Proper installation of the fan in the bathroom
The ventilation problem in the bathroom and toilet quite often appears in apartment buildings. Natural ventilation channels in such buildings are often damaged, as a result of which they cannot perform their functions. In addition to this problem, in the buildings of the old building when laying the ventilation ducts laying the air exchange, taking into account wooden windows, but not plastic, non.pass and a gram of air outside. Therefore, in order to improve ventilation in the apartment and in the bathroom, in particular, the fan is installed in the bathroom.
Before installing the fan in the bathroom, it is necessary to determine how well the natural hood works. This is done in a simple way: take a sheet of thin paper or expand the napkin; Open the window in any room; attach the paper to the hole of the hood. If the napkin immediately pulled to the hole, this means that the natural hood works correctly. If the napkin is not attracted, then you should think about installing the fan in the bathroom.
You can check the efficiency of the hood if you bring a lit match or lighter to the hole. If the flame is strongly deviated towards the canal, then the ventilation works fine. Otherwise, with a weak flame deviation or if it burns evenly, a exhaust cooler will be required.
How to remove and install bathroom exhaust fan
Stagging air in the bathroom or toilet leads to the formation of high humidity in the room and, as a result, to the appearance of the fungus on the walls. How harmful to human health is a mold fungus, you should not speak at all.
If you are convinced that the ventilation duct is clogged, then it can be cleaned by lowering the conical shape into it. If for any reason you cannot do this, contact the utility service, they will tell you which organization you need to submit an application.
The main types of ventilation
Ventilation in the bathroom can be:
The first of them works on the principle of ordinary air convection. Heated air masses naturally always rise under the ceiling of the bathroom. If in the upper part of the bathroom or toilet there is a ventilation hole with access to the duct, the air moves further upward. And instead of disappearing through the door, new air is drawn inward, creating a natural traction in the room. Thus, there is a constant exchange of air.
Air circulation with natural ventilation
The second works due to the presence of a fan, which sucks or supplies additional air into the bathroom. Forced ventilation is used where its natural analogue does not cope with the volume of air exchange. In this case, such systems are energy.dependent. It is recommended to choose them for installation in the bathroom only in extreme cases.
The principle of operation of forced ventilation
Forced ventilation is divided into three types:
In the first case, the air is supplied to the room from the ventilation duct by operating the fan. In the second. forcibly expelled (sucked) from the toilet and bathroom in a ventilation shaft. The third option is a combination of the first two ventilation options.
We calculate the appropriate diameter of the device
Find out which device is required to ensure high.quality air exchange is not difficult. To do this, you need to sequentially perform several calculations.
- Determine what volume of air is in this room. To do this, measure or find out in another way the geometric parameters of the room: length, width, height. Multiply all these data and get volume. If the work is not an integer, round it up in a large way.
- Then they remember that according to SNiP, air in the bathrooms and bathrooms should be completely updated 6-8 times per hour. If no more than three people use the premises, 6-fold exchange is enough. If 4 or more tenants live in the apartment, 8-fold air exchange is needed.
- Multiply the received in p.1 volume of air for the required multiplicity of its replacement. Receive a number corresponding to the required performance of the exhaust device. On average, for typical bathrooms in multi-storey buildings, devices with a capacity of 95-100 m 3 /h are required.
Replace Your Bathroom Fan in 5 Minutes FLAT! NO Attic Access!
How to install a exhaust fan in the bathroom correctly?
If you have ceiling lighting, consider the wall.mounted option for mounting the hood.
On the wall
- To do this, first remove the front cover.
- On the adjacent zones of the fan and walls, apply a thin ball of polymer glue, silicone or liquid nails.
- All fastening methods listed above are ideal, because devices for cleaning and circulating air are made of plastic and, accordingly, have minor dimensions and weight. Therefore, there is quite enough liquid glue or nails.
- Carry the fan installation so that its working element (electric motor and cylinder with blades) is fully “located” in the wall.
- Press the system of the system tightly so that the adhesive base manages to grasp.
- Make installation of a special grid. Thanks to this element, you will protect the system from the penetration of insects and bugs.
- Fasten the main cover using self.tapping screws or dowels that are supplied with a set.
- The last stage is the laying of cables and connecting ventilation systems to the network.
On the ceiling
The installation circuit of the ventilation system in the ceiling is simple, and is carried out simultaneously with the installation of the design. Consider the installation of the river ceiling and ventilation system.
- Decide on the place where the slats will be placed.
- Mark the holes of the specified sizes on the panels. It is worth making sure that the device does not fall on the supporting traverses.
- Make installation of ventilation grilles and diffuser, and then attach all the parts with liquid nails.
- When using the oral panels, the installation is significantly simplified. Such rails are mounted in the opposite directions of the ceiling, thereby ensuring natural air circulation above and under the ceiling in the bathroom.
If the installation of the rack structure passes, below the ventilation canal, a fan-exhaust fan is used.
- The front panel of the hood-fan is dismantled.
- A hole for fasteners and the mechanism is made in the panel.
- From the ventilation system, above the suspended ceiling, an air duct (from plastic or corrugation) is installed in the mounting place).
- The ventilation mechanism is installed in the ceiling.
- The duct joins the fan.
- The main panel is attached.
If the ceiling of the bathroom made of plastic panels, the installation circuit of the ventilation system will be identical described above. The only difference is that the ceiling is made of plastic, if necessary, you need to completely disassemble, but not everyone knows how to do it right.
How to clean or replace the fan in the bathroom
Over time, especially if they smoke in the bathroom or toilet, the exhaust fan is strongly polluted. As a result, the traction weakens. In addition, over time, the lubricant in the engine bearings ends and the fan begins to work poorly, and may even burn out. In this article, the master plumber will tell you how to clean or replace the fan in the bathroom.
It is very important that an exhaust fan is installed in your bathroom and launch it whenever you take a shower or bathe for 15-20 minutes so that the fan can remove excess moisture, which can cause mold or genes.
Air passing through the fan over time applies to the lid and parts of the fan engine. The lid and body of the fan engine must be cleaned from dust every six months.How to clean the exhaust fan in the bathroom:
- Turn off the fan with a switch or in an automatic shield.
- Remove the lid, press the spring.loaded clips of the wire clamp located on both sides of the lid, and then pull the clamps from the grooves of the fan housing.
- Place the fan cover on a towel and a vacuum cleaner with a nozzle of bristles brushes, remove the dust from the cover and the grille, both inside and outside.
- Pompell the fan housing and around the engine. For hard.to.reach places, use special nozzles for a vacuum cleaner.
- Install the fan cover, while pressing the clamps located on the fan cover and insert them into the grooves on the fan housing. Put the fan in its former place.
If for some reason your fan needs to be replaced, please read a step-by-step instruction to replace it.How to replace an exhaust fan in the bathroom:
How to choose a bathroom and toilet fan
Everything seems to be simple, we decided that we need a fan, we go to the store and buy. But fast only cats will be born. The store awaits a big surprise from a heap of views and models. Where are several dozen, and where a couple of hundred will pick up. And you will “hang” on the question “which fan put in the bathroom?””.
No wonder. Different types, power, models, installation methods, characteristics. the devil will break the leg in this variety of technological progress in the field of ventilation. Sellers and they understand with difficulty if the assortment is huge.
Therefore, we compiled a “guide to the bathroom fans”. To facilitate your task and help to quickly buy the right equipment. And first we’ll deal with the general characteristics of the bathroom fans
Axial, centrifugal. what does it mean
This is a type or type of fan. He talks about the design of equipment and his work.
The axial fan is a lobed impeller in the housing. Wipes the impeller of the motor, on the rotor of which it is mounted. The blades are tilted inward relative to the plane of placement, they are well pulled by air and move it in a straight axis. Therefore, this type is called an axial fan. It differs with good performance, makes a medium noisy, it is most often taken for installation in the bathroom.
The centrifugal fan is arranged differently. Air sucks a turbine with blades. Inside the case, the flow is twisted into a spiral and receives additional acceleration due to centrifugal. The stream comes out not in a straight axis, but at an angle of 90 degrees into a special device. a snail. The centrifugal fan is also called radial.
Less productivity is characterized, in comparison with the axial, but it can “drive the flow” under the pressure of different strength. The noise level is low or medium, depends on the direction of the bend of the rotor blades. With a front bend, it makes less noise, with the rear. stronger, but saves electricity.
Invoice or channel
Ventilation equipment happens for external installation and for internal. The outer type of installation is fasteners on the wall or ceiling to the output of the ventilation hole into the mine or into the pipes system. The channel fan is a built.in equipment that is placed inside the ventilator (duct). Ventilation supply systems are built of metal or plastic. For the bathroom, plastic channel systems are often used, for example, Vents.
Often the access to the ventilation shaft is located in the toilet. For hoods from the bathroom, a duct with a fence grill is put. The ventilation sleeve is pulled to the shaft window. The canal fan with an additional lattice is installed in the toilet. The hood at the same time picks up air from the entire bathroom and directs the house to the ventilation shaft. The design external and duct fans make both axial and centrifugal.
Choosing a fan in the bathroom by power
The power level or fan performance is one of the main characteristics. In fact, the hood is chosen on it, paired with a design (axial/centrifugal). The performance “says” how many cubic meters of air the fan pumps in an hour. 100, 200, 300.
To choose the right power, you need to calculate the volume of the bathroom and multiply it by 8. “Eight” denotes a sanitary requirement for the multiplicity of air change in the room per hour. Simply put, the fan should pump the volume of eight of your bathrooms. Then there will be cleanliness, beauty and no mold.
How to calculate the volume? Very simple. take the length of the room, width, ceiling height, change and get the desired number. We multiply it by eight and have a minimum power value.
Example! For a city standard bathroom with dimensions 1.7×1.5×2.5m with the frequency of exchange 8, performance is needed from 51 cubic meters per hour. Ospass fans are produced with a capacity of 80 cubic meters. Such an extract will cope with the task even with a margin. The centrifugal model usually “drives away” from 42 to 100 cubic meters per hour.
The selection of a fan to the bathroom in terms of noise
It is clear that the hoods are noisy, but not really. If you want very quiet. take the axial model from the Silent line. Their design made the engine mounts on the silent blocks that “extinguish” noise and vibration. Among the “quiet” you can choose a model with a noise level even at 22 dB.
Centrifuges work louder, because the turbine pumps air under pressure. But also noise medium, approximately like a cooler in a computer. He does not stop you from watching movies, listening to music or playing games. So the fan will be just a background if you are in the bathroom when it is turned on.
Attention! Noisiness. secondary characteristics. The most important thing is that the hood “drive away” the desired volume of air for a good microclimate and is suitable for ventilation design.
Which fan in a bathroom or toilet is better. reviews about additional functions
Modern technique can do a lot, and fans are released with different additional functions. Their list includes:
- Additional sensors. They measure humidity or respond to movement.
- sleep timer. It sets the time delay time, minimally 2 minutes. maximum 30.
- Light indicator. Glows while the fan works.
- Cord switch. You can turn on and off the hood at the right time. For example, when taking a shower or bath. That is, when the light in the bathroom is lit, the fan does not automatically start.
- Automatic blinds. They are used to close the ventilation grill after turning off the duct.
- Check valve. Its main task is the obstacle to the penetration of extraneous smells from the ventilation mine.
According to the reviews of our customers, most often they take models with humidity sensors and shutdown timer. The check valve that covers the air from the mine or canal back to the fan has already become part of the structure. It is very rarely sold separately and is considered an additional option.
Degree of moisture protection
All bathroom fans have increased moisture protection within 4-5, dust protection can be either zero and 3-4. The equipment passport will be indicated by IP x4, 34, 44, 45.
We figured out the characteristics, now let’s talk about the assortment.
Bathroom Fan Select
Conditionally, all fans are divided into two groups:
Canal are designed for installation in ventilation of rooms with an area of over 15 square meters.m. For apartment buildings, such large bathrooms. a rare phenomenon. But this device is ideal for a sanitary room in a private house or cottage. Its installation will not be difficult if you follow the instructions.
The fan traditional for most city apartments has this type
For bathrooms of apartment buildings, an excellent solution to improving ventilation performance, an axial fan will be. Specialized shops and construction supermarkets represent many models with various additional functions. However, it is best to choose this device, guided by the recommendations of specialists.
Bathroom fan: types and characteristics
Bathroom ventilation is necessary to ensure normal air circulation. With such purposes, a special silent bathroom fan is used, which provides normal air exchange in this room and prevents the appearance of excess humidity.
Why in the bathroom ventilation
Electric household fans (non.climatic technology) are used to extract wet and stale air from the rooms of the bathroom, toilet, pantries and other rooms and its replacement with fresh. They can be axial or radial.Photo. model with a timer and a moisture sensor
First of all, this is necessary to normalize humidity in the room. The fact is that due to condensate, not only bake things, but also the walls rift-all this can cause mold.
Secondly, a household fan helps to improve air exchange, due to which it provides the desired traction-this is necessary by the safety of the operation of a residential private or apartment building.
And finally, this is just a way to increase the comfort of your residence in the apartment. Entering a dry ventilated room is more pleasant and much safer.
Types of fans
There are different types of ventilation devices for the bathroom. They can be classified according to the type of installation, the principle of operation and additional functionality.
Wall or overhead automatic Vents electric fan (Ventts. Spain), Vortice Punto Filo (Germany) is considered a standard model of these devices. It is installed directly on the surface of the wall and is used to carry out forced air circulation in the bathroom and toilet.Photo. axial
A built.in fan is a newer model of this type of technique. Its feature is that the built.in device for the air duct is installed in the hole in the wall, due to which it does not spoil the decor of the room. He has higher characteristics of dust and moisture protection, unlike wall analogues.Photo. exhaust Cata
Forced ceiling fan is one of the most popular models of this type of device. It is used not only for the bathroom, but also for the kitchen, balcony or other premises in need of compulsory air circulation. This device is very small and often directly connected to the main ventilation system, which is often polluted.
On the principle of operation, any fan for the toilet and the bathroom can be with a check valve and without it. It is better to choose a model with a valve (Solerpalau Decor, Dospel or Vents Turbo), T. to. It provides protection of the premises from the entry of the excreted air into it. During operation, the fan seems to suck out a moist atmosphere from the room, ensuring the drainage of the room. If there is no valve, then with a strong wind on the street or some other factors, moisture will return to the bathroom or toilet naturally.Photo. ceiling
Natural ventilation is considered the simplest and cheapest way to ensure air flow, but it works only if there is a traction that tends to disappear. If there is no traction, then the air with dust and extraneous smells will enter the apartment from the street.
Also fans are sometimes classified according to the type of power. They can work on batteries or from the network. Most often, quiet models (silent, Venta, Hardi) are made with the battery). They consume less electricity.
Previously, fans were not equipped with additional components, they consisted only of blades, engine, housing and gaskets. Devices with built.in management systems, various sensors, etc. are very popular now. D.
Consider the most popular elements that are supplemented by fans:
- The channel electric fan with a motion sensor is very convenient in a guest bathroom or public toilet. He with the help of ultrasound or infrared rays recognizes the body in the range of its action and includes the engine. This allows you to save electricity and increase the comfort of staying in the bathroom. you do not need to take care of the artificial inclusion of the device. Represented by Electrolux models (electrolyux), EAFM-100 Magic and others; photo-model connection diagram with a timer
- It looks like an option with a traffic relay is a system with a timer. It is equipped with a special switch, which turns on the device when recognizing a moving body and turns off the device if the movement in the range of action stops. Its analogue is considered to be a model where the fan can be turned on for a certain time, after which it will turn off itself; photo. hood into a bathroom
- The centrifugal heating cage is equipped with a special temperature controller. Depending on the design, it can pump hot air from the steam room or, conversely, warm the bathroom (Vortice, Punto Evo Gold, Vort Quadro). For the connection, a special scheme is used, which involves setting a control of a certain temperature in the room. If the norm is exceeded, the device begins to work, ensuring air circulation in the room and preventing the overheating of visitors;
- And any of the described fans can be quiet (for example, Greenwood Airvac. silent). Quiet is a model of a device that does not make practically any sounds during operation. This is convenient for bathrooms close to living rooms (for example, in Khrushchev and hotels).Photo. silent silent 100
To choose the right model, you need to analyze not only its principle of operation, but also the performance of several fans. By performance is meant an indicator of the amount of air, which the device is able to stretch for a certain period of time and the power spent on work.
To calculate the required power of the device and its performance, you need to know the main characteristics. Consider the most popular fan models:
Extra fan fastening in the bathroom
The manufacturer, for fixing the exhaust fan on the wall of the bathroom, provides for fasteners located at the corners.
But this method has many disadvantages, here are the most significant of them:
All these shortcomings are deprived of the method of installing an exhaust fan in the bathroom on a silicone sealant.
The technology for mounting an exhaust fan on silicone is as follows:
Silicone sealant is installed in a special gun, with which the contents of the tube are applied along the perimeter of the mounting ventilation hole. as shown in the image below.
After that, the exhaust fan is installed in the ventilation duct, is aligned in level and reliably pressed.
Then, for the highest accuracy of the installation, we fix the fan on the wall of the bathroom using, for example, adhesive tape or sea tape. as shown in the image below.
After some time (2-3 hours), when the silicone freezes, the fan will be completely ready to work, it will be possible to remove the holding elements and tune it to its uninitiated use for its intended purpose.
As you can see, the installation method described here is as simple as possible and almost anyone can cope with this, I also advise you to read about a timer for an exhaust fan, why it is needed and how to install it. HERE.
If you already have questions about connecting an exhaust fan, be sure to write them in the Комментарии и мнения владельцев to the article, we will try to help!