How to choose
On the market there are many brands of heat-resistant adhesive for tiles, stoves and fireplaces. When choosing, you need to pay attention to what temperature the product is designed for. On this depends on whether it is used for tiling or masonry. You should also read the manufacturer’s instructions and recommendations.
Important! You should also pay attention to the lower temperature limit, especially if the adhesive will be used for a summer kitchen, bath or other structures that can not be heated in winter.
There are also some other selection criteria to take into account, in order for the composition to work and to be easy to use.
- For which place of the furnace and for which works it will be used. For masonry furnace, pipes need a refractory composition, for lining. with high adhesion.
- It is necessary to pay attention to the material of the furnace itself and the lining. There is a special glue for tile, brick, metal.
- The compound must not be toxic.
- The form of the glue is also important. Beginners are better to choose dry formulations. Ready-made solution in cans or tubes after opening quickly hardens.
Overview of popular brands
It is also important to pay attention to the manufacturer, it affects not only the price of adhesive, but its properties. It is better to choose a substance of well-known brands, it guarantees its high quality.
- “Terracotta”. heat-resistant adhesive with high adhesive properties. Used for cladding. withstands temperatures up to 400°. Plastic, you can adjust the position of parts.
- “Hercules”. fireplace glue of a rigid fixation. Resistant to t 1200˚ and frost up to.10°
- “Profix” is very plastic, with improved adhesion. Can be applied in a thin layer. Resistant to temperatures up to 1200˚. Suitable for tiling of chimneys, masonry inside surfaces.
- “K-77 is used for tiles. Suitable for vertical surfaces, caulking cracks. It has a high adhesion, plasticity, does not fear temperature changes.
- Plitonit “Super Fireplace” is a fireproof composition with reinforcing fibers. Applicable for grouting, plastering, tiling. It is compatible with different materials: stone, concrete, brick, tile.
- “Furnaceman” is used in tile revetment. Plays down evenly, does not crack.
- Ceresit Flex is suitable for all stove areas. It is water-resistant, elastic, can withstand temperature changes. Resistant to warping, suitable for all types of finishes.
- Scanmix Fire heat-resistant, withstands up to 1200° C. Quickly sets, resistant to mechanical stress, plastic.
Glue for laying the base of the fireplace
In its composition mixtures for fireplaces mostly have clay and cement, they are less plastic, which is why their use for cladding is not recommended. Such a mixture is best used for laying fireclay bricks, as they are similar in composition, and therefore will behave the same during heating.
This effect is called linear expansion, under the influence of high temperature all substances change their shape. expand, after cooling to the original position. If the composition is the same, then the percentage of expansion / contraction will be the same, reducing the likelihood of cracks.
Heat-resistant adhesives for stoves and fireplaces
The glue for stoves and fireplaces “Pichnik” 20,0 kg Pichnik 1402054.
Heat-resistant adhesive basovit pechform AC150 Ld, 25 kg
Heat-resistant repair compound for stoves and fireplaces 3.0 kg
Glue for tiling of stoves and fireplaces PLITONIT SuperKamin TermoKlay VT (heat-resistant) 5 kg
Heat-resistant adhesive for stoves and fireplaces “Pichnik” 20.0 kg Pichnik 1402054.
Heat-resistant glue for stoves and fireplaces “Pecchnik” 3,0 kg
Cold Welding Glue “Amethyst” Heat-resistant 58g (flask)
Poli-R Fireplace Sealant up to 1250 gr 280ml 12626
Grover F 100 Silicate sealant for fireplaces and stoves
Glue (cold welding), universal, heat-resistant (250 C), 55 gr. (AG-ECW-04)
Poly-R heat resistant sealant red 280 ml
UHU 46895 Kamin Ofen UHU Glue for Fireplaces and Stoves 530 gr.
Heat-resistant repair mixture for stoves and fireplaces “Pecchnik” 10,0 kg
ASTROhim Total Bond AC-9315 heat-resistant cold seal glue
PROFMASTER SILICATE SEALANT FOR STOVES AND FIREPLACES 260 ML BLACK MASTERTEKS
Heat-resistant tile adhesive has special properties and composition, which distinguishes it from other glues. Characteristics of the product:
- High degree of plasticity. Thanks to this quality it is possible to create an even coating.
- Resistance to fire. This property is essential for finishing fireplaces and stoves.
- Cost to temperature fluctuations. The use of fireplace structures is constantly accompanied by temperature fluctuations, especially if they are installed outdoors.
Thermo-, heat-, fire-, and other like?
Professionals usually use universal fireplace glue, it speeds up the work a lot and allows you to ask the customer less, not to the detriment of their own profit. If the fireplace in the house is built by yourself gradually, then for its individual parts it is possible to apply adhesives with different characteristics, see. Figure., which will noticeably reduce the overall cost of materials.
What kind of stove adhesives can be used for building and chimney lining.
Note: The parameters of the adhesive for the base of the fireplace are given, of course, for an abnormal case; in a residential house minus under the floor is an accident. However, the structure of the stove/fireplace is mechanically connected to the building structures. If the house for any reason remains unheated for a long time in winter, disturbance of the structure of the stove/fireplace can make the whole house become unsafe. Therefore, it is by no means necessary to neglect the quality of the foundation, hoping that the stove, say, on a separate foundation.
“Thermo”, “flame”, “heat” strength, resistance and resilience are often conflated in common parlance, but in fact they describe different properties of the adhesive:
- heat-resistant. can withstand for a certain time (3 hours for building structures) a temperature of not less than 140 degrees without deterioration of technical parameters;
- heat-resistant. capable at temperatures not lower than 140 indefinitely long retain the specified properties, which may differ from the same at room temperature;
- Temperature-resistant. the properties at 20 fully retains in a given temperature range. The default is (-10,140 degrees Celsius);
- Refractory, flame retardant, flame retardant, resistant to high temperatures, same as refractory 5, but for an unlimited period of time. 1-3, but the default temperature is 1000 degrees.
- fire-resistant. withstands the specified parameters in contact with open flame for at least 3 hours. Always is also chemically resistant, because the visible part of the flame is saturated with chemically active particles of fuel that has not yet burned;
- Refractory. the same as under (5), but indefinitely. 5, but for an unlimited period of time.
Note: general purpose heat-resistant and flame retardant adhesives are also fire retardant and flame retardant by default.
In addition to chemical and thermal resistance, the modulus of thermal expansion (TTE) of the fully cured adhesive layer is important and must be consistent with the TTE of both adhered surfaces. For finishing adhesives determining parameter may be the adhesive capacity (simply. stickiness of the working solution). Adhesion ability is directly related to viscosity: viscous glue with too little adhesion will not hold on the vertical / sloping surface of the lining parts, and too sticky and liquid will crawl down together with it. For masonry adhesives, the strength and gas tightness of the joint is important; for any adhesives, the plasticity of the dried joint, t.к. Complete TKR matching is not possible.
FIRE CAULKING | Dap Mortar Caulk Installation & Review
Note: the plasticity of the dried seam of mineral-based adhesives strongly depends on its thickness, which should be maintained within the limits specified in the instructions.
Independent preparation of heat-resistant glue
Expensive mixes can be replaced by homemade adhesive composition from available components. To prepare the refractory adhesive for tiles for stoves with your own hands is simple enough. For this purpose, mix in a volumetric container: 1 part cement, 3 parts sand and 1 cup coarse rock salt. In the dry mixture is introduced 1 part of fat clay, diluted with water. The glue is mixed with a trowel or shovel.
When mixed properly, the high temperature adhesive should have thick and viscous consistency, without lumps, bubbles and dry spots.
How to choose
Choose a glue according to the financial capabilities of the customer and the conditions in which the composition will later be. Operating temperature, speed of setting, environmental friendliness and resistance to external factors are important.
|1. Astrohim AC-9315||up to 100|
|2. CS: GO universal glue||up to 900|
|3. Osnovit pechform AC150||up to 800|
|4. IRFIX 1500 High Temperature Sealant||up to 250|
|5. UHU 46670 Metall||up to 300|
Varieties and selection criteria
To choose the right adhesive for fireplaces and stoves, you need to consider the following parameters:
- purpose. different compositions are needed for tile installation and fireplace stove finishing;
- adhesion level. the higher it is, the more reliable the bond;
- Temperature resistance. the working temperature of the adhesive;
- Frost resistance. if the composition is used in the decoration of unheated rooms;
- The mode of operation. periodic or permanent use;
- mechanical load.
A good fire retardant compound is expensive. If the price is low, it’s fake.
For masonry stoves and fireplaces
Glue is often used instead of masonry mortar when laying stoves. It is more plastic, it can be laid in a thinner layer and achieve a tight joint of bricks. However, only refractory and fire-resistant adhesives are suitable for this kind of work. It is impossible to heat the stove in 3 hours, so even the heat-resistant composition is not suitable.
A fireplace rarely acts as a means of heating, because it is ineffective. often it is a decorative element. If it is not used more than 3 hours in a row, heat-resistant adhesives can be used for masonry.
For lining of stoves and fireplaces
Tile adhesive for fireplaces and stoves is used for tiling. The temperature is much lower, but the exposure time is much longer. For the furnace take a clay brick. It accumulates heat and then releases it into the air for a long time. That is, the adhesive layer between the brick and tile must also retain heat.
How to choose the right one, the most important criteria
To make the right choice of fireplace glue, you need to consider some criteria. These include:
- The location of the furnace, whether it will be outdoors or in the house. The temperature withstanding threshold can reach 1200 degrees, but the minimum temperature that the mortar can withstand may vary, so if the structure will stand outdoors, then the presence of frost-resistant properties of the composition is required;
- You should carefully read the instructions to buy exactly the heat-resistant type;
- One glue can not be used for different types of materials, it is worth knowing in advance what cladding material will be used;
- The application of the adhesive solution should be performed with a thin layer, so if the surface has strong irregularities, then the choice should fall on compositions with high viscosity indicators;
- It is worth paying attention to the index of moisture and steam permeability, they are most important for furnaces located in saunas;
- Important is the safety of compositions for human health, you need to consider the level of toxicity of solutions, under the influence of high temperatures toxic substances may be released, so on the packaging should read about the environmental friendliness of the solution.