Do.it.yourself floor fan repair. All reasons why not spin and how to disassemble.
The departure of the crank, as a rule, is accompanied by problems with the shaft. In this situation, the repair of the fan must be started by removing the cover. Next, you will need to deal with the stator, which is located next to the electric motor. Sometimes it can be fixed on a special platform. In any case, you need to twist the nuts with a key. Then the shaft will be visible directly in the fan, under which there is a crank.
If it is deformed, then it needs to be removed first. Krivoship are made mainly of stainless steel. A person is able to straighten them on his own. However, this part in size is very small, and in this situation it is easier to use the vice. If this problem could not be solved independently, then you will have to contact the service center.
To identify the root cause of the malfunction, you need to find out what parts the fan consists. Regardless of the type (floor or desktop), the device has exactly the same device. The difference is only in the length of the rack.
The problems of the fan are different, and each of them has its own reasons and signs.
Top 15 of the best floor fans, read in the next article.
The fan does not turn on
The device may not turn on, but in this case it is important to pay attention, the light bulb or not when trying to launch the device lights up. If the indicator glows, and the device does not turn on, then the block with the buttons, which is located on the fan stance, broke.
If the bulb does not turn on on the case, and the device does not make sounds, perhaps there is no voltage in the outlet, or the reason lies in the breakdown of the cord, fork. If it is impossible to launch a household appliance and the exclusion of the above reasons, the problem should be sought in the electric motor.
The blades rotate poorly
Blades can slowly rotate for several reasons. The main of them is the lack of lubricants in the sliding bearings. Sometimes the blades are deformed at high temperatures from the engine (when the device has been operating for too long, overheating occurs). In this case, the blades cling to a protective grid, so finding such a problem is simple and fast.
The fan does not rotate to the sides
If the fan device does not rotate in different directions, or the turns occur with a delay, you will have to disassemble the motor body. Main reasons:
The cooler is buzzing and does not rotate
Many people mistakenly call the cooler a fan, but in reality it is a cooling device that may not have blades. The main purpose of the cooler is to remove the heated air from the fan. Sometimes he buzzes, but does not rotate. There are several reasons:
The fan is very noisy or whistling
A floor or desktop fan makes noise and whistle in such cases:
- Propeller deformation, against which there is a violation of equilibrium between the blades. In this case, the device also vibrates.
- Weakening of the sleeve in a sliding bearing.
- Pressing a protective lattice, for example, when falling.
- Damage to the electric motor.
- Pollution of the device.
- The presence of a foreign object inside the system.
How to choose a home fan,
What else can happen to the floor and desktop fan:
- Capacitor breakdown. In household fans, a dry type made of plastic is usually used, which is easily deformed due to overheating.
- Electric engine malfunction. The main feature is that the device does not start or gives unnatural sounds.
- Problems in the control unit. Most often the reason lies in worm gear and diffuser.
- If there is a speed switch, then the fan may not work due to its malfunction. The reason is a break in windings.
- Rarely failure of the fan is the rotor. This happens against the background of overheating of the motor.
Regardless of the cause of the malfunction of the floor and desktop fan, conduct an independent diagnosis, which will reveal the site and cause of the broken.
Do.it.yourself floor and desktop fan repair
After detecting a problem with the fan, you can proceed directly to the repair. First prepare the necessary tools and materials depending on the type of malfunction. The first thing that is checked after the diagnosis of the cord, forks and sockets is the serviceability of the electric motor. Often the problem is the microcircuit, so first determine the level of flow rate on the fee and the output from the chip. In the absence of voltage, the problem lies in the breakdown of the microcircuit, which can be replaced.
If the current goes to the microcircuit, and the floor or desktop fan does not turn on, you will have to disassemble the case and check whether the current comes inside. If not, the problem is the electric motor, so you have to give the motor for repair.
- Disconnect the two wires connecting the electric power and the microcircuit;
- also do with 2 wires going from board to the motor;
- Assume a new microcircuit.
There is an option in which the fan will work without a microcircuit, that is, directly, so the device will be included immediately after installing the cord in the outlet. To do this, do similar actions with wires, but instead of installing the microcircuit, they are connected to each other.
To understand how to make a fan repair yourself, you need to know the principle of operation of the device. Scheme:
- asynchronous type, installed on standard floor and desktop fans, has 8 launch and working windings;
- To launch the phase is shifted by 90 degrees using the capacitor;
- The launch is carried out after pressing the power button (first the red indicator turns on, after the electric motor begins to rotate);
- The speed of the rotational moment is affected by a 3-speed switch that has mechanical locks of simultaneous speed switching.
Replacement of the rotor
The rotor is usually on the gasket under the lid or behind the shaft, so the engine is removed for its repair or replacement with screwdrivers. The first thing to do is to inspect the wiring that can be the cause of the malfunction. If there are no defects on it, you will have to change the rotor, since it is not possible to repair it yourself. Be sure to write down the number of the device and purchase exactly the same model.
- Disconnect the wire leading to the rotor;
- unscrew the screws;
- Remove the device;
- Put a new rotor, tightly screwed to the base.
If the gasket is not deformed, it is pointless to replace it with a new option. use the old element. Keep in mind that the rotor should not touch the electric motor.
How to fix a control unit?
The control unit breaks due to worm gear. This problem can be eliminated independently by following the instructions:
- Remove the contact block (the motor does not need to be removed);
- If there are gaskets for the managerial unit, remove them;
- twist the shaft with a screwdriver;
- remove the control unit;
- dismantle the lid behind, opening access to worm gear;
- To check the performance, use the tester (without breakdown, the resistance parameters should not exceed 50 Ohms);
- In case of violations, replace the old element with a new.
What to do if the flange broke?
In floor and desktop fans, plastic flanges are used, which are easily damaged, especially when the device falls. Therefore, replacement is required. How to do it:
- unscrew the rear cover near the motor or shaft depending on the model;
- Remove the crank;
- Disconnect the worm gear without removing the control unit;
- Remove the switch;
- Twist the screws from the flange and disconnect it;
- In the reverse order, install the new flange.
If the model involves the location of the flange near the managerial unit, then first release the clamping bar, then twist the control unit, remove the gasket located near the rotor.
Fixing of the diffuser
Diffuser is in the control unit. The reason for its breakdown is to twist the regulator. Change it as follows:
- Remove the top cover without touching the engine;
- Disconnect the central flange;
- remove the control unit;
- Remove the diffuser from the rear (Put the base with a screwdriver or knife);
- Replace the new element.
It is problematic to buy a diffuser separately in stores, as it is equipped with a control unit, so in this case the entire block is most often changed.
If a part with a propeller and blades is broken, use the following tips:
- With the usual deformation of the impeller against the background of overheating, it is necessary to extract the propeller, slightly warm the blades and leve so that they do not touch the protective grid of the fan.
- If the blades are broken, you will have to buy a new propeller and install it yourself.
- If a small part of the cooler is torn off, the fragments can be glued with reliable glue.
How to repair a capacitor?
The capacitor usually breaks due to unexpected voltage drops in the electric network. The part is located behind the central flange. The cause of the malfunction is the absence of a phase shift or a power to receive a winding. The main feature is no rotation. The capacitor malfunction is checked using a multimeter (measurement mode. resistance).
Problems with blades
Since plastic is used in the manufacture of blades, this part of the fan is very susceptible to external mechanical influences. As a result, the blades are often deformed and broken if any extraneous items fall behind the grid. In this case, to fix the fan, the owner needs to dismantle the protective net. The back cover can stay in its place. There is no need to shoot it. The protective grid is held by a special clamp in the form of a plastic cap. It is easy to turn it with your hands. After the clamp is twisted and the protective grid is removed, a special lining is disconnected that fixes the blades. This stage of work can be performed without the use of tools. Blades are subject to replacement if they are very deformed. If during the operation of the fan there is a slight friction about the protective grill, then they are easily aligned with their hands. According to fan owners, plastic blades bend very easily.
The unit does not turn on
In this situation, there may be 2 options: a light bulb that means the readiness of the unit to work, can be caught or not. Depending on this, the algorithm for diagnosis of the breakdown will differ.
The bulb does not burn
If, after the device is turned on, the bulb located on its case does not light up in the outlet, and it does not start, then, first of all, it is necessary to check if there is a voltage in the outlet. It is done simply: take any electrical appliance and include in this outlet. If the device has earned, then you need to look for a malfunction in an electric fork and cord.
To check the fork, spin it and check the reliability of the connection of the wires to the terminals. To check the cable, it is necessary to disconnect it from the contact pad of the device and “call” the tester. If a cliff is detected in the cable veins, it should be replaced.
The bulb is on fire
The reason for this behavior of the unit, when the indicator bulb burns, but the fan does not work and no sounds can be heard, it can be caused by the blocking of the block with the buttons. To check the buttons, you need to disassemble the button unit located on the floor fan stance or stand near the desktop. But, before disassemble the device, make sure that it is turned off out of the outlet.
The work of buttons is very simple: there is a “vkl” and “off” position. Using the tester, check the “output” and “input” on each key.
If a faulty button is detected, it will not work to repair it. Therefore, the switch should be replaced or the connection is directly. This approach to solving the problem will help start the unit into work if you are far from the store, for example, in the country.
Faulty speed switches can also cause why the fan does not turn on. To check the regulator, you will need to put it in the maximum position and check the “entrance” and “output” using the same tester.
The device is very noisy
Since the propeller of the aggregate, the main task of which is to create an air flow, is made of plastic (not always of high quality), then the probability of deformation of the latter is great. This usually happens if the unit is left for a long time under direct sunlight, or near a high temperature source. With deformation, the balance between the blades is disturbed, which causes strong vibration and noise with a normal air flow.
Also, vibration of the shaft can appear due to the sliding bearing of the bearing licking from the long-term operation.
3 speed Box fan bypass or replacement
Often when the device falls, when the blades are spinning, the protective grill is deformed. When the rotating propeller is hit, one of the blades may break.
Summing up, we can say that in different models of fans the main nodes and control elements may look different. But the principles of diagnosis and elimination of malfunctions do not change from this.
Diagnosis of malfunctions
There are 2 types of fault and desktop fans-mechanical and electric. It is to the first simple layman that does not pay much attention, and this leads to a breakdown in the electrical part of the device. For example, if the shaft is jammed, and the equipment continues to work, then this will undoubtedly cause overheating of the electric motor. If the bearing is spent, then the stator winding will be damaged in the future.
Before diagnosing the fan at home, turn off the device from power supply. The unit often does not turn on due to a malfunction of the cord or socket, so first of all, any other device is connected to the power supply. If it does not turn on, then the culprit is a socket that needs to be fixed.
To inspect the internal equipment of the fan, disassemble it, acting according to the following scheme:
Since the breakdown is often associated with a lack of lubrication, be sure to drop a few drops of technological oil on the sleeve.
Take the shaft first in one, then in the other direction for better absorption of lubricants. After that, collect the fan in the opposite direction, turn on the device and check for performance.
clearly about how to disassemble the fan and conduct diagnostics of malfunctions, see this
Closing windings or wiring
If the damage is more complex and simple lubrication does not help, you will have to disassemble the fan in more detail.
First you do all the fraud on disassembly as indicated above. After removing the propeller, unscrew the plastic front counter.gaming, which is located immediately behind him, and throw off the entire protective frame.
In your hands you have the engine itself and the leg in which the power wires pass and the button mechanism is located.
Distribution of this leg, having unscrewed 6 screws.
First of all, check the rations of the wires. It is possible one of them, or even somewhat fell off or burned out.
If everything is intact, how to understand which wire goes where and what is responsible for? Start checking with two wires from a fork for a power plug.
One of them, let it be black (as in the photo below), through the lighting light goes directly to the fan engine.
The second wire enters the lower terminal of the outline switch (button 0).
Further, by pressing the corresponding buttons-1st speed, 2nd, 3rd, certain contacts of the switch are closed, and thereby the engine speed changes.
Each wire from these buttons goes to its conclusion on the winding, with a larger or smaller number of turns. Giving tension to them, you make the propeller spin faster or slower.
Depending on the place and installation method, all fans are divided into several groups:
The most widespread in everyday life were floor, desktop and ceiling fans.
The most convenient and functional is the floor fan. Thanks to large blades, he is able to blow a large room.
Clean, Service, and Repair Lasko Box Fan
Has many vertically and horizontal settings. Can work in one direction or automatically turn horizontally up to 180 degrees.
As the name understands it is installed on the floor on a special leg, thanks to which you can adjust the height of the device.
Floor fans are more powerful compared to desktop, and they are able to cool the larger room.
Some models are equipped with additional functions:
- a variety of velocity speeds and modes;
- control using a remote control;
- sleep timer;
- LCD display and others.
- higher electricity consumption compared to desktop;
- large dimensions cause inconvenience if it is necessary to rearrange it indoors.
Unlike floor fans, low-sized desktop fans are installed on the table or some other stand, have less power all this leads to a decrease in the area of blowing.
This type is suitable for individual use, it is very mobile, consumes little electricity, low price.
This is a less popular model, since in addition to the difficulties when attaching the ceilings in the room, it should be quite high and not for every apartment it is suitable.
Due to the fact that the ceiling fan is attached directly to the ceiling, then it does not occupy a useful space in the room.
Thanks to large blades and increased power, ceiling devices can effectively and quickly cool large rooms in the house.
It is installed mainly in commercial large rooms: offices, shops, cafes, etc.D.
These are usually built.in ventilation in the kitchen or in the bathroom exhaust fans, which remove moist or polluted air from the room.
Varieties of thermostats
Below we will briefly figure out the characteristics of each of them.
Thermoregulator with electronic filling includes three components:
- temperature sensor;
- a microprocessor responsible for the processing and transmission of information;
- thermorelene, thanks to which control is carried out.
Electronic thermostats are used not only in oil heater, but also to organize the management of larger heating systems (for example, a “smart home”).
Electromechanical devices based on relay are much simpler than electronic devices. There are several types of electromechanical regulators:
- Devices of the first group include a group of contacts and a double metal plate. When the equipment is heated, the plate isnd and, thus, opens the contact group. The consequence of the opening is the stopping of the supply of electricity to the heating plate. When the heater cools is cooled, the plate returns to the starting point, and the electron begins to work in the same mode, since the contacts are closed again. The cyclical work allows you to maintain the temperature level at approximately the same level.
- Devices equipped with relay work on the principle of expanding its elements as a result of heating. The relay is a cylindrical pipe, which contains a substance responsive to heating. The pipe is in a container of water. When the heater temperature rises, the substance in the pipe expands. Когда температура достигает определенного значения, расширенное содержимое воздействует на электрическую цепь при помощи привода, в результате чего происходит замыкание или размыкание контактов. In this way, it is possible to avoid overheating of equipment.
The most simply arranged mechanical type regulators. Such thermostats are ordinary locking reinforcement. The design of the device includes a cylinder with a rod, which is filled with a thermally sensitive substance. As a result of the expansion of the substance when heated, the rod partially or completely overlaps the flow of the coolant in the system.