What is the main difference between a regular manual mixer and stationary models with a bowl and planetary mixers? What to pay attention to when choosing a new device? Is there a fundamental difference between modern models of mixers and those bought 20 years ago? We have chosen 10 best home mixers and tell you what to pay attention to when buying.
These two popular devices are often confused because they perform similar tasks and are often sold in the kit. It is worth replacing the nozzle, and you have a completely different device in your hands. But there is a fundamental difference. Mixer and blender perform different tasks. The blender grinds the product with the help of blades, mixing it in mashed potatoes, and the mixer beats with whisk. In other words, with the help of a mixer it is impossible to prepare soup-puree, and a blender cannot be beaten proteins or cream or knead the dough.
What to choose. a mixer or blender?
The main difference between these devices is in different functions:
- The purpose of the blender is the grinding of the product using knives, and the purpose of the mixer is torturing with a corolla, as well as kneading the dough with a hook. The mixer cannot prepare cream-soups, baby food, smoothies and cocktails, chop nuts, and a blender-turn cream into foam or knead yeast dough.
Planetary Mixer, High Speed Planetary Mixer Machine, High Speed Planetary Mixing Machine
But since a submersible blender always has an additional nozzle in the form of a corolla and sometimes even a hook for a batch of dough, the question arises. whether the blender can replace the mixer? Yes, but only partly.
- The fact is that the blender in its capabilities is comparable only with a manual mixer, but not with stationary. After all, only a stationary device is able to quickly and qualitatively knead thick and dense dough, say, for pies and dumplings. Neither a blender nor a hand mixer will cope with this task.
But with such non-trivial tasks as whipping eggs or pancake dough, the blender will cope almost as well as the manual mixer (but the mixer is still more effective and more convenient with prolonged work). If you like the idea of “3 in 1” devices, then we advise you to choose either a submersible blender with a capacity of 500 watts with a hook in the kit, or as a more powerful mixer-bonder that looks like a mixer, but has a grinder nozzle. You can find out other nuances of choosing a blender in our step.by.step guide (see the material: a guide for choosing a submersible and stationary type blender). And this video will help you not only understand the difference between two similar devices, but also choose a mixer for the kitchen.
What to choose a kitchen mixer: manual, stationary or submersible
All mixers differ depending on the design and the method of application. They are divided into manual, stationary and submersible.
Hand mixers are low. up to 250 watts. When working, such a device is held in the hand.
Stationary models are fixed on a special stand. holder. They are equipped with a special container (bowl) for mixing and do not require additional participation from the user. It remains only to set the necessary program by a person by clicking on special buttons located on the control panel. Submissive mixers hold in their hands and immerse in a container with products that need to be mixed, beat, bring to a homogeneous mass.
Devices with bowls are more expensive and more complex and bulky in design, but more convenient in operation. That is, they free their hands for other things, they can better cope with a cool dough, and the hostess does not need to decide in which container it is better to mix and whip the products. Such devices are perfect for large families and those who like to receive guests. Most stationary models can be removed from the bowl and use manually, like manual mixers.
Manual devices are convenient for making small portions and allow you to use any dishes, riding the user from the need to scrape the resulting mixture on the walls of the bowl. Such devices are suitable for families with young children who have to constantly cook fresh food.
Important! In addition to the bowl, stationary mixers always have a stand, which is attached to both the container and the device itself.
Another important component is Deja Mixer
In this part, it is important to pay attention to the material and, of course, the volume. The home pastryup should not take a small bowl (2 liters) to bake cakes and desserts to order, choose a volume of 4-6 liters.
It is difficult to pour the syrup into the small volume of the bowl in the preparation of merenga and bird’s milk. And sometimes when raising the corolla over such a bowl, he goes beyond it. and the dough falls on the table.
As for the material, here, like with nozzles, it is better to take stainless steel, since plastic absorbs smells and fats. Nobody will like extraneous smells, I can even ruin your products excess fats! So, for example, fat can ruin the meringue.
In addition, it is not scary to drop a metal bowl or put in a water bath, unlike plastic or glass.
What materials are used
The bowls can be made of different material: plastic, glass or stainless steel. Everyone has advantages and disadvantages. So, light plastic can scratch and begin to keep the smells of products. Glass is not characterized by such adaptation to food, but it can break. Stainless steel is deprived of such shortcomings, but models can cost more.
As for the bed, the lighter plastic of the case is able to ensure greater maneuverability of the kitchen unit. The metal case is characterized by slowness, but is more likely in professional, more expensive models. As in the case of nozzles, when choosing it is better to proceed from the tasks for which the technique is purchased. Experts also recommend sensibly to evaluate the wear resistance of not only nozzles, but also the “filling” of this type of stationary device.
What to choose: tests or planetary mixer?
When choosing professional equipment, you always need to carefully analyze its capabilities. Planetary mixer is a multifunctional device that has several nozzles that allow you to work with different masses: from cream to yeast dough. Due to the rotation of the nozzles around its axis and along the surface of the bowl, high performance is provided. This principle of operation provides airiness and uniformity of the mixture.
Planetary mixers are suitable for cafes, restaurants or mini-bakery. In terms of capabilities, it exceeds the dough equipment, but in power and performance indicators necessary for industrial work, it is inferior.
What is a planetary mixer
This electrical device is designed to mix products of any degree of viscosity. It is simply indispensable in pastry shops, loaf.bells and in home kitchen.
The device works as well as any other mixer: it mixes the ingredients with a corolla.
But he has a feature: the nozzle rotates simultaneously around the bowl and around its axis, but only in the opposite direction. So mixing is more careful.
Hence the mixer and got the name “planetar”, as it interferes with an analogy with the movement of the planet, as if drawing circles inside the bowl. Thanks to the special form of the working mechanism, a homogeneous mass is obtained without lumps and bubbles. This result is obtained not only thanks to a whisk, but also to special nozzles: a hook for dough, a mixing blade.
The planetary blender is able to help in such types of kitchen work:
- kneading thick or liquid dough;
- preparation of various mousses;
- whipping cream and confectionery creams;
- preparation of minced meat;
- preparation of sauces;
- Beating protein foam.
Classification of planetary mixers
Initially, a planetary mixer with a bowl was used to work with a large volume of products only in industrial confectionery and in public catering. But after some time, more compact models entered the market of kitchen appliances, combining high power and small size.
So, these are the devices:
- Industrial. Devices are designed to knead huge volumes of products. The size of the bowl sometimes reaches 150 liters. To use the device you need special professional skills. Typically, the industrial device is placed on the floor and fixed with special holders.
- Semi.industrial. The volume of the bowl of these units is up to 15 liters. For use also requires special skills. Such mixers put both on the floor and on the table. They are used in cafes, bars, restaurants, small confectionery. The device works quickly, but spends a lot of electricity.
- Household mixers. Used only in home kitchen. They have a small amount of bowl. up to 8 liters, which is quite enough for family use. Any skills to work with the device do not need, it is easy to manage it. A planetary mixer for the house on the table is placed.
What is the device
Planetary mixer. a stationary device, installed on a flat stable surface of the kitchen countertop or table.
Kitchenaid vs. Maxima MSM 8. making Pizza dough
The device consists of a bowl, which is also called a deja, oval or cylindrical shape. The device also consists of a mixing nozzle and a mechanism, which sets it in motion. The volume of the bowl of the home mixer. from 3 to 8 liters. Maximum power. 2200 watts.
The assembly of the unit can be different depending on the manufacturers. Some invest the nozzles in the kit, and this is reflected in the cost. Others sell them as an addition.
Be sure to have such nozzles: a corolla for whipping eggs, liquid dough, mousses, a hook for kneading dense dough, a blade for mashed potatoes, sugar glaze.
Interesting. Many manufacturers also include a nozzle for juice that can grind fruits and vegetables and squeeze juice from them.
Features of the planetary mixer
Unlike other models of mixers, the planetary has a number of features.
The nozzle rotates not only around the circumference of the bowl, but also around its own axis. This allows you to achieve perfect mixing ingredients. You can knead even steep dough and potato puree. And foam from whipped eggs is twice as large and denser than with any other mixer.
The planetary type device has a cast all.metal or plastic case weighing from 5 to 12 kg. Complete with it is necessarily a cup for products. To load everything you need into it, the upper part of the mixer’s body must be thrown up, then tilt it back above the bowl so that the nozzle plunges into the products.
On the case there is a display on which the mode, speed and time are set, during which the mixer should work. At the end of the work, the mixer will “inform” about this, giving a signal.
Material of the manufacture of the bowl
The decisive role in the cost is played by the material from which the bowl of the planetary mixer is made. The most budgetary ones have a plastic bowl, their more expensive models are equipped with stainless steel or glass bowls.
Consider them in more detail:
- Stainless steel. Models with cups from this material are most common on sale. It’s all about the unique properties of stainless steel: inertia, resistance to acids, strength, ease of care, resistance to damage and high temperatures.
- Plastic. The bowls of plastic are durable, reduce the cost of the final cost of the mixer, but have a number of disadvantages: over time they change color and absorb odors, deformed during prolonged operation, are easily damaged.
- Glass. The bowls of this material are durable, it is convenient to wash them. They are resistant to damage during mixing. Such models look stylish and are able to add a highlight to the interior of the kitchen. The main disadvantages are large weight, fragility of the material and the high cost of a new bowl when replacing.
Advantages and disadvantages
As in any other household electrical appliances, in planetary models you can find a number of advantages and disadvantages.
The planetary mixer can independently knead the dough of various consistency, which significantly accelerates the cooking process.
- The simplicity of use and the comfort of operation. there is no need to mix the dough manually for a long time, the device operates independently;
- good performance, increased power and speed, which make it possible to correctly mix products of various densities and viscosity in a short time;
- universality that allows you to use the unit as a blender, meat grinder, juicers or vegetables;
- ergonomic modern design with which the device fits into any space;
- a large selection of the necessary nozzles, especially in devices of a professional line.
Several nozzles attached to the mixer allows you to use the device for kneading the dough, cooking cocktails, sauces, fillings for dessert.
With all its advantages, there are some disadvantages, although there are not so many of them:
- quite high price compared to stationary models;
- enlarged dimensions and mass, due to the use of a large bowl and a powerful high.speed engine;
- increased use of electricity. an organization of a separate outlet will be required.
High performance and functionality of the device are large advantages, but the cost of such equipment is not small.
Criteria for choosing a good model
Before buying a mixer, you should decide on the necessary volume of the bowl and the number of nozzles that will be required.
When buying a kitchen device that will last a long and efficiently, it is advised to pay attention and choose among the following criterion:
What is the technique made of
The best material for the mixer is stainless steel. If the unit is completely made of such material, then it can guarantee its long.term operation and increased performance.
Choosing between a steel and plastic mixer, one should give preference to the first. Such a device is more reliable and will last longer.
There may be only one minus. a rather high model price. Plastic is a fairly cheap option, but in terms of characteristics it is significantly inferior to an analogue of expensive material.
It is standard and expanded type. The first version includes the minimum number of nozzles. The expanded contains all the nozzles that can turn a mixer into a meat grinder or vegetable product.
When choosing a home model of a planetary mixer, you need to pay attention to the number of nozzles, this depends on the functionality of the device.
The volume of the bowl
The volume of the bowl is of considerable importance. If you plan to use a mixer to knead the dough, it is better to purchase a mixer with a large capacity.
This condition is usually taken into account based on personal priorities of the hostess and family needs. For a small family, there is enough bowl for 4 liters.
The control panel is selected at the discretion of the hostess. Someone prefers the usual mechanical, someone is a stylish sensory.
There are two types. sensory and mechanical. The first type is modern, easy to manage, stylish, although it may become unusable unexpectedly. The second is a reliable model controlled by time.
Planetary mixer for home use is a convenient and desired thing in the kitchen. A variety of models makes it possible to choose the right design and on the functions performed.
Professional planetary mixers made of expensive material with an extended number of nozzles and various functions cost from 40 to 100 tons A more economical option is available at a cost of 3 to 10 thousand.