Hood cleaning with detergents
In supermarkets you can find a huge number of household chemicals, which can wash even stale dirt, and is ideal for cleaning the kitchen hood.
When there’s a lot of dirt and the hood components haven’t been cleaned for a while, these common remedies can be pretty ineffective. In such cases, you can’t do without the use of aggressive agents.
The grease remover is applied as described in the manual, and is evenly distributed on the surface of the grill. After the passage of some time, usually 5-15 minutes, the cleaning is accomplished and the chemical is removed with a large amount of water using a sponge or cloth.
- To avoid damaging the cooker hood components, test the selected cleaner in a small area. If the product is harmless, you can begin to clean the entire piece. Pour the cleaner onto the grill and leave it on the grid surface for 5 to 7 minutes.
- After the aggressive substances have taken effect, clean the parts first with a brush and then with a sponge. After the job is finished, you need to thoroughly rinse the grease and chemical cleaner from the surfaces and dry the parts.
However, not every family can afford an expensive product, and some of the substances in the gels, sprays and powders are very toxic and can cause allergies. If for some reason or other you do not plan to buy chemical cleaners, use folk recipes to get rid of grease.
How to Clean a Hood from Heavy Contaminants?
It is not always possible to cope with dirt by the above methods if it has accumulated over the years. Unfortunately, even some chemicals are not able to eliminate the problem. In this case, the following method will help:
- At any hardware store you can buy a caulk for removing blockages in the pipes. In addition, you will need to prepare a container for the size of the filter and grid.
- Next, you need to carefully study the instructions for use of this product and prepare it for use.
- Now it is necessary to wear tight gloves on your hands, and then pour the product into a container and place the parts there.
- Such a remedy begins to dissolve grease stains in the first minutes. To get rid of them for sure, you should hold the parts in the solution a little longer. up to several hours. Once the procedure is complete, you will need to rinse the filter again under clean water.
Remember that this is a risky method of cleaning the hood, which is used only as a last resort, because due to the impact of aggressive alkali can damage the enamel. Therefore it is recommended to conduct such a procedure not more than twice during the whole time of using the equipment.
The outside of the appliance is looked after much more frequently, and as a result, there is practically no dust accumulation. If there is a deposit, the usual dishwashing detergent can easily cope with it. Foaming it up on a sponge/mopper is sufficient. The perfect solution. spread the foam on the surface of the housing and leave it on, wipe it off after a quarter of an hour.
If the cabinet has not been cared for for a long time, it is advisable to cut a lemon and then wipe the whole cabinet with the half. After 5-10 minutes the lemon juice is removed with a damp cloth.
Tip! If necessary, the detergent can be replaced with window cleaner.
Why and how often should the appliance be cleaned??
The air in the kitchen constantly contains not only the usual dust but also grease particles that rise from the boiling pot or frying pan with the steam. Passing through the hood grill, grease settles inside and builds up layer after layer.
Exterior dirt can be removed quickly by wiping it off without allowing it to dry.
If the internal parts (metal grease filter, fan) are not cleaned from grease and dirt, the equipment won’t perform its function any more.
Partial disassembly is done once every month or two to remove and clean the hood filter. General cleaning is carried out annually, and sometimes more often, if there is a strange noise or other irregularities in the work.
It is often said that a powerful motor can do a better job of extracting exhaust air. Hooking up the hood causes the draft to tip over. In apartment buildings, such a phenomenon, as aromas from someone else’s kitchen, tobacco smoke from the neighbor behind the wall says that you or he has a super-engine.
No sink will take the smell out of the hood if it’s circulating back out of the ductwork. For a quick fix, just open a window or window sash to change the direction of air movement.
Radical and unconventional cleaning methods
A gutter cleaner can be very helpful in removing severe fouling from the hood. Pour the solution into the filter and leave it there for a while. Then wash the part with dishwashing liquid and plenty of lukewarm water.
This method is very effective and simple, but should not be used too often. Aggressive substances contained in the cleaner have a negative effect on the metal components of the filter.
Drainpipe cleaner will help clean the hood. Be sure to follow safety precautions when working with it.
- Place the filter in a large basin and add the cleaner (usually in powdered or granular form).
- Fill generously with hot water and leave for 10 minutes.
- Drain the solution down the toilet, avoiding it getting on the walls of the plumbing fixtures and other objects.
- Rinse the mesh with running water and dry it.
Using radical cleaning methods can return the appliance to cleanliness and freshness, as well as ensure its smooth operation
If you have a steam generator, cleaning is just as easy as can be. Steam treatment will help to remove grease, dirt and soot without much effort and the use of chemicals. In addition to effective cleaning, this method disinfects surfaces because the steam temperature is 150 ℃.
- Cover the surfaces around the hood with parchment paper or foil to prevent the dirt from spreading around the kitchen during cleaning.
- Just turn the steam faucet on and spray the cabinet and filter mats.
- The warm air will melt the grease deposits and they can be easily removed from the surfaces.
- Wipe the body and all elements of the kitchen appliance with a soft cloth soaked in warm water to remove any remaining dirt.
You can also wash all removable parts of the hood in the dishwasher. This makes the job a lot easier and saves time.
After cleaning, dry all parts of the appliance, wipe down the cabinet and replace the filters
Cleaning a cooker hood and its parts
There are many methods that can help clean grease deposits from a kitchen hood:
- Liquid chemicals;
- dishwashing detergent;
- Baking soda solution;
- Ammonia alcohol;
- Acetic acid or lemon juice
- Laundry soap solution.
Let’s take a closer look at each of them.
Method 1. liquid chemicals
Chemicals used to radically clean hood parts. You can clean a very dirty filter with liquid chemicals commonly used for drainpipe cleaning (such as “Mole”). The procedure is performed only with rubber gloves and in this sequence:
- In a stainless steel container, dilute the product in water according to the instructions.
- In the prepared solution immerse the grate and incubate for 15 minutes.
- After the time has elapsed, wash, remove all grease and rinse.
Before soaking, it is necessary to study the instructions for use, because for some products use cold water, for others. only hot water.
Method 2. powder preparations
It is not difficult to clean the internal parts of the device with powder products for gutters, carrying out such actions:
- Place the filter in a deep pan and pour the cleaner over its surface.
- After pouring hot water over the grid (to create a reaction), leave it for about 10 minutes.
- Take out the filter and wash it thoroughly.
Tip: These products are quite efficient at removing trapped grease from the surface of the filter. But such a radical treatment can be used occasionally. The alkali in the products harms the metal filter components.
Method 3. whitewash
This product has proven itself in cleaning the body of the device, but it is also effective in removing grease from its other parts. To do this, you need:
- Moisten soiled areas on the parts with a wet rag.
- Apply the bleach with a toothbrush for 10 minutes.
- Then clean off any remaining grease deposits and rinse thoroughly under running water.
Method 4. dishwashing detergents
It is not difficult to remove dirt that has occurred recently. The procedure is performed as follows:
- The filter is placed in a wide container and poured over with very hot water.
- Using the detergent applied to the sponge, treat the entire surface of the piece.
- Then scrub thoroughly with a stiff brush.
- Once you have finished, rinse the filter again with boiling water and cool rinse water.
If the cleaning procedure is unsuccessful, it can be repeated or more dramatic methods can be used.
Method 5. soda solution
If the filter and mesh is covered with a large layer of grease, achieve a good cleaning effect can be folk remedies, in particular, with the help of baking soda:
- Take a large container full of water (10 liters) and put it on the stove to boil.
- Gradually add baking soda (1/2 cup) as it heats up, stirring constantly until it dissolves.
- In a container with a boiling mixture place the extractor parts and keep on the fire, for 30 minutes. If the grid does not fit completely in the solution, boil both sides alternately.
- At the end of the procedure, remove the part and wash it in clean water.
The advantage of this method is that the boiling soda solution allows you to remove dirt of different origins, without causing scratches, as with abrasives.
Method 6. ammonia alcohol
Long-standing traces of soot, which even a boiling soda solution can’t do, can be removed with ammonia. How to proceed in this case:
- Alcohol (1/2 cup) is added to hot water (3.5 liter).
- Soak the parts in the prepared solution and leave it for 1-1.5 hours.
- After this time, they are taken out and washed in clean water.
Important: since when treating with ammonia in the room one feels the presence of a pungent smell, in order not to get burns of the mucous membranes, wear a mask. Preferably perform the procedure with an open window. Use gloves to protect the skin on the hands.
Method 7. Using acetic acid or lemon juice
The maximum cleaning result will be obtained by using undiluted vinegar (acid). Wear gloves to prevent skin irritation when using it. This procedure is performed as follows:
- Acetic acid is taken and applied directly to the parts with a sponge or toothbrush;
- Leave to soak for 20 minutes until the dirt has dissolved.
- Remaining grease residues are washed off with a sponge and rinsed in running water.
Another method of cleaning with vinegar
Lemon juice is ideal for soot that is not too old. The filter, rubbed with its pulp, leave for 10 minutes. Then, wipe off lemon residue and dirt with a napkin. Instead of lemon, citric acid or squeezed juice will do.
The procedure is repeated several times until a positive result is achieved.
Method 8. Laundry soap solution
This is an equally effective method of combating soot. It is not difficult to remove grease by using ordinary laundry soap (72%). To prepare the solution, perform the following actions:
- Take ½ piece of soap and grate it on a coarse grater.
- Boil 3 liters of water and pour it into a container with the shavings for about half an hour.
- Then the infused solution is rubbed on parts with the largest accumulations of dirt and grease.
- After 10-15 minutes, taking a sponge or plastic scraper, carry out mechanical cleaning of the surfaces.
At the end of the procedure is rinsed in clean water and wiped with a dry towel.
Preparing to wash
To properly clean a hood from grease, it must be disassembled as much as possible. At a minimum, the grill and filter must be removed. Do not forget to disconnect the product from the power supply before doing this.
It is a good idea to remove the ventilation hood body from its mountingings so that it can be cleaned more easily. If the design allows it, remove the air duct as well. Not being able to dismantle the hood, you should not refuse to wash the case. It is better than nothing to be treated on all sides.
You can clean the body of the appliance in different ways. The easiest way is to apply a little baking soda or pemolux on a rag and work the surfaces well. In most cases this is sufficient to remove all contaminants. However, if it’s been a while since you’ve cleaned, use a steam cleaner or a strong chemical, such as Schumanit.
We do not recommend completely disassembling the entire structure for washing. First, unplug the appliance and pull out the grid. Non-disassembly elements don’t require the same treatment as the grid, so wipe down the cabinet and let it dry.
Clean Greasy Range Hood Filters! How to Clean Your Stove Hood: Easy Cleaning Ideas (Clean My Space)
No Grease: 7 quick and easy ways to clean your kitchen hood
How often you have to clean your hood depends on how much you cook. If it is seldom and quickly. it is enough to clean the hood grill once every 4-6 months, if daily and in large quantities. at least once a month. If you don’t, grease and dust will collect on the grill, the air will be cleaned worse, there will be more noise, and sooner or later the hood will be out of order. In addition, it is a serious violation of the sanitary conditions in which you cook your food.