At what temperature does the freezer work
Many people mistakenly assume that because a freezer can freeze food, it can easily withstand the cold. However, this opinion is incorrect (although there are exceptions: some models are available with this function).
Note that modern devices have characteristic climatic classes. They indicate the ambient temperature range at which the appliance operates most effectively.
For example, a freezer with the climate class ST means that the equipment will only function well at 1032°C.
Before installing a freezer on a balcony in winter, you should study the data sheet (most models on the market are designed for indoor operation at room temperature). Failure to do so, as well as sudden changes in temperature or humidity, can adversely affect the functionality of the freezer and its future operation.
The following climate classes of freezers are distinguished:
- N (moderate). Withstands temperatures in the range 1632°C.
- SN (subnormal). Products operating at 1032°C.
- ST (subtropical). The following figures are required for efficient operation of the equipment: 18 38°C.
- T (tropical). The recommended temperature ranges from 1843°C.
The analysis of climatic classes clearly shows that the freezers, sold in the market, are not able to endure frosts. If you put them on the balcony, in the boiler room, garage or outdoors (at low ambient temperatures), it can lead to the failure of the equipment.
Some sellers distort the product description by saying that a freezer can work anywhere, while maintaining the function of reliable and efficient freezing. But this is not true.
Operation of the refrigerator in freezing weather. can or can’t: possible problems and malfunctions
We hasten to please the reader with a positive answer. You can. But it’s not that simple. Here the analogy of operating a car in winter is quite appropriate. That is, the same problems, and the methods of solving them are very similar.
Motorists are well familiar with the difficulties of starting the engine at low temperatures. Practically it is possible only after heating up all technological fluids and first of all the engine oil.
The compressor of the refrigerator also has a special oil, which thickens as a result of prolonged cooling will lead to a breakdown of the entire unit. However, during operation, the stator winding of the electric motor generates a lot of heat. The oil in the compressor is heated up and thus the normal operating mode is ensured.
The conclusion is inevitable. If one puts the “frozen” fridge into the warm room, after some time (10 to 20 hours) one can safely return it to the unheated balcony and switch it on at once.
Another way is to direct a stream of warm air directly at the compressor shell. The negative moments will be tangible power consumption along with intensive work of the heating device for several hours.
It is clear that this heating procedure has to be repeated every time the refrigerator is switched off for a long time.
However, in order to fully operate the refrigeration equipment in winter conditions, just warming up the compressor will not be enough. Below we will consider additional measures and restrictions.
Operating conditions for a freezer on the balcony
If this balcony is glazed, insulated and heated, then of course it is possible to install a freezer there just like in any other room of the apartment. But it is unlikely that you have spent so much effort on the improvement of the balcony just to put there a freezer. Unless you want to turn this space into an extension of your kitchen. But if conditions on a balcony are not so favorable then placing a freezer there can lead at least to its shortened service life and at most to a very quick breakdown. In order to determine how likely this development, you need to take into account several factors: the climate in your region, the condition of the balcony, the peculiarities of the device to be installed.
Find out what conditions are required in order for the freezer on the balcony was suitable for work is easy, just look at its technical data sheet. It, like the vast majority of other household appliances, is designed to operate indoors, that is, at moderately fluctuating and fairly high temperature. Sharp temperature fluctuations, as well as dust and moisture penetration to the working elements of the freezer contributes to their faster wear and tear. Exposure to direct sunlight is also undesirable because excessive heating of the refrigerant can cause damage to the mechanism.
As to low operation temperature limits, they differ from model to model and depend largely on the oil used in the compressor. So it is necessary to dwell on types of oil. It can be mineral oil, synthetic polyester oil and polyvinyl ether oil. The first one quickly becomes viscous when the temperature drops, the two others retain their properties even when the temperature is slightly below zero (from.3 to.5), but will also thicken as the temperature drops further. This peculiarity must be taken into consideration when choosing a model of a freezing chamber for a balcony. The refrigerant was also designed to operate in positive temperature, so if it drops well below freezing, its proper circulation will also be impaired.
Can we put a freezer on the balcony: necessary conditions for installation of a freezer
A freezer works on the same principle as a conventional refrigerator. The coolant used to lower the temperature inside it is usually Freon. The main functional units of the freezer: evaporator, compressor, condenser and capillary piping.
- At a low pressure in the evaporator, freon heats up to boiling and turns into vapor. It is at this stage that it absorbs heat from the interior of the freezer.
- A compressor compresses the steam at high pressure and forces it into the condenser. Freon gives off heat to the surrounding air and cools as it moves.
- The refrigerant enters the liquid state and flows through the capillary tube back to the evaporator.
- The cycle repeats as soon as the temperature in the compartment reaches the set point.
Thus, instead of cooling the air in the freezer, the freezer compartment absorbs heat that is then released into the environment. The movement of the refrigerant is ensured by the pressure difference in the evaporator and condenser, as well as by the “heart” of the appliance. the compressor.
Important! The compressor runs on oil, the characteristics of which largely determine the performance of the appliance under various conditions.
The refrigerant circuit is the same for a refrigerator and a freezer
In addition, each freezer has an automatic system that starts the appliance and stops it from operating if the external conditions are not right.
If there is nowhere else to put the fridge.
and you have decided to install it on your balcony you do it at your own risk. Choosing a balcony or a loggia as a “place of dislocation” of a fridge or a freezer you should approach this question from two points of view: rationality and safety precautions. In order for your refrigerator to serve you for as long as possible, try to observe the following rules:
- Decide what you need your fridge on the balcony for. If you mainly intend to store frozen berries, mushrooms, meat, fruit, etc. on your balcony or loggia.п., then give preference to the freezer compartment. If you require frozen drinks in large quantities during the hot season, then you can look at ST or T climate class refrigerators without a freezer. You will be able to kill two birds with one stone only in the case of the two-compressor models or FULL NO FROST refrigerators. All the rest will simply stop working as soon as the temperature on your balcony reaches sub-zero degrees.
- Make sure that the refrigerator’s climate class corresponds to the temperature on the balcony in the summertime. If you have 40-degree heat on your loggia in the summer, then a normal climate class (N) refrigerator designed for temperatures up to 32°C has nothing to do there. The compressor may not last even one season.
- If you don’t use a freezer, turn off your refrigerator when the temperature on the balcony is below 10°C. As we discussed above, most modern refrigerators stop working as soon as the ambient temperature drops to mildly positive levels. So you can turn the unit off when the temperature on the balcony is as low as 10°C. By doing so, you will also be able to meet the manufacturer’s specifications for a 10°C operating temperature and be able to use your refrigerator during the warmer months.
- Avoid exposing the compressor to direct sunlight. Install blinds and curtains on the balcony to prevent the unit from heating up and premature damage to the paintwork.
- Choose inexpensive refrigerator or freezer options. If after installation on a balcony or a loggia such a refrigerator will break down, the money losses at least will not be very large. By the way, Russian balconies are often inhabited by old Soviet-era units which warranty has long expired and which one can easily throw away in case of breakage.
- Avoid moisture on the unit and high humidity on the balcony. For this purpose, the loggia should be glazed and equipped with a ventilation system (or just periodically ventilate the room).
Operating principle of a freezer
Each appliance has its own requirements for operating conditions. They include the characteristics of the location. To find out if you can put a refrigerator on the balcony, it is necessary to understand how the cooling process.
- Compressor. piston mechanism is responsible for the movement of refrigerant.
- Evaporator. is located in the walls of the freezing chamber and provides heat extraction from it.
- Condenser. transmits heat to the outside, located in the back of the unit.
- The refrigerant (Freon gas most commonly used) is transported by the compressor through the pipelines, delivering heat to the condenser from the evaporator.
When liquid Freon enters the evaporator, it becomes gaseous. Its temperature readings become lower than those inside the refrigerator. Therefore, the freon heats up and the chamber cools down. Then the refrigerant is distilled into the cooler, where it cools down and goes back into liquid form. Once the CFC enters the evaporator, the whole cycle starts again. Freon moves until the desired temperature is reached inside the chamber.
Refrigerants can move steadily through the piping at a specific room temperature. Manufacturers create models that operate stably at standard ambient readings. If the temperature in the middle part of the country varies from 17 to 30 ℃, the refrigeration equipment for these regions will work properly at these indicators. In southern tropical countries, both the temperature and humidity in which the refrigerator can be used will be different.
There is such a thing as climate classes. You can find information about them in the product data sheet. The class value determines the ambient temperature range for which the instrument is designed. This parameter is a key factor when deciding to install a refrigerator on the balcony or loggia.
They are respectively designed for normal, subnormal, tropical and subtropical regions.
What kind of freezer can be installed on the balcony
It is worth installing only refrigeration unit models whose engines are filled with oil that retains its fluidity even in extreme conditions. Otherwise, it just becomes viscous, and you run the risk of incurring huge losses on replacing the freezer motor.
On this basis, the following are best suited.
- Refrigerators with a special system No Frost or with two motors-compressors. They turn on the cooling cycle when the temperature in the chamber begins to exceed the.20 С. Thus, if the air outside the refrigerator is warmer, uninterrupted operation of the unit is quite possible. And this is the temperature that is maintained on a glazed balcony in the middle of the country. But cycles of switching the device on in severe frosts will be rare, and it creates a danger of thickening of oil in the compressor.
- Freezers and chests. The principle of their work does not differ essentially. They will also turn on the freon cycle only when the ambient temperature is higher.24 С. In harsher frosts, you run the risk of the refrigeration equipment malfunctioning. To monitor the situation, you need to install a special outdoor thermometer on the balcony.
On this basis, you can choose a specific model for installation on a balcony. But it is worth remembering that the ideal is a closed room. And if you are selecting a freezing chamber for the insulated balcony or loggia, you can give preference to any variant. The main condition is that the ambient temperature should not drop lower than 20 C.
How does Atlant freezer work?
The equipment of this brand is notable for the simplicity of operation. According to the instructions, place the units in a room with humidity not exceeding 75% and with a temperature appropriate to the climate class indicated for the chosen model. Rated voltage of electric circuit is 220-230 V. Operating your freezer under different conditions can cause it to malfunction. Service life. 10 years.
Depending on the model of the unit, the freezing capacity is 4-8 kg/day. If it is necessary to freeze more products, take out the baskets and set the “Freezing” mode, which is marked on the temperature regulator by the number 7. Turn it on 24 hours in advance. before the cavity is full and after 24 hours. After loading it, turn the relay knob back to the normal position.
Fresh foods should be kept a short distance away from each other to allow air circulation. They must not protrude beyond the edge of the evaporator shelf or beyond the loading limit lines (if any) which are marked on the inner side surface of the chamber. Use foil, plastic bags or plastic containers as wrapping material.
Warning! Store fresh and frozen foods in separate compartments. The latter should be packed tightly, this will keep a low temperature for longer in case of power failure.
The Atlant freezers, not equipped with the No Frost system, should be periodically defrosted. If there is a 5-7 mm thick layer of snow on the inside, do the following
- unplug the unit;
- Remove all food and accessories;
- Leave the door open;
- Remove melted water with a moisture-absorbing cloth or tissue;
- Flush the freezer with warm water and dry it.
When connecting the unit to the mains, set the regulator to the maximum value. After 2 hours. Load the food and turn the thermostat knob to the 3 position.
Caster & Foot Pedal Installation on All Refrigerator & Upright Freezer
When operating the freezer, you may encounter such features:
- Failure to open the door that has just been closed. Wait 1 to 3 minutes., To make the pressure inside the chamber equal to the outside pressure.
- Additional noises. Check the correct location of the unit, its internal components and external elements, the contact of which contributes to the appearance of extraneous noises.
- Shrinkage of the insulation material (polyurethane foam). Any irregularities that occur on the surface of the freezer will not affect the operation of the freezer.
Other problems occurring during the operation of the appliance require you to call a service technician and have the appliance repaired.
What kinds of failures can occur if you do not adhere to the operating conditions?
The whole number of factors can break the fridge functionality: power failure, moisture, short circuit. The refrigerator on the balcony is subject to the same breakages as any other refrigeration equipment.
- Compressor out of order. This is one of the most expensive breakdowns. Repairing the motor is as expensive as replacing it with a new one.
- Breakage in the control module department. Such malfunction may be evidenced by audible, light failures in the overall operation of the equipment, also the control module requires repair if one or both compartments of the refrigeration unit do not work. The most common cause of failure is high humidity in the room.
- Failure of the temperature sensor. If this appliance does not work, the refrigerant will not function productively, the compartments will build up ice. Otherwise the appliance simply won’t work.
- Breakage of the defrost sensor. In the No Frost system refrigerators such appliances are fragile and more often replaceable than repairable.
- The seal in the door. If it’s loose, it needs to be replaced. This breakage seems insignificant, but depressurization can lead to engine malfunction.