How to Clean a Washing Machine Drain Filter
If there is water in the drum of the washing machine, do not rush to call a repairman. in some cases the problem is solved with your own hands and in a few minutes. Drain Filter is Often the Fault in Poor Drainage. It strains the used water after washing, so it is often clogged with threads, fibers and other parts of the clothes, as a result of which the water does not go. It is enough to clean it for the machine to work properly. Drainage filter of the washing machine can be located both in front of the equipment, and on the back side. It is most often covered with a special hatch or a removable panel.
- The first thing to do is to shut off the water supply and disconnect the appliance from the electricity.
- If there is any water left in the drum it must be drained or else it will pour out of the filter opening. How to do it.
- Next, you need to find the filter itself and remove its protective panel.
- Since there is always a small amount of water in the washing machine, during the removal of the part it is possible that the liquid may spill on the floor, so it is necessary to prepare rags and special containers in advance.
- The next step is to unscrew the part and clean it from foreign objects. In some cases, the first thing you need to do is to remove the plug, and then clean the washing machine drain filter.
- Removal of debris can be done not only by hand, but also with a sponge or brush, because it is very important to clean the surface of the plaque. The part is also washed under a head of warm water to remove the smallest contaminants.
- Next, check the drain pump (pump) located behind the filter, so that large particles of dirt do not get into the part.
- The last step is to install the part in its place and connect the machine to the communications.
How to Clean a Washing Machine from Dirt and Scale in 5 Steps
Regular cleaning of the washing machine not only helps keep it looking its best, but also helps it work efficiently. The fact is that washing machines have a tendency to accumulate:
How To: Whirlpool/KitchenAid/Maytag Washer Filter Plug Kit 285868
- Fungus and mold in the sealing gum and, consequently, the emergence of unpleasant odors;
- Limescale on the heating element;
- Residues of powder, rinse aid and other additives inside the machine;
- Dirt and small things in the drain pump filter;
- Rust and sand in the inlet hose filter.
Therefore, over time, you may notice that your clothes (especially light-colored) after washing them no longer shine as clean as before. Yes and external contaminants that quickly cover the door, countertop and protruding parts of the machine spoil the view of the room.
How often you need to clean the washing machine from limescale and dirt? Optimal. once every 2-3 months. If you have a pet at home or you often wash woolen things in the machine, then you need to do major cleaning more often.
From this material, you will learn how to properly clean your washing machine as a whole, namely:
- How to clean the drum of a washing machine, and most importantly the heating element;
- How to clean the pump in the washing machine (drain filter);
- How to clean the tray and powder intake compartment;
- How to clean the filter of the fill hose;
- How to remove external contaminants on the body and door of the machine.
And at the end of the article you will find some tips on prevention and care of your helper.
Independent cleaning of the system
How to clean, as well as remove the fill filter from the washing machine Samsung? Follow our directions:
- De-energize the washing machine by pulling the plug. Make sure that the cord is secured and no water gets on it.
- Screw in the water inlet shutoff valve.
- Detach the inlet hose by unscrewing it from the washer-dryer body. Be careful, water might come out of the hose. Prepare a container for it in advance or direct the hose into a sink or bathtub.
- Behind the hose, you’ll notice a mesh. Pull it out with a pair of pliers.
- Rinse under a pressure of water.
- Put it back in place.
Great, you’ve accomplished the first task. Now proceed to learn how to clean and take out the drain filter from the washing machine Samsung.
- Note the front panel on the bottom of the SM housing.
- Open it using a flat screwdriver, as the panel may be on the latches.
- Remove the panel and you’ll see the plug with a plastic recess.
- Before unscrewing and removing the drain pump filter from the washing machine, prepare a container, because water may spill out.
- If the washer-dryer is not draining at the time of cleaning, tilt it backwards, put a bucket underneath it and, after unscrewing the filter, drain the water.
Note! Some manufacturers additionally fix the part with screws, which must be unscrewed before removing and cleaning it.
- Unscrew the plug counterclockwise.
- Clean the part of debris and rinse it under running water.
- Check the seating of the part by shining a light on it. If you find debris. remove.
- Put the filter back in place, close the panel.
There are also situations when the filter cannot be unscrewed and cannot be reached. What’s the reason? If the drain system has never been cleaned, the part may be stuck or clogged so badly that it is impossible to remove it. Then, before you clean the filter in a Samsung washing machine, you will have to take out the pump:
- With all utilities disconnected, lay the machine on its side or tilt it backwards.
- Loosen the hose clamps, disconnect them from the pump.
- Loosen the mounting screws.
- Pull out the pump with the filter.
Disassemble the product on site. WD40 is available for easy disassembly.
Cleaning the drain filter
The drain filter is used to remove various debris (coins, buttons, etc.) from the waste water.д.). The filter element can also clog from impurities and heavy elements in the water.
The cleaning is necessary to ensure that small organic and inorganic particles do not get into the pump and connections, and so damage parts.
Signs that cleaning is required
Drain strainer also called drain strainer, trash strainer and pump strainer.
Signs that indicate the need for the procedure are:
- Discontinuation of all functions;
- Difficulties in draining the liquid, during which it slows down or stops completely;
- The system immediately shuts off when going into “Spin” mode;
- No “Rinse” function.
Each of these signs is a signal to take action to rid the filter of debris.
How to Clean Washing Machine Filter Samsung
Sequence of cleaning
Before removing the filter, it is necessary to have a container for draining water and dry rags, covering the machine with them and slipping them under the bottom. The fact is that even after draining, there is still some water in it. Rags will absorb the liquid and protect the floor from moisture.
This is done because some models have components that are not able to disconnect from the power supply immediately. After making sure that the machine is completely turned off, you can begin. Before removing the filter cover, unscrew it and remove it from its seat.
After that, the following manipulations are carried out:
- Rinsing under running water.
- Clean dirty areas with a brush.
- Cleaning from lime scale and getting rid of unpleasant odor by soaking in a solution of citric acid and water.
Also clean the seat of the filter in the machine, because debris can get stuck in it. To facilitate the procedure, use a flashlight to illuminate the dark areas.
After removing debris and rinsing under running water the clean part is installed in place.
The problems and methods of their elimination
You may encounter a problem when cleaning the filter element. It consists in the fact that the cover is not rotated.
In this situation, if you have an Indesit machine. put the machine on its side and remove the pump. If it is a model without a cover, you will see the pump. If there is a cover it should be removed. After that you need to disconnect the wires. Next you need to unscrew the bolts that hold the part, and disconnect the electrics from the pump.
The filter is then treated with WD-40 liquid, opened and cleaned. After the procedure is complete, the action is carried out in reverse order. When screwing the lid on, pay attention to how tightly it is screwed on. Badly screwed the lid will leak water.
Different brands and models of machines have different specifications, so before carrying out the work, you should read the relevant section in the manual. Knowing their features, you will avoid difficulties. For example, in washing machines where the filter is fixed with a screw, you must first unscrew the screw.
If the design does not provide a drainage filter, remove the housing of the washing machine, check the volute, the drain pump and pipes. Read more about disassembly of units from different manufacturers in this article.
In machines such as Samsung. Ariston and Indesit. The drain filter is on the bottom of the front. In LG and Bosch models it is located behind the decorative hatch on the bottom right.
Most know one filter. the drain, that is, on the water drain. That’s where everything we forget to take out of our s of things when we put them in the drum accumulates. But there is another filter, the inlet filter, which clogs less but may also need to be cleaned occasionally. This is especially true if you have old pipes and have a general complaint about water quality, and absolutely necessary if the machine is connected to hot water (so often done to save money, although it brings more problems than real benefits: the filter and many parts of the machine are clogged with limescale). If the machine slowly pumps water at normal pressure in the water supply, you should pay attention to the inlet filter. It is located in the inlet hose valve at the back of the machine. Before unscrewing the filter, turn off the water (or at least tap it into the washing machine), unplug the machine. Next you need to unscrew the drain hose. usually counterclockwise. Careful, water may come out of the hose. have a container or cloth ready. The hose itself may also have a filter. usually unscrewed, then it must be unscrewed and clean. The main inlet filter is a metal, mesh filter. It needs to be carefully pulled out with pliers. The way you clean it depends on the type of dirt. If it is just dirt. rinse, you can use a soft brush. If scale. use citric acid: you need to dissolve it in water and hold the filter in this solution. If the filter is clogged “to death”, only its replacement will help. Push the clean filter back in, making sure it’s firmly in place. Screw the hose back on, check for leaks.
There is a sign that the filter is clogged. the machine badly drains or does not drain water. But the drain filter in general is worth regular cleaning “to avoid”. It’s simple: just figure out where it’s located. In models of most brands it is visible: at the bottom of the front panel there is either a small door or a cover of the filter compartment.
Cleaning the intake valve strainer
Cleaning the incoming water filter is much less frequent, the frequency of this procedure depends directly on the state of the water supply and water quality. But even if the water in the faucet is close to ideal, it is worth once in a while to inspect this useful and simple device. The procedure is very simple and can even be performed by an untrained person. Just remember to turn off and turn off the water supply before you start.
- The machine can be moved away from the wall for easier handling.
- The hose is unscrewed. There is probably some water left inside, so you need to take care of a container where you can pour it out.
- Use pliers to grip and pull out the filtering mesh.
- The removed strainer is rinsed under running water; if it is very dirty, you can use a detergent and an old toothbrush or soak it in a solution of citric acid.
- After the mesh is completely clean, you put it back in. Reconnect the hose.
Then you need to open the tap, check the connections for leaks. If all is well, the connection is tight, it is worth to run any washing program to make sure that the water in the device is normal.
Where to look for the drainage filter
It is very easy to locate it. We must look carefully at the bottom of the washing machine. Usually at the bottom right there is a special hatch. Open its cover. Under it is just hiding the desired filter. If you can not see the hatch, it does not mean that there is no filter at all.
In this case, you need to remove the decorative panel located at the bottom of the washing machine actually near the floor. It is held on the latches and can easily be removed by hand (you can pry it a little with a screwdriver). The result is the same. under it the filter we need.
How to clean the filter in an upright or front-loading washing machine
Drainage filter. this is a place of accumulation of dirt. Everything that does not come out with water, large debris, large dirt, hair and hair remain in the drain filter. Over time, it clogs more and more, causing water to drain poorly from the machine and leaving clothes wet.
To prevent this problem, you should periodically clean the filter. It is in every appliance and all machines need to be cleaned.
It is important to understand how to get this filter correctly and where to find it. In each machine they are located in different places. Most. At the bottom right or left there is a horizontal box with a lid. Some machines have a round filter, especially those with an upright drum.
In addition, in rare models, this filter is located at the back of the device or inside near the drum.
So before you do this, you should read the specifications of your washing machine and find out the exact location of the filter. If it is in a hard-to-reach place, it would be better to call a master in Ukraine.
LG Washer. Cleaning the Drain Pump Filter (2018 Update)
How to clean the drain filter?
The drum receives already filtered water, however, when washing lint, threads and dirt from clothing enters the drain system, which consists of a drainage filter, drain pump, hose. To clean the drain filter, you need to open a special lid on the bottom of the front housing of the machine to do this with an ordinary screwdriver is easy and simple. Since there may be water left in the tank, prepare a low container in advance. Carefully unscrew the filter without tearing the threads. If the manufacturer used an additional attachment in the form of a bolt, you must first remove it. Then pour out the remaining water, rinse the element thoroughly and clean the filter socket using a flashlight or a smartphone. After finishing cleaning and removing all foreign objects, screw the part back into place. If the element is screwed in correctly, water will not leak out. If the filter is hidden behind the plastic panel, unscrew it.