Directory of companies that specialize in engineering systems (heating, water, sewerage and other) and related work
How to clean water heaters of different models from the smell with your own hands and how to clean the heater from scale
Over time, the electric water heater begins to work worse. It is slower and weaker heats water, consumes more electricity, and can fail at all. In such cases, you should not rush to call a handyman or buy a new device. First you should try to clean the water heater, and most likely it will work as before.
TIGER – HOW TO CLEAN YOUR ELECTRIC AIRPOT WATER HEATER BY HEAP SENG GROUP
Why does the water heater become dirty?? Many of its parts are in constant contact with tap water, so many chemicals are deposited on them.
Most of these deposits accumulate on the walls of the boiler, as well as the magnesium element and the heating element. Limescale prevents heat from flowing from the heating parts to the water.
Therefore it increases the electricity consumption and there is a risk of burning out the heater. The conclusion is simple: if the boiler has become slower to heat water, it must be cleaned urgently.
Electrolux storage water heater
How to Clean a Water Heater
For convenience, it is better to adhere to the following order of cleaning.
Before working on the heater it must be disconnected from the power supply. It is more convenient to do so:
- De-energize the heater and make sure it is not connected to electricity.
- At the bottom of the device (usually there) remove the plastic protective cover. It is attached by bolts, so you will need a suitable screwdriver to unscrew them.
- Carefully disconnect the wires from the thermo regulator terminals and from the tank itself.
- Disconnect the power cable from the input. After that you need to isolate the bare wires.
It is now safe to do other work. But before you start cleaning, you must disconnect the electric heater from the water system and drain the remaining water from it.
Some heaters do not have a dump valve. This feature is more common among models of Ariston brands. In this case to drain water it is necessary to unscrew the valve itself. Before you do this, you need to install a container underneath it, otherwise you will have to collect water from the floor.
Before you start cleaning, it is necessary to dismantle the heating element. Without this it is impossible to get to the inside of the boiler. On all models of heaters the heating element is fixed in a similar way. To remove it you need to unscrew the nut, which is located at the outlet of this part. After that, the heating element, the metal plate and the seal are easily removed.
Cleaning of electric water heaters
The cleaning process is very simple. Limescale can be removed from the walls of the tank and other parts with an ordinary rag. For greater efficiency, remove the removable water heater and rinse it with water.
Particular care should be taken to remove plaque from the surface of the heating element. If it is pressed hard, it can deform its structure. A piece of sandpaper or metal brush will be fine for cleaning.
It happens that the heating element cannot be cleaned. Severe contamination usually appears if the device has not been cleaned for more than two years. In this case, only the replacement of the heating element for a new one will help. It is worth carefully selecting a new part, it must exactly match the size, power and method of connection to the main device.
When cleaning, it is necessary to check the magnesium anode. It is worth replacing if it is worn out and became less than 20 centimeters.
The water heater can be put back in according to the diagram above. All the above actions should be done in the reverse order. It is desirable to check all joints for tightness after installation.
To clean the water heater does not turn into a breakdown is worth remembering:
- Do not remove limescale inside the boiler using sharp and hard objects. They can scratch the enamel coating and the tank will rust.
- It is better not to touch the magnesium anode with bare hands.
- All wires need to be properly connected. Only when the assembly is finished and the tank is filled with water can the boiler be energized.
After installing the boiler, you need to observe its work. And also to pass through it 50 to 100 liters of hot water to flush the inside.
Cleaning water heaters inside with your own hands from the smell
Many water heater owners eventually notice that heated water has started to smell awful. This unbearable odor can have several causes:
Water with hydrogen sulfide is impossible to smell
There is a way to determine which of these cases occurs:
In order to eliminate the unpleasant smell due to bad water or rusty pipes you can do the following:
In the first case, you do not have to wait for someone to come and fix the problem. Therefore, if you do not have the strength to tolerate smelly water, it is easier and faster to put a filter.
Problems with microorganisms in the boiler are solved in a different way:
To prevent smelly water from the boiler again, it is necessary to observe simple preventive measures:
What’s the difference between cleaning a storage tank and a flow heater
The previously described applies to storage-type water heaters. The flow-through water heater differs from it by the device and principle of work.
In the flow-through type, the water does not stagnate in the tank, because there is simply no such tank. Water heats up during passage through narrow tube. It is not stored anywhere, and immediately after heating it is fed from the faucet.
How often to clean the water heater
Manufacturers recommend cleaning the water heater once a year. But masters of boiler maintenance do not fully agree with them and say: it depends on the hardness of the water. It is better to stick to the rule. clean the water heater as needed.
After 1-1.5 years after the installation of the device should carry out preventive cleaning. If the plaque will be more than one kilogram, the next such procedure should be carried out not later than a year.
How to clean the water heater (boiler) from scale
How to clean a water heater? Many believe that for this work it is better to call a master. We will tell you how to clean the appliance yourself at home.
Poor-quality water with impurities destroys parts. Cleaning them and the tank of the heater is carried out to extend the service life. Read our publication and make sure: it is possible to maintain the technique with your own hands.
When and for what to clean the boiler
Water heater must be cleaned regularly. Poor-quality water, which flows through the water supply system, over time breaks the work of the equipment. This is why experts recommend the installation of additional water filters.
Hard water negatively affects not only the equipment, but also human health: the deterioration of the skin. Also twice as much detergent is consumed.
How to understand that it is time to clean the boiler? Intensive use is already an indication for cleaning. Also pay attention to such signs:
- Prolonged water heating.
- Increased electricity consumption.
- Noise is heard during operation (this is scale deposited on the bottom, creating friction against the walls of the tank).
- The water has become yellowish in color with an unpleasant odor.
- The walls of the body overheat strongly (may heat the surrounding equipment, walls, outlets).
- A hissing noise is heard during heating.
- Boiler switches on and off.
How often should the heater tank be descaled?
The frequency is determined by several factors:
- If you have a water of high hardness (with a lot of impurities), clean the technique every 6-9 months. If the water is with normal impurities, then it is enough to perform the procedure once every 2-2.5 years.
- If you constantly use the temperature mode above 60 degrees requires more frequent cleaning.
Periodically it is worth looking into the tank by lifting the top cover. If the magnesium anode is almost worn out, it is time to carry out preventive maintenance and replacement.
It is possible to clean the technique with your own hands:
Boiler Cleaning at Home
This is not an easy process and requires some experience in disassembling the equipment. We will describe the sequence of works.
Preparing the tools and the water heater
Now you need to prepare the technique. How to do without disassembling the boiler and clean it without removing it from the wall? Look inside the case. If contamination is slight and has accumulated near the heater, flush out the debris through the faucet. Let the dirty water drain off.
If buildup on the walls of the tank and parts must be sure to remove the housing, disassemble, remove and clean the elements.
How to drain the water
First of all, disconnect the water heater from the mains. If it is above the bathtub, then it is sufficient to screw the heating element inside and empty the device. But if the heater is mounted on a flange and can be pulled out, it is better to empty the tank beforehand.
- Turn off the water in the apartment.
- Near the water heater turn off the cold water valve and leave the hot water valve open. Wait for the liquid to run off (use a container beforehand).
- Another option: connect a hose to the nozzle and lower it into the sink to drain.
If you are not satisfied with this position, you can drain the water through the safety valve. Remove it and allow the water to run off.
Dismantling the heater
- Open the bottom panel. It can be fastened on the latches or bolts.
- Disconnect the wiring from the heater (take pictures of the connections beforehand).
- If the flange is secured with bolts, unscrew them and pull out the heater.
How to dismantle the heating element in different brands:
- “Ariston. The element is attached to the flange, so you need to push it inside, turn it and take it out. Flushing the water heater can be done without removing the body, because all the elements are at the bottom.
- “Termex.”. Dismantle in the same way”.
If you have a technique from another manufacturer. “Timberg”, “Polaris”, “Titan”, look at the manual.
You can clean the heater from the scale by mechanical means. If the scale is loose, simply clean it off with a knife. It doesn’t work? Then gently press the deposits with pliers, they will fall off on their own. After flushing with water.
Next to the heating element is a magnesium anode. If the wear is severe, it is better to replace it. The diameter of the thread will help you to choose the right element.
It is most convenient to remove the housing and rinse dirt under the shower. Mucus and small deposits can be removed with a sponge. Only do not use hard brushes and abrasives. you will damage the enamel of the body.
Remove heavy plaque with a special agent. You can use:
- Citric acid. Dilute 50 g per 1 liter of water.
- Vinegar essence: 2 teaspoons per 1 liter.
- Acetic acid (8%): 5 soup spoons per liter.
Pour the solution into the tank and leave it on overnight. Then drain the contents, rinse the walls with warm water.
If the device is connected, there is another way to proceed. Leave only a third of the water inside and fill up with the solution. Set the temperature to 90-95 degrees. Allow to stand for 5-7 hours. Then drain the solution and rinse the tank.
Eliminate unpleasant smells
If you can smell foul odors coming from the water heater, it is time to clean it. What is the reason for this happening:
- Water contains a lot of sulfates. They come into contact with the magnesium anode, hydrogen sulfide is released. To eliminate the reaction, you will have to remove the magnesium rod.
- Stale water is a breeding ground for bacteria. If you have not used the unit for a long time, set the temperature to the highest setting and heat the contents.
Nothing helps? Then you need to take the water to the SES for analysis. The results will show what the cause of the problem is.
Assembling the machine
Before assembling the boiler in the reverse order, carefully inspect all parts.
- If the rubber seal is worn out, it is better to install a new one. If it is still normal, lubricate the gasket surface and all rubber elements with sealant.
- Inspect the heating element. If damaged or worn, install a new element.
- Do not forget to replace the magnesium anode, it protects the body from rust.
- After installing the flange and securing the bolts, make the connection to the pipeline.
How to use your water heater
Proper care and use will ensure the long life of your heater. To prevent scale formation, install water pre-filters, and to avoid rust, replace the metal sewer pipes with plastic ones.
Every 5-6 months, perform preventive cleaning of the boiler by chemical means (citric acid or vinegar). This will prevent significant deposits from forming, eliminating the need to disassemble the unit or make costly repairs.
To maintain the normal operation of the unit and prevent the reproduction of pathogenic microorganisms in the tank, periodically turn the unit on to the maximum temperature
Proper operation of the boiler, proper maintenance and timely cleaning will help to keep the unit in working order for a long time.
In order to understand the nuances of cleaning the boiler, watch the following videos:
Young mother, wife and freelancer at the same time. Being a lawyer by education, I got used to collect and provide the most complete and reliable information. Constantly improving in the professional sphere and strives for personal growth and development.
Found a mistake? Select the text with the mouse and press:
Before you remove various stains from clothes, you need to find out how safe the chosen solvent is for the fabric itself. It is applied in a small amount on the little noticeable area of the thing on the underside for 5-10 minutes. If the material retains its structure and color, you can move on to stains.
It’s not just plates and cups that wash well in the dishwasher. It can be loaded with plastic toys, glass lamp shades and even dirty vegetables such as potatoes, but only without the use of detergents.
PVC foil stretched ceilings can withstand from 70 to 120 liters of water per 1m2 of its surface (depending on the size of the ceiling, its stretching and the quality of the foil). So you can not be afraid of leaks from the neighbors from above.
There are special traps to combat moths. In the sticky layer with which they are covered, pheromones of females are added, attracting males. By sticking to the trap, they are knocked out of the breeding process, which leads to a reduction in the moth population.
The easiest way to remove limescale and deposits from the sole of your iron is with table salt. Sprinkle a thick layer of salt on the paper, heat the iron to maximum and run the iron over the salt pad several times, pressing lightly.
Fresh lemon is not only good for tea: you can wipe dirt off the surface of an acrylic bathtub by rubbing it with half a slice of citrus fruit or you can quickly wash the microwave by putting a container of water and lemon slices in it for 8-10 minutes at maximum power. The softened dirt is simply wiped off with a sponge.
If your favorite garments have the first signs of incubation in the form of unkempt lint, you can get rid of them with a special machine. a shaver. It quickly and effectively shaves away clumped fibers and gives things back their dignified look.
Gold and silver threads, which were used for clothing embroidery in the olden days, are called kanitel. To obtain them, the metal wire is long pulled by pincers to the state of the necessary fineness. Hence the expression “to tug (breed) gruel”. “to engage in a long monotonous work” or “delay the performance of the case”.
The habit of “economical” use of the washing machine can lead to unpleasant odor in it. Washing at temperatures below 60 ℃ and short rinses allow fungi and bacteria from dirty clothes to remain on the inner surfaces and actively reproduce.
When it is better to contact a master
Cleaning the water heater, when it does not need to be disassembled, is not a difficult process. But there are still situations when it is recommended to call a specialist. For example, if there is a leak or the equipment does not turn on. The latter situation occurs due to problems with the temperature sensor or power cable. Such problems can only be corrected by masters.
Regular proper cleaning, preventive flushing, timely replacement of the magnesium anode can simplify the operation of the indirect water heater or another type of water heater. Otherwise, the equipment will be out of order and will need expensive repairs or even the purchase of a new one.
When it is necessary to clean the water heater?
Water heaters are divided into flow-through and storage. The first work directly through the faucet. Water is not heated above 50 degrees, respectively, the likelihood of scaling is minimal. Scaling of the water heater can appear after 3-5 years, and will not affect the operation of the heater itself.
The second, storage systems, include a tank of 10 to 300 liters, a heating element and a temperature sensor. Due to the fact that the internal parts are constantly in water, they are most susceptible to the manifestation of limescale.
Before exploring cleaning methods, you need to figure out at what point it’s time to get busy flushing the boiler. There are several signs to which you should pay attention:
- The water has acquired a yellow tint, an unpleasant smell has appeared.
- Heating water takes longer.
- Boiler does not turn off on its own, power consumption increases.
- A striking indicator. contamination of plumbing fixtures, a white deposit on the taps.
- An abnormal noise appears (the accumulated scale starts to scratch the walls of the pipes in the boiler).
- The boiler does not heat water to the desired temperature.
If none of the signs are present, then there is no cause for concern. But even in this case, experts recommend preventive cleaning of the water heater at least once every few years. If any of the above items is detected, you should immediately proceed to the cleaning process.
Ways to clean the water heater
Depending on the water hardness, limescale deposits, the very same scale is collected in the water heater. First, the growth covers the TEN. the main heating device, and then the walls of the boiler itself.
The boiler is the most hermetically sealed construction. To understand which method of cleaning is most effective, you need to visually assess how large the outer holes, and whether it will be possible to provide access to the water heater.
Note. Before you begin cleaning the boiler, it is important to disconnect it from the power supply.
To use the mechanical method of cleaning you will need to remove the equipment. Cleaning of the water heater and all internal parts is impossible without disassembly.
You will need the following tools. wrench set, pliers, screwdrivers, metal brush, plastic or wooden scraper.
Here are step-by-step instructions to prepare the boiler for cleaning:
After disconnecting from the socket, shut off the water supply taps, unplug the pipe connections.
Begin draining the tank: connect a hose to the faucet and lead it into the toilet/bathtub. The process of emptying the boiler will take 15-20 minutes.
Begin disassembly. Unscrew all retaining nuts and self-tapping screws. Remove the contacts that clamp the power wires. Take the boiler off the wall and turn it upside down.
Allow maximum access. Push up the flange, which helps seal the pipes, and remove the heating element together with the thermostat. It is necessary to completely disassemble the entire water heater system.
Inspection of the condition of the tank walls and the heating element.
The coating of the tank walls are usually enameled or ceramic. They rarely leave a large amount of scale on them, so you can wash the boiler with soft kitchen sponges or rags. No rough action, the protective layer on the walls of the boiler must not be damaged.
Heating element itself tends to be covered with a thick layer of scale, rust and other dirt deposits. The main growth should be removed with a knife or plastic spatula. Proceed slowly and smoothly, but quickly. As long as the heating element is wet, dirt residue will come off more easily than when it is dry.
Next, for cleaning it is recommended to use the nozzle on the angle grinder or drill, which will neatly remove the layer of scale with a metal brush. A modern alternative is wire brushes and sponges made of abrasive fiber or nylon. The lint will successfully cope with a thick layer of plaque and will not damage the surface. Many sources advise using sandpaper. Boiler manufacturers advise against this tool, it can easily damage the copper sheath of the heating element. After cleaning is complete, the tank should be rinsed with water.
Tip. When disassembling the boiler, it is important to check the condition of the magnesium anode in the boiler. This is the part that protects against corrosion and is located near the heating element.
You should not use force on the anode to remove the scale, the tubular element of the water heater is fragile, it can be destroyed. The magnesium rod is recommended to be replaced every two years. Approximately during this period, it is thinned or completely disintegrated.
Small boilers are weak in mechanical maintenance, so there is an alternative. The chemical method of flushing the water heater is used. The main advantage. the process takes place without disassembling the boiler. Before you run to the store and buy cleaning solutions, it is worth to study the accompanying instructions to the boiler, or consult the manufacturer. It is important to understand what kind of chemical composition to use. acid or alkaline. Next, selected means for cleaning:
– It is convenient and easy, is available in any home. You will need 20-50 grams of powder per 1 liter of water. Proportion 1/3. It will help to clean the water heater’s heating element from scale, rust, and prevent the appearance of corrosion.
- Vinegar solution is another inexpensive solution. Dilute 100 ml of an ordinary 9% vinegar in 1 liter of water. Poured through a hose with a water supply, dissolves limescale, and all limescale after 30-35 minutes.
- Baking soda. when using it, you need to watch the temperature of heating, it must not be more than 55 degrees, otherwise the composition will begin to decompose. 25 grams of soda per liter of water, ratio 1/12. In the same way as citric acid lifts the rust and prevents it from settling.
- Reagents are specialized products that are designed for cleaning boilers and heating appliances. In the departments of household chemistry there is a wide variety of means to combat plaque. To save money, you can pay attention to the protection for electric kettles, such as “Antikipin. The composition is the same, but the price is much lower.
Tip. Study the features of the boiler. Depending on the manufacturer, solutions are poured into containers for different times.
After choosing a suitable solution, move on to a set of simple actions:
- shut off the water, disconnect the tubes;
- Drain part of the liquid, leaving 1/3 in the tank;
- Put a hose on the incoming tube, from the other side to pour the cleaning solution;
- Wait from 30 minutes to several hours (depending on the composition and degree of contamination);
- Drain the residue through the faucet, flush the tank.
Advice. Put an extra tap on the tank spigot so that you do not have to drain dirty water through the pipe.
Similar to the tank, chemical cleaning is excellent for the heating element device. A small tank is filled with water and an oxidizer. The heater should be soaked in the obtained solution. For an effective action, it can be heated. 30-40 minutes, and the limescale is gone. As the oxidizer will approach, both the folk remedies listed above, and the chemical ones bought in a store.
Why the boiler must be cleaned
Water itself is an aggressive environment for many metals, and the presence of various impurities in it intensifies this effect many times over. Its quality also depends on the state of the pipeline, which are sometimes in a very poor condition, saturating the liquid with iron oxides and other mechanical impurities. In addition, hard tap water contains calcium and magnesium salts, which form a scale on the heating and thermoregulation elements, as well as the walls of the vessel.
Limescale and rust are the two eternal enemies of any water heater, and the electric boiler is no exception, despite all tricks manufacturers.
It is recommended to descale the boiler at least once a year. This reduces the amount of energy consumed by the device, and also eliminates the possibility of breakdowns associated with overheating the heating element.
Thorough cleaning will not only increase the life of the water heater, but also save energy
Limescale and rust removal methods
The owners of small boilers with the volume of 10 to 50 liters can remove the device from the wall. It will facilitate its disassembly and further activities to clean the tank from scale and rust.
Before you remove the boiler, you must disconnect it from the network, shut off the valves and drain the water from the water heater.
Owners of large-volume devices, from 80 to 200 liters, it will be very difficult to do this. Therefore it is better to clean such boilers without dismantling.
The technology of cleaning is the same for flow-through water heaters of any volume. Performing preventive work is possible in two ways:
There are many disadvantages as well as advantages of each of the named methods.
In the mechanical method of cleaning it is necessary to disassemble the device, associated with the risk of damaging the heating and control elements. The chemical method is simpler in nature, but less effective, and in addition, its results can be judged only by indirect signs. Conducting a combined chemical cleaning followed by mechanical removal of dirt from the boiler gives the best results.
This involves disassembling the appliance to gain access to the internal tank. To do this, you will need such a tool:
Before you begin disassembling the device, you must shut off the cold water supply and open the hot water flow tap. After all the water flows out, you can begin the process of dismantling the elements of the water heater.
All operations connected with the cleaning of the boiler, its disassembly and removal must be performed with prior de-energizing of the device (complete disconnection of the power plug).
The most complicated variant is possible, when the hole of the hot water outlet is so clogged that it is impossible to drain the liquid. In this case, arm yourself with a lot of patience and a pair of basins, one of which should be placed under the bottom of the boiler and the other keep in readiness.
Disassemble the unit in the following order:
- Remove the protective panel and the thermostat handle;
- Remove the screws to access the electrical panel;
- Disconnect the boiler power cable and remove the connection terminals from the heating element and the thermostat;
- carefully start unscrewing the flange with the thermostat and the heating element. When water stops flowing, remove the flange completely.
In order not to confuse in the electric circuit of the device take a picture of its internal connections with any camera.
Then it is necessary to clean the surface of the fuel element from the scale with a knife, chisel or other sharp object. When doing so, be careful not to damage the tube of the heating element.
Scale on the walls carefully remove with a plastic scraper, taking care not to scratch the surface of the internal tank.
After completing the work it is necessary to assemble the boiler in the reverse order.
Assembling the device, pay attention to the condition of the magnesium electrode. It may be so worn that it needs to be replaced. It is customary to replace the magnesium rod when its length is reduced to 20cm or less.
For chemical cleaning of the tank interior it is necessary to remove limescale deposits that have fallen off the walls. The tank is then filled with water with the addition of special chemical reagents. If your water supply system suffers from “rusty” disease, use preparations containing in their composition orthophosphoric acid. This is one of the few acids that reacts only with metal compounds. AlphaPhos or Thermagent Active achieve good results. If these products are not available to you, use Cillit ZN/I, Cillit FFW/TW, Aipacon and others. When purchasing, keep in mind that formulations based on other acids are more aggressive to the boiler itself. Therefore, in case of prolonged operation and heavy wear and tear, it is better to use surfactants containing surfactants, such as Steeltex or Alumtex.
In the case of high water hardness in your mains, it is better to use agents specifically designed for decalcification.
After soaking for a certain amount of time (usually specified by the manufacturer of the product on the package), dirty water is drained and the boiler is washed with warm water with the addition of detergent.
Aids for chemical cleaning of boilers
Citric acid or vinegar
Excellent results in the fight against rust and scale on the walls showed a solution of citric acid. Like any other acid, “citric acid” promotes the softening of lime scale when it has already passed to the stage of calcium stone. The hot solution of this reagent is good for removing rust and other contaminants from the internal tank.
To prepare the cleaning composition take citric acid at the rate of 5 g of the substance per liter of water. Dissolve the powder in hot water and pour into the boiler. Drain the solution after 5 to 6 hours and wash the container.
Instead of citric acid, acetic acid can be used by preparing a 10 percent solution of acetic acid in water.
Easy and effective cleaning tools
In the case of large-volume tanks it is difficult to conduct chemical cleaning, because this method is associated with the dismantling of the device. Nevertheless, there is a way in which you can pour the solution into the tank without disassembling the device, without removing the boiler from the wall. This operation is carried out in this order:
- Disconnect cold water supply and disconnect its connection to the boiler “cold” tap;
- Opening any hot water supply tap, drain 2/3 of its part from the tank;
- dissolve citric acid at the rate of 5 g per liter of the tank capacity in 2 liters of hot water;
- connect a flexible hose to the cold water tap;
- raising the edge of the hose above the water level in the boiler (at least half its height), using a watering can pour the solution into the hose;
- pour in additional 1 liter of water for complete passage of the solution in the tank;
- Remove the flexible hose and reconnect the device to the water supply line and open the liquid supply;
- After 5-6 hours the cold water tap is closed and the hot water tap is opened, draining the polluted solution.
Water heater cleaning stages
In order to minimize the number of breakages, you should not buy boilers with a heater made of black and galvanized metal. These materials do not heat water well and are less resistant to the appearance of rust. The boiler cleaning process is divided into several consecutive steps.
The process of draining the water
Before starting the cleaning process, the water must be drained from the appliance. If the heater is over a bathtub, a container can be placed underneath and the liquid can be drained while the heater is removed. If the heating element is located directly in the tank, you can perform two processes simultaneously. In order to drain the water, you need to:
- Disconnect the water heater from the mains (preferably done in advance so that the device cools down), close the water intake tap.
- Shut off the cold water, open the hot water at the nearest faucet and wait for it to drain.
Another way to drain the water is to use the Emergency Relief Valve. Disconnect the hot water pipe and put a container under it. Slowly unscrew the valve until the water runs out.
Preparatory step before starting the cleaning process
Cleaning the boiler is a fairly simple process that you can do yourself. When the liquid has been drained, open the tank and remove the heating element. How to disassemble the boiler? First you need to remove the cover, which is attached by means of screws. There are models where the necessary parts are hidden behind the plastic panel, which is held on clamps. To remove it, you need to lift the bar carefully with a screwdriver.
It is necessary to take a picture of the wiring diagram so that after cleaning everything can be assembled correctly. Then disconnect the wires. This is necessary to gain access to the thermostat in order to remove it.
Scale is the main enemy of water heaters. If preventive cleaning is not carried out, the heating element can break down permanently. Regular cleaning will save on unexpected costs and extend the life of the appliance. Carefully remove the heating element. A magnesium anode is located next to it, which prevents corrosion on the inside of the tank. It is necessary to check its integrity. If it is less than 20 cm. replace the anode with a new one.
Descaling the heater
Clean the heating element immediately after removing it. This is because it is much easier to remove wet limescale than dry limescale. There are different methods of cleaning the heating element:
- Mechanical. Assumes manual cleaning of the heating element. It must be carried out with a knife, screwdriver or stiff brush. Be extremely careful not to damage the integrity of the heating element. After removing the layer of limescale, it is necessary to treat the surface with an emery cloth.
- The chemical method consists in the application of household chemicals that remove limescale. You need to take a metal bucket, dilute the substance with water (the proportions should be indicated on the box with the remedy) and leave until the scale is removed. To save money, you can prepare at home the following composition: take 0.2 liters of vinegar or a tablespoon of citric acid per liter of water. Dip the heating element in the solution and leave it to soak for a day or so. To speed up the process, place the bucket on the stove and boil for 30 minutes.
Cleaning the heating tank
Flushing the heating tank is just as important as cleaning the heating element. The inner surface of the tank can be treated with different coatings. Titanium is the hardest and most corrosion and rust resistant material. To clean the tank, put a bucket under the opening of the tank. Then open the cold water supply and rinse the tank, waiting until the liquid is clear.
In case of heavy soiling it is necessary to remove limescale manually. Do not use abrasive agents or hard objects. this could damage the enamel coating. Do not touch the magnesium anode, because you can damage it and then inevitably have to buy a new one. If scale removal is unsuccessful, the heater must be disassembled and cleaned using chemicals.
Large capacity boiler
If the boiler capacity is large, it is difficult to conduct cleaning with the dismantling of the heater. But there is a way by which the cleaning can be done without opening and removing the tank. The process should be carried out in this sequence:
- Shut off the cold water and disconnect the cold water inlet from the boiler’s cold tap.
- Open any hot water tap and drain 2/3 of its volume.
- Dissolve citric acid in two liters of hot water. Use 5 grams of citric acid for each liter of water in the tank.
- Connect a flexible hose to the cold tap on the boiler.
- Pour the prepared solution into the hose, then add another 1 liter of clean water. This is necessary to flush the residual solution out of the hose.
- Remove the flexible hose and reconnect it to the water mains. To let water into the boiler.
- After 6 hours, close the cold water tap. Open the hot faucet and drain the dirty solution.
Cleaning of the boilers Ariston and Termex
Many questions owners have about how to wash a water heater of different brand models, such as Ariston, Termex, and what they have features. You will learn about this below.
Actually the process itself is not much different for all models and is carried out according to standard rules.
The first thing we will consider is how to clean the boiler Ariston at home. As in all other devices of this type, all work begins with disassembly.
In the Ariston water heating appliances the flange is attached differently. To disconnect it, you need to push the flask upwards, turn it clockwise and pull it towards you.
According to the standard points performs cleaning of the boiler and other components. Installation is done necessarily in reverse order of items.
Interesting will be a video, how to clean the Ariston boiler with a screwdriver and two wrenches.
Cleaning the heating element and flushing the Termex boiler is carried out in the same standard way. The magnesium anode should be replaced once a year. In order to extend the life of the electric tube heater we install a filter.
How to clean the Thermex water heater from scale you will learn in the video.
Now you know how to clean the water heater Ariston and Termex. But after carrying out all the procedures, it is important to remember the following points:
- Power can only be switched on if the tank is completely filled with liquid. Otherwise, non-compliance can lead to the breakdown of the electric tube heater.
- After complete assembly, you need to leave the boiler, filled with water, to function for a couple of hours more. It is obligatory to do this under supervision, make sure that the construction does not leak.
- At the end there is a mandatory flushing of the boiler.
All operations are carried out as carefully and cautiously as possible to avoid the need for costly repairs.
How to Clean Limescale Sediment Out Of A Water Heater Tank In 30 Minutes
Tips for use
To rarely have questions about how to clean the water heater tank and extend the life of the construction, use the recommendations given below:
- Use a limescale filter for boilers and boilers.
- Do not buy structures with galvanized tubular electric heaters or heating elements made of ferrous metals, as they quickly corrode and put the device out of service.
- Buy a water filter.
- Consider only magnetic thermostats.
- To keep water completely disinfected, heat it to the max.
- To get rid of odor when the boiler is not in operation for a long time, it is advisable to run about a hundred liters of water through the tank. Every two months.
Thus, the article considered how to clean the water heater, namely, how to wash the boiler and how to clean the boiler’s heating element from scale and rust.
Now you are certain that there is no difficulty in the work, and you can quickly cope with everything. Observe the recommendations for the operation of water heaters, given above. And then the device will not fail for a long time, will please you and your family with hot water.