What are the freezers like?
Before deciding whether the freezer on the balcony will work in winter or during the warm season, it is worth understanding the principle of the device. Freestanding freezer is a unit of 100-500 liters, designed for freezing, cooling and long-term storage of various products. The capacity of the devices can be in the range of 5-15 kg/day.
Class of equipment is denoted by the number of snowflakes the more. The lower the temperature in the freezer, the longer food can be stored there.
There are also letter indices in the designation. They exhibit a class of energy consumption. D is characterized as medium, and the economical classes are considered A, B, C. The energy efficiency class A is the best. Although the amount of electricity consumed depends not only on the class of equipment, but also on its volume, as well as the operating conditions, including the ambient temperature.
You can also choose a horizontal freezer on the loggia in the form of a chest or vertical, resembling an ordinary refrigerator. The devices also differ in the number of compartments, as well as in the presence of additional functions. Among the latter, the most common are temperature indicators, button lock, door lock. Freezers are also differentiated by the method of defrosting, manual defrost or no frost system is allowed.
How to choose a freezer for a balcony
Small kitchens are quite common in our city apartments, be it a five-story or nine-story house, but large kitchens are a rarity. That is why the owners of such “apartments” are constantly trying to find free space in the interior in order to put there large objects. Including such a place can be a balcony (glazed loggia). But in order to finally figure out whether it is possible to install a freezer on the balcony, it is necessary to understand the principle of operation of the refrigeration unit.
First, let’s look at what refrigerant is used in all refrigerators and other installations and how it freezes food:
- It is a special liquid that is charged into the system;
- Has a boiling point in the range below 0 C;
- When the refrigerant boils in the evaporator, it draws heat from the interior volume of the freezer, causing the food to freeze;
- Then the refrigerant passes through the compressor and is again converted into liquid;
- The accumulated heat is distributed throughout the room by the heat exchanger located on the rear wall of the freezer.
And since the temperature in the apartment is practically always above zero, the refrigerant parameters are chosen for normal operation of the unit under these conditions. Thus, household models of freezers are charged with refrigerant, which is designed for the use of the installation inside heated rooms (apartments, houses and warm balconies). That is why the freezing chamber on the balcony can be installed under the condition that it will be heated in winter. It is better to put the freezing unit on the loggia, which has warm floors and batteries, so the temperature will not go down minus 0 degrees. It is very important if the freezing chamber on the balcony in winter will stand all the time, and you are not going to switch it off.
In practice all manufacturers consider the operating range of the refrigerant in freezing chambers as a climatic class. Therefore for southern latitudes and subtropics respectively the refrigerant is selected taking into account these temperatures so that it can be activated at plus fluctuations. And for northern latitudes there are absolutely other parameters of the refrigerant.
When installing a freezer on the balcony it is necessary to remember that at subzero temperatures the process of transformation of the refrigerant from gaseous state into liquid one begins earlier, that is why it makes impossible the work of the compressor. Thus, operation of a freezer on a balcony or a loggia with a minus temperature will respectively lead to its breakdown.
Also very important is the refrigerator’s electronic unit or thermostat, which is responsible for turning on the compressor. Modern freezing installations have a thermostat that reacts to:
Therefore if the temperature on the loggia is minus, the thermostat will not turn on or off the compressor, and accordingly the freezer will never turn on. Thus, we can conclude that you can install a freezer on the balcony or loggia, but subject to the above conditions.
At what temperature the freezer works
The freezer should work by keeping the temperature inside the chambers within.16-25 °С. The automatic system starts the compressor when it rises to 23 ° C. Thus, it is possible to keep the freezing appliance switched on at.13°С. In this case, the device will work with overloads, negatively affecting the condition of the compressor. Temperature ranges within the climatic parameters of the appliance are acceptable for operation, i.e.е. at least 10 ° C.
What is dangerous for the refrigerator when it is installed on the balcony?
Before you install the refrigerator on the balcony, you need to take into account all the risks and take into account many negative factors that will adversely affect the performance and condition of household appliances:
- The recommended temperature range for modern refrigerators used in our country is 15-35 degrees, which is very difficult to maintain on an unheated balcony;
- Do not forget about electrical safety, so many experts categorically do not recommend installing tees and various extension cords on balconies;
- If your refrigerator is installed on an open balcony or near an open window, snow, rain and other atmospheric precipitation can fall on the body of your refrigerator, which will quickly damage the working elements of your refrigerator and cause them to malfunction;
- The high level of humidity, which is sure to be combined with low temperature, to reduce the operating life of the refrigerator to a minimum;
- Having established your refrigerator on the balcony, you should also think over its use in summer when the case of the equipment will be strongly heated because of the sun rays, which can cause damage to the insulation of cables and rubber parts;
- In addition, a high level of heating will lead to an increase in pressure in the cooling system, so the refrigerator will work continuously, without interruption, which also negatively affects its performance.
These problems are topical in case the refrigerator or the freezing chamber on the balcony will be located in conditions of unheated and non-glazed room.
Storage of vegetables, fruits and other products in conditions of an unglazed balcony in winter is also possible outside the refrigerator.
Is it possible to put a refrigerator on the balcony / in a non-heated room
The size of city apartments is so small that we have to use the balcony. But not every balcony can be equipped with a refrigerator either. But if the size of the unit can be squeezed in there, will it not spoil before time??
For each appliance the manufacturer gives detailed recommendations about the rules of installation. Such recommendations are given with the purpose of maintenance of operability of mechanisms for the specified term of operation.
- The compressor is the component responsible for the movement of the refrigerant.
- Evaporator. removes heat from the refrigerating chamber and is located in the walls.
- Condenser. sends heat outside the appliance, installed in the back.
- Refrigerant moves freely through the pipes only at plus temperature. The instructions indicate which temperature conditions are required for each model. Many models of refrigerators are suitable for use at a temperature of 16 to 30 ℃.
The unit put on the balcony without insulation will not be able to work even for the term promised by the manufacturer. Since at temperatures below 4 0 C, the compressor, sensors, electronic components cannot work. If you open the chamber in the cold, the seals deteriorate. The seal is not repairable, as are many parts, it will need to be replaced.
All domestic refrigeration appliances are designed for indoor use, with a stable temperature, humidity and cleanliness. Cold, high humidity, dust causes rapid wear and tear.
Storing an inoperative freezer in winter
Sometimes in a family there is a necessity to store the freezing equipment in a non-working condition, the best way out is to put it outside the apartment, for example on the loggia, where there is enough space. Such storage in summer is possible on open and closed balconies, as well as in winter.
Non-operating freezing unit during winter time can be installed even on the uninsulated balcony, it is only necessary to pack the equipment carefully, to shelter it from humidity and dust.
It is necessary to choose carefully such place for the freezing cabinet where it is safe from slanting rain and other atmospheric precipitations, dust and dirt.
A freezer on a balcony in winter
The freezing chamber is bought by the hoarders in addition to the main cooling appliance. fridge for long storage of summer crops. That is why as a rule they are used much more seldom, that is why there is no sense to put it in the kitchen room, especially in a city apartment, where every square meter is taken into account.
Where to put an oversized freezer? Often users choose the balcony, not realizing the consequences of this kind of exploitation.
A freezer installed on the balcony in winter has a slightly different operating principle from that of keeping it at room temperature. The refrigerant inside the unit (freon composition) promotes the reduction of the temperature regime inside the chamber.
How to load your chest freezer.
The main functional units of such a design are:
During both cold and warm seasons, the activity of the freezer follows the following algorithm:
- At low pressure, the freon inside the evaporator is heated to a vaporous state. As a result, the interior environment heat is absorbed.
- The activity of the compressor compresses the steam under high pressure, forcing it into the condenser. The movement of the freon causes the heat energy to be released to the surrounding air, followed by its cooling.
- The freezing refrigerant becomes liquid by moving slowly through the capillary tube inside the evaporator.
- When the temperature inside the chamber rises to a certain value, the cycle described above is repeated.
In other words, the freezer first injects heat into itself and then cools it down. The movement of the refrigerant is facilitated by the difference in pressure between the condenser, evaporator and compressor.
Pay attention: Inside the compressor there is an oily liquid, which determines the degree of performance of the whole chamber at different temperatures.
The majority of freezing constructions are equipped with automatics which start the electric appliance and also stop it under the influence of certain factors.
In winter time of the year the freezing chambers exposed on the balcony areas work on a different principle than in summer time. Let’s consider the peculiarities of operation of these devices at low ambient temperatures.
If the balcony is insulated
In an insulated room, the freezer has no restrictions in operation, because the surrounding positive temperatures do not increase the viscosity of the oily liquid contained in the device. There is no cause for concern when the ambient air temperatures are within the specifications of the equipment. In winter period it is most advantageous to keep chest freezers on heated balconies.
Balcony of open type
The chest freezer on the open balcony will not be able to function normally in the wintertime. There are the following reasons for this:
Permeation from precipitation
Both in summer and winter, precipitation can penetrate the open areas unhindered. Under their influence the surface enamel layer and electricity deteriorate.
Exposure to low temperatures
At subzero temperatures the unit practically does not work because of the frequent switching off.
Condensation can form on the technique at high levels of ambient humidity. As a result the probability of corrosion of metal parts increases.
Thus, in winter it is not advisable to take the freezer out into the balcony air!
Glazed balcony without additional insulation
Can the freezing chamber be placed on the glazed balcony without heating?. This is the question many city dwellers ask themselves when they want to free up space in their kitchens. During wintertime it is dangerous to put the equipment out of the apartment even into unheated and glassed-in rooms since there is a great risk that the appliance will be out of order. All street temperatures prevail on the balcony, fluctuations of which lead to increased load on the condenser. The use of the chamber on the loggia (balcony) is allowed in the regions with warm climatic zones.
It is not always beneficial for the owners of apartment to put the freezer on the loggia, but it often helps to save the space in the apartment. The things that are not necessary in daily use are often put away to the balcony so one can keep the freezer there as well.
- Freeing up space in the kitchen. Often freezers are quite compact in width, so they can fit into a narrow balcony aisle.
- Put a freezer on the loggia is possible if you do not use it often.
- With a direct transition from the kitchen to the loggia, the freezer on the balcony in winter will be a convenient solution.
However, this solution also has a negative side. If you install a freezer on a balcony that is not heated, there is a risk of reducing the quality of its work. Not always this part of an apartment implies all conditions for a freezer.
Before you install a freezer on the balcony in the winter and summer, consult with those who have already done it. But it is worth consulting with the tenants of your apartment building to find out about the strength of the surface on which you plan to place the freezer. This will prevent possible consequences for the concrete slabs of the balcony part.
10 Things to consider before buying a Chest Freezer
It is not recommended to install a freezer on the loggia, unless there are bright reasons for this. This leads to some consequences, and is not always easy to use.
If the balcony is insulated
With a closed and insulated balcony, the owner can keep a refrigerator or freezer on without worrying about the possible consequences of using the appliance. However, this place also has peculiarities that should be observed.
An insulated balcony should have additional heating, in addition to the heat coming from the apartment, to prevent disruption of the mechanism.
To store the freezer on the balcony in winter, you should take into account other factors:
- The freezer must not be close to both sides of the balcony bordering the wall of the apartment and the outer surface. It will be inconvenient when using the freezer, as you will not be able to fully open its door. But the contact of the freezer with a plastic window sill leads to the deterioration of the plastic when the appliance motor heats up.
- When installing the freezer, consider that it will be necessary to add ventilation, which will prevent the mechanism from overheating. To do this, you will either need to periodically ventilate the room, or install air conditioning, window adjustment or other ventilation system.
- Regardless of the closed type of construction and its additional insulation, the condition of the device will be affected by external factors. To prevent exposure to sunlight, you need to hang thick curtains, at least in the area of the freezer.
If you take into account these parameters, whether you can install a freezer on the balcony, will get a positive answer. So you will prevent its premature failure, this is due to the fact that the device should work only in certain conditions, and save the space of the apartment.
If the balcony is open
Often, apartment dwellers make the mistake if they decide to install the freezer in the open area. When asking whether you can put a freezer on the balcony, take into account that for this mandatory condition. its enclosure and additional heating. Otherwise, you risk shortening the life of the freezer.
Take into account that if you put the freezing appliance on the open loggia, which is followed by its damage, you will not be able to return the appliance under warranty, because you did not observe the conditions of its operation. You will have to do the repair of the freezer yourself.
When the balcony is open, the freezer is dangerous factors:
- Exposure to external factors. Weather conditions, including rain and sunlight, cause premature deterioration of the freezer.
- Condensation due to high humidity, which increases the risk of corrosion and metal deterioration. And the formation of rust contributes to the reduction of the quality of operation of the mechanism.
- Humidity also contributes to the stripping of the coating of the freezer, causing it to lose its former appearance and functionality.
Note that in sub-zero temperatures the device will not work at all. It shuts down and there is a risk that it will not work again once the temperature returns to normal.
Also, when storing the machine on, you risk the formation of a short circuit due to the increased load on the compressor. It leads to the blackout in the whole house, or in the worst case. the appearance of the fire on the balcony.
Pros Vs Cons: Chest Freezers
Be careful when deciding to keep your freezer on the balcony to prevent the serious negative consequences that this decision entails. Otherwise you run the risk of deteriorating the quality of the mechanism, or save the integrity of the apartment or the entire apartment building when you turn on the device.