The filter for the washing machine: a review of types, selection criteria peculiarities of installation
The manufacturers of washing machines produce complex electronic devices with many functions, which make the life of their owners much easier. They can do everything. perform quality washing, treat things with steam and dry laundry. However, “smart” units remain defenseless against hard and rusty piped water.
How to prevent damage to your home assistant? Many owners and potential buyers of washing machines ask this question. One effective method is to mount a filter for the washing machine, which protects the working parts of the equipment from premature deterioration.
Let’s understand what kinds of filter elements exist, what are the peculiarities of their selection, installation, use and maintenance. The above information will help to organize a comprehensive protection of the washing machine and extend the life of the expensive equipment.
The Influence of Untreated Water on the Parts of the Washing Machine
They say that the washing machine can function without any filters for many years. However, in today’s reality is far from it. This is caused by various impurities that contaminate the water. What they can be?
Mechanical impurities (dirt, sand, small debris), if not removed, can over time significantly clog the internal cleaner. The pressure needed to start the water will drop gradually, which can cause the pump to break and the device will stop drawing water.
Rust is detrimental to the result of washing, because things fade, get new stains or do not wash at all.
If the water filter in the washing machine is not cleaned in a timely manner, the cleaner will be clogged. And it can cause damage to the machine
Hard water is no less dangerous. When heated, mineral deposits from water settle on the heating element and the walls of the unit in the form of an unbreakable scale. This can cause an increase in energy consumption for heating water to the desired temperature.
It is necessary to remove limescale in time, otherwise a more serious breakdown requiring costly repairs is possible. To service the washer, it is periodically necessary to use an antiscale.
In addition, hard water causes corrosion, and it is the key reason for the rapid deterioration of important parts and reduce the life of the machine.
Also untreated water is often the decisive factor in the depressurization of the machine due to the reduced elasticity of rubber seals.
Situations indicating that a clogged filter needs to be cleaned
- After washing or rinsing, the process of water drainage is unrealistically slow;
- The machine stops the cycle and will not continue even after resetting the processor;
- on the monitor flashes a code of failure, the direct cause of which may be untreated water; or rinse modes.
If such failures occur frequently, it is worth thinking about the quality of water filtration.
Purpose and principle of operation of the mains filter
Automatic washing machines are sensitive to voltage fluctuations in the network, especially models with electronic control. Internal capacitor protects the elements of the machine from combustion. How? The device carries a current of 50 Hz, no more, no less. If the fluctuations are greater than normal, it can cause the motor windings to burn out. Filter comes to the rescue.
The same happens when the line voltage is too low for a normal start-up. Protection levels out energy waves that do not match the set value.
The mains capacitor not only protects the inner workings of the washing machine. It also protects the external circuit and appliances connected to it (TV, microwave, computer).
Therefore, in the process of work, specialists do not recommend turning off the equipment by pulling the plug out of the socket. This can affect the operation of the protective part.
How to clean the washing machine filter
Depending on the model of the washing machine, devices may vary in:
- The maximum current load.
- The allowable voltage that the part can pass.
- Current rating.
- Response speeds.
The internal filter is installed inside the body of the machine, at the base of the cable.
There are also external anti-interference devices. They are an extension cord with a different number of outlets and buttons. When a strong voltage drop occurs, the button automatically shuts off, cutting off the power to the appliance.
It is necessary to choose according to the level of energy absorbed by the product. So, a professional mains will absorb up to 2500 J, a basic or simple one will handle 960 J.
How to change a surge protector for a washing machine?
First of all the part should be checked. When the condenser burns out, the washer-dryer may not turn on. Indicators on the panel do not light up, the appliance does not respond to commands. Sometimes a visual inspection can help locate the fault. So, the surface of the filter can swell, there are traces of burns.
How to check the suppression capacitor:
- Unplug the machine.
- Close the water inlet valve.
- Disconnect the water inlet hose if it is obstructing the operation.
- Dismantle the top cover. To do so, unscrew the fastening screws on the rear of the machine.
- The part is in the rear wall. Where the cable is connected.
- Inspect the filter. You can see signs of damage? Perhaps the wiring is burned out, you can smell burning?
If the damage is not so obvious, use a multimeter to diagnose. Remove the screw securing the part with a slotted screwdriver. Set the tester to resistance measurement mode. Next, proceed as follows:
- Place the tester probes on the paired pins of the capacitor.
- The value on the display should be about 680 kOhm, as should the resistance on the plug.
- If defective, the display will show infinity.
The noise filter is not repairable. Carry out a complete replacement.
The part is easy to replace: disconnect the wiring and unscrew the fastener. Install the new element in reverse order. The details of the repair are shown at
It’s harder to find a suitable replacement. You can go to the store with the old part and buy an analogue. If you can’t find the right part for your washing machine, select a filter according to the characteristics described above.
While you are looking for a suitable element, you can connect the machine to an external installation. a carrier with indicators.
It is recommended that all major appliances be connected to electricity via a voltage regulator. Then appliances and the entire network will be protected from surges.
Cleaning the intake filter
In washing machines there is also an in-fill filter element in the form of a sieve, which prevents foreign objects and impurities from getting inside. Not all machines are equipped with this type of device.
Signs of a clogged in-fill filter are:
- Reduced pressure of water flow into the machine;
- increased washing time;
- the device works well, but when filling it hums and is not filled with liquid.
The element is connected to the filler hose and is near the water supply valve.
The filter of the water intake system is located in the upper part of the machine, in order to get access to it, you need to unscrew the water supply hose
Step-by-step instructions for cleaning
To fix the problem, you will need to clean the intake filter.
This is done in the following sequence:
- Turn off the water before cleaning.
- The filler tube is removed, after which the filter screen will be visible.
- The mesh is removed with pliers. This must be done carefully, because it is very fragile and can break.
- Clean and rinse the removed element with water.
- Put the clean filter back in place and attach the hose.
Models may differ in design, but the procedure is the same.
After removing the inlet hose or its individual components we clean it under running water. Clean particularly dirty places with an old toothbrush
Particular attention is paid to the filter, which is usually located under the cover, in the reach.
The inlet filter that we need to clean is a sieve that covers the opening. It is a lightweight element made of metal or plastic
It is not possible to clean the filter, which is located inside the body of the washing machine, so it must be taken out.
The dirt that has formed should be removed. To do this, pull out the filter with pliers or a similar tool with narrow “claws
Be very careful not to damage the strainer when using pliers.
The more time has passed since the last time the filter was cleaned, the more dirt accumulates on it and the worse the water gets in the machine. After removing the filter from its housing, it is thoroughly washed and brushed with a soft brush before it is put back in place
Filter performance is influenced by water quality. The harder it is and the more impurities it contains, the more often will have to be cleaned. For trouble-free operation of the machine you can use special filters, additionally installed for washing machines.
Types of dirt and what causes it
Before you clean your filter, you need to determine the type of impurity and the causes of its appearance. To prevent dirt from forming, there are preventive methods and means. Knowing the causes, effects and remedies for the problem will extend the life of your machine and keep it running smoothly.
In addition to normal debris that falls into the washer with things, as pollutants in the filters can be considered ordinary dirt, lime scale, limescale and mold deposits. For their removal there are different ways and improvised means. With their help, you will not only clean the filters, but also prevent the appearance of contaminants.
Causes of dirty filters are:
- Hard water;
- particles, lint, separated from the items being washed;
- untimely cleaning and drying of all machine elements;
- Poor quality powders and other laundry detergents.
Let’s consider the main types of contaminants and ways to eliminate them.
Poor water quality is one of the main reasons for the formation of limescale and scale on the filters and other machine parts. To clean your washing machine, you can use professional and home remedies.
As improvised cleaners can be used acetic or citric acid, baking soda. These are excellent products for cleaning machines that every housewife has at her fingertips
The professional laundry detergent should be chosen according to the functionality of the appliance and your financial capabilities.
Whiteness is considered to be a simple and available product. The cleaning can also be done mechanically, but not on your own, but with the help of professionals who use special appliances for this purpose.
If dirt, lint from clothing gets on the filter, as well as untimely cleaning and the use of low-quality laundry products, dirt deposits, mold and unpleasant odor are formed. Cleaning is carried out, as in the first case, by home and professional means.
A qualified plumber can help you determine why the filter is dirty. He can also tell you which cleaning methods are the most effective
In addition to vinegar and citric acid, it is recommended to use copper sulfate and baking soda, as well as whitewash. All parts should be wiped with a clean dry cloth and dried after cleaning and rinsing.
Tips from the experts
Nov 4, 2018, 8:10 pm Oct 28, 2018 4:12 pm About Offenses Link to current article
Cleaning the drain filter
Let’s start from the simple to the complex. Drain clogs are the scourge of all CMAs, and cleaning is required more often. How to notice in time that it’s time to clean the element? It is easier to inspect the part after each wash, otherwise sooner or later the washing machine will stop draining water normally, will stop during the drainage of waste liquid into the sewer. To clean the part, proceed as follows:
- Which way to unscrew the water filter? Unscrew the plug by turning it counterclockwise. Some models may use a bolt for additional fixation. a suitable screwdriver will help.
- Observing precautions, before you take out the part, lay a floor cloth under the body or put a low container under it. the exhausted liquid will flow out of the hole.
- Examine the item and the hole it was in.
- Hand clean it mechanically, then rinse under running water.
As a side note! You may be surprised to find small, long-lost items inside the plug. USB drives, cufflinks, accessories, change, and other items left in clothing s.
How to unscrew the drain plug, if it does not yield?
If the part is stuck or has not been cleaned for so long that the abundance of debris prevents its extraction, you need to act differently. In this case, the drain plug is removed from the pump (pump) side. This will require disassembly of the body of the washing machine. We wrote about how to get the pump out on the other page. will also help you
If you are not ready for self-disassembly, invite a master. he will carry out the work, according to the regulations.
Location in different brands
For your information! There may be exceptions depending on the model.
- To the right of the service hatch: Gorenje, LG, Panasonic, AEG, Hansa, Bosch, Siemens, Ardo.
- Behind the hatch to the left: Whirlpool with horizontal load, Miele.
- Behind the plinth: Indesit, Ariston, Hotpoint-Ariston, Whirlpool, Beko.
Intake filter: remove and clean
The sieve to strain the water pouring into the system is under the water intake hose, which is attached to the back of the unit. Carefully unscrew the hose before pulling out the strainer.
Important! Twist the intake hose with your hands. the mount is plastic and may not withstand the onslaught of tools.
You can also check the hose for blockages at the same time: turn off the water supply using the water shut-off valve and remove the hose completely. Rinse under running water, set aside. Now clean the grid:
- Arm yourself with pliers.
- Gently pull with pliers on the plastic part, in which on a cross-shaped frame (not always, the design may be different) is the grid.
- Remove coarse clogs by hand.
- Rinse the grid under the faucet.
- If the blockages are complicated, soak the part in a solution of citric acid for several hours or overnight.
- If the part is broken, look online or in a spare parts store for a suitable analogue and replace.
Reinstall the assembly, connect the hose and run a test wash. The machine is taking in water normally, programs do not freeze? Problem is eliminated.
Types of filters, where they are located, signs of clogging
How to independently clean the drain filter in an automatic washing machine
First you should disconnect the appliances from the power supply and from the main water supply. Then pull out the filtration unit and do so:
- Remove large debris.
- With a sponge, wipe off the surface layer of plaque.
- If necessary, use special compositions or folk remedies.
- Wash the device under a tap of lukewarm water.
- Separately wash the hole, using a damp cloth.
After that the cleaning equipment should be installed back and check the functionality of the equipment by connecting it to the mains.
Where is the drain filter in the washing machine “Beko”, “Indesit”, “Bosch” and other brands
The most common location is at the bottom right, as on
Less often catchers are not installed at all. These are small and very inexpensive models. It’s pretty rare.
How often do you need to clean the drain filter in your washing machine?
Manufacturers give recommendations: at least once every two to four months. In practice, many users clean every six months. It is also necessary to be guided by the following indicators:
- Frequency of washings. The more washes you have, the more often you need to check them.
- Type of fabrics. Flannel, wool gives a lot of trash. Cotton, silk, linen, synthetics. much less.
- Hardness. High mineralization leads to rapid formation of deposits.
Problems with disassembling the system
When the drain has not been cleaned for a very long time, it is difficult to unscrew the filter from the hole, because a scale has formed on the threads. You can do one of the following ways:
- Use pliers. It is easier to turn the handle with a tool, but it is important not to overdo it so as not to break it off at all.
- Remove the entire pump. For this you will need to unscrew the back or front wall, depending on the design of the model. The cleaning will be done from the side of the spigot, and after that you can repeat the unscrewing.
The drain assembly is not easy to reach without skills, so in this case it is better to invite a repairman.
How to clean the filter through the pump
If you still decide to resort to this method yourself, act according to the instructions, according to the model:
- With access from the bottom. Put the machine on its side. Locate the pump at the edge of the housing. This is not always suitable, sometimes access is difficult because of the steel bar for the shock absorber, as in the Bosch brand, or is obstructed by the “aquastop” sensor.
- With the removal of the back wall. Remove it by unscrewing the 4 screws and get access to the drain. This is how easy it is to get to the knot in Ardo models.
- With the removal of the front panel. This is the most difficult process, but some devices from “Bosch” and “Siemens” leave no choice. Remove the entire front.
Once you have the clogged part out, follow the steps:
- Disconnect the power supply from the pump.
- Spread a floor cloth under the volute, the excess moisture will drain away.
- Remove the branch pipe coming from the pump.
- Remove the hose.
- A hole is formed. clean the filter bowl through it.
How to Clean a Washing Machine Drain Filter
- Disconnect power supply.
- Remove the inlet, disconnect the pipe through which the liquid flows.
- Using a pair of pliers, rotate the strainer, pull it out.
- Take the strainers out of the cylinder.
- Clean the cells with a toothpick, and soak the surface itself in a solution of vinegar or baking soda, rub with a toothbrush.
- Reverse the order of installation.
How to remove the drain filter: step by step instructions
The sunroof door is not blocked
Check whether the door is firmly closed. If the hatch lock fails, the power light may be on, but the wash won’t start. Find out if there is voltage to the hatch locking device. If there is voltage and it does not work, then the device must be replaced. If not, then the cause remains in the KCMA or the electronic module.
Armed with a multimeter or tester, you will be able to diagnose the cause of failure of the washing machine, and if it does not require special knowledge of electronics, to fix it yourself.
What types of devices exist?
Wiring comes in different types, and contributes to the division into the following groups:
The internal types are supplied by the manufacturers. If such a device breaks, then it definitely needs to be replaced, repair becomes impossible. Different models of machines are equipped with different types of fixtures.
How to clean a washing machine water inlet valve filter.
Appearance is not the only source of differences, they also lie in the technical characteristics. This determines how much protection the washer has in any given case.
- Maximum load.
- Maximum current.
- The time it takes for the device to respond.
- Specifying the voltage threshold with voltage drops.
- The nominal values of voltage and current.
Filters like extension cords are also supplied with important parameters.
Depending on this, the following varieties of device are distinguished:
Extension filters allow the use of outlets in the number of 3-8 units. There is a set of functions-additions like a button to switch on and off the mains at each socket, child protection, etc. д.
Plugging into an outlet that has a ground connection is the way to maximize efficiency. But the filter will provide protection even if such a design is missing. A separate discussion is worthy of how to test the design.
What a surge protector is for
To exclude the possibility of equipment failure due to power surges, you can protect the equipment in advance.
The mains filter for the washing machine will cope wonderfully with this task. It protects against surges and dips in voltage by stifling surges and high-frequency noise.
surge protector is not only an extension cord with some outlets and a fuse.
The filter can be built into the technique at the production stage or purchased as an additional detail of protection and connected to the device through the power supply.
Built-in surge protector
Modern washing machines are quite sophisticated appliance, but in the meantime, sensitive, for example, to the current drop in the network.
Therefore, reliable protection and stability is required in the first place, because otherwise the washing machine without a surge protector may burn out if it receives high or low surges.
Especially if it is an automatic machine with touch control
Taking into account the sensitivity of such models, the manufacturer himself during the production process equips the machine with a surge protector. It is located where the electrical cord begins
In case of breakage, the internal filter is not repaired but must be replaced. Replace the part with the original part, which is not always easy to do.
Internal filters differ in the degree of protection, depending on the manufacturer and model of the equipment connected. The level of protection is related to:
- maximum load and maximum current;
- Passing voltage threshold;
- The power filter is the only one with the rated current;
- Reaction time after a power surge to turn off.
External surge protector
Such a device can save technique from a short circuit and a current surge, thanks to the fuse, cutting off the flow of electricity.
What is a good extension cord and how to choose a surge protector for the washing machine?
Manufacturers offer extension cords with different numbers of outlets and types of protection:
Some models are enhanced with additional devices in the form of an on or off button on each outlet or have child protection.
A large number of outlets on the extension cord filter is relevant when there are several appliances standing next to each other. Such a filter is quite powerful, but also more expensive.
The difference can be in the length of the extension cord
You should pay attention to this when buying and calculate the required length in advance
Maximum load is an important factor.
The most expensive filter is the one that can withstand a lightning strike.
If you take professional protection, the energy surge absorbed by the filter is 2500 J, while the simple one is 960 J.
The filter may contain several fuses at once, but one of them must be fusible, and the others are divided into quick-acting and thermal.
Protective mechanism, some manufacturers are endowed with an LED indicator, which allows you to visually assess the performance of the device.
What Not to Do When Using External Line Filter Protection?
- An appliance that works through a surge protector must not have a capacity greater than 3.5 kilowatts.
- You can not include an extension cord in the network with 380 V.
- Simultaneous connection of such devices is dangerous.
- It is essential that you ground the socket outlet when using a filter.
Installing a water filter for a washing machine is a process that has a wide list of advantages, let’s break down the main ones in more detail. Perhaps they will help you to make sure that this is a necessary measure that will protect you from a number of serious negative consequences.
First of all it is necessary to designate economic benefit as each user gets possibility to reduce expenses of financial means which it is necessary to give constantly to masters for performance of repair work. In addition, note that the use of water of high hardness has an accumulating effect, that is, as a result of daily exposure the parts are covered with layers of scale, defects arise in them, and then they fail. This dictates the need not only to pay for specialist services, but also to regularly buy and replace parts of the mechanism, which again is associated with additional costs. And the last thing to pay attention to. repair is not always possible, which may require the purchase of a new household appliance.
Also, the filter cleaner for the washing machine from rust, limescale and to soften water has the following positive characteristics:
- Protection against impurities entering the system, which reduce the pressure level and reduce water consumption, worsening the quality of washing.
- The presence of rust and sand particles in the liquid reduces the runtime.
- Things after the washing machine, which uses a filter element, are much softer and more pleasant to the touch. This is especially true for those families, homes and apartments where young children live.
How untreated water affects the equipment
If we are talking about urban centralized water supply, in most cases we are talking about increased hardness, which is due to the high m such elements as magnesium and calcium hydrogen carbonate, which as a result of the reactions fall out in a special precipitate. It is this action explains the presence of scale on kettles, boilers and other devices, plaque and white streaks. Naturally, this liquid does not go away and negatively affects the operation of the device.
The use of such a water medium is the most common cause of failure of modern devices. Because of the presence and reactions of the above compounds, the technique does not heat the liquid properly, and the process of washing clothes takes place at a cold temperature. As a result, electricity consumption increases considerably, as the machine makes every effort to heat the heating element, despite the presence of a thick layer of limescale. Definitely all this negatively affects the operation of the heating element, the duration of its use. It is on this tubular heater of the electric type that the most limescale accumulates.
And here a logical question arises, how you can prevent the listed consequences and protect your purchased appliances from them. There are several options. For example, it is possible to wash only using modes when the temperature does not rise above 50 degrees Celsius, as at a low temperature no sediment is formed. The second option is to add special substances to the water to soften the composition. The third solution. regular manual cleaning of the drum and the heating element after each use. The most common cleaning agents in this case are baking soda, citric acid and vinegar. Here it is important to emphasize that it is necessary to strictly observe the proportions and concentrations, otherwise there is a great risk of only causing harm to the entire system.
AquaPro 919H/RO Tabletop Master Dispenser (hot and cold water)