Main causes of troubles
The fan consists of a motor, shaft, propeller. Controlled electronically. Protection in the form of a fuse (may differ depending on the manufacturing technology). Unit starts on signal from defrost timer. If malfunctions occur, the causes may be:
Electric fan repair || Motor humming sound || Rotor not rotating || Bushing repair
- Propeller frosting. Heavy snow or ice buildup, making it unable to continue turning.
- Motor failure. Overheating, winding defect.
- Trouble with electronics, contacts. No power to motor or no signal to start.
- Shaft breakage, deformation, jamming.
In some cases poor-quality plastic blades can cause damage. Some manufacturers save on materials that crack or break during operation. Broken elements can block the rotation of the unit.
Repair of floor and table fans with your own hands
After detecting the problem with the fan, you can proceed directly to repair. First prepare the necessary tools and materials, depending on the type of fault. The first thing to check after diagnosing the cord, plug and socket is the serviceability of the electric motor. Often the problem is in the chip, so first determine the level of current flow to the board and the output from the chip. If there is no voltage, the problem is in the chip breakage, which can be replaced.
If there is current to the chip, but the floor or table fan does not turn on, you will have to take apart the case and check whether the current flows inside. If not, the problem is in the electric motor, so you have to give the motor for repair.
- disconnect the two wires connecting the electric plug and the circuit board;
- do the same with the 2 wires going from the board to the motor;
- Connect the new chip.
To understand how to do the repair of the fan yourself, you need to know how the device works. Schematic:
- Induction motor, mounted on standard floor-standing and table fans, has 8 windings for start-up and operation
- For start-up the phase is shifted by 90 degrees by means of a capacitor
- it is started by pressing the start button (first the red indicator turns on, then the motor starts rotating)
- the speed of torque is affected by the 3-speed switch, which has mechanical interlocks for simultaneous switching of speeds.
Replacing the rotor
The rotor is usually on the gasket under the lid or behind the shaft, so to repair or replace it, remove the motor with screwdrivers. The first thing to do is to inspect the wiring, which may be the cause of the malfunction. If there are no defects on it, you will have to replace the rotor, as it is not possible to repair it yourself. Be sure to note down the unit number and purchase the exact same model.
- Carefully disconnect the wire leading to the rotor;
- unscrew the screws;
- Remove the fixture;
- Screw the new rotor firmly onto the base plate.
How to repair the control unit?
Control unit is broken because of worm gearing. You can fix this problem yourself by following the instructions:
- Remove the contact block (the motor does not need to be removed);
- If there are gaskets for the control unit, remove them;
- unscrew the shaft with a screwdriver;
- Remove the control unit;
- Remove the cover from the back, giving access to the worm gear;
- Use a tester to check the functionality (without a breakdown, the resistance parameters should not exceed 50 ohms);
- If it fails, replace the old element with a new one.
What to do if the flange is broken?
Floor fans and table fans use plastic flanges, which are easily subject to breakage, especially if the device is dropped. Therefore, a replacement is needed. How to do it:
- Unscrew the back cover near the motor or shaft depending on the model;
- remove the crank;
- Disconnect the worm gear without removing the control box;
- remove the switch;
- Remove the screws from the flange and disconnect it;
- Reverse the order and install the new flange.
Repair the diffuser
The diffuser is in the control box. The cause of its failure is the twisting of the regulator. Change it as follows:
- Remove the top cover without touching the motor;
- detach the center flange;
- Remove control box;
- remove the diffuser from the back (pry the base off with a screwdriver or knife)
- Replace with new element.
Repairing the cooler
If the part with the propeller and blades is broken, use the following tips:
- If the normal deformation of the impeller on the background of overheating, you need to remove the propeller, slightly warm the blades and align so that they do not touch the protective grid fan.
- If the blades are broken, you will have to buy a new propeller and install it yourself.
- If a small part of the cooler is torn off, the debris can be glued with a reliable glue.
How to Repair a Condenser?
Capacitor usually breaks down because of sudden voltage fluctuations in the electrical network. The part is located behind the central flange. The cause of the fault is the absence of a phase shift or no power supply to the winding. No rotation is the main symptom. Check the capacitor malfunction with a multimeter (measurement mode. resistance).
Discharge the unit to its minimum before measuring (just short-circuit the terminals). After making contact with the probe, watch the readings:
When buying a new device, pay attention to the voltage and capacity of both capacitors. they must be equal. How to replace:
- remove the electric motor from the housing;
- Disassemble the power supply;
- if the crank is in the way, remove it and the flange (depending on the model);
- Disconnect the condenser, install a new one.
How to repair a derailleur?
If the gears won’t shift, look for the problem directly in the derailleur. To do this, do the following:
The most common causes and methods of fixing them:
Household fans are equipped with sleeve bearings mounted on a rotating shaft with bushings. It is not possible to obtain these fixtures because they are pressed into the housing at the factory. Parts are not sold separately, so the entire unit will have to be replaced. To avoid this, often drop machine oil into the bearings.
The point is that in “dry” operation there is a gap between the bearing part and the shaft, which causes axial run-out, reduces the number of revolutions and accelerates wear of parts. Bearings also get dirty, so be sure to clean them before lubricating them.
Crank can become deformed or come out. In the second case, the culprit is the shaft. To get rid of the problem, do the following:
If stainless cranks are deformed, use a vise to straighten them or take the part to a shop.
Lights and buttons
If the indicator light does not come on, it is burned out. Consequently, it is replaced with a new one, for which the design is disassembled. But it also happens that the lamp is red, but the fan does not work. In this case, the culprit is the button assembly. the buttons don’t work. Their work is simple enough. the transition from “on” to “off”.
To check the functionality use a tester, which checks the input and output of the button block. If one of the switches is broken, the whole unit will have to be replaced.
Fan does not turn to the sides
About the causes of such a breakdown is described above, but troubleshooting is as follows:
- If the fasteners on the crank are loose, disassemble the motor housing by removing the cover from the back. Next, under the gearbox, check the degree of connection between the gear wheel and the crank. If necessary, fix with tools.
- If the gears do not work properly, it will be necessary to disassemble the gearbox and remove the pinion. It may be clinging due to wear or lack of lubrication. If worn, replace the part.
- If elements are dry, oil all moving parts.
Problems due to unbalanced impeller
After repairing a floor or table fan, it is necessary to properly install the propeller. Otherwise, the blades will not spin in normal mode. An easy way to do this is to use a static balance. How to do it:
- Put the fan back in operation;
- Set initial rotation manually;
- mark the upper point of the blades with a pencil;
- Make a few rotations.
This manipulation allows you to detect an imbalance. If impeller does not return to zero point, lubricate bearings, if points are congruent, make counterweight. Any improvised materials. nuts, screws, wire, etc can be used for this. д. Attachment of the weight to the propeller is done with duct tape, duct tape, glue. To make the fixed point of the overbalance, mount the weight to the same point, but on the inside of the blade.
The most common cause of fan stoppage is mechanical contamination. The system unit is constantly being pumped with air, and the dust it contains over time settles on the fan components.
The system unit includes all the basic devices for receiving, transmitting, processing and storing information.
Eventually it becomes so much that it interferes with the rotation of the blades. The easiest way to remove dust is to vacuum with a vacuum cleaner tube attached to the air inlet. But that kind of cleaning won’t help for long. The correct way to disassemble the computer and clean the blades and other elements of the fan, mechanically removing contaminants.
My ceiling fan is humming but not working
When the ceiling fan does not spin, the problem may be mechanical or electrical. An example of an easily solved mechanical problem is the failure to remove the packing tabs from your new fan, but unfortunately, most mechanical problems are not so simple. Electrical problems are a little harder to diagnose, but easier to fix. The problem may come down to an unreliable connection, a tripped switch, or a faulty switch. At worst, it could be a blown condenser.
Floor fan repair with your own hands: causes of breakage, how to disassemble
On the hottest summer days, the only salvation from the sweltering heat is a regular floor fan.
Not everybody can afford full-featured split system or even mobile conditioner.
But unfortunately, even this inexpensive and accessible fan, from time to time breaks down. Especially Chinese models fly like sunflower seeds.
And they are in our market in vast majority. What to do if the fan stopped spinning and working? What are his main weaknesses and why it breaks?
Whether the blades don’t spin or the fan makes a lot of noise, most problems with an electric fan are caused by poor lubrication or clogged vents. To solve most of the problems with electric fan disassemble the fan, grease the central pin and bearings and clean the vent and motor case.
To fix this hum, make sure all the fan blades are angled in the same position, use a level and hold it on top of the fan blade and bend the fan blades so they are at the same angle the fan motor has lost its lubricating oil and makes a grinding or creaking sound.
Why isn’t the fan motor turning?
The radiator fan does a very important job.
You may think the fans have stopped working, but in fact the engine may be very quiet and you just can’t hear them working. So before you take anything apart, look under the hood of a running car to see if the radiator fan really isn’t working.
Whenever any of the electrics in the car don’t work, the first thing to check is the fuse. If you do not know where the fuses are located in your vehicle, consult your owner’s manual to find out which fuse controls the cooling system. Make sure the fan fuse is not damaged. If they don’t, replace them and that will most likely solve your problem.
If the engine heats up but the fan doesn‘t work, check the connecting wires. Start by disconnecting the wires. Use a voltmeter to check. Wires should deliver about 12 volts DC. If the values are less, both the wires and the fan relay need to be checked to find out what needs to be replaced.
The temperature gauge determines when the radiator fan turns on by reading the temperature of the cooling system. If the sensor isn’t working, your fan won’t turn on because it won’t know the temperature is high enough to require activation, which can often lead to overheating.
Check the coolant level in the tank.Add fluid if necessary and always try to keep the level near the max mark to avoid possible overheating.
The fan clutch is the assembly where the radiator fan is attached to the motor.There are springs inside the clutch, which can wear out over the years. If all else seems fine, the fan coupling is the most likely cause of failure.
Possible breakages of Timberk fans
Timberk fans have proven to be inexpensive and user-friendly devices for creating comfortable climatic conditions, maintaining air exchange in the apartment or office. Despite the good quality, they are prone to failures.
The following malfunctions have been noticed by the customers during operation:
- blowing volume decreases because of soft plastic blades;
- there are cases of condenser breakage;
- other noises in operation;
- breakage of the electric motor;
- The rotor breaks;
- there is a strong backlash;
- Continuous operation produces the smell of burnt oil;
- Legs bend and change geometry under the weight of the motor;
- overheating of the power supply;
- mechanical breakages at the fasteners.
On the price-quality ratio Timberk products are leaders in their segment. All devices have a manufacturer’s warranty and can be replaced when contacting the service.
How much does it cost to repair?
Restoration of the unit depends on factors:
- Fridge type.
- Construction, location of the fan, difficulty of access.
- The price of components.
- Installing the original part or an analogue.
If the appliance is built-in, the estimate additionally includes dismantling/installation of the device from the kitchen unit. You can get more details from the technician by phone.